D.C. United roster updates

*Goalkeeper Ray Burse and forward Two-Boys Gumede have ended their trials and will not be offered contracts.

*Defender Quiarol Arzu has returned to Honduras, and the club will make a decision soon whether to make an offer to his club, Platense.

*Defender Barry Rice, from the University of Kentucky, and midfielder-defender Shintaro Harada, from second-division Crystal Palace Baltimore, have begun trials. Real Salt Lake also had interest in Rice. Harada, 29, played in Japan before moving to the United States in 2007.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 2, 2010; 9:57 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday kickaround
Next: United's Burch, Simms suffer injuries

Comments

Rice + Harada + fischy = sushi

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 2, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Awww...so much for the TwoBoys/Boyzzz jokes.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 2, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I saw Harada play last year against CP London and he held his own against the parent team's forwards. Could be a good pick up for coverage/depth.

Posted by: rtm1 | March 2, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

The Yanki-Yank Shintaro Harada report:

Shintaro is one heck of a player. After Matthew Mbuta (who was recently relased by NY red Bulls, he is probably the best "discovery" that Jim and Pete have had since CP Baltimore started.

Personally prefer him in the middle but he had to play in defense last season for place usually he played the top point of the defensive diamond.

Physically, he is on the small side (sort of like DMB) but he is very savvy. When he is in his flow, he is better than some of the guys that DCU has on the bench and he would have been a good option for the fixture congestion that DCU had to put up with the last few years.

The guy played in the J1 for a while before coming to the States. He works very hard, has a bit of a trash-talking, instigating edge on the field.

He trained last year with the Palace in London. They thought enough of him to have him over.

Like rtm1 already stated, he doesn't look over his head usually when he steps up in competition.

Chicago Fire should have probably signed him when they had a look at him a couple years back. They probably figured that they already had a similar piece in place or he had a bad trial. if I recall correctly, he played at least one reserve match for them back in 08.

I definitely like the player and could see him coming off the bench during the long griniding parts of the season; He is better than some of the guys we have been using the last couple years...

Posted by: yankiboy | March 2, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

The Yanki-Yank Shintaro Harada report:

Posted by: yankiboy | March 2, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

The YYRP Scouting report was so good that I had to give it to yall twice (ok. I am an awkward, impatient oaf who hit the submit button twice, I admit it--everybody can't be as cool ad DadRyan, fischy, joedoc and all them, ya know)

Posted by: yankiboy | March 2, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Shoot, you're plenty cool in my book yankityyank! Your perspective is always much appreciated by me. Besides, I'm guessing anyone who knows me probably thinks of me as more of a freak or geek than someone who'd be considered "cool" in this day and age.

On Topic: Can't wait to hear about Danny Szetela's fitness and knee. Also, will the ES/Guatemala match be broadcast anywhere of not tomorrow night? Curious to check out Castillo if so.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 2, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Love me some sushi. Is Harada buying or am I?

Looked up Shintaro on Wikipedia. Seems like an interesting case. He was flaming out in Japan, having spent his last two seasons for a third tier team. By all accounts (including yankiboy), he was a standout with CPUSA -- runner-up for USL2 Defender of the Year. That might not be impressive in itself, given the level, but he had a 3-month trial with Palace in London. That sounds like he ought to be able to compete in MLS.

Glad to see Rice is in for a trial. I'd be interested in learning why he was delayed. I don't know why he slipped out of the draft class, but I've got a good feeling about Rice. Somewhere, with all these guys competing (Adams, Rice, Graye, Harada, Arzu N'Galula, Wasson and maybe Taylor), there's got to be a couple of guys capable of contributing.

Posted by: fischy | March 2, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Here's a question. We all noted that DC gave up a lot to bring back Perkins. How long until Hamid starts pushing him for the starting job - or, at least for more playing time?

Posted by: fischy | March 2, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

What position does Harada play RB,CB, or LB?

Posted by: no_recess | March 2, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

What position does Harada play RB,CB, or LB?

Posted by: no_recess | March 2, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Hamid will be the starting keeper in 2012. Unless the team is moved to PDX...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 2, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

@fischy: my guess on Hamid is that he will soon be good enough to push Perkins, and may be traded over the next couple of years for an impact field player. This assumes Perkins remains healthy and in form that United wants to keep him.

Hamid seems to have all of the tools to be a first-rate goalkeeper. Well done to United for helping to develop him.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 2, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@no-recess:

Well-played.

He can play anwhere in midfield. I think that he attacks probably better than he defends. He has good field awareness. I prefer him towarss the middle.

In defense in a four man back line diamond shape, he looks more comfortable up top of the diamond.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 2, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The Yanki-Yank Shintaro Harada report:

Don't talk back?

Posted by: Reignking | March 2, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Shintaro Harada was at the Union trials earlier in the year..... he is more of a defensive midfielder... we dont need any Union rejects!

For anyone that cares I have found the long lost Erwin Diaz!

Posted by: LOCOXUNITED | March 2, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Go Shintaro! Good luck!!

Posted by: spidergoose | March 2, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I'll add a little to Yanki's report on Shintaro -- dude plays with massive heart and he's the type that will always give 100% and bleed for the shirt. He definitely belongs at a level higher than USL-2 and from seeing most of his games in 2008, I'd say he won't be an regular MLS starter, but he would provide quality depth.

Posted by: spidergoose | March 2, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I had heard through the grapevine that Harada was best in an attacking fullback role, or possibly wide midfield. It's fascinating to read from yankiboy that he's more versatile than that.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 2, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Not sure where you heard that, Chest, but I've never seen him play anything other than CM or CB.

Posted by: spidergoose | March 2, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse