D.C. United to sign Carey Talley

Defender Carey Talley, who began his MLS career with D.C. United in 1998, is about to return to Washington after being waived by Chivas USA.

Talley, 33, trained with United today and was claimed through the league's discovery process late this afternoon. He cleared waivers Wednesday. United is negotiating a lower salary to sign Talley, who earned more than $125,000 last year. However, a deal is expected to be finalized tonight.

United considered trading for him this preseason but turned its attention to signing Juan Manuel Peña when the Bolivian center back became available. In need of additional defensive reinforcement, Talley re-surfaced on D.C.'s radar this week.

With Bryan Namoff (post-concussion) out indefinitely, Marc Burch (foot) sidelined for several months and Devon McTavish (hamstring) unlikely to play in Saturday's opener at Kansas City, Talley would provide badly needed cover on the backline. He started 27 league matches last year and can play in the middle and on the right side. To accommodate Talley's arrival, United does not have to make any roster moves.

He has appeared in 299 league matches for five clubs. In 1998, United drafted him from North Carolina and watched him blossom into an immediate starter. The club traded him to Kansas City after the 2001 season.

Meantime.....

[update]*United formally announced Peña's signing. He is in Spain completing the visa process and seems doubtful to be back in time for the opener.

*Christian Gomez, the former United playmaker whose contract was not renewed this past offseason, has agreed to terms with FC Miami in the U.S. second division.

By Steve Goff  |  March 25, 2010; 5:07 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , USA 2nd division
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes
Next: Weekend TV listings

Comments

Does this mean that the Pena deal is off, or that the front office finally sees the importance of having enough center backs?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 25, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Well, after a few years of being one of the more porous defenses, seems like the FO is stocking up on D. As long as we can score, too, that's cool.

Posted by: eadc | March 25, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Leonsis agreed to buy the Wizzzz. Maybe he can throw a bone to Chang here and bring some competence to the stadium fiasco.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 25, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to play second-rate soccer, The wretched refuse of your teeming squad. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

--Curt Onalfo, March 2010

Posted by: Logan_Circle | March 25, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a really great roster-depth move.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Talley back in DC! Good move for a quality guy.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | March 25, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the positive comments above. Good player, good guy, good deal DCU!!!

Posted by: BmoreDave | March 25, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I had a feeling that might happen.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Talley has played d-mid as well as most positions on the back line. So he's a good player to have assuming he hasn't lost it. I assume he's still decent since Chivas' defense was quite good for most of last season.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 25, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Meantime, good luck to CG...

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Any idea of what a guy like Gomez will earn in D2?

Posted by: Logan_Circle | March 25, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I concur with the comments that this is a great move. I enjoyed watching him in his first stint in DC.

Posted by: tmcneil2 | March 25, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe J. Busch or Noonan haven't been p/u by anyone yet.

Talley? Eh, neither here nor there. Given how porous our d was last year and how we had to p/u Vaughn, and Hamburglar, and even Avery John, I'm alright with it.

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Welcome home Carey Talley! He's an upgrade over Lawson Vaughn, and will provide some experienced depth while Namoff recovers.

Oh and Goff's twitter feed now has the team signing Pena as well. Sweet!

Posted by: DCUMD | March 25, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

A very smart roster depth move. Talley should have a year or two left in the tank.

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 25, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Any idea of what a guy like Gomez will earn in D2?

Posted by: Logan_Circle | March 25, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering that too, because in all honesty, for what you'd think Miami FC could afford, we could probably still have used him.

Posted by: stancollins | March 25, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Look for a sign that says something like Hi (dad)Ryan or something like that in the stands tonight... Kinda jealous of all my Seattle facebook friends going to the match tonight. The city sounds to be busting a nut.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I like the Talley signing. Don't really know Pena but I'm more than happy to give him a shot.

VAMOS UNITED!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 25, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Seattle Flounders and the Dillydelphia Bunion. I'm hoping for a nil-nil tie.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 25, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

2 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 25, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Carey! He always seemed to not only work hard for the team but also to show his appreciation for the fans. Good to have him back.

Posted by: ricky_b | March 25, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

9Nine9, why would you wish that on us??

Posted by: carmines757 | March 25, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane
==========

When he was first here, I thought he played better at d-mid than D. But we had guys named Pope and Goose and Llamosa, so the bar was pretty high.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Welcome home Carey.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 25, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 9Nine9

and a cruise missile to hit the pitch in the 89 minute!?!
just kidding...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

"Talley would provide badly needed cover on the backline"

Umm...I think we need cover badly in the midfield. According to my calculations for the defense we have: Pena, Jakovic, Wallace, McTavish, James and Burch & Namoff when healthy.

Now we add Talley? 8 defenders, really? Doesn't make too much sense to me.

Posted by: redskinsux | March 25, 2010 8:31 PM | Report abuse

redskinsux,

Talley can also play DM, so this addition provides depth in a couple of areas.

Posted by: Unitedfury | March 25, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

@redskinsux -- You're not even counting Adams, Graye and Rice. However, I think we can move McTavish off the defenders' list. He's more a midfielder. As for Namoff, you're being awfully optimistic. He may be able to play this year, and he may not. Talley's signing is an excellent one. Chivas' fans still don't understand why he's not with their team. I'm not entirely clear on what happened there, but apparently his wife got involved.

When Talley was released, I thought about posting here. I"m glad the team saw the logic in bringing him in. This pre-season just keeps getting better and better. You're absolutely right about the team's weaknesses in the midfield. I'm also a little concerned how effective Allsopp will be. However, the FO has to be looking at how much cap room they have and dreaming about who they can bring in this summer to fix those problems. The team kicks off on Saturday. When it does, it will be time to start doing more than just dreaming about what happens this summer, but maybe it'll be time to start dreaming about what could be in November...in Toronto. I"m starting to believe in the possibilities.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

As for Burch -- I'll be first to say this -- don't count on his return to DC United. Let's see what Wallace and Adams can do at left back. If they can do the job, that would be more than I could say about Burch.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Woaah fischy! Start drinking a little early today? LOL.
Vamos United!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I was referring to your MLS Cup comment. Not the Burch one. I get a feeling United will keep a light on for Burch regardless of what happens. We were after all looking at a distinct possibility that he was being moved into the center to pair with Dejan right? Pena and Talley may not be around longer than season. I get a feeling Burch is a player that someone, if not everyone likes. I.E.:Chang, Payne, etc.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Soccer America has put out an updated list of soccer-friendly watering holes in MLS markets. Interestingly, it includes a pub in Pittsburgh, but places it in the Philadelphia market. In fact, Pittsburgh is much closer to Columbus than to Philly. Even Washington is closer to Pittsburgh. In fact, Toronto and Philadelphia are roughly equidistant from Pittsburgh.

Speaking of watering holes, the other day I was at Union Jack's in Ballston, a place that I've seen mentioned on this blog, for the first time. They have some rather creative names for the items on their menu. I wondered whether anyone has ever pointed out to them that at least two of their burgers are named after famous vegetarians.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 25, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I did start drinking a little early tonight. Why do you ask?

Dad, I think this team will struggle to score for the first half of the season, but I'm very impressed with the players the team has brought in to shore up the defense. I have to think they're going to do something with all that cap money before the season is over, to fix any problems with the offense. There are holes right now, but by July, this could be as good any other team in MLS. I'm not going to predict a Supporters' Shield, but they could be good enough to win in the playoffs.

Whoa!! Rain....in...Seattle? Check out Philly's midfield!!! Orozco and Mwanga in the center of midfield...and our old friend Jacobson out wide.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Yellow card Philly in its first minute by a guy with a mohawk. The Philly way!

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

A tough call -- which team has the uglier uniform? I'm going with Philly!

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Don't you love the dark unis against the dark field? Ug.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Can't remember the last time I saw a GK wearing white. Anyone?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Aww, come on man. Talley has been a very solid defensive player. I like this move. A solid player all throughout his career, at a cheap price. Experience is what Talley and Pena bring to our D.

As for the MLS starter...... Just as I was formulating a thought, Seattle just scored. Goes to show the finicky of the soccer gods.

Posted by: dogboy | March 25, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Evans??!!? Yes!! Goal #1 for Fischy Fries!!!

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

That's the Andrew Jacobson I remember. Sent every shot over top of the goal.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Philly getting creamed on the right side.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

At this moment there is a link to a story on the opening of the MLS season on the CNN home page, the first time I've ever seen that.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 25, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Cheesy comment from I270.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 25, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

This is why I have stayed away from fantasy leagues before. I should be OK with Montero being hurt, but I'm starting him.....

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

This is starting to look like all the defensive cover we have lacked in the past four seasons... at once.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 25, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be a rout.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Looks like it's gonna be a bagel for Philly tonight.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking 3-0. Now I'm not so sure it couldn't be 5 or 6...

Big ups to the Sons of Ben who made the trip, though

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 25, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Flounders got this one all lox'd up.
Points for me for Riley and Schmid.
270, I liked Mitts and Osborne better .. . made me smile for a moment.

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

So, haven't watched anything but highlights, was Fred da Silva the #10 we gave away?

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice Union pass to Keller...

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

@DudeRyan: There HAS to be someone in that crowd who owes you money.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 25, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Where is Fred? Hurt?

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

@RK -- Fred is suspended. He got a card in the last DCU game...

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Should be called the Philadelphia Telegraph...

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

GKs wearing white that I have seen at least once this season --
Hans-Jorg (Don't Touch My) Butt, Bayern Munich
Jeremie Janot, Saint-Etienne
Alfredo Talavera, Toluca
It's rare, but I think it's very cool.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | March 25, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Fred is out from the red card in our last game vs. KC last year. Welcome to Philly, now sit down.

Posted by: jojosbo | March 25, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Seattle fans chanting "Get him off". One, that sounds wrong, and two, you really think Philly is trying to delay?

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Jack McInerney in?

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

I WANT MCINERNEY. Really wish we had managed to hold onto that draft pick in the trade.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 25, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

The ref uniforms make me think of a McDonald's drive thru, minus the hat.

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

McInerney has LeBron James Syndrom: Really, only 17 years old?

Posted by: jojosbo | March 25, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Or Spain...

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Could Schmid have gained any MORE weight? I think there might be a blowhole underneath that jacket.

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

LOL Harkes uses literally his last breath on the air to tell us what Zakuani should have done with the ball (i.e. not turn it over). God, what a tool.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 25, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Frank Martin of Kansas State has some serious anger issues.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 25, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Soccer league administrators doing some dang fine work. The Portuguese Football Federation reduced Hulk's suspension from four months to only 3 games. Unfortunately for Porto, he'd already had to sit out 17 games.

Hulk SMASH!!!!

Posted by: fischy | March 26, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

@fischy, you're troubled the team won't score in the beginning of the season? Jaime already scored 3 or 4 against WHO? in preseason? We've finally got someone who can take a proper corner in the mix other than Jaime. I was left feeling pretty good after Onalfo''s interview on WaPostLive today.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Philly looked weaker than I thought. Anyone else not really buy Harkesy gushing over Torres? I mean, for an 18 year old he's good, and he'll do better, but his play without the ball was really lacking (like virtually everyone in a Union shirt).

Seattle was about what you'd expect. I hope people don't treat the ease with which they swept the Union aside as a sign of the Sounders being brilliant. They weren't; a team clicking on all cylinders would have totally embarrassed Philly (meaning at least 4-0). Seattle dispatched a low-quality team in perfunctory fashion, no more.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 26, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Agree with Chest, not much effort by Seattle after up a man. But Philly looked just fine, they actually had some chances, but we see why Jacobsen was left unprotected by DC. I dislike Montero's theatrics/diving, but his goal was pure goal-scorer poaching.

Posted by: jojosbo | March 26, 2010 1:17 AM | Report abuse

Montero and Lungberg make me ill.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 26, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Don't let Seattle forget they lost to the Timbers at home a few weeks ago...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 26, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I like the Carey Talley signing - like a good sensible pair of shoes (Copa's) and should be in good position to hold down the fort for a bit. My only concern is I look at the DCU roster and it just feels very disjointed; our best player is in his late 30's and how much can 99 do? He will score goals, hold the ball and create but if he is only on the pitch 60% of the time.. who else?
DCU Front Office is still 2 quality signings a way from the upper third of the league table in my mind... plus we need to get healthy fast!
DCU 1 KC 1 in the opener