D.C. United news & notes

Defender Bryan Namoff, who has suffered from the effects of a concussion and head/neck injury since late last season, joined D.C. United for training camp in Charleston, S.C., and did some ball work today, Coach Curt Onalfo said.

"It's good to have him with the guys," Onalfo said of Namoff, who, until now, has not been able to participate in formal workouts. "It's a positive step, but with all he has been through, it's going to be day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute."

Midfielder Clyde Simms has also joined the squad after recovering from minor knee surgery. He is working himself back into shape in time for the March 27 opener at Kansas City. Midfielder Danny Szetela, who had knee surgery early in preseason, is 100 percent, Onalfo said. Goalkeeper Josh Wicks continues to rehab from shoulder injury and is expected to join the club by mid-April.

Wicks's status begs raises the question:

What will United do about its goalkeeping situation? Troy Perkins is the clear-cut No. 1, but with Wicks out, the other candidates are Bill Hamid, a product of the youth academy in his first full year with the first team; and trialist Andrew Quinn, a rookie from Notre Dame.

As a homegrown player, Hamid does not count against the 24-man roster (essentially, he is the 25th man) and affords DCU the flexibility to retain four keepers for the time being. Quinn is a candidate for one of the four traditional developmental slots

[CLARIFICATION: The exemption for homegrown players will remain an issue until the collective bargaining agreement is finalized, an MLS spokesman said. Until otherwise told, DCU officials say they will consider Hamid as a "25th player", as he was late last year when he signed. At that time, he was not eligible for league play -- CONCACAF only. Stay tuned.....]

With 30 players in the player pool, the coaching staff and front office are planning to make roster decisions following the Carolina Challenge Cup in Charleston, which continues Wednesday with United playing Toronto FC at 7:15 p.m. and concludes Saturday night against the third-division Battery.

In other news, DCU is close to finalizing plans for a U.S. Open Cup preliminary match against FC Dallas on a weeknight in April. United will host the game, but the date and location remain under discussion. The winner will advance to the second round of USOC qualifying in May.

With the arrival of midfielder Drew Yates on trial, DCU now has three former DeMatha High School teammates in camp: Yates (Maryland), Quinn (Notre Dame) and defender Jordan Graye (North Carolina).

By Steve Goff  |  March 16, 2010; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Red Bull Arena
Next: D.C. United waives Szetela

Comments

None of this is bad news. (That includes Hamid maybe getting some time to prove himself, or maybe not even that, if there's a strike).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 16, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

DCU could even make more space in their payroll, if they get rid of Wicks.

Posted by: fedster | March 16, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't aware that homegrown players were given that extra protection on the roster. I thought they were just Generation Adidas players (and thus cap-exempt), but that they still counted towards your roster.

As for what we'll do, I think Quinn will stay with the team for training purposes, but that the roster spots will go elsewhere. Pena and Adams seem pretty likely to get senior spots, and the full 20 spots are all taken. Burch will go on IR, obviously, but that still means someone (probably Shipalane) will have to be let go or demoted to the developmental roster.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 16, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I hope Wicks is actively working to improve his emotional maturity and control. If not, United should trade him for the best deal the club can get.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | March 16, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see Namoff working his way back into the game. Hopefully he'll be healthy enough to start contributing by May/June. I'm also glad to see that Simms and Szetela back at it.

As for Wicks, I'm torn. He is likely the best of each of the three backup keepers on the bench right now. With that said, if you asked me whether I would rather DC United give Hamid a chance and end up losing based on his play, or put Wicks in and win the game, I don't know how to answer that.

Wicks did the unthinkable in the USOC final, which completely ruined the fact that he was the best player on the field up until that point!

Is winning with Wicks better than developing our Academy product who will likely compete for the starting role in 2-3 years? I don't know.

Posted by: TCompton | March 16, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I believe by "homegrown" Mr. Insider is using short-hand for "academy product and signing". By signing Hamid, he doesn't count on the roster or cap. It's not that he's local.

I don't think we save that much money by cutting Wicks. And we can't cut him when he's hurt.

Here's the deal--does DCU feel like either Hamid or Quinn is a good #2 (or even #1--if Perkins should make the WC team)? If so, than you figure Wicks is gone once he's healthy. But if Perkins goes to the NT camp (almost a certainty) you wouldn't mind having a veteran on the team, even if he isn't the starter. I'm not enamored by Wicks. But he clearly is a great shot stopper. I think once he gets healthy, his status is a function of what happens with Perkins.

Posted by: JoeW1 | March 16, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Some ball work with the guys? Is this about Namoff or Rep. Massa?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 16, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Argh, Senor Goff.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 16, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Some ball work with the guys? Is this about Namoff or Rep. Massa?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 16, 2010 4:41 PM

TICKLE ARGY BARGY!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 16, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

JoeW1:

I get what he meant. I just didn't know your academy signings came with both a roster exemption and a cap exemption.

As for the likelihood of losing Perkins to the World Cup squad, I'm not that worried about it. With Hahnemann playing regularly for Wolves, it seems close to a lock that Perkins will be here come June.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 16, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: combedge | March 16, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

11 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 16, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

If the logicians and the philosophers need to retain a narrow technical definition for "beg the question" for their own purposes, that's fine. But that doesn't mean the rest of us get left with squadoosh. Goff's usage is standard idiomatic English.

Posted by: dccal | March 16, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

> As a homegrown player, Hamid does not
> count against the 24-man roster
> (essentially, he is the 25th man)

Would the same apply to Andy Najar? A 26th man?

Posted by: -rke- | March 16, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The homegrown players exception is new to me too. Looking at the 2009 rules on mlsnet.com, I found this:

(M) HOME GROWN PLAYERS
Eligible players must have resided with their parents in a team's "Home Territory" for at least one year prior to placement on a team's Home Grown Player list, subject to the Non-Home Territory exception. Pursuant to all rules regarding qualification as a Home Grown Player, these players may be added to a team's roster Senior or Developmental roster. At this time teams may add up to two players per year from their Home Grown Player list subject to MLS Competition Committee rules.

No reference there to the player being exempt from the 24-man roster restriction. Maybe the new MLSsoccer.com will help clear things up?

Posted by: DCUMD | March 16, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

combedge: I was waiting for someone to do that, except "pedant" was the word I was expecting. But I don't care. It's a pet peeve of mine, and it may be an impossible battle to win, but I'll go down fighting it because it matters. HTH. HAND.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 16, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Question: Last year, as an academy signing, Hamid didn't count against the 24 man roster BUT also couldn't play in league matches (iirc), will it be the same situation this season if he doesn't count agains the 24 man?

Posted by: laur84 | March 16, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Goff's usage is standard idiomatic English."

All right. You've pushed one of my buttons. Steve's use of "begs the question" is only standard due to frequent misuse. Phrases like "if I was you" and "for all intensive purposes" are standard because people say them all the time. Irregardless, that doesn't make it right.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 16, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

dccal: why in the world would you say that "the rest of us get left with squadoosh"? There are *many* expressions that mean the same thing as "raises the question" -- there's no hole in our vocabulary there that needs filling, so why create one by taking away pretty much the only succinct expression that means what "begs the question" does? I'm actually a scientist, and we use it the expression all the time; but whenever I'm speaking to non-scientists, I have to come up with some other longer-winded way of expressing the thought, because people can't be expected anymore to understand the expression like once they could.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 16, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

DCUMD: Yeah, my understanding of the Home-Grown Player List was not that it gives you a way to sign players off-roster (essentially expanding the size of your roster), but that it gives you a way to protect unsigned players from other teams. You can put any players on your Home-Grown Player List that meet the criteria; and while there, you can sign them without their having to go through the Draft. But you're limited to signing only two per year. I've never seen the '25th man' thing before . . .anyone have any reference to this?

I also don't know what "two per year" means pratically. Calendar year? Two in any twelve-month period? Dunno. If we signed Najar, when would the "year" reset? Would we still have another player we could sign in 2010? Or would we be done until 12 months from signing Hamid?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 16, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

HTH. HAND.

waitaminnit...now I know where that name "metzler" rings a bell...

RSFC*er! :)

(* rec.sport.football.college)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 16, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

uhoh.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 16, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Wait until the World Cup. we'll see talented players from around the world...

'meg the Kljestan.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 16, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"begs the question" has been changed to "raises the question"

A clarification on the "25th player" rule has been inserted into the original text

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 16, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

oh deer lored!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 16, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

All this short HAND stuff led me to a fun site: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Internet_slang

My new favorite: FOAD.
I also like lurker - interesting that people have come up with a term for this.

These things can be fun, but they do squadoosh for the quality of the conversation.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 16, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

The "25th player" rule as I understood it last year, was that the team could sign the player, but the player would not be eligible for MLS games, for which the 24-man roster applied. That is, he was eligible for CONCACAF and USOC games only.

I had a few questions I posed about this way back: Whether that was going to carry over into this season, or whether it was a brief innovation put in there 7-8 months ago to allow DCU to sign Hamid and not lose him to Europe?

I suppose all clarifications will have to wait for a CBA to be signed. My guess, though, is the 25th man rule really is something that applies to non-MLS competitions. Perhaps, DCU could extend it indefinitely, but to use Hamid in MLS games, they would have to add him to the MLS 24-man roster.

It would be intriguing, though, if MLS allowed extra slots even on the MLS roster for homegrown players. It would be a huge incentive to bring them in to the team, and a big reason to put more resources into the Academy. I doubt, though, that MLS intends to go this route. If you want to use players in MLS games, they would have to be on the 24-man roster, and not occupy the "25th" slot. Still, it would let the team give Hamid (or Navas (Hou) Chiradze (NY), etc.) another year to develop, without impacting the competitiveness of the team (assuming there are more MLS-ready options for the roster).

Posted by: fischy | March 16, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

The Special One strikes again...

Posted by: glfrazier | March 16, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if I missed it before but Eskandarian is done with soccer?

Will LA even have 11 players by the start of the season?

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 16, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Esky has declared that he is done with soccer for the foreseeable future. (If I remember correctly)

Goff had a thread about him a few days ago.

I hope Massa doesn't post here or some might bugger the question.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 16, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Will LA even have 11 players by the start of the season?

Ten men and a goalie.

(Oh, wait, that'll be the Vancouver Whitecaps, since that's where Soehn is...)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 16, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorldCup
============

That over-eggs the question.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 16, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Ives just tweeted that we waived Szetela.

Posted by: jpeace121 | March 16, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Waived Szetela?

That begs the question; wear will he go! Irregardless of whoever the team that picks him up, hes got to land someplace.

LOL! ROFL! ESPN! TNT! CSPAN! USA! FX!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 16, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpeace121 | March 16, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Tip of the hat to you Mr. Goff for realizing that begging the question is not the same as raising the question.

Posted by: mabindurham | March 16, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Ah, I've read the entire thread now. Still, good job for making the change. Probably ultimately a lost cause due to such widespread incorrect use, but never hurts to try and hang on to a little precision.

Posted by: mabindurham | March 16, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering what was up with Danny Szetela's cryptic facebook posts today. I almost commented something about Onalfo had said he was %100 via this post, then I thought I'd check SBI before heading to bed...

Let's just say that New Jersey has got the scoop and for those of you worried about midfield depth grab a hold of your depends...
Undergarments that is.
Sheesh!
Vamos United.
Hope you all are just waiving players cuz you know a strike is happening.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 16, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope we're planning on bolstering our midfield before opening day. I wasn't at all sold on Szetela, not at all -- but our midfield barely has enough credible players to man a bobsled at this point, and one is injured.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 16, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say I told ya so, but I did. Whatever he had a US youth player, Szetela didn't have it when he came to DC last year. I hope he finds it again, but I guess it won't be with DC. As I wrote above, we still need help in the midfield. I'm not sold on Q in the middle, and I'm not thrilled with Barklage, Tiyi and Khumalo as our starting options on the wing. Not much experience there, and it remains to be seen how much potential there is there. Putting aside my burst of optimism in seeing that Simms and Namoff joined the team, United is in deep doo-doo. Incredibly thin and unimpressive roster. Still hoping Ashton is returning with a Brazilian footballing genius for the midfield attack.

Posted by: fischy | March 16, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 16, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I actually like the colloquial usage of "begging the question" here, as it gives a sense of passivity that "raising the question" lacks. People raise questions; facts beg questions.

Plus "begging the question" doesn't really work anymore (if it ever did) as a translation of petitio principii. Why not just say "assuming the conclusion"? Sure, it's slightly clunkier, but no one should be confused by it.

Posted by: BooThisMan | March 16, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

My theory? The team is anticipating a new CBA and the creation of an extra DP slot. Waiving Szetela probably clears enough room so that the team can now add 2 DPs. Either that, or the front office is out to prove a point about the cap level being way too high....

Seriously, I'm OK with the team admitting they've made a mistake with Szetela -- or even deciding that Danny, like N'Galula before him, just isn't worth what they were paying him. However, you've gotta have a Plan B. There's whole lotta cap room sitting there for DCU to fill, and there are no bonus points for coming in under the cap.

So, is there a Plan B? Will there be some high-profile signings to fill that cap room?

Posted by: fischy | March 16, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

This does improve Drew Yates' chances of making the team.....

Posted by: fischy | March 16, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

"Midfielder Danny Szetela, who had knee surgery early in preseason, is 100 percent, Onalfo said. "-Goff

100 percent gone. Why not try to trade him first???

Posted by: redskinsux | March 17, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

@redskinsux -- They weren't likely to get much for him...not after last year. I'll wait to hear from Goff, but given the suddenness of the development, I wouldn't be surprised to learn there was some event that precipitated this move. Not making predictions, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Posted by: fischy | March 17, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I do not understand this move 1 bit!

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 17, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

He was on our protected list in the off-season. You know Novak has interest in him. You're probably right, not going to get much, but something nonetheless. Now we get nothing.

Posted by: redskinsux | March 17, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

By the way - I was meaning to post this info, when I came here and saw the Szetela news. I'm wondering about Hamid's status -- there does seem to be a case of collective amnesia here about his status when signed with the team. When DCU announced the signing, they made clear it was under a special new rule that added extra roster slots, but not for MLS games. What I'm confused about is why we're talking about that status continuing... That contradicts what the team announced at the time, on Sept 2, when they officially unveiled the signing:

"In July 2009, the MLS Board of Governors approved an amendment to the rules governing the signing of youth academy players. MLS clubs will receive two additional roster slots that may be used to sign academy players, in accordance with current Home Grown Player rules, to Generation adidas or Developmental contracts during the 2009 season. These players will not count toward the 24-player roster limit in 2009. Additionally these players may not play in League games during the 2009 season, but can participate in training, exhibition games and CONCACAF Champions League games. These additional player signings will count toward a team’s roster upon the commencement of the 2010 season."

Is the league reconsidering that rule, such that those 2009 signings will not necessarily count toward 2010 rosters?

Posted by: fischy | March 17, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Handwavy assessment of our cap status:

Bottom line: as fischy suggested, we're way under the cap, with an estimated $675k in cap space.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 17, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

11 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 16, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope so but right now I'm not convinced. I'm even holding off of ordering DirectKick.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 17, 2010 4:16 AM | Report abuse