D.C. United's Burch, Simms sidelined (update)

In a major setback to its MLS preparations, D.C. United announced Tuesday evening that defender Marc Burch will be sidelined four months and midfielder Clyde Simms will miss four weeks because of injuries suffered at training camp.

Simms, a mainstay in United's defensive midfield, tore knee meniscus and underwent surgery Tuesday. Burch, the starting left back the past two years and an option in central defense this season, has a fractured sesamoid bone in his right foot and will have surgery Thursday.

Burch, from the University of Maryland, started 61 league matches in his first three seasons with United. Simms, in his sixth season, played all but three minutes of the 2008 league campaign and missed only two matches last year.

Rodney Wallace, a left back at Maryland who played primarily in midfield as a rookie last year, is expected to replace Burch and add pace to the flank. Danny Szetela, who is recovering from knee surgery, and Brandon Barklage, whose rookie season was cut short by a knee injury last year, are candidates to fill in for Simms.

United opens the 2010 calendar March 27 at Kansas City.

By Steve Goff  |  March 2, 2010; 7:10 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United's midfield and Quaranta's role
Next: Video: Brazilian magic

Comments

Simms was also the team MVP last season. The outlook was already pretty poor, this makes it worse. Maybe Szetela can help.

Posted by: DC0071 | March 2, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

"United opens the 2010 calendar March 27 at Kansas City."

---------------------------------------------------

You think so, do you?

Seriously though, it's a rough sport, huh?

I knew Burch had a right foot. Maybe, he
can really focus on strengthening it during rehab. If he can ever develop an off-foot, he has a shot at a long career.

Sesamoid bone? Why does that sound familiar? Oh yeah, I gotta go pick up some bagels.

Posted by: fischy | March 2, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Smells like papier mache, bubble gum and tinfoil coming out of RFK this year.

Posted by: Section117 | March 2, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or does it seem like we have the most fragile team in the league?

Are we not tackling properly, or are we just not fit? I can't imagine we've brought in this many guys with genetic defects.

Posted by: SoccerVA | March 2, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I know Wallace having to step in is supposed to be bad news, but I just can't agree. That being said, I hope he makes a full recovery.

Simms is far more troubling. Going into the season with both of your projected central midfielders (crucial if we're going to switch formations) are both nursing injuries, well, that's just not good.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 2, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, any word on how Flo N'Galula has shown in pre-season?

I remember him being an option in defensive midfield.

Posted by: DonDraper | March 2, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

DC United's tagline for this year seems rather appropriate.. "It takes more"....

Posted by: boda-united | March 2, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

SoccerVA:

It's just you. Try to find an injury report from Chivas USA or New England this past season. Trust me: other teams have had it worse.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 2, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Chest beat me to it. DCU's own Lawson Vaughn missed most of a season at Chivas with a crazy nose break, and look at how much Esky's played there...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 2, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I won't miss Burch one bit. I was hoping to lose him in the expansion draft anyway. Simms is another matter. Perhaps the team will forget the PR program to make fans content with our lame central midfield and go pick up someone to anchor the middle.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | March 2, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

25 days until United's first natch!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 2, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, any word on how Flo N'Galula has shown in pre-season?

I remember him being an option in defensive midfield.

Posted by: DonDraper | March 2, 2010 7:46 PM
------------------------------------------------------

As I wrote before, I'm really looking forward to seeing N'Galula play. United has only "lost" one half this preseason (first half against the Crew), and N'Galula didn't come on until haltime, after the goal occurred.

While I was researching that to make sure of it, I ran across some DCUnited tweets in the last hour.

Namoff: "I'm back baby!"

Let's hope so. I don't want to put undue pressure on the guy, but -- If he can play and stay healthy, the team looks a whole lot different.

Posted by: fischy | March 2, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@UnitedDemon

Pretty sure Wallace had taken over that left back spot the day Castillo signed.

Posted by: teo_68 | March 2, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I believe Namoff was saying that he was back to using Twitter, but I suspect that he'll be starting by May...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 2, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Really? Is that all? I think he could have been clearer, even in 140 characters.

Bummer...

Posted by: fischy | March 2, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Approximately 392 days until United's first match in 2011.

Assuming United even exists in 2011. Without a stadium or a contract, who knows??

Posted by: Curious99 | March 2, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Great DCU coverage, Goff; thanks!

Posted by: DaninFL | March 3, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

This sucks. Burch and Simms both hurt! I remember when Simms got injured half way through 2008, and there was a marked decrease in overall team performance. A healthy Burch will be missed too. Especially since he'll be out for so long. Get well soon, guys!

Posted by: WorldCup | March 3, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Geez, Soehn can't even keep his team healthy in the preseason. This must be Soehn's fault again. Right???

Posted by: sevnshvn | March 3, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse