Emilio returning to MLS?

We might not have seen the last of Luciano Emilio, the 2007 MLS most valuable player who was let go by D.C. United over the winter.

According to several sources, talks are intensifying about Emilio possibly returning to the league before MLS's registration window for international players closes in mid-April. Although United has no plans of reacquiring him, D.C. does retain his MLS rights and would receive compensation.

The re-entry draft -- which was agreed upon in the new collective bargaining agreement in order to give players greater freedom to move within the league -- would seem to apply in this case because Emilio's option was not exercised. However, that mechanism won't be implemented until after the 2010 season. Thus, if teams are interested and Emilio reaches contract terms with the league, United would be in position to accept the best offer in exchange for his rights.

Keep reading.....

Since leaving Washington, Emilio, 31, has been playing for Brazilian club Rio Branco in his home state of Sao Paulo. Rio Branco's season will end soon and he will be out of contract. Emilio has a U.S. green card and would not count against a team's foreign player limit. If he were to return to MLS, his salary would, unquestionably, no longer be in the designated player range.

Who in MLS might be interested? The Insider has learned that expansion Philadelphia is considering several options at striker, including Emilio. If you watched the Union's debut Thursday or checked its roster, you would understand the urgent need for a proven scorer with a physical presence who could serve as a target and create some danger in the penalty area.

Philadelphia "has a couple of things in the works," one source said.

Emilio scored 20 regular season goals in 2007, 11 the following year and 10 last season.

Another source said "Emilio wants to play in MLS again. There might be a good situation for him somewhere in the league."

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday kickaround
Next: Matchday: United-Wizards

Comments

With Summer approaching Nowak needs another Brazilian.

Posted by: DonDraper | March 27, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The pessimist in me expects we'll somehow get Fred back.

I suppose Jacobson is too much to hope for.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 27, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

This can be the open door to get something back after getting fleeced on the draft day deal.

Again, getting Perkins back is very good, but I still think United gave up waaaay too much to get him back.

That being said, I'm not sure what I would want from Philly if they do deal for Emilio. Minimum 1st round pick next season (likely to be 3rd or 4th pick if they suck) along with a player (not including what they gave up).

Posted by: ARickey | March 27, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

A first round pick is too much to ask for. Remember, we released Emilio. 2nd round pick is much more likely.

But somehow the Fred return (at a renegotiated lower salary?) may make sense. We could use the depth in midfield once Santino inevitably picks up a knock.

Posted by: jofij | March 27, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Fleeced? I'll disagree with that...

Posted by: JkR- | March 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

can we start naming bars that that will be showing the game tonight? I know Molly's, Continental, Black Fin. Who else?

Posted by: jsm3 | March 27, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

^^ I like that game. I'm going to call Babylon Futbol Cafe and see if they are showing it...

Posted by: tphasbdp | March 27, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Babylon FC is showing it. I'll prob head out there.

Anyone else?

Posted by: tphasbdp | March 27, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

probably sommers

Posted by: jsm3 | March 27, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Nowak's Union squad did absolutely zilch v Seattle. They showed very little skill and will be a hacking side until better players show up. Emilio without a playmaker is useless.

Posted by: juke2 | March 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Good luck wiht that philly! Good riddens!

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | March 27, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Good luck wiht that philly! Good riddens!

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | March 27, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

6 hours until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I would say Emilio for an international slot and a 3rd rounder would be fair. DC will definitely need one if they plan on making bigger moves in the summer, while any team signing Emilio wouldn't have to use one on him since he has a green card. I think the teams most likely to be interested in him are FCD, Philly, TFC, and CUSA, since all of them could use a proven goalscorer and have limited options depth-wise.

Posted by: jason1551 | March 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Emilio. I say we trade his rights for Jacobson.

Posted by: spikeman | March 27, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm in on the Jacobsen idea too, I'd much rather have him backing up our CMs than Morsink.

Posted by: sockey1 | March 27, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Actually, DC does have an unused international slot. However, I do think they have the cap room to go after 2 (and possibly more) players this summer, so another international slot would be very useful. If Philly is the destination, I"m not sure that's a viable exchange. Philly has nine internationals -- or, at least, nine players born outside the country.

I am a bit confused about Emilo's status. I thought teams had to make some effort to re-sign the player to retain their rights...negotiate and/or make an offer.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 27, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Philadelphia "has a couple of things in the works," one source, who wanted to remain anonymous because his quote is totally uninformative, said.

Philly has no-one to get the ball to Emilio. He would have to come back deep to get the ball and when he drops back he's ineffective. Crap! I meant to write Emilio would be a great addition to the Union. His speed, skill, and agelessness are just what they need. Sign him up, whatever the cost.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

For those heading to Continental for the Kick-Off Shindig - it is free and open to the public (over 21+)

But if you get there between 6pm and 6:30pm you can donate to A-SPAN.org and jump on one of the "bar triathlon" teams. You can register at the door for the competition.

We will be watching all the MLS action during the course of the evening for those who want to stay after the DC United - KC clash to watch the West Coast fare.

Wear your favorite club or country jersey and you are guaranteed to win a prize!!

You are also more than welcome to try and win the raffle prizes:

* Atlantic City Philly Union Busters Roadtrip
* Day of Game Philly Union Busters Roadtrip (family friendly option available)
* Ben Olsen print saluting the supporters
* Golf Package
* Terps Tickets
* USA - Costa Rica commemorative scarf

and much, much more!

Posted by: SEOutreach | March 27, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, DC made Emilio an offer and he refused, so DC still owns his rights.

As far as internationals for Philly, who do they have? Mwanga, Fred, Moreno(?), Okugo, Torres, Stahl, Thomas, Le Toux, and Myrie? I guess they have used all their slots, and I wouldn't want any of them. Maybe Okugo, but that seems like too much to ask.

And for those calling for the return of Jacobson: did y'all even watch Philly play on Thursday? Jacobson was horrible, and that was him playing in his preferred role (and where he would play if we brought him back).

Posted by: jason1551 | March 27, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, DC made Emilio an offer and he refused, so DC still owns his rights.

Posted by: jason1551 | March 27, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The post for Continental above is relevant for Insider readers but it still sounds a lot like an ad. I'm nearly sure, however, that a poster named "SEOutreach" wouldn't be a paid marketer.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | March 27, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I've watched six teams play so far, and I have to say, the pace of play seems to have picked up this season. Good development.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 27, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,
Try Oklahoma Joe's BBQ or Jazz Cajun cuisine if you have time. Both are really good!

Posted by: timmy6 | March 27, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Howard Count today -- not too hopeful about FiOs. Anyone have an suggestions about where to head?

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

@Fischy Your best bet is to get on I-95 to exit 41 and Exit on 175 towards Columbia then take a left on dobbin road. Frisco Burrito is about a 1-2 miles up the road on the left in a hidden shopping complex. It will be about 1/2 mile after goning through your 2nd stop light. They always have EPL games on and I have seen MLS games on as well.

Beer & Food.

Posted by: I-95Exit43 | March 27, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

3 hours until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 27, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

So what is the deal with Limarzi? Will he be heard only through DCU's Web site, or what?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 27, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

FIOS update: After 30 minutes on the phone with tech here is where I stand. Ordered DK (FIOS will carry it) but they are having tech issues and can't push it out to me until Monday. Lotta good that does me. I complained so the tech guy went to the "super secret tech guy" to see if he could push it out faster. He can. My order will now be pushed through on Sunday. So obviously, I'm thrilled. Something else, even though FIOS doesn't show the games listed in their program guide, TiVo does. Finally, anywhere in Upper MoCo I can watch my hometown team play their season opener? I feel like it's 1998 and I'm trying to watch Ajax on Sunday morning. That was kind of exciting though. Twelve years later trying to watch an American soccer league at my house is just sad.

Posted by: ajaxdude | March 27, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

DONDRAPER, that's a really disgusting visual you gave me there, am I the only one who got it or is my mind just really, really in the gutter?

My neighborhood FIOS having homies are not going to be getting that Freeview so it's lookin' like I might hit the Continental in Rosslyn this evening.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

fyi, comcast in arlington has it on 725

Posted by: troy6 | March 27, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

dadryan - that just means you are really homo for peter :)

Posted by: Section107 | March 27, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I was going through the FIOS hoops as well. I have been approved for DK today but here is the real problem. They are doing a system update this weekend. The system the ordering goes through is currently offline. They are aware of the orders that are pending but until the system is brought back online nothing matters. Ajax, they probably couldn't date you for today because the system is offline. To make matters worse most departments are unaware of the system problem and can't see it on their monitors. www.mlsnet.com here I come!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@PrinceBuster21

Screaming Eagles are hosting a viewing party at Continental tonight (hence the post about it from SEOutreach)

Barra Brava are having one at Molly Malone's

and the "official" DCU viewing is happening at BlackFinn

Posted by: emanon13 | March 27, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

crofton tells it like it is with FiOS. Spent a good portion of the day on the phone getting kicked around before it became apparent that no orders were making it thru. I'm headed to Kilroys.

Posted by: Truckr | March 27, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Red Bull Arena does look beautiful but there are a lot of empty seats right now (you can see the RB logo fairly easily). Hopefully, those seats will fill in soon but wouldn't you arrive on time for the first game in the brand new stadium on national tv?

Posted by: diego_r | March 27, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Heh, Jersey Bulls STILL can't fill up their stadium.....

Posted by: Juan-John | March 27, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Goodness. The Red Bull are playing some nice soccer.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Watching NY in their new stadium both makes me furious and makes me blue at the same time. It's a beautiful facility. Vamos United! Red-headed stepchildren forever!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Good Gried. Max Bretos is working for ESPN. We have a long summer ahead of us boys and girls.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

If Joe Biden was a soccer analyst, I'm sure he would say that Najar starting in the MLS opener is a big f****** deal

Posted by: diego_r | March 27, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse