Countdown to D.C. United opener

D.C. United practiced in the rain at the RFK Stadium training grounds Friday morning before packing its bags for an afternoon flight to Kansas City ahead of Saturday night's opener against the Wizards (8:30 p.m. ET, Direct Kick cable/satellite package).

As season preparations accelerate, the personnel evaluation slows. A few contracts still need to be finalized, but at the moment, here's how the roster looks:

Goalkeepers: Troy Perkins, Bill Hamid#, Andrew Quinn, Josh Wicks*.

Defenders: Dejan Jakovic, Devon McTavish, Julius James, Juan Manuel Peña, Bryan Namoff*, Carey Talley, Rodney Wallace, Marc Burch*, Lyle Adams, Barry Rice.

Midfielders: Christian Castillo, Santino Quaranta, Clyde Simms, Kurt Morsink, Brandon Barklage, Boyzzz Khumalo, Tiyi Shipalane, Andy Najar#.

Forwards: Jaime Moreno, Chris Pontius, Danny Allsopp, Adam Cristman.

Still on trial: Jordan Graye, Daniel Woolard, Drew Yates.

*long-term injuries
#homegrown signings exempt from roster limits

So who will start Saturday? Most of the selections are.....

.....obvious: Perkins will be backed up by Hamid. Jakovic will anchor the backline, and with Peña unavailable after sorting out visa issues in Spain, James is the top choice to step in. James is recovering from a stomach virus but expected to play. McTavish has been slowed by a hamstring injury, opening the right back slot for the newly acquired Talley, who said he played seven or eight games on that corner last year. Najar was tested at right back in the final preseason match but is a natural attacker and not prepared for defensive responsibilities.

Simms has regained fitness to the point where he can start. Morsink is the other option in deep central midfield. Quaranta is the two-way central midfielder, with Castillo on the left and perhaps the pacy and unpredictable Khumalo on the right. Would Onalfo dare to start Najar? A second-half appearance seems more likely. Moreno and Pontius are the first-choice forwards.

How would you like to see DCU line up?

By Steve Goff  |  March 26, 2010; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround
Next: Saturday kickaround

Comments

I guess that means Wallace is on the left side of the backline?

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 26, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

pedantry alert!

Pena does not need a visa to play for DCU. He needs a work permit to play for DCU. Visas are only for entry into the United States and he was already here (and could have adjusted status without leaving). He does, of course, need to get a visa to leave the country and return (an away match at Toronto, for example). If his work permit has been approved by DHS, embassies and consulates could issue a visa the same day. Sounds to me like they are trying to get all of his legal processes completed right away. I appreciate the effort to front-load the process, but there was no legal requirement for him to go to Spain or anywhere else.

Posted by: troy6 | March 26, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

4-3-3, balls to the wall...

-----------------Perkins-----------------

McTavish---James/Pena---Jakovic---Wallace

------------------Simms------------------

------Tino------------------Castillo-----

----------Allsop--Moreno--Pontius--------

Posted by: Kev29 | March 26, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd like a 4-2-3-1, but that is not Onalfo's style, plus they've already said they will be trying to keep Pontius up front more consistently this season. Still, if it were me ...

Perkins
Talley-Jakovic-James-Wallace
Simms-Morsink
Pontius-Quaranta-Castillo
Moreno

Moreno isn't ideal as a target man, but he and Quaranta could overlap as the game went on, supplying through balls to each other as well as the wingers.
Regardless of how they line up though, I'll be rootin for em!

Posted by: mjhoya12 | March 26, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

-------------Wicks-------------

??---Jakovic----James---Wallace

Khumalo--Quaranta--Simms--Castillo

------Moreno--------Pontius---

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 26, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think Hoya is on the right track, but if you are going to use that formation and that personnel, I think you are better to do this:

Perkins
Talley-Jakovic-James-Wallace
Simms-Morsink
Quaranta-Moreno-Castillo
Pontius

Basically just rotate the Q, Moreno, Pontius triangle. Moreno will be much better at distributing than Q and Q's better position is out right anyways. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: BlackAndRed337 | March 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, replace McTavish with Talley in my formation above...

Posted by: Kev29 | March 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Casillas
D. Alves - Ferdinand - Lucio - Evra
Xavi - Gerrard
Messi - Rooney - C. Ronaldo
Drogba

(Oh wait - I thought you were asking for the D.C. United lineup of my dreams. Sorry.)

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | March 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I just wish the game were on Comcast or FSC...how else are we going to actually see how this team plays?

Posted by: soccerman | March 26, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Troy6, your statement would only be true if Pena had already been granted P-1 status. How you suppose he did that? Change of status within the U.S.? Hadn't he just entered from Mexico? What about preconceived intent? Do you honestly think the league would have already filed a P-1 petition with DHS before he signed?

Posted by: DCUcompa | March 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Let's pressure KC straight away:
Moreno plays a withdrawn central striker role and Allsopp and Pontius run on to #99's magic diagonal passes. 2nd half bring in Najar who will be so pumped up that none of the KC defenders will be a ble to track him and pull Allsopp or Pontius based on who isn't performing... Attack KC! I would love to see Santino push forward as well if he is up for it - problem is that crap KC facility is so tight...

Posted by: Zipfutbol | March 26, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Miles_Standish,

You've fallen prey to a common form of Florentinitis — in putting together your Galacticos, you've left out a midfield destroyer. I guess you must have typed "Gerrard" instead of "Olsen". It's a common mistake.

Posted by: Kenobi | March 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Philly's outside backs (esp. on the right) were absolutely OWNED last night. Emphasize overlapping runs on the wings and low crosses through the box, with Tino, Jamie, and Party Boy there to put shots on goal.

4-1-3-2 (or 4-1-3-1-1 if you prefer)

-----------------Perkins-----------------

McTavish----James------Jakovic----Wallace

------------------Simms------------------

Boyzzz------------Tino-----------Castillo

----------------------Moreno-------------

--------------Pontius--------------------

Posted by: dcbird | March 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if DirectKick is free for this opening weekend so that we can watch DCU from home instead of going to a bar?

Posted by: jofij | March 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@jacob: Wicks!?! Dude mail me some of what you're smokin' brother cuz you are obviously in outer space!
;)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

-----------------

you do realize we arent playing Philly tomorrow, yes?

Posted by: Section107 | March 26, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Troy6, DCUcompa,
Peña is a EU national (spain) and does not need a visa to enter the USA... he does however need a work permit in order to play for MLS... I dont think he needs a visa for Canada either.

Posted by: LOCOXUNITED | March 26, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't quite understand calls for Castillo to play centrally, as his strengths are clearly suited for wing play.

I would be interested in a 4-3-3 at somepoint, but to name a favored roster at this point doesn't seem necessary. We have yet to see how any of our forwards (outside Moreno) will stack up in a prominent role. I'm just curious to see who is currently favored.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Wait - I am already looking ahead to next weekend...

For KC, with their revamped roster, I'd be more inclined to use Tino on the wing and maybe even start Barklage in the middle, leaving Boyzz off.

Posted by: dcbird | March 26, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

How the heck did I do that?

I'll blame it on having to go in to work at 3 this morning...

By the way, under the category of "things no human should ever have to learn the hard way", 24 hour McD's don't start serving breakfast til 4 am. That really bummed me out at 2:40 this morning when I hadn't had breakfast yet.

Obviously, I meant Perkins.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 26, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

LOCOXUNITED, I'm afraid you're mistaken as well. Spaniards are only visa exempt under the visitor visa (B-1/B-2) category. And, besides, that's not really the point.

Posted by: DCUcompa | March 26, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

@Sec107 I realized this after I posted. Getting ahead of myself here. I'm from PHL originally, have my tickets for next weekend, and am apparently a little overeager to see our boys wipe the floor with Novak's Union.

Oh, and beat KC.

Posted by: dcbird | March 26, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if Comcast is working to get a deal to broadcast the away matches? I hate to buy Direct kick but I might have to if thats the only option.

Posted by: coastalsoul | March 26, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else curious as to why Fred didn't play last night? Is he injured?

Posted by: DCUcompa | March 26, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind it looks like they pick up they games in the coming months only really 2 games that are only on Direct Kick.

Posted by: coastalsoul | March 26, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

where are all you people coming up with these crazy formations. At the end of the day, it always reverts back to the basic 4-4-2 but the main emphasis should be hard work, especially coming back on Defense.

Anyway, so what is the deal with Allsop? I thought he was brought in to provide top goal scoring in replacing Emilio. He's not even a starter?

Posted by: godpere | March 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Was Carey assigned his old number 3?

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 26, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Looks like they might need Pontius back at right mid.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Heads up that Marshalls has 08/09 authentic home jerseys for $40. Just picked one up in Silver Spring store. S and XL left on the rack there, and there are prob. more in other stores around the area.

Posted by: JRandomReader | March 26, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@DCUcompa - Fred was serving a red card suspension last night. He was sent off in our last game of the season last year for blocking a goal with his hand at the end of the game.

@godpere - I think the FO underestimated Jaime for this year. I think they figured he'd play super-sub and we'd start Party Boy and the Aussie up top, but Jaime's form is really demanding a start, so one of Pontius or Allsop has to sit.

As for the wing, I'd rather see Barklage start on the right side - Boyzzz or Najar as a sub if we need the speed there or up top later in the game.

Posted by: TheAMT | March 26, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho - are you cleared to travel for this match? If so, enjoy the BBQ!

Posted by: BaltoFan | March 26, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

x-mas tree

Troy in goal
Wallace, Jakovic, James, Talley in D
Castillo, Simms, Tino in mid
Moreno, Pontius withdrawn
Allsop up top

Posted by: Tweaked | March 26, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

If you have FIOS please call right now and complain. They are planning on a blackout of the game tomorrow night on DirectKick even though it it not televised locally. This may be a problem on other cable systems as well. The tech guy for FIOS told me the only way to stop this is to call and complain. 1-888-553-1555. Call now!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

------------------Perkins------------------
--------Talley---Jakovic--James---Wallace------

Boyzzz-----Simms---------Tino----- Castillo

---------Moreno-------------------------
-------------------Pontius-------------

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

...McD's don't start serving breakfast til 4 am. That really bummed me out at 2:40 this morning when I hadn't had breakfast yet.

Obviously, I meant Perkins.

-----

Yeah, Perkins serves pancakes at all hours.
;)

Posted by: -rke- | March 26, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else curious as to why Fred didn't play last night? Is he injured?

Posted by: DCUcompa |

Red card from the last game of the 2009 season, I believe,

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

You are correct about Fred. It was a red card.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Fred really could have helped Philly out last night, what with his excellent posession and distribution of the ball.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 26, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Since this has turned into the State and DHS travel blog, why why does the Fed employee passport come in shoot-me-first-Mr-Terrorist red.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 26, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about this the more I doubt this blackout issue tomorrow night is specific to FIOS. I might be wrong but my guess is that this will be a problem on other systems as well.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 26, 2010 2:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------

Huh??? I don't understand refutations of proposals that no one has made. However, if anyone had called for Castillo to play centrally, I'd say that would not play to his strengths. On the other hand, I've made the same argument about Quaranta, and look who's going to play in the middle...

Talley on the right. James, alas, in the middle, if he's OK to play. Khumalo on the wing. Pontius and Moreno up top, but I expect Allsopp to start and Pontius to come off the bench (or play the wing).

@TheAMT -- I definitely think the team is surprised by Moreno's resurgence, but I think they've probably overrated Allsopp's scoring potential, too. Of course, I could be pleasantly surprised. Let's not put too much stock in training games. He hasn't played much with the entire first XI.

Posted by: fischy | March 26, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

-------------Perkins--------------
Perkins--Perkins--Perkins--Perkins
Perkins--Perkins--Perkins--Perkins
----------Perkins--Perkins--------

Posted by: WorldCup | March 26, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@croftonpost -- Do we know if there's a DirectKick blackout, or is it possible that FiOS is just ignoring the ugly stepchild of NBA Pass (or whatever it's called)? Is it possible, the info about Direct Kick hasn't been entered in to the program guide and that it's lamely omitted from promotional info on the Verizon site? Maybe, the games will magically appear? I'm checking for tonight's match, as a test.

Posted by: fischy | March 26, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Fischy,

It is definite. It was straight from the mouth of tech support who was looking at the blackout data for tomorrow night's game on DCU-KC game on channel 1498. It listed MD, DC, VA, and DE. It's a huge problem. Some freeview! I just purchased DirectKick as well. I won't be happy if this is a regular occurrence.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Where is Curious99 to tell us how many days until United's next match?

Posted by: WorldCup | March 26, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the typo.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

So the big article on mlssoccerfootballfutbolfussballcalcio.com is that Wynne felt blindsided by the trade. But when you click on the image, you get page not found. Semi-censorship?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Perkins
Talley-Jakovic--James?-Wallace
Quaranta-Pontius-Simms--Castillo
Moreno-Allsop

4-4-2 in name only. Moreno is more withdrawn, Quaranta pushes up, Pontius only in midfield cause we lack another true center midfielder and he can play all over, and i hope wallace pushes up as well. Man our defense still sucks, hope Pena hurrys back. We need to pick up at least 1 quality DP after the world cup if we're going to have any shot at all in the playoffs.

Posted by: Brian76 | March 26, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@I-270. I think the site is just a mess -- just isn't working well. When it first went up, I couldn't get any links to work. T

Posted by: fischy | March 26, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

and the winner is...DadRyan

I do not think that Onalfo is going to stray from the lineups he used during the preseason. I especially don't think that Pontius is going to move back into MF since he played forward all preseason. Therefore I go with what DadRyan posted:

Perkins
Talley - Jakovic - James - Wallace

Boyzz - Quaranta - Simms - Castillo

Moreno - Pontius

Posted by: no_recess | March 26, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I was also told that the game tomorrow night on DK is blacked out in our area. This sucks!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | March 26, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1,

That site is utter cr*p. Anybody found an injury report or matchcenter yet? I tried the search box and all it turned up was the injury report from MLS Cup. And I had to go to BSPN for the box score on last night's game.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 26, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody other than Gambrills called to complain about the blackout? If so what were you told?

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I can't call FIOS cuz I don't have it. I sure hope you folks who do are calling and complaining. Are you guys saying that if you went to an official viewing party at Molly's or the Continental that the game will be blacked out there too? WTF?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Dad,

I never thought about that. I guess it is a possibility. I have no idea who makes these blackout decisions and neither did the tech support guy for FIOS. However, he did groan loudly when I informed him I was immediately posting this on SI. :)

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

What was the reasoning for the black out? It doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I just called DirecTV to see about this "free preview" I am reading about....I have had the Directkick package for the past few years, but my wife had recently called and canceled the automatic renewal for this year (or so I thought). First off, the guy said I was still signed up for the Directkick package (excellent) and second, that it would not be blacked out in my area. Granted, I live in Marshall, VA (Fauquier County) but I'm only 20 miles West of Manassas, so I would assume I am still considered the Northern Virginia area.

Vamos United! Let's take care of business!! Ready to rock the Black and represent up in Mfiddy next weekend!

Posted by: Smitty68 | March 26, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

compa and loco: if he came in under the visa waiver with his EU passport, then he cannot adjust status. that certainly explains why he had to go back to get that fixed. had he arrived on a valid B1/B2, he could have adjusted to P-1 status directly with DHS without leaving the country.

270: actually, the red official passport is the same color as the uniform EU passports. it's the blue ones (and the diplomatic black ones) that cry out, "shoot me first."

to all: sorry for raising the subject, but it's dear to my heart (yesterday I was ranting even worse about the nonsense being spouted regarding the underwear bomber's visas).

Posted by: troy6 | March 26, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I am sure everyone knows that Directkick is the DirecTV MLS package. Also, I asked him specifically to check the D.C. vs. Wiz game and he said "it will not be blacked out". At least not for me..

Posted by: Smitty68 | March 26, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Dad,

He didn't know. He assumed that it was done in error and that is why he encouraged callers.

Smitty,

I'm not surprised about Direct TV. Direct TV and Dish Network work separately from the Indemand network. It's the Indemand network that is probably where the problem lies. They handle all cable systems for DK including FIOS.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

FYI-I also called my contact at DCU's ticket office about this. He was going to look into it and call me right back. That was 2 hours ago. Not a good sign.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

well, I hope it gets resolved. If all else fails I suppose I could order the MLS MatchDay Live thing. It appears that it's $3.95 for a 24 hour pass...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

No one votes for Cristman? I mean, I get it, but no one?

Perkins
Talley-Jakovic-James-Wallace
Cristman-Simms-Quaranta-Castillo
Moreno-Pontius

Posted by: DWE4 | March 26, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Dad-I was thinking the same thing but I purchased DirectKick which p####es me off. It's just the principal of paying twice for the same thing right now. Not to mention the picture quality won't be nearly as good.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Start Najar!

Posted by: spidergoose | March 26, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

-------------Perkins--------------
Perkins--Perkins--Perkins--Perkins
Perkins--Perkins--Perkins--Perkins
----------Perkins--Perkins--------

WINNNN!

Posted by: jdickinson187 | March 26, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the return of the formations thread soon to be followed by the "blame _____ for the loss/dropped point/signings" thread. And for the fringe (we have lot's of those running around these days) - the old "Fire the Coach" or "We should have hired ______" threads. Oh regular season, how I have missed you so... Welcome back.

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | March 26, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

When can we expect official word on Rice and Quinn? Are they even with the team in KC?

Posted by: sockey1 | March 26, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

troy6, not sure why you continue to lecture on immigration law on this blog. But, since you have, I'll lecture right back at ya. If Peña had entered the US from Mexico on a B-1/B-2 (after the Santos Laguna game), and applied for a change of status ("adjust status" is the wrong term in this context) so soon thereafter, the USCIS likely would not grant him a change of status to P-1 - doctrine of preconceived intent. In short, consular notification would have been the only practical option. From your posts, you sound like a consular officer or DHS employee. Am I right?

Anyways..here's to something we can all agree on..Vamos United!!

Posted by: DCUcompa | March 26, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Told you guys Howard was injured. He's doubtful for Everton's match against Wolves.

As for our line-up:

------------Perkins-----------
Talley--Jakovic--James--Wallace
Boyzzz--Quaranta--Simms--Castillo
--------Moreno----Pontius-------

Najar, Allsopp, Barklage/Morsink as the subs

Posted by: spikeman | March 26, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Not speaking for troy, but knowing the guy I would hardly call his input lecturing. Lighten up DCUcompa.

On another note, is anyone planning on checking out the reserve/friendly on Monday? My daughter is getting her pre school spring break and I'm thinking this might be a great opportunity to take her to see "her team". Holler at me!

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

1 day until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 26, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Charlie Davies press conference. By the way, did you guys see the CD9 logo Nike came up with for him? I really like it. Can't wait for that jersey to come in next week...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 26, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Perkins
Agoos Llamosa Pope
Williams
Gros Olsen
Etcheverry
Moreno
Diaz-Arce Eskandarian

DC 6 - KC 0

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 26, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I have an update on the blackout. I just received an e-mail from DCU and the league is working on resolving the blackout right now (can't believe my phone call led to this). They have promised that it won't be blacked out tomorrow.

Now for the bad news. I'm on the phone with FIOS as I type this and if you're a FIOS subscriber then things aren't looking too good unless you subscribe to DK right now. They had no idea there was a freeview this weekend and their system is not set up for it.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

We can just check the MLS game tonight on FIOS to see if it is "freeview" to see if the sales rep was correct. The game is at 10:30 PM tonight. If the "freeview" is not active tonight then we can order DirectKick tomorrow morning. No problems for tomorrow night unless they black out the Baltimore United game.

Posted by: stephen_james2 | March 26, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I didn't talk to a sales rep. I was in conference with the video department and tech support. The video department is responsible for this and they were clueless to include the supervisor.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the update. It is surprising at time what can happen if you simply let your fingers do the walking, eh?

It's looking more and more like tomorrow will consist of calling around to the bars having viewing parties and inquiring about exactly who they're getting their cable from. What a load. FIOS for all it's praise, is really screwing the pooch on this one. Unless of course they get it handled. Sure hope these bars that are having these viewing parties don't have FIOS. No FIOS in DC right? It might be Black Finn after all....

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

guys, if you have dish i wonder if its the whole weekend free preview or just tonigh, check this out.

Posted by: wiz-skins07 | March 26, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

It would take a miracle for them to get it right because they aren't working on the problem. In fact, they were so confident about the freeview not being available this weekend that they expedited my DK order so that it would be available to me tomorrow. The whole thing today has been a complete mess.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Croftonpost: to FIOS subscribers, you are our knighr in shining armor, our standard bearer, our Mr. Smith goes to Washington, our dude who must have been navigating the Verizon voice labyrinth all day. Thank you.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 26, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Your welcome. Some serious anger and the desire to watch DCU tomorrow night were strong motivations. Vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

... and then I read your last comment, which (I think) makes you our Don Quixote :-(.

I also googled this

It does not list FIOS as participating in the free weekend, but Direct TV and DishNetwork subscribers are in luck.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 26, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Fox Soccer Report is based in Winnipeg? Who knew?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 26, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused. So will we be able to watch the game tomorrow night on FIOS. Or will I have to watch it on the internet?

Posted by: spikeman | March 26, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

No freeview on Comcast, but the new MLS Player seems great so far. Got the HD rocking and everything.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 26, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

In other news. Ledo Pizza is the new Official Pizza of DC United! They'll be serving it at the stadium. No more Papa John's

Posted by: fedssocr | March 26, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Comcast does it again. This has happened before where there is supposed to be a free view and they some how screw it up. Hopefully the DK will work tomorrow.

Posted by: DCM_ | March 26, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, the Colorado-Goats game is on the Freeview on Dish right now.

Posted by: VamosUnited1 | March 26, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so the internet player likes to get caught thinking every couple minutes. Just have to refresh, but still.

I'm digging the new Chivas jerseys from afar, but close ups show the piping and make them less attractive.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 26, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Update to my previous post (3 minutes ago) Connor Casey still sucks!

Posted by: VamosUnited1 | March 26, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see this Steinberg blog about how RFK Stadium was almost called LBJ Stadium? Estadio LBJ... it doesn't have the same ring to it.

Posted by: spikeman | March 26, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

It is also on freeview on Comcast Arlington (760).

Posted by: DCUfan14 | March 26, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

FIOS and Comcast get DK from the Indemand Network. According to the MLS web site they were supposed to be part of the freeview. Alas, as I stated earlier in the evening I was afraid it would be more than FIOS.
270-I gave it my all. Sometimes gross incompetence is impossible to overcome. Viva La Mancha!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 26, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Just returned from Continental Modern Pool Lounge in Rosslyn and can confirm that everything is a go for tomorrow night's Kick-Off Shindig and viewing party!

Dropped off some of the prizes and swag for the raffle and the Chivas - Colorado match looked wonderful on HD. Definitely jealous of the condition of that field.

The kind folks at Continental have picked up the MLS Direct Kick Package for the season and the crowd should be rocking tomorrow night!!

Come wearing your Black and Red gear.

Posted by: SEOutreach | March 26, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the update SEOutreach. Makes me wish I still live in Rosslyn... Love your handle by the way.
Was at the neighbors and he didn't have the Chivas game on his FIOS. It's looking more and more like a bike ride down to the Conti tomorrow night.

Any beer deals to speak of?

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

"IT TAKES MORE" indeed, eh?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr

They should offer a deal if DCU scores on a corner...because Ledo's doesn't cut corners.

And, well, DCU doesn't score on them.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

United has signed Barry Rice. Welcome aboard for the King of Headers. I had a good feeling about him since I first posted that I thought the team should bring him in for a trial, after the draft. I'm sure Pena will be the starter, but Rice may be the guy in years to come.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Reignking, didn't United score on at least 3 corners in the Carolina Challenge Cup?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Which is why Castillo is on my fantasy squads ;)

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Estadio LBJ... it doesn't have the same ring to it.
Posted by: spikeman
==============

Estadio El BJ? Thank goodness they shose Bobby.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Little help here...

Given United's current roster, forgetting about injuries, who is our first choice RM?

If the team insists on Pontius as a forward and Q in the middle at CM...are Barklage, Boyzzz, Najar, McT the best 4 choices...then who gets the nod???

Barklage looked ok before getting injured, Boyzzz has shown well at times, Najar is all potential (which I'm a big fan of) and McT can man the position if needed, but are any of them really a FIRST choice?

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | March 27, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse