Clyde Simms out 4-6 weeks

Clyde Simms, who missed much of preseason after undergoing knee injury, suffered a Grade 2 hamstring strain Saturday and will be sidelined four to six weeks, a significant setback for a D.C. United club that lost by four goals in its MLS season opener. The extent of the injury was revealed in an MRI exam Monday morning.

Simms is a defensive midfielder but was installed at right back because of several defensive absences: Bryan Namoff continues to recuperate from a concussion; Marc Burch is out for months after foot surgery; Devon McTavish recently hurt a hamstring; Juan Manuel Pena wasn't available after completing final paperwork to join the club; and Julius James was sick much of the week and not ready to start.

If James had been available right away, he could have lined up in central defense, his natural position, and allowed Carey Talley, who was acquired Thursday, to play right back.

Instead, Simms was given that role and Kurt Morsink played in defensive midfield. Simms injured himself.....

challenging for the ball near the sideline in the 31st minute. James replaced him and struggled against the Wizards.

After the match, United Coach Curt Onalfo said that Simms "is a guy that we had to push back into the game quickly because of injuries to some other guys and unfortunately pulled up with a hamstring."

Simms, a typically quick healer, looked sharp in training last week and, other than regaining match fitness and maybe limiting his minutes, said he felt fine to return to the lineup.

Meantime, Daniel Woolard, an outside defender who had been on trial for several weeks but suffered an injury at training camp in Charleston, is no longer with the club. Midfielder Drew Yates remains on trial. I'm expecting the club to soon announce the signing of draft pick Jordan Graye, a defender. Are Josh Wicks's days numbered?

By Steve Goff  |  March 29, 2010; 1:51 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Monday kickaround
Next: MLS news & notes, GolTV in HD, 90 for Bedoya

Comments

We...are...so...screwed.

Having said that, this is MLS and, sometimes, the first half of the season doesn't really matter. Speedy recovery Clyde.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 29, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Things just go from bad to worse. Are we sure the DC Utd FO isn't also in charge of the new MLS website?

Posted by: soccerman | March 29, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Good thing we have Kurt Morsink to tidy things up at d-mid :)

Posted by: delantero | March 29, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I know Onalfo got a lot of flak from people here about starting Simms at right back. But given that we expect our backline to play the ball out of the back now (rather than boot it upfield) and the right back position should involve less running than D-mid, I was absolutely fine with the decision to start him there in an emergency. Obviously James wasn't the answer. I have a hard time believing Morsink would have been a better fit there with Simms at D-mid.

Posted by: JoeW1 | March 29, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Aaaaand we have our first hammy injury of the year. Who won the pool?

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 29, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Down with the Pompey
We're going down with the Pompey
Doowwwwwn with the Pooooompey

Oh right

Posted by: Kev29 | March 29, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Based on some of the opinions I've read today I'm thinking we should just start up the DCU farewell bandwagon. I hope you guys are wrong because personally I find it very discouraging to think the SSS ship has sailed. If that is true, then what's the point of doing anything to include following the team.

Posted by: blackandred777 | March 29, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree. That's why I suggested we do something. However, I do like the ignorance is bliss thought. At least we can pretend all is well.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Aaaaand we have our first hammy injury of the year. Who won the pool?

Posted by: edgeonyou
---------------------
+1. Well, we can still have the pool on total number of hamstring injuries for the season. I think the over/under is at 11.

Posted by: troy6 | March 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerman

Not far from the truth.... seriously..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | March 29, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the MLS site... I usually pay the $20 or so to be able to watch games online all season. The video quality isn't optimal, but it's usually not bad and I like that it gives me the option of watching archived games in case I had to miss the live version. I tried to use it for the KC game, but all I could get was the match tracker giving me the score and fouls and stuff. The button for "watch live" was greyed out. Does anyone know why? Was anyone else able to watch the game this way? I ended up watching a really bad feed on justin.tv.

Also HATED the announcers. They were so boring and didn't even know the DCU player's names. Not that this is the MLS website's fault.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 29, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

sign Jordan Graye already. This is what you get for trading your draft picks. Dont tell me about Perkins, we could have gotten another Goalie.

Posted by: godpere | March 29, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

OT: Worth a read, from our Insider colleague:

I had no idea there were multiple grades of hamstring injuries. Then again, I never had enough hamstring muscle to find out.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 29, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Was going to buy a new jersey this year but I'll wait til they're on sale which shouldn't take long at this rate.

Posted by: ihillvt | March 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I heard that somehow the internet feed was blacked out in our area. It was a banner weekend for MLS. They screwed the TV package up royally. Maybe next year they'll think twice about putting it all together at the last minute just like they did this year and the past several years.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 29, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@ WorldCup, it was greyed out because Direct Kick - some channel that is available to exactly 7 people nationwide - had exclusive rights. I emailed the support folks, and they basically said that for those in the local service area, MLS Live wouldn't carry any of the games. They would only be available if there was NO TV coverage at all. So if you don't have FSC or DK, or like me, don't have cable at all, you're SOL for most games.

To the broader topic, that just sucks. We really can't catch a break, can we?

Posted by: dcbird | March 29, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: godpere | March 29, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

hindsight is 20/20, but Busch would have been a great pickup without losing Fred & our 1st rounder

Posted by: beergorila | March 29, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

What we are seeing here with player pesonel is the natural result of not having any movement on the stadium/revenue situation. Chang is going to limit his investment in players until we get some movement there or he finds the multiple owner principals he is hoping for. This is not to say he won't come across with some DP monies, but, as I mentioned previously, that won't happen until after the World Cup. Someone mentioned that the front end of the MLS season is not that important. Pretty sure the FO feel the same and so if we can "skate" through that with a 50-50 record or so, that will be OK with them. Economical way to manage on an underperforming investment.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | March 29, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Worldcup:

As best I can tell, MLStv or whatever they are calling it won't carry live matches which are on national TV networks, or on local cable networks in the user's area. My understanding on the DC-KC game is that there were crossed signals on the latter point; the league assumed the game would be carried on local cable in and around DC.

For the games that are carried on the new site, the season subscription price has doubled, but the quality is 1000 times better.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@Worldcup

I watched the KC vs DCU game live saturday night via the MLS website. I didn't have the "greyed out" problem you had. The announcers were pathetic, and a my feed stalled two or three times (though probably due to my wacky comcast internet). The video quality was HD, which was great since i don't have an HD TV. The only problem is the HD quality wan't sustained constantly, and the feed jettisoned from standard quality to HD quality a few times. HD feed looked great otherwise.

Posted by: invncbl | March 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"It takes more...." hamstring injuries...

Posted by: Section117 | March 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Godfather,

They knew on Friday that this was a problem. I was contacted by the DCU front office who informed me that they had contacted MLS and that it would be taken care by game time. The signals weren't crossed, MLS just blew it.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 29, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

So, if Kurt Morsink pulls a hammy, do I get called up? I've been kind of good in my rec league lately, and I'm starting to think that must put me in contention for DC United's midfield.

Posted by: jsm91 | March 29, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if having Fred would have done us any good. Did he even play in the Philly/Seattle match?

Posted by: rss317 | March 29, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm willing to give the MLS package a pass. $40 for a whole season on there is still better than the hard-to-TiVo-scheduling and not-HD-quality of Direct Kick.

Plus I can catch games at home, on the road, at the in-laws...

I'll give MLS some leeway here. Sure, you'd think schedule and other things would have been sorted since the roll-out was a long-time coming. But, just like United, sometimes everyone needs a week to workout the kinks.

And, really, I blame the Capitals for being so good that CSN couldn't carry the match ;)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 29, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@ Ruthie1

While I agree this might be the issue, I would hope the FO should know that it will become a self-defeating strategy. As the product on the field becomes less competitive/attractive, it will draw less interest. And while ticket prices have increased (while ticket-buyer salaries have stayed flat), even long-term season ticket holders are facing the question of where to best spend their entertainment dollars.

If this is the FO strategy, then I fear it is only a pretext to find reason to move United away from DC to a location with will provide the SSS needed.

Posted by: carnack | March 29, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Kurt Morsink = Lazo Alavanja Part II

Posted by: jaidaver | March 29, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

BlueBlood,

Saturday night I posted over on the Caps insider that it now looks like the only good team in town is the Caps. They have the burden of an entire city on their backs right now. God bless them and Rock the Red!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 29, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@dcbird - WOW! That really sucks. I have basic basic cable that doesn't even get Comcast Sportsnet (can't afford more), so the "MLS Live" online thingy was my only way (except when games are on Telefutura). If it'll only carry games for the local market every now and then, why would I bother signing up? To watch two teams I don't care about play each other? Looks like I'm sticking with pixilated -illegal, guess - justin.tv and similar sites.

Actually, this really irks me. NBC did this for the Olympics too. They're tying content previously available on the Internet to the kind of television package you have. In order to watch the Vancouver games on the Internet, Comcast told me I had to upgrade my cable TV package. But if I've upgraded my TV subscription to get MSNBC and all the other channels under the Moon, why would I want to watch it on the computer? I'd much rather pay a specific fee for certain content to be able to watch it online irregardless (!) of my cable TV subscription. I want my TV and Internet content separate.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@ Ruthie1

Posted by: carnack | March 29, 2010 3:09
PM | Report abuse

This is how it plays out in virtually every sport and city that needs a stadium/arena and doesn't get one. I will add that I don't think the FO is going to spend money at anytime during the season and i can't blame them. I know for a fact that they are pinching pennies in the day to day operations. I just can't see them spending excess dollars on players. Think Florida Marlins.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 29, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@rss217: Fred didn't play b/c he was serving his red card suspension earned from the last game of last season.

MatchDay Live was blacked out for the first 30 minutes or so of the game but it picked up after that. The picture quality was nearly perfect, though the local KC announcers were painful to listen too.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | March 29, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Said it before, I'll say it again: I'll trade five years of wooden spoons for a positive stadium situation resolution. Gladly, immediately, earnestly.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 29, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

D.C. Council chairman Vincent C. Gray (D) will announce Tuesday afternoon he will challenge Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) for the Democratic nomination for mayor, sources said.

--No word on whether his first act as mayor will be to build DCU a stadium.

Posted by: rockotodd | March 29, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Do you know anyone who works for the league? If so, do you honestly see MLS paying a bunch of creative/IT types massive overtime to debug the site, when there was no CBA until 5 days before the season started? Just a thought. The revamp has been promised for a couple of years now; a few more days or weeks isn't going to kill us....

And speaking of streaming vs. TV, did anyone catch the Bayer/Schalke match over the weekend on ESPN3(60)? There was no live commentary AT ALL, just great video coverage, a few graphics, and booming natural sound from inside the stadium. Whether this was an experiment or just a funk-up of some kind, it was far and away the best soccer coverage I have ever experienced. Let's hope something comes of it -- maybe selectable audio on the web/tv or just let the yappers do radio.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 29, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"One cool thing about the MLS MatchDAY Live site is you have the option of displaying scores or not. That way you can login late and watch a game with out the site spoiling the result before you watch it."

Posted by: invncbl

That is cool. For the last few seasons, whenever I tuned in late or watched the game the next day, I had to use a piece of paper to partially cover the screen when logging in so I could maintain the suspense.

Of course, now that they'll have very few United games available to area residents on the site, it doesn't matter anyway.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 29, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It was just the first game. Positioning was a problem due to illness and injury. With Pena in the back and James healthy - we will have a much more solid defense.

The only thing I am concerned about is Morsink. He is absolutely terrible in the middle. Does anyone know if Talley plays CDM?

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | March 29, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

My problem with both the DK issues and web site issues over the weekend was the delivery schedule. If this year was the exception then I would give them a pass. However, they have done this almost every year. You can't expect to roll everything out just before the season starts. No other league works it that way and MLS cannot continue to do so.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 29, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

espn 360 does not give you the espn feed. it is usually the "back door" feed.. for the seatle v philly match harksie and jp were discussing beer and sounder babes. espn360 viewers were lucky, we didn't have to listen to Alexi during the first 30 minutes.

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | March 29, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Duh, I forgot the 360 feed. That would've been much better than whatever I had.

Posted by: Reignking | March 29, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I still can't find the god danged box scores on the new site. Irritating. I don't want to pick through match reports to figure out who did what.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 29, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

There was cause for concern from day 1 of off-season that the DCU front office was distracted with a Coaching Search & the never ending Stadium issue; and that player personnel activities didn't receive the proper attention. Payne & Kapser have more than validated the concerns. If there is a lack of budget/money to acquire Top Talent due to revenue concerns associated w/the lack of a DCU specific facility the organization should just come out and address it. There is seemingly no plan in place or vision for DCU post Olsen & Co.

It shouldn't be a major set-back to see Clyde Simms out 4-6 weeks. A nice supporting role player but Simms should not be a make or break player on any MLS club roster...
It should not have been just the head coach that was jettisoned last off-season. Ownership needs to step up and create some urgency / accountability around managment of the club by Payne & Kasper.
Maryland Stadium Authority is getting closer to a DCU proposal which will bring clarity to the Md. portion of a stadium option. Northern Virginia has no plan and The District is out unles private money bubbles up so it is MDStadiumAuthority's deal to lose at this stage. There has been recent talk about a Stadium Complex in Montgomery County near the SoccerPlex. More to follow...
Was Onalfo the best choice or DCU's only choice

Posted by: Zipfutbol | March 29, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Clyde is one of DCU's better players to be sure; however, nothing against him, but what does it say about your team if a d-mid is your MVP?

The bottom line is that Simms is a Kasper guy, brought in from Richmond in exchange for a couple of friendlies as a means of demonstrating that he had the connections in the USL that could deliver players. Clyde had the lowest body fat on the team, but as a result he is prone to the muscle injuries that he suffered this past game. Brian Carroll was off-loaded by Soehn and Kasper largely to make room in the firts 11 for Clyde. BC, who is one of the most durable players in MLS, chugs on, while Clyde sits for 4 - 6 weeks. You do the math.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 29, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I have DK on DirecTV. No problems. Saw the whole game in HD.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | March 29, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Was Onalfo the best choice or DCU's only choice

Posted by: Zipfutbol | March 29, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I believe Onalfo was the default choice. It was a shotgun wedding, soccer style. DCU needed a coach. Onalfo needed a job. Both were disgraced last year and this was a grasping at straws for redemption by both parties.

Bottom line...no coach who is a proven performer, or up-and-comer, would want to be associated with this moribund franchise. The risks of walking into a career-killing job are just too high. Simply put to anyone good, DC United is radioactive right now. And so it goes, from Soehn, to Onalfo, to...???

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | March 29, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I am indifferent to Simms. I think it is time to trade him anyway...He has no touch on the ball what so ever and he's slow. Other than Wallace and Pontius, there is nobody on the roster that is of any real quality...

Posted by: alan19 | March 29, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

So umm... is Joe Vide available? He's much better than Morstink, and I thought we were short-sighted in waiving him last season.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 29, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Jakovic, no pressure.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 29, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Joe Vide.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 29, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

The announcers were pathetic.

Posted by: invncbl | March 29, 2010 2:49 PM

Dave Borchers, Sasha Victorine and some chick on the sidelines who was obviously doing her first live shot and was reading an out of date injury report. Made me wish for Sean Wheelock, it did.

Posted by: Zipfutbol | March 29, 2010 4:22 PM

No there hasn't. If there has I'd like to see a link or a source.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | March 29, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is the most negativity I've ever seen on an internet thread, and I used to post on BigSoccer.

Jeebus.

Wait, can I even post that much by itself, or do I need to add a "Fire Onalfo!" to make it past the censors?

Posted by: vivzig | March 29, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ihillvt | March 29, 2010 2:36 PM
__________________________________________

I was thinking of buying a delaware.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 29, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ihillvt | March 29, 2010 2:36 PM
__________________________________________

I was thinking of buying a delaware.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 29, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty amazing that this team will be starting Kurt Morsink and Santino Quaranta in central midfield. Possession game? Who are they trying to kid?

Forget waiting for the summer transfer window. Get Riquelme, or someone similar who will help me forget that this team was trying to pass off Morsink and Quaranta as a legitimate starting central midfield pair...

Posted by: fischy | March 29, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

U&P that joke was soo good you had to post it twice twice.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 29, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

@lgm6986

what are you talking about, simms played more minutes that anyone else on the roster last year, more than anyone, zero injuries even through they rode him like a mule playing 90 minutes 3 times a week in some cases, agreed, no a make or break player, but he has good touch, covers a lot of ground defensively and rarely turns the ball over. the casper guy comment is just funny and is way over-analyzing to this they did it for a favor to richmond, you are an idiot.

Posted by: jay-jay | March 30, 2010 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jayrockers | March 29, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

No there hasn't. If there has I'd like to see a link or a source.

Thx,
Jay!
Stadium noise>>>>>
Maryland Stadium Autority leadership has met with Montgomery County Executives about DCU facility and talks are ongoing - investors are a desired element but not a deal breaker. Gary McGuigan Project Executive & John Samoryk Procurement Officer met recently with Isiah Leggett & Nancy Floreen.
To your point MSA has not announced it or launched a web site about it but attend a few business dev. meetings and get the introductions and MSA is happy to discuss the topic. Baltimore is still their 1 st choice and Prince Georges waterfront still in the mix. MSA wants to deliver a project to either Montgomery or Prince Georges County if possible. Balt. waterfront still the best bet but MSA feels urgency to work w/other State Govt. municipalities. Call MSA directly and ask about it....

Posted by: Zipfutbol | March 30, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse