D.C. United TV schedule update

Fifteen D.C. United matches will appear on Comcast SportsNet this season, and combined with nine national telecasts, all but six games will be shown on regular outlets. However, because of programming conflicts, neither the season opener at Kansas City nor the home debut against New England will be accessible except through MLS's TV and online packages.

The March 27 opener conflicts with Comcast's coverage of a Washington Wizards game against Utah. Comcast is contractually obligated to show that contest. The station could present the DCU match on an alternate channel, but that would mean doubling production costs and paying a rights fee. (Comcast does pay for the rights to show United matches but on a game-by-game basis.)

The following week, United's home opener against New England goes up against a Washington Capitals game in Columbus.

At the moment, only one of United's first four games will be televised: April 10 at Philadelphia on Fox Soccer Channel. Comcast's first production will be May 1 against New York at RFK Stadium, a game that will also be shown on Telefutura.

Veteran play-by-play man Dave Johnson and color commentator Thomas Rongen will return to the booth. The schedule is subject to change, meaning matches could be added at later dates.

In other broadcast, news, former United forward Ronald Cerritos has joined the Spanish radio team for coverage on La Nueva 87.7 FM.

By Steve Goff  |  March 9, 2010; 3:48 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Great Pepsi World Cup ad
Next: Americans abroad, Tuesday edition

Comments

Let's hope the TV Gods give away the first week of the PPV package for free, as they usually do.

Posted by: nairbsod | March 9, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

@Goff: any rumblings of a refresh/update to the MLS streaming package? Higher Quality? Ad-supported and free?

I remember hearing that their website(s) is getting a refresh for this season, hoping for something better than the outdated system now in place.

Posted by: Logan_Circle | March 9, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I didn't mind the MLSNet package last year. Every game live (except espn and fsc, which I could just watch on tv) plus archives fro $20. Pretty solid deal, but if they improve the quality, I won't complain.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 9, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

OH, so it's like THAT Mr. Nasri?!? Or should we say "Mr. Nasty"?!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 9, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Still kinda ticked that they don't have an English-language radio broadcast...

Posted by: Juan-John1 | March 9, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Classic UCL second leg in Italy:

man, you think Sounders fans are annoying? Check these folks out.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 9, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Argy Bargy almost picked up Jovetic today but didn't think Florence would advance (and they still may not)

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"Still kinda ticked that they don't have an English-language radio broadcast..."

They had one for years, and now they don't. Sign of the times.

Or can you just not live without theguywhohasn'ttakenabreathsince2001?

Posted by: very_clever_username | March 9, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

horrible.

Posted by: beergorila | March 9, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

If Telefutura is airing the same game as CSN, who's paying for the rights fee? Are they splitting it? Why not let Telefutura do that one, and CSN can pay for another one that no one (aside from MLSNet) is televising?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | March 9, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

If I recall correctly, last year my Direct Kick subscription package blacked out DC United when the games were to be shown on Comcast, even when the Comcast broadcast was either delayed or canceled.

Unhappy doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about both outlets.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 9, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm quite disappointed at the number of games (one fifth!) that will only be available via DirectKick or the MLS website. Not so much for me, of course - I'm sure I'll get the MLS website package again (it's a great deal if the price is the same) and/or I'll be able to find a bar with Direct Kick, but very few casual fans will be willing or able to go to those lengths. It's a missed opportunity, I think.

Of course, since CSN is on a game-by-game basis, is it possible that they could later decide to pick up the two games in October if United is doing well and making a playoff push?

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 9, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"They had one for years, and now they don't. Sign of the times.

Or can you just not live without theguywhohasn'ttakenabreathsince2001?"

I also am sad about the English language broadcasts. I love Limarzi's style as play-by-play and his obvious bias and passion for DC United. I know that CSN has utilized him a few times in the past and I hope they will do so again this season since he doesn't have his regular play-by-play gig anymore.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 9, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I'm spending the evening of the 27th at Molly Malone's ....

Posted by: jofij | March 9, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The three road games not on television are really annoying. Why can't the league, among all its other cost sharing activities, arrange for coverage of all away games for each team? They could black out the home market unless some attendance threshold is met. Ah, but I digress...

I guess I'll try to find a bar to watch the opener at KC.

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 9, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I'm spending the evening of the 27th at Molly Malone's ....

Posted by: jofij |

I'll see you there.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty disappointing that seeing United on TV is just as hard now, in the "all games televised!" era, as it was back in 1996.

Is there someone we can harass at Comcast to get them to pick up the opener on CSN+?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 9, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell

Hey! I'm facebook friends with Russ Thaler!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

So by 9 National telecasts, are those FSC/ESPN/ABC etc?

Thinking about Direct Kick, but not going to drop $70-80 on a handful of games.

Posted by: delantero | March 9, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Just for the heck of it, I looked at the KC TV schedule (to see if they were on in their area on 3/27)

They really have 27 matches live on a local CW affiliate (KCWE)? That's impressive, good for them.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 9, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

This is way better coverage than last year. Thank god. I was frustrated last year at the number of games I couldn't watch.

Posted by: Matte | March 9, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"At the moment, only one of United's first four games will be televised: April 10 at Philadelphia on Fox Soccer Channel."

Well, we'll all BE at that game so that's not much help! Anyone remember where we put the kegerator at the end of last season?

Posted by: KireDCU | March 9, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure most, if not all, of the DCU games will be shown on the internet for free from the list of usual websites (channelsurfing.net, atdhe.net, justintv, etc.)

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 9, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't get Comcast down here in the Carolinas so the mlsnet option is great for me. I will get my games in any way I can. I will be headed down to Charleston on the 20th again this year but that might be the only live game of the year. I just hope we get a full season in this year.

Posted by: evanskr521 | March 9, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

How is arbitration coming along?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 9, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of April 10th, I noticed that they're relegating the DCU fans into the upper deck of the linc... I also noticed that there really isn't anything from stopping someone from buying tickets through the PU's site. You can actually find seats in the lower bowl.

Kind of creates a conundrum not televising many of the first handful of games EXCEPT the one in Philly... Makes it hard for a broke MOFO like me figuring out what games I can attend and what ones I can stay home and not feel bad about it. I'd rather miss the home opener if it means making the Philly game, but now...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

18 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 9, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

For United fans in the Carolinas and elsewhere abroad, most BIG sports bars have DirecTV packages that include Comcast Mid-Atlantic.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 9, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else disappointed that Dave Johnson will be around for yet another season?

Posted by: runningcloud | March 10, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: runningcloud | March 10, 2010 8:30 AM

No. You're the only one. Dave Johnson is one of the most talented and best respected sports broadcasters in the DC area. Who would you prefer?

I think Vercengetorixll has this issue correct. We hardcore United fans are likely to either find every match bootlegged online or buy one of the packages. But casual sports fans who are looking for something to watch on a Saturday night will never stumble upon a DC United match in either of those places. It's hard to grow our fan base with such mediocre coverage.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 10, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse