Friday kickaround

northkorea.jpeg *As part of preparations for its first World Cup appearance in 44 years, North Korea was in Venezuela on Thursday for a friendly. The match ended in a 1-1 tie. But with the North Koreans, it's never that cut and dried. According to reports in Venezuela, the Koreans lost their uniforms at some point and had to borrow replacement kits from the Venezuelans. Because of the intense heat, the Koreans refused to start on time, a delay that resulted in the match being stopped 10 minutes early because the field in San Felipe didn't have lights. The teams will play again Saturday in Puerto la Cruz. (A game against Chile was canceled because of the earthquake.) Why do I have a feeling we're going to hear many more wacky tales from North Korean camp over the next few months?

*A hamstring injury has ended Michael Owen's season with Manchester United and his hopes of making England's World Cup squad.

*Colorado Rapids re-signed striker Conor Casey (16 goals last season) to a three-year contract. Terms were not disclosed; he earned $200,000 last year.

*In a major move, the Seattle Sounders acquired Swiss national team forward Blaise Nkufo, who is expected to join the club after the World Cup. One source told me that he will earn the equivalent of $550,000 per season.

*D.C. United's Jaime Moreno and Christian Castillo and former national team star Claudio Reyna will join First Lady Michelle Obama at a soccer clinic this morning to promote youth fitness. The event will take place at Washington's City Center (11th and H streets NW).

*Real Maryland, a third-division club, will host the Community Soccer Festival March 26-28 in Rockville. Participants will include several area college teams, youth clubs as well as Real Maryland and the Harrisburg City Islanders. Spain's Sporting Gijon, which has a partnership with Real Maryland, is planning to send a scout.

By Steve Goff  |  March 5, 2010; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , England , MLS , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV listings
Next: D.C. United signs Morsink, dumps N'Galula

Comments

Has Seattle traded for a DP slot because isn't Ljunberg a DP? I'm confused

Posted by: SexyOffender | March 5, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

MLS "rules" always favor Seattle :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Seattle may have used allocation money to buy down his contract to below DP levels, however I'm struggling to figure out how they had enough cap room for anyone else.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 5, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

But...but...but how will MLS ever hold on to veterans like Conor Casey if the league doesn't have free agency and basic player rights?

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 5, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Curious to see how Seattle worked this deal. Maybe one or both of the Freddies is gone after the World Cup break? It's not like they're over paying for Montero, but still.

Wonder if he knows he'll be playing on plastic?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 5, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if any North Koreans tried to disappear with the jerseys.

Posted by: dsheon1 | March 5, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Chavez stole the kits.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if there's anything new in this article from Soccer America but it points out some of the high cost issues of travel to South Africa for the Cup (flying Emirates is about half the cost of flying Delta) and includes links to a couple articles for those seeking travel tips.

I might fly my Tercel down to Nags Head during the Cup but I don't think the ferry to South Africa is operational yet...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 5, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Has Seattle traded for a DP slot because isn't Ljunberg a DP? I'm confused

Posted by: SexyOffender | March 5, 2010 9:38 AM |
----------------------------------------------------------

Note that Goff says he'll "earn the equivalent" of $550k. He doesn't join Seattle until after the World Cup. That's almost the halfway point. Hence, Seattle will be paying him something closer to $300k. Not DP money.

Apparently, Garber met with management of Manchester City, trying to interest them in buying a club. Supposedly also met with Barcelona (I still think that's the club most likely to buy in) and Real Madrid. Suggestions that ManCity's guy might be interested in Portland because he used to work there for Nike. I doubt it and I think there's a perfect name waiting for them in New York: City of New York FC.

THey're going to tour US and set up academy.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

if he's joining the Sounders after the world cup then they are only going to pay like half that salary, for a pro-rated season. (Goff said the $550k number is the equivalent per season.) If they're just paying him ~$300k then they don't have to make him a DP.

Posted by: joe_hill | March 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

or, what fischy said.

Posted by: joe_hill | March 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the DPRK team didn't want to pay the baggage fee, so they left the kits at home.

Like Blanche Dubois, they rely on the kindness of strangers.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Eureka! I've got it! If the DPRK players wore their own kits to the game, they'd have to exchange them with the Venezuelans after the game. They don't have another set of uniforms.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

There you go, Fischy.....beautiful.

Posted by: Smitty68 | March 5, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Dear Leader very unhappy.
-------------------------------------------

Kim Jong Il: Hans Brix? Oh no! Oh, herro. Great to see you again, Hans!

Hans Blix: Mr. Il, I was supposed to be allowed to inspect your palace today, but your guards won't let me enter certain areas.

Kim Jong Il: Hans, Hans, Hans! We've been frew this a dozen times. I don't have any weapons of mass destwuction, OK Hans?

Hans Blix: Then let me look around, so I can ease the UN's collective mind. I'm sorry, but the UN must be firm with you. Let me in, or else.

Kim Jong Il: Or else what?

Hans Blix: Or else we will be very angry with you... and we will write you a letter, telling you how angry we are.

Kim Jong Il: OK, Hans. I'll show you. Stand to your reft.

Hans Blix: [Moves to the left]

Kim Jong Il: A rittle more.

Hans Blix: [Moves to the left again]

Kim Jong Il: Good.
[Opens up trap, Hans falls in]

Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

This goes back to the point that I made many times during qualifying. The Asian federation received way too many World Cup spots. The 4.5 spots they received are directly responsible for the two weakest teams in the World Cup field: North Korea and New Zealand. (New Zealand beat the 5 ranked Asia team for the spot). My solution is to combine Asia with Oceania and give them 4 spots total.

I know that no one cares about the FIFA rankings, but you think FIFA might.

North Korea is ranked 103 in the world. First time a 100+ team plays in the World Cup?

Posted by: diego_r | March 5, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 10:27 AM

Smart. I guess that's what teams can do when they're not broke.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 5, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

oops, sorry for the error. Korea DPR is ranked 102.

Haiti (?!?) is ranked above them.

Posted by: diego_r | March 5, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@diego -- Not sure about that. Where was the USA ranked in '90 and '94?

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@fischy - No FIFA Rankings in 90' and the lowest the US has been ranked is mid 30's

Posted by: dkwatts86 | March 5, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

@fischy - thanks, that makes much more sense. Keep up the good research

Posted by: SexyOffender | March 5, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

What has happened to DCU signing prowess? I just don't see how this team does any better than the previous two seasons.

Posted by: TheDane1 | March 5, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

What has happened to DCU signing prowess?

Posted by: TheDane1 | March 5, 2010 11:46 AM

The club is broke and cannot go over the league funded salary cap.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

5 bucks says the salary of $550k is the new minimum non-DP salary that MLS has been offering to the union. Too bad free agency isnt part of that plan. The strike will be on.

Posted by: alespar415 | March 5, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

@diego -- Haiti had a nice run in the Gold Cup and was about a minute from beating the USA. I really would have thought MLS would be plucking some talent there.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Yes Highway I-270 Exit,
Hugo Chavez did steal the N. Korean outfits. He loves N. Korea so much it hurts.

Posted by: alespar415 | March 5, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Seattle signs a 34-year old has been for DP type money and he'll join after the World Cup when I'm sure he'll be fresh and ready to run like a 20-year old. Sigi was hot with his signings last year. Taxi for Sigi, you have a fail.

Posted by: Boogie_Knight | March 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------------------

Huh??? I think the minimum salary will still be in the $30k range for senior roster players, and half that for developmental.

Did you mean the minimum DP salary, not "non-DP"? I don't think the union is too worried about what the league is offering European stars, except that they'd want to lessen the salary cap hit, so there's more cap money to go around. I think MLS probably wants to do that, especially if they're serious about adding a second DP slot.

@BoogieKnight -- He's not young, but he's still scoring. Nkufo has averaged better than a goal every other game until this year. He'll still get double figures in the Eredivisie. That's gotta translate to pretty good numbers in MLS, too. He's also younger than Jaime, and I doubt he'll be worn out from Switzerland's long run in the World Cup. If he can help push Seattle on a strong late-season and playoff run, the team will make back every dime they spend on him. If he means just one more home playoff game, they'll probably bring in 5x more revenue than they're paying him. That would a tidy profit.

Frankly, this is a model other teams should be looking at. I don't know whether Seattle found him or the other way around, but I'm impressed.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jhgodfrey1 | March 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Moyes has a sense of humor?

"I'm keen to keep Landon and I think Landon's keen to stay as well so it looks like all parties are keen,” said Moyes.

I love this sentence.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Wonder Roy and Robbie think about this development.

Posted by: EssEff | March 5, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2010 10:53 AM
========

Well in, delantero!

But it makes me wonder if you're channeling your inner John Bolton.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 5, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

On a more serious note, this is worth a read:

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 5, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I love this sentence.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 12:43 PM

Only thing that would have made it funnier is if Roy Keane was talking about Robbie Keane.

"I'm keen to keep Keane and I think Keane's keen to stay as well so it looks like all parties are keen,” said Keane.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 5, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Wonder Roy and Robbie think about this development.

Posted by: EssEff | March 5, 2010 12:54 PM

DOH! :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | March 5, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Two Seventy, your blog doesn't like me. Tried to post anonymously . . anyways, apologies for it being unrelated Goff, etal .>>

270, the guidelines indicate fecal occult blood testing every year until 50.

Colonoscopies should start at 50, unless there is a 1st degree relative with cancer, or the patient has symptoms of inflammatory bowl disease, or FOBT is positive..

Basically, if you are under 50, with no one in your immediate family with colon cancer, then go put some poop on a card provided by your doctor and bring the card in for testing for hidden blood. While you're at it, get a cholesterol and diabetes screen too!

No insurance or unemployed? Ask a Republican what to do, just for fun . . or try a community health center

Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Ask a Republican what to do, just for fun.
Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2010 1:53 PM

OK, I'll bite...

1. Contact a local Christian church. Nearly all of them have funds set aside to help people in need.

2. Go to a community health center.

Either will work.

Or, you can:

1. Go to an atheist pastor, i.e., your local Democratic legislator, and thank him/her for creating the economic environment that has caused your job loss.

2. Sell everything -- Iphone, HDTV, car with the $400 payment -- and buy health insurance. It's your responsibility to insure yourself, not taxpayers.

3. Get a job, work hard and work your way up until you're successful. Sacrifice. Eat rice and beans, beans and rice. Get rid of your debt, and focus on housing, health insurance and transportation so you can get to and from work. This will mean, of course, you can no longer vote Democrat.

Just sayin'...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 5, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks delantero. I'll look in to the block on anon posting. I can't be impatial about the age cut-off, I'm 43.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

interesting theories, joedoc. too bad that's people are selling things just so they can stay alive. That's reality. People with no resources split their pills in half just to make ends meet and make them last, even at $4 a month via Wal-Mart. Tough when there has been no work to be had for the last two years, you've burnt your 401 K and sold your car. Trust me, I see it every day.

Funny thing was, I wasn't fishing in my comment to 270. And unlike my former self, am not going to go there . . . (R) Sen Bunning did it for me.

Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Kev29 -- how does "being broke" have anything to do with it? Salaries aren't paid by the team.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 5, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Kim Jong Il: "Ah 270, what is sound of one man crapping?"

Posted by: OWNTF | March 5, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Delantero, I provide a plan, you give excuses.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 5, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 5, 2010 2:35 PM

Of N'Galula's early departure, a source close to the situation said the club has "less expensive options who can do the same job."

By Steve Goff | March 5, 2010; 2:46 PM ET

Posted by: Kev29 | March 5, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

this is like carville and novak on crossfire

Posted by: OWNTF | March 5, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero
---------------------

Posted by: troy6 | March 5, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Boys, boys. Settle down. Something might be up your butts. Get 'scoped.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 5, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Salaries aren't paid by the team.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 5, 2010 2:35 PM
-------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe that's technically correct. The league negotiates or in some cases approves the contracts. The league also pays a portion of a DP's salary (up to the cap amount). All other salary payments are the team's responsibility.

Posted by: fischy | March 5, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

wow, dude, if you don't think that was fishing -- or trolling -- I'd hate to see what you DO consider fishing. Posted by: troy6

Ok, ok, so the Bunning comment was fishing, but trolling is another ball game. Plus, Joe Doc's been throwing bait out for weeks! :)

Seriously though, talk to your doc about your poop maker. It might just save your life.

Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

delantero, we are in complete agreement on that, my friend.

Though I would phrase it... uh, differently.

Not to be anal about it.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 5, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Kev29 -- that quote doesn't answer my question. If I've got two options, and both "do the same job," and one is less expensive than the other, I'm going to pick that option regardless of my financial state.

fischy -- already answered in the other thread; but for anyone still here reading, p. 17 of this document shows what's paid by the teams and what's paid by the league:

100% of salaries (under the cap) paid by the League.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 5, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc,

So you're turn a blind eye solution is to rely on the churches? Sounds like the rhetoric of GW Bush I and a "thousand points of light."

Sure, churches. They can usually manage a month of meds, or help contribute to the cost of a test, but not provide health care. The very idea that you think you can and should rely on churches to take on this size of a problem is, well, telling.

But sadly, most conservatives can't comprehend that they already pay for health insurance for the uninsured, and costly care at that. People who routinely don't go to the doctor, or can't afford even generic medication end up costing the system more. And by "system" that means you and your monthly premium.

And funding for Community Health Centers just happens to be on bills before both houses. Not one Republican has signed on. Telling.

Lastly, Greenspan and the like started their conservative/libertarian, don't touch the market philosphies under Reagan and Bush I, Clinton bought on and Bush II turned a blind eye to warnings brought to his attention.

Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc,

Posted by: delantero | March 5, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

----------

Did you mean the minimum DP salary, not "non-DP"

fischy,
i meant to say that Nifuko's salary of $550k is the new maximum non-DP...not $375k anymore. It may be $450k plus they'll be giving him 100k for sounder's advertising or something like that. Anyway, the point is that when summer comes around Nifuko's salary wont be DP.

Posted by: alespar415 | March 6, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse