D.C. United rewind

Comcast SportsNet didn't carry it. Neither did ESPN, Fox Soccer Channel or Telefutura. So unless you were able to navigate MLS's sputtering new Web site, solve your unfriendly cable system for Direct Kick access or gathered at a local watering hole, you missed D.C. United's debut.

Be glad you did.

The unsightly 4-0 loss to Kansas City offered glimpses of hope before unraveling. No one played well. DCU supporters waited five months for this? Okay, so it was only one match, a loss is a loss no matter what the margin, one down and 29 to go, blah blah blah. But it's never a good sign when the coach begins his postgame review by saying: "For whatever reason, we stepped on the field thinking we were just going to win the game and didn't realize that we actually had to earn it on the field."

This result rekindled memories of the 2000 season opener, a 4-0 howler against Los Angeles at RFK Stadium.

What was MLS's biggest embarrassment this weekend: DCU's dud, San Jose dropping a 3-0 result at home, or Dallas announcing an opening-day crowd of 8,016? (Seriously, would someone be willing to airlift handsome Pizza Hut Park to Lot 8 outside RFK? I promise you, it will be more appreciated.)

Read my full match report here.

FYI: I will not be doing DCU player ratings this year. However, in the near future, The Post is hoping to unveil an interactive mechanism that will allow Insider loyalists to submit their own ratings, which will be compiled and averaged. For now, if you were one of the unlucky few to watch the match, I welcome your manual ratings and general thoughts.

By Steve Goff  |  March 28, 2010; 12:50 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: United-Wizards
Next: Video: Cherundolo's goal

Comments

Goffster! NO RATINGS???? Ahhhh....looking forward to the near future!

Posted by: redskinsux | March 28, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

MLS website: Booo!
Free DirectKick trial on Comcast (worked in Boston): Huzzah!
DC United: the less said, the better

Posted by: ricky_b | March 28, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

"Its my first day"-Onalfo

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 28, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

DC United Fans.... Welcome 2 very "exicting soccer" Onalfo style... Long season ahead for you.. signed Former Onalfo fan & current kcwizards fan.

Posted by: was3 | March 28, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying the Onalfo apologists around this place are wrong, but I am saying this game really didn't help with their credibility.

Posted by: fret44 | March 28, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

The Dallas (excuse me, Frisco) attendance was made worse by the fact that 1/4 of it was made up of Dynamo fans. Nice day, good stadium, fresh start to the season, stadium in the boonies= poor attendance.

Posted by: dvmdoug | March 28, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Solely based on this performance, DC United is the worst team in the league. I am hoping it was just the narrow field, poor conditions, bad performance.

Also, why would you start a 17 yr old on a tight field in the rain?

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 28, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

It was what I expected.

One shot on goal in the first half. One.

Morstink at dmid. Morstink.

I'm going to go drink bleach now.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 28, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

As no-one earned above a 3 there is no point in rating anyone.

I would say the same about Philly..when do we play them? we may need a boost. NE played pretty well in LA, boy LA look good (first game mistakes forgiven)and oh so fast...we are going to be hard pressed to be competitive this season (based on one piss-poor performance)

Posted by: londonboy | March 28, 2010 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Sure Philly didn't play great. But if you think that we're going up there to impose our will after this piss performance then I want what your on.

Posted by: sire1 | March 28, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Three words: Ugg-guh-leeee.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 28, 2010 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Onalfo just emptied the trust piggy bank. And has made me swallow previous posts.

I didn't get the feed, so judgment overall will have to wait till next time. Really sad I was wrong about the defense.

However, I can say that Talley may wind up being the most useless pickup in MLS history.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 28, 2010 2:17 AM | Report abuse

The worst part for me wasn't DCU but the commentators. I stopped watching the game in the 53rd minute, but turned off the sound at the 20th. Sounded like a couple of college nerds broadcasting from their dorm room while eating mayonnaise sandwiches. When DCU hit the crossbar and then headed in the rebound while offsides I didn't hear any names; they were just referred to as "the DC United guys."

Posted by: DaninFL | March 28, 2010 2:24 AM | Report abuse

My ratings: 0 for everyone. -54 for Onalfo.

Posted by: asnoel | March 28, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

No midfield. Very Very VERY poor defensive marking away from the ball.

Why a 3-5-2 when you are EXTREMLY weak at the defender position?

Very disappointed in the start

Posted by: niknakdcu | March 28, 2010 2:31 AM | Report abuse

I remember in the year 2000 season where we got killed 4-0 in our opening game...went on to be one of the most agonizing seasons ever for DC United fans

Posted by: DCU_VW | March 28, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Funny, I made the same comparison to my wife late in the second half and as you can see above Steve was thinking it as well. Very ominous sign. "It takes more". DCU got that right. It certainly does.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 28, 2010 4:31 AM | Report abuse

Not a surprising result when the offseason is spent getting placeholders instead of players.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 28, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Get used to this, folks, for as long as KP butt-boy Kasper is making technical decisions. Since he took over as GM, it has been one bad decision after another. This guy is poison; he is incompetent, landing one bust after another and running off good players, and dishonest with his staff and organization. If there is any chance for success, KP must resolve the RFK/new stadium issue and free himself up to take control of the technical side of the team.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 28, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

phew...talk about a morning after. I was gonna walk up to Molly Malone's last night but guess I'm glad I didn't, it would have been un-fun. I watch these games and buy season tics for enjoyment and entertainment. This does not entertain me.

But I'm going to keep on showing up and hope that this was just an awful aberration.

Oh, on the MLS site, I think the bugs will work out of the system. The MLS online feed it pretty amazing once it actually fires up.

Posted by: DCB23 | March 28, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Greetings from Brussels, where jet lag and dedication enabled me to watch the first half and to flip back in the second in time to see that 2-0 had become 3-0. It was horrible, every bit as much as Goff says. Seriously, 4-0? That's how badly you get beat when you're playing a team from the top league and you're not in, um, the top league.

Posted by: dccal | March 28, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Blech. All my preseason optimism was washed away in the Kansas City rain last night. I turned the game off after KC scored their 3rd goal. My high school coach would have had United running suicides today for some of those mental errors. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Posted by: Kenobi | March 28, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

So now I have to decide whether to go to DCU's home openner (to which I already have tickets) or go to my own game (why would any league schedule Saturday games at 8pm?). Argh--I may turn out to be a fair-weather fan (and I'm not talking about rain).

Posted by: glfrazier | March 28, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"Manual ratings" is a good choice of terms because you won't need more than one hand and even then, you won't use all the fingers.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 28, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Hire Soehn!

Posted by: bs2004 | March 28, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Well, maybe the Freedom will be good. 0-0 tie with Philly in an exhibition, played without Wambach, Whitehill and Bompastor.

I wouldn't start slamming Dallas too hard until we see what the attendance is for DCU's home opener. A helluva lot closer to Dallas than to Seattle or New York, is my guess.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 28, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

“I hadn’t thought he had a right foot,” Red Bulls Coach Hans Backe said.

Lindpere agreed.

“I don’t have,” he said. “It’s for walking.”

Posted by: OWNTF | March 28, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone received their letter from Will Chang yet, like the one last year that said another piss poor season would not be tolerated and management would be held more accountable?

Will Chang and ONLY Will Chang has the chance to turn this around. The housecleaning in has to begin in the upper management. It's not the players' fault that the entire leadership believes we can play with no true #10.

These problems are very deeply rooted. We need to bring in a team GM and who is proven to find consistently good talent and field a winning team.

Posted by: dsheon1 | March 28, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Man I saw the game and it was a complete mess.
You had CBs running the flanks, had natural forwards playing D and had the worst organization Ive seen play at one point I swear I was watching little league you know when the ball moves so does the entire team. Way to many yellows.
I give a +1 for appearing, +1 for kicking the ball, and a +1 for trying.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 28, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

S

... k

..... y

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 28, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | March 28, 2010 8:55 AM

Good point. Home opener after a 4-nil loss, in cruddy RFK, up against the Final Four, Nats v Red Sox with possibility of Strasburg (35,000 tix sold already), Caps on TV, etc...

Posted by: Kev29 | March 28, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Texas, as it's own country, has a lot of challenges to attracting soccer fans to any events.

First, you have football.
Second, you have marching band.
Third, you have football.
Forth, you have steak.
Fifth, you have baseball.
Six, you have football.
Seven, you have church.
and then finally, after all that...
you have football again.
Then soccer.

It's a tough sell.

Posted by: TCompton | March 28, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

We watched on Direct Kick. As the travesty ended, I asked my wife if she wanted to go to the home opener. The 'No!' was out of her mouth before I was even able to finish my sentence. That doesn't lend a lot of hope to attendance this season.

So, Hells Kitchen, I'll be in Lot 8 doing our thing...and probably drinking so I can endure the game.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 28, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF - Lindpere is something DCU could use. He really made NYRB's game flow better and the goal was beautiful. He's going to be a force and based on last night alone, NY looks like they could be a playoff team this year.

For those who mentioned the empty seats at Red Bull Arena - there actually weren't that many once everyone finally got in. In the 2nd half the place was close to full and rocking. It was a fun atmosphere. Just sayin'.

Watching DCU on my DVR right now ad trying to find a silver lining. There goes Arnaud's goal - no silver linings on that defense. Ay Caramba.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 28, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow. What a dreadful game. It was awful just trying to get the MLS website to stream the game reasonably, but once I figured that out, I wished I hadn't. The 12,000 fans at our home opener in a week will be severely disappointed. The additional 4,000 that don't show up will be smirking and saying "I told you so".

Posted by: mbyrd28 | March 28, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

agreed, dimes. attendance at RBA was announced at 24+.

Lindpere was a great signing and so was the new coach. Interesting thing about that game was that JPA was a non-factor, presumably because he's been out for a while. When he comes into form, they're going to be even tougher. The coach hasn't got that many new faces to work with, and yet they play like a totally different team.

Which may not be saying much, but I think it illustrates by comparison how DC United has blinders on when it comes to picking players and coaches.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 28, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

dccal, at least you have Chimay Blue on tap everywhere you go. Two of those will make you forget anything.

Dallas...you suck. I cannot imagine what the excuses are. I'm sure the fans will blame management somehow. I'll check BS and see.

Ratings...honestly, I couldn't tell many of the players apart from the wet camera lens, side view single camera like I was watching The Office, and lineup that I couldn't decipher. You would think that Onalfo would know how to best use that skinny field, and he clearly didn't. Castillo was non-existent.

I know that Morsink was awful, giving away tons of balls including the first goal. Most players were MIA. Q's FKs were a positive.

It's sad when two guys that you just signed are starting.

I remember that 4-0 opener, because I couldn't believe how much LA support there was -- the Cienfeugos factor (with Spanish accent).

Posted by: Reignking | March 28, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

And Dallas had the Dallas Youth Cup (HUGE int'l tournament) going on, and couldn't get more???

Posted by: Reignking | March 28, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I blame the new ball...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 28, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The 4-0 opener in 2000 was classic Rongen. The Great Rongeni is a terrible coach, winning 1999 largely with Bruce's leftover group and the players' own direct determination (after getting smoked in the 2nd game of the East final at Columbus, they prepared for the rubber game at RFK on their own with Bruce leading training, outside of regular training).

The team was totally unprepared; they staged their ring ceremony in the face of the team they defeated in the previous Cup final, and in the locker room after the game Rongen yelled at the players for being distracted by the usual start-of-the-season preparations. He is an idiot.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 28, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Poor United , when you field players like skill-less Quaranta and over the hill Talley , this is what you get,,,,,,,,,,,most likely it is a money problem , you get what you pay for , coaching too.............LONG SEASON....

Posted by: spy007 | March 28, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Perkins is not the answer, especially without a credible defense.

Posted by: alan19 | March 28, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

jeez, what does garber say now about Dallas? Does he take on the Hunts, who helped form the league? Does he say, "host more concerts cause we aint paying for all those financial losses"? I guess they'll can their marketing staff head again. Its either gotta sell their stadium and play somewhere central, move to another city outside of Texas, or simply fold. Its such a big market, especially in hispanic terms, but its simply not connecting with any soccer base- hispanic or youth crowd

Posted by: alespar415 | March 28, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The problem of attendance is not Texas, Houston does well. Getting a good crowd for a MLS game in the interior of the country is actually much much harder. RSL is really like Seattle, proportionally speaking, when you factor their size, I think KC will actually do a tolerable 13 or 14k per game when they get their stadium. And that really should be considered a success. I dont see that any better numbers could be had in St. L. I just dont see people clamoring for it. Sorry red states, but no more MLS teams in the interior. Lets make a profit from Portland, Vancouver, and Montreal coming into the league then we can think of other places.

Posted by: alespar415 | March 28, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I watched a pirated stream on atdhe, so it wasn't all that bad....

Posted by: fischy | March 28, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Direct Kick was very interesting - did they use a cell phone for the video AND tha audio? And the announcers said at one point the game was being broadcast in HD!

Also, did the rules change? Are keepers no longer allowed to actually catch the ball?

Posted by: srose13 | March 28, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spy007 | March 28, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I completely agree about the money. "It takes more". Specifically a SSS so they'll have more money. I apologize but I'm having so much fun with DCU's 2010 season theme. It opens up so many doors. :)

Posted by: croftonpost | March 28, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Wow, EJ and Adu starting today.

Posted by: Reignking | March 28, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Fire the coach

Posted by: rockotodd | March 28, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

So much for telling Pontius he may now focus only on the forward position. An hour into the season, and there goes that plan goes out the window.

This is the Emperor's New Team... can't you all see?

"The coach was great choice. The roster changes were all smart. Everything is going according to plan. We don't need a DP, or use all of the salary cap. We'll have a stadium someday. The team will not be moving."

Posted by: beergorila | March 28, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Poor United. Poor fans. What can you expect when you unload all your once top foreign talent, save big cap money and don't replace the center midfielder or the right mid.Quaranta never proved himself at right mid here or anywhere is played, or at forward, he missed many sitters and was an erratic passer. He is certainly no center mid and there was no reason why Payne or Onalfo should have thought he was--except saving money.You cannot win without a midfield and we don't have one. Add to that the lack of scoring ability and you have a disaster season looming. And anyone who knows MLS and soccer should have seen it coming.Now our best --slim hope --is to obtain a good striker and a center mid and hope that Perkins--a fine keeper-and the D can hold together.If we don't make major moves now, Payne should be fired. And Chang should sell the team.I don't mind a trip to beautiful downtown Baltimore, IF it is to see a competitive team.

Posted by: lemovs1 | March 28, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I will miss the Goff ratings.

Posted by: tailwagger | March 28, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

.... human sacrifice..... just saying.

Posted by: tcbannon | March 28, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Come on Goff, you have Santino rated as a 3.25 and Jaime as a 4.137?? I had Santino as a 2.9 at best and I thought Jaime should have been closer to a 4.0.

I don't know why you keep doing this ratings?

....ahhh the good ole days.

Posted by: rockotodd | March 28, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Make no mistake: Baltimore is an option for this team's new stadium. If KP isn't just interested in Baltimore the way Robert Kraft was interested in moving the Patriots to Hartford, that is, for leverage against DC or NOVA, then it can happen. MSA is very serious about building a mid-sized event-specific stadium (there is no such thing as a soccer-specific stadium - that's been a Garber fiction) with an MLS team as the prime tenant. It has the land, it has the plan, and it has the know-how, and it has the city and state government support.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Get a center mid who is not Tino and an enforcer behind him. Ref didn't like us either. We had 5 cards and 7 fouls or so and they had 11 fouls and only got 1 card on #12. Why was our goal called back?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 28, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Conditions made the play sloppy to be sure, but that should have affected both teams, not just DC. We lacked a great many things, but what seemed to hurt us the most was a total lack of creativity. No one was making quality runs and no one was passing into space. Every time we would get the ball, KC would swarm us and we would quickly lose possession. We had no answer other than to foul.

Speaking of fouls, half of our yellows came from off the ball shenanigans. Our guys were frustrated and undisciplined, a quality that usually reflects on the coach.

The bottom line is this though -- we just don't have the talent anymore. I looked at our bench last night for some glimmer of hope, but the fact is that there is none. This will be a long season, and I hate to predict it, but one that far surpasses 2000.

I thought we were rebuilding. It turns out we were imploding. R.I.P. DC 2010.

Posted by: horatiovb | March 28, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I love it. Day 2 of DC United's regular season, and we've lumped it on Onalfo, Payne, Chang, Quaranta, Talley, Morsink, Perkins, Castillo, Moreno, our lack of a SSS, the 'D', 'midfield', the 'forwards', our 'CBs', Rongen, 'the front office' and RFK. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 DC United! Tickets still available at a surprisingly high price!

Posted by: daandre3 | March 28, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Perkins 7.5, the only player I care to rate.

OMG OMG OMG OMG We"RE GOING DOWN IN FLAMES. THERE WILL BE NO MLS SEASON LETS ALL BE SENSATIONALIST A-HOLES!~!~!~

Posted by: jdickinson187 | March 28, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Castillo factor in full effect April 3rd....

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 28, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Castillo factor in full effect April 3rd....

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 28, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

No Thanks. I know the team will do better. It was a terrible effort, but every team has howlers, every year. It just happens. Crappy playing conditions, ridiculously tight jerseys, cramped field, new ball, the list goes on. I still think Onalfo's player selection and the positions he put them in were a terrible idea, but I get a feeling he realizes that now.

I was thinking about going to the match tomorrow morning at the training grounds vs CP Baltimore if the weather is reasonable. If I was to take metro, is the quickest and stroller friendly way to get there just straight up 21st st?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 28, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

From hat I wa actually able to pick up in the way of a game feed DCU was never insync. KC is a tough place to play w/the pitch so tight/narrow - we have not played together long enough as a unit to play 1 & 2 touch futbol. Defensively the entire team was horrible - but its only the 1st game.
My bigger concern was Troy not being able to hold anything & giving up terrible rebounds. He was in a tough spot having to make saves on shots from close range but still WOW!! Way to many chances for KC to take advantage of. I hope Onalfo gets in somebody's face this week and demnads a more professional approach because that was just plain crap all over the field...

Posted by: Zipfutbol | March 28, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

If Soehn were still the coach, Troy would have been put on the next flight back to Prussia, or wherever he came from. That's how fast that nugget of a coach would lose confidence in him.

By the way, where's Simpson's accountability for this debacle? He's bullet-proof because he's KP's golfing buddy.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 28, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Loved your player ratings Goff. please expand why you won't do it this year. I am just being nosy.

Posted by: cr10 | March 28, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: why do you get the feeling that Onalfo realizes his lineup was bad? He never realized it in Kansas City, despite sending out many bad lineups there.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 28, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Curt's a great guy, but he is not that great of a coach. Not yet. He is one of Bruce's guys, which, in KP's mind, means he walks on water. When he was with the MNT, he was primarily a scout, which he is very good at. He has the tools to become a great coach in MLS which, given the Salary cap, makes attractive won-loss records are very much within reach.

Don't forget: he was at the very least a "settle" hire. DCU shockingly preferred as its first choice a college coach from a mid-major program that has had but one moment of glory.

By stupidly pursuing this college coach, Kasper gave perfunctory consideration and ultimately turned down a smart, young, and successful MLS assistant who one day will be a great coach in this league: Robin Fraser.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 28, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Knowing that the match would be played on the narrowest field in the league, why would Onalfo try to stretch the pitch by playing a flat 4 midfield?

I wouldn't have had a problem with starting Najar, it's not as if he was going to be up against any real talent from KC. He just couldn't see enough of the ball on that postage stamp of a field.

Morsink gave a Dyachenko-esque performance and has quickly established a rep as being the biggest waste of oxygen on the field.

I'd have run a box-midfield.

Talley--James--Jakovic--Wallace
------Simms---------Morsink----
-----Quaranta------Castillo----
-------Moreno----Pontius-------

Posted by: alecw81 | March 28, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan
==========

"Take the Metro Orange/Blue Line to the Stadium/Armory stop. Walk north on 19th Street past East Capitol Street (Stadium will be off to the right). Turn right on D street NE, cross Oklahoma Ave — RFK Auxiliary fields will be straight ahead."

Posted by: emanon13 | March 28, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

thanks emanon13, but I don't know where the heck this new weather forecast came from. Swear that as of Friday it was supposed to rain today and be pleasant tomorrow. Now we're looking at a super soaker. As much as the LilRyan likes stomping in puddles we're not going to get sick trying to watch a game they may not even play with thunderstorms around tomorrow.

@christopher, I really didn't pay enough attention to his lineups in KC and to be honest what part of last night were you expecting after what he was leaning toward in preseason? For me that would be absolutely nothing. Using Simms in the back was stupid. Again, I'll stand by my starting lineup of:

-----------Perkins
--Talley--Jako--James--Wallace

Boyzzz--Simms--Quaranta--Castillo

-------Moreno
--------------Pontius

Bringing on Mick Dundee for whichever forward was sucking the most and/or Najar for Boyzzz if and when he wasn't effective.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 28, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell me why I should buy season tickets again? Ticket prices went up and the talent went way down. Where is our new stadium? Where is at least some glimmer of hope?

Posted by: wrightcor | March 28, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

How about the fact that the post now goes to bed so early that there was no story in my paper this morning. I live inside the beltway, when do they close this thing, 6pm?

Posted by: seantipton | March 28, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

6 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 28, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll miss the player ratings by Goff. His informed opinion will be missed. Not sure why anyone would really care what I think; but I'll vote anyway. Whether or not I actually see the game.

On a related note, will the new system allow us to rate the coach?

Posted by: Curious99 | March 28, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I never realized so many united fans were band wagon fans?? its best that you stay home anyway, no point in coming out to games. Based on your posts we will lose every game of the season.

100% United fan win/lose/or draw

Posted by: Norteno4life | March 28, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Josh Wicks better hurry up and get healthy...

Posted by: alan19 | March 28, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I watched this game on via my DirectKick package on Directv.

I shouldn't have bothered. It was painful to watch. Frankly, if Perkins had not had some terrific saves, the score would have been 6 or 7-0.

Its quite a testimony to how badly the team played when I would rate our keeper Perkins as Man of the Match for DC and we lost 4-0.

In one way its hard to evaluate this team because it played poorly in the back, in midfield and up top.

The backline was a mess and seemed to be completely out of synch. Both outside backs were being beaten to the wing and the centerbacks had problems clearing the ball.

Aside from Jakovic and Perkins, I'd waive the lot right now, much in the way Arena waved several players in 96 just after the season started. Like then these players are simply not good enough to compete at an MLS level.

If the backline was bad, the midfield was worse. Morsink still thought he was playing for KC since he continually gave the ball away in the defensive third causing all kinds of panic.

Quaranta was a joke in the middle of the field he neither controlled nor orchestrated any organized movement of the ball.

The wing play was practically non existant. It may be the small field keep both wingers from enjoying any space, but I also didn't see any creative movement into space or any ability to take players on.

The forwards were starved of service. Save for one or two plays, I had to remind myself that Pontius and Moreno were actually playing in this game.

I have grave doubts before this game because on paper this team looks weaker than last years outfit by a fair margin. After this game I have no doubts, its going to be a very long season.

United needs to go in a different direction and that change needs to begin in the FO.

Posted by: dcufan531 | March 28, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Everyone ignoring you the first time you posted that silliness wasn't enough alan19?

Wicks is a goner dude. Move on.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 28, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I believe the people on here and other sites that post as D.C. United fans do genuinely care and this website like others give us all a place to complain and voice our displeasure with the state of the club. Most people here go to games and continue to pay our money in support of the club. However, crappy performances and the comments especially by Onalfo wont be tolerated. A better response from the coach would have been "we all stunk up the place and we are going to make adjustments immediately for next weeks game.

Posted by: wrightcor | March 28, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

This is what the stadium/ownership situation has created. Our starting lineup consists of only a handful of people who would even be on the bench for any of the other MLS team.

This is a roster done cynically on the cheap to convince the league execs that the only viable option is relocation to a city willing to build them a stadium.

I doubt United will even win 5 games this season without major acquisitions.

Posted by: grognard66 | March 29, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

won't join in too much of the groanfest, all of it appropriate. On the second KC goal, all three defenders clustered around Smith, kind of like my 10-year olds (rec, not travel) used to do, and Smith STILL got a pass away for the shot and goal.

Our goal was called back because of offside. The players all stood around watching the ball bounce, attackers didn't aggressively get back into onside position, so when the ball rebounded, shooter was offside. See above on 10 year olds.

Posted by: macheath | March 29, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Dear Curt Onalfo,

I want two hours of my life back.

Oh, and can you maybe do a better job on the 3rd?

Vamos United!

Posted by: SoccerVA | March 29, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"I made the journey to the game last night. It was cold, it was misting, and it was ugly. DC looked tired and outmatched even from the start."

... and kids swordfighting with boomsticks during the first goal.

Posted by: lprevolution | March 29, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse