D.C. United roster update

With 12 days until D.C. United is scheduled to open the 2010 league schedule at Kansas City (cross your fingers that a strike is averted), the club needs to make several decisions before finalizing a roster that will include 20 senior players and four developmentals.

Clyde Simms (minor knee surgery) and Bryan Namoff (post-concussion) have joined the club in Charleston, S.C., and former DeMatha High and University of Maryland midfielder Drew Yates, who was released by Chicago today, will begin a trial this week.

In addition to the players listed, youth academy midfielder Andy Najar has spent a large portion of preseason with the club, though it's unclear whether he is in the immediate plans for the first team.

So far, only one developmental slot has been filled: goalkeeper Bill Hamid. Midfielders John DiRaimondo and Brandon Barklage would be on senior contracts, assuming they make the final squad. I am expecting the club to sign defender Lyle Adams, a 2009 draft pick who played for second-division Austin last year.

The current player pool:

Goalkeepers (4): Troy Perkins, Josh Wicks*, Bill Hamid, Andrew Quinn#.
Defenders (12): Devon McTavish, Dejan Jakovic, Rodney Wallace, Julius James, Bryan Namoff*, Marc Burch*, Juan Manuel Pena#, Lawson Vaughn#, Lyle Adams#, Jordan Graye#, Daniel Woolard#, Barry Rice#.
Midfielders (10): Brandon Barklage, Kurt Morsink, Santino Quaranta, Christian Castillo, Danny Szetela, Clyde Simms, Boyzzz Khumalo, Tiyi Shipalane, John DiRaimondo, Drew Yates#.
Forwards (4): Jaime Moreno, Danny Allsopp, Chris Pontius, Adam Cristman.

*long-term injury; #trialist

I'm hoping to share additional roster details in the next day or two.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 15, 2010; 7:19 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beckham out until probably September
Next: Tuesday kickaround

Comments

12 days (hopefully) until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 15, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

It looks like the forwards are set.

Posted by: Curious99 | March 15, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Good time for a Lot 8 Access Road Update: Large swaths have been scraped clear, gravel is down and looks like there will be some new asphalt coming soon. Still looks like a lunar landscape in other places.

Plenty of snow left in the lot and it looks like a disaster zone still.

Posted by: DCB23 | March 15, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

well I'm officially underwhelmed...

Posted by: jase700 | March 15, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I see 3 starting midfielders there... What am I missing??

Posted by: beergorila | March 15, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Other new players will be revealed as the snowpiles melt in Lot 8.

I'm hoping for a Woolly Mammoth and the Iceman Dude from the Swiss Alps...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 15, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

This roster sucks. I guess that's all there is to say.

Posted by: pittmancb | March 15, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Beergorilla- Szetela, Barkledge, and, to a lessen extent, Morsink, are all legitimate starting midfielders

DiRaimondo needing to be on the senior roster is news to me.... Barkledge meanwhile has earned a senior spot IMHO

I'm also hoping they sign Pena, he is legit

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 15, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Also, for those of you who like the Fifa ratings of players, a couple of things to point out... a bit of an update

Morsink= 63 Simms=62 Szetela=64
Simms was our MVP last year.

Pena is a 69, Jakovic a 66 and James a 63
Namoff a 66 for comparison

Allsopp is a 69, Cristman a 67, and Moreno a 69

I know that Fifa is only a video game, so take the numbers with a grain of salt if you want to, but for those of us who play, we know that the game very often is not far off.

Just something for everyone to ponder.

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 15, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

thanks to absolutely worthless ownership and front office management, this roster falls into the category of who cares!

if majority ownership was leadership, the entire front office from payne to the GM would be gone for assembling this and previous worthless rosters

Posted by: bestmick1 | March 15, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I have absolutely no connection to this team. It's hard to get excited about a team filled with players I know nothing about. Disappointing, really. And the thing is, during the course of the season there will be four or five more guys coming and going, so it'll be even worse. If it wasn't for Moreno, Namoff and Perkins, I wouldn't know this team from a high school side from New Brunswick.

Guess we'll see what happens...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 15, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Curious, but if our forwards are "set," as you say, we are in deep trouble.

Posted by: b18bolo | March 15, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Szetela, Barkledge, and, to a lessen extent, Morsink, are all legitimate starting midfielders.

--------------------------------------------------------

Talk about over-egging the pudding!!

Posted by: fischy | March 15, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Judging by our roster we are planning for a strike this year?

Hopefully the money we save will allow us to grab some higher value players when MLS resumes in 2011?

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 15, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

To quote a great movie - "Always with the negative vibes Moriarty"

Look on the bright side, it will be easy to keep the beer cold in Lot 8 with all the ice piles on April 3rd.

Posted by: tcbannon | March 15, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Rand-al-thor,

You wouldn't happen to be a Sounders fan would you? There is a Sounders fan on BS with the same name.

To everyone else who's whining, how about we see them in action during the season before calling for heads?

Posted by: Unitedfury | March 15, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

We can easily cut many of the defenders, I wish one of them could be Burch. I think it looks pretty OK. I'm not expecting them to win the cup this year, but we should push for the playoffs.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 15, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Stop crying and whining like a bunch of 11 year old girls.

This is MLS, not the Premiership or La Liga. Heading into a season with a labor dispute and possible strike, would you really expect the club to make any MAJOR signings?

Pretty sure DP contracts are guaranteed, meaning if United had signed some flashy, expensive, over-the-hill playmaker, and a strike happens/happened, they'd still have to pay him. Eff that noise.

Games aren't won on paper. Or in this case, on the screen of your laptop.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 15, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

@alecw81
...if I'm using a desktop instead of a laptop, can I win games from that screen? I've won a few video games, but somehow, I don't think that's what you meant.

Ok, enough with the attempt at funny. You do have a point. Why sign a guaranteed contract for an exoebsuve player if you're about to eat the first several weeks of the season. They will probably add some, if not all, of the make-up games (if any) to the end of the season, after the WC and the August Transfer window.
That is the time to strike, by when we'll also know more about Namoff's head, how Allsopp's adjusted to MLS, who in the Midfield has stepped up (Mr. Szetela, this is your wake-up call), and who needs to go (Wicks).

Posted by: joemybro | March 15, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Go easy UD, Joe Doc sadly picked the name of a Big Soccer Sounder Doosh bag for his new handle. Luckily I think Ol' Doc isn't holed up in his mommies basement, playing magic and rubbing em' out to picks of Drew Carey in a bathing suit...

I think there is plenty of serviceable talent in this lineup, and with any luck we got a group of guys ready to duke it out with a bunch of clubs tied up in extra curricular play.

I'm actually with alec81 on this one as well. We'll have plenty of cap room and reason to sign more players in the transfer window, IF the season happens. Guys will have plenty of time to make their case to stay in this team. I'd rather have this than be banking on some Old Swiss dude to survive the world cup without injury and saving the day from the Doldrums that are Nate Jaqua and Steve Zakuani...

I liked what I saw of Pena on the feed Saturday. He looked very well composed. I don't care if he's ancient. We could use that.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 15, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Which players are for eligible for developmental contracts?

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | March 15, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

"picks of Drew Carey in a bathing suit..."

Man, I feel sick now.

I'm going to withhold comment until I see them play. I'm hoping they'll surprise out of the gate. It can't get much worse than last year .

Posted by: delantero | March 15, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I do not agree with a lot of the negative comments towards this roster. I think this has the potential to be a young and exciting team. I hope Yates makes the roster just because I used to train with the kid -he was always miles better than me. I say let the young kid play and express themselves, its not like we made the playoffs last yr...

DadRyan... I could do Lucky Bar tomorrow. I got to see. I might have to meet my mom for dinner in Rockville after she gets off work. That may present a problem. If I do not have that dinner arrangement I will be at Lucky Bar with my girlfriend. I will be around Ives and this blog tomorrow randomly posting. So I will let you know if I am there. I got a shaved with a beard and my girlfriend is a brunette. She is a little taller than me and more attractive, you would be able to pick us out. As I said, Ill post tomorrow if we are gonna be at Lucky's.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 15, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Sure buddy, everything is great. Strike or no strike it doesn't look good. If this team makes the playoffs, (with MLS you never know) I'd truly be surprised. None the less I'll still support.

Posted by: sire1 | March 15, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

With home boy Troy back in town at least you have a dependable keeper again for the first time since you sent him off to the Arctic Circle.

Posted by: csd1 | March 15, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I can see this team contending for a playoff berth. I don't see them as a Shield or Cup contender though.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 15, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm more of an optimist. Barklage looked good last year prior to injury. If Tino really is a man on a mission, then we have a legit national teamer running the show. Regardless of picking the players one by one, remember "they don't play the game on paper." Without the extra 15 games we've played the last 3 years, this team could gel and do okay. They don't look like worldbeaters, but the sum may be greater than the parts. Remember, many thought NYRB looked great on paper at the beginning of last year.

Posted by: soyinocente1 | March 15, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

@fischy
I was just informing beergorilla who would be getting the bulk of starts in the 4th midfield spot, not saying that all 3 of them are acceptable when considering DCU's legacy...

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 15, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | March 16, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Want to know how full of crepe the DCU front office is...just how desperately they're trying to put the lipstick on the pig that is this year's roster? Here's how the BTB blog describes the appearance of Yates in eh team camp:

"Drew Yates has joined United on trial from Chicago, where the 29th overall pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft was training for the first portion of the preseason. "

Where he "was training for the first portion of the preseason"?? Really?? He was just "training" there? Silly me. I imagined the Fire had drafted him and then cut him loose after he creped out really badly in their preseason camp. I figured they gave up on their 2nd round pick before the preseason ended, and released him. It turns out he was just "training" with the Fire for the "first part" of the preseason. So, natch, he's moved on to DCU. Way to go, FO!

Posted by: fischy | March 16, 2010 1:52 AM | Report abuse

I hate playing the Kansas City Wizards at Kansas City - it seems we always have bad luck there the past few years. I think we have some solid prospects at Defense and I think we will see the Moreno/Pontius duo to start out the season. The middle is where I fear our team lacks the most. Hopefully Simms and Szetela can get healthy reallll soon. I am not a fan of Morsink - I thought he played terrible in the first match of the Carolina Cup Tourney - especially the dumb foul that led to the RSL PK. I say sign Najar and throw him into the lions cage (aka starting lineup).

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | March 16, 2010 4:26 AM | Report abuse

"Mediocrities! Mediocrities everywhere!..."

Salieri, Amadeus 1984

Posted by: Ron16 | March 16, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness it's a World Cup year. No stadium, no signings, no contract, no excitement, no hope.

Posted by: ncguy | March 16, 2010 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | March 16, 2010 1:52 AM
________________________________________
Or, on the other hand, it might have been a player that DC United rated but did not have the draft picks to select, and Chicago did not need. Before you choose the nuclear option, consider that the front office may have seen this guy play once or twice, which is probably more than you or I have...

Posted by: schmuckatelli | March 16, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

@grubbs, I may be at Lucky. LIttle more likely I'll need to cruise home and relieve Grandpa of his babysitting duties, but if they're out and about I may not have to be home as early as normal... We'll see. I'm throwing on a 2006ish Ben Olsen DCU jersey... Tallish, glasses, beerbelly... cycling helmet and cap? LOL. I stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe not necessarily at the Lucky, but still..

Posted by: DadRyan | March 16, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

I'll always give the team a chance going into the season.

Yes a good number of names on our roster are new and don't have the history with the club, but I think we're starting to see the actual lack of attraction to come play in DC given the condition of our playing conditions when compared to - oh just about everyone else in the league.

Give the boys a chance to prove their worth!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 16, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Horrible roster, bring back the old players I am sure we will do better with them. I guess I'll skip watching them play at RFK for a second year in a row.

Posted by: Monguita | March 16, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

@schmuckatelli -- I'm sure DCU did scout Yates. Several of us were writing online that we were hoping he'd make it to DCU's spot. He was a good player in college, which is why Chicago took him. But, the must not have been impressed in camp, if they cut him.

Posted by: fischy | March 16, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I would ask for a Tuesday Kickaround, but if it doesn't happen immediately, I'd be forced to think that yesterday was just a coincidence.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 16, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Daniel Woolard, Drew Yates... DCU is starting to look like a Chicago farm club. I'm sure there's still room in the NASL schedule for them to slip in... It would make for sweet derbies with Crystal Palace.

Posted by: Modibo | March 16, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Looks thin to me, but then again if Castillo attacks more aggressively than Fred, which would not be hard to do, and if Allsop and Cristman hustle more than Emilio, ditto, it could be a decent improvement over last season.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 16, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

@fischy Is there anything remarkable about the DCU announcement on Yates? You are really taking the front office to task about that? What were they supposed to say? Were they supposed to insult the guy they just brought in on trial?

Posted by: assocfoot | March 16, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

@assoc --- A little candor goes a long way, without insulting anyone. How about this:

"Drew Yates has joined United on trial, after being released from Chicago. Yates was the 29th overall pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft."

It's honest -- doesn't sound like they're trying a snowjob. I don't think it's insulting to Yates, and it's less insulting to the team's fans. At least, it is for me.

Posted by: fischy | March 16, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I agree with fischy. Consumers today (we) are too savvy to see through marketing hype, and a straight-forward announcement does just fine.

Like others on this blog, I can't say I'm especially thrilled by this roster or coach on paper. I come to the season (and games at RFK) with an open mind, however, so I look forward to seeing what they can do.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 16, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

point of clarification - is this the regular team or the scab team in event of strike? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist given all the comments. I still bleed red white and black. Just hoping not to bleed too much of it this year.

Posted by: regularfan | March 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse