Friday kickaround

*USA midfielder-forward Clint Dempsey has returned from a knee injury, playing about 30 minutes in Fulham's 3-1 Europa League loss at Juventus on Thursday. Meantime, forward Charlie Davies, badly injured in a car wreck in October, says he is getting closer to a return. "I'm starting to dribble and trying to get the movements back. By the end of next week, I'll think I'll be pretty confident to end up joining the team again in training."

*Would an MLS strike allow Landon Donovan to return to England?

*USA Coach Bob Bradley remained in Europe following the Netherlands friendly and is spending the next couple weeks attending matches and meeting with players. His whereabouts this weekend were not disclosed, but I am guessing he will turn up at locations in England (or Scotland). How about Everton (Donovan, Howard) at Birmingham on Saturday and either Fulham (Dempsey) at Manchester United or Dundee at Rangers (Edu, Beasley) on Sunday?

*In a Northwest preseason derby, the second-division Portland Timbers defeated MLS's Seattle Sounders, 1-0, before 18,000-plus at Qwest Field. "Very disappointing," Seattle keeper Kasey Keller said.

*The seventh annual Carolina Challenge Cup gets underway Saturday in Charleston, S.C., with D.C. United playing Real Salt Lake at 5 p.m., and the third-division Battery hosting Toronto at 7:15.

*University of Virginia assistant Mike McGinty, a former goalkeeper for D.C. United and in USL, was named head coach at Saint Louis University. He replaced Dan Donigan, who moved to Rutgers.

By Steve Goff  |  March 12, 2010; 9:42 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , College Soccer , D.C. United , England , MLS , Scotland , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV listings
Next: U.S. World Cup roster countdown

Comments

I understand Bob has a tough role, choosing what games to see and such. But I'd rather he be in France watching Bocanegra , I think all of the guys in England are pretty certain commodities, time to branch out a bit.

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | March 12, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Bradley will make many stops during his stay in Europe

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 12, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I agree with LovetheGoffer. No reason to stay in England. Bradley should go to Scotland, Denmark, France, Sweden, and Greece.

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | March 12, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

since Landon is on loan and playing under his MLS contract, i would think he would have to not play for Everton either if the MLS players were on strike.

Posted by: joe_hill | March 12, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he can go see flavor-of-the-month Danny Williams.

Posted by: Reignking | March 12, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Bradley will make many stops during his stay in Europe
Posted by: Steve Goff
===========

Especially if he's flying British Airways (sorry for bringing up another strike).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 12, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

In years past, were any of the Carolina Challenge Cup matches streamed on the web?

Posted by: tcbannon | March 12, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I understand Bradley will make many stops, I just he should know by now what to expect out of his guys in England.

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | March 12, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Today in history... (thank you, Wikipedia daily e-mail):

Andrew Watson made his debut with the Scotland national football team
and became the world's first black international football player.

Posted by: Dynaformer | March 12, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

He can go to Greece and see how to really strike.

Posted by: Reignking | March 12, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@tcbannon, I'm pretty sure Toronto will be streaming the matches on their website like they did last year... AT least every match that TFC is in. Last year I think every match had a live feed except for the Final match because Toronto crew packed up and left after their match.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 12, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm excited about Onyewu, Davies, and Dempsey in more ways than one. We've been on a roller coaster, and it might be that our roller coaster is about to scale the heights just at the right time.

Or we could just be really unpredictable.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 12, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Deuce!

I prefer that Bradley move furtively between secret, undisclosed locations.

Posted by: Modibo | March 12, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Of course, there's always Germany. Proud papa Bradley could watch his son on Saturday -- or head to Hanover in hopes of seeing Cherundolo and Clark match up. And the 'Scandinavian' Leagues get going on Sunday....He could watch Bedoya, but if it were me, I'd want to go to Manchester and scout Rooney, Scholes, et al., as well as checking out how Fulham use Dempsey (gotta be something there, since he plays so much better for them).

@tcbannon -- Last year's Cup matches were streamed. At least one was, that I saw. Can't recall if all of them were...

Donigan...McGinty...I'm seeing a theme there.

Posted by: fischy | March 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

OT.

This book looks promising.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 12, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 12, 2010 10:19 AM
******
Why not just shoot an arrow through my heart!

Actually the good news is that I will get over for the Liverpool match, I just may not get back home as scheduled. An extra day in London, what *will* I do?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 12, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

The Sounders would have won but those strike placards they were carrying slowed them down.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 12, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Is the dcu game on anywhere?

Posted by: pmk000 | March 12, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Donovan's loan has to be extended before the present loan expires, otherwise he cannot rejoin Everton until the next transfer window opens

Posted by: congguy | March 12, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: congguy | March 12, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Again, any games streamed by the TFC crew will be available here:
At least the games Toronto plays in should be there. I.E.:DCU/Toronto on Wednesday. Sounds like Szetela is shooting to play in that match...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 12, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF, that doesn't sound like a legal site.

Posted by: Reignking | March 12, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@LovetheGoffer

He might be scouting other teams in England to assess the Brits, Slovenians, and Algerians in Europe also. I think his roster for the US is probably pretty set in his mind for the most part.

Posted by: no_recess | March 12, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Here's an interesting tidbit to "kickaround": Alessandro Nesta has a torn tendon in his knee (ironic?) -- probably headed for surgery. I think AC Milan should demand compensation from itself for this injury. Question is: Does this open up a slot for Gooch, or did he look too shaky in preseason to trust him with the league title at stake?

Posted by: fischy | March 12, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: congguy | March 12, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

------------------------

Nevermind the transfer window - if Donovan continues to play in Everton, he'd be a 'scab,' crossing the picket line. The contract, under which he was loaned to Everton, is with MLS.

If the MLS Players strike, Landycakes certainly has a dilemma: undermine his fellow members of MLSPU and continue his strong performance in Liverpool hoping for a follow on contract in the summer transfer window OR return to the states and not play competitive soccer (well, I suppose he could sign on with an NASL or USL team, right? And I suppose they could subsequently loan him to Everton...hmmm).

Posted by: combedge | March 12, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks DadRyan / fischy - we have to get our DCU fix while it is still available.

Posted by: tcbannon | March 12, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

If MLS goes on strike, Donovan should be on strike.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 12, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

About the strike: I think thatjdjfohoehnldje ohf asdhZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 12, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: congguy | March 12, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

------------------------

Posted by: combedge

i dont think he can do anything you just said. especially not the last part.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 12, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

i dont think he can do anything you just said. especially not the last part.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 12, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

--------------------

Wait, what? You don't think he can return to the states and not play competitive soccer? And why wouldn't he be able to cross the picket line and continue to play.

You might be right about not being able to play for another team...I suppose that would jeopardize your current contract (under which you'd be striking).

Posted by: combedge | March 12, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan is right. Last year TFC streamed all matches but the last one, whne they packed up. Won't matter to me, cause I'll be there :)

Bout to watch The Damned United. Yall enjoy.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 12, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Carlisle reports on espn.com:

"On Thursday, the players moved a step closer to proving their point, with multiple sources indicating that they voted 383-2 to go on strike if a new collective bargaining agreement between the union and MLS has not been agreed upon by 12:01 a.m. ET on March 23."

So, do you think that Donovan was one of the two dissenting voters?

Posted by: combedge | March 12, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

When asked about Donovan, Garber said, "Getting Landon signed to a long-term contract and renegotiating while there was still two years left was important for Landon and it was important for Major League Soccer to lock up, in essence, arguably the best American player of our generation. It’s an important achievement and speaks to our long-term commitment. Certainly when you sign a four-year contract at several million dollars a year the expectation is that you’re going to play for the team that signed you." I would add - Unless your last name is Beckham...

Posted by: soccerman | March 12, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

i dont think he can do anything you just said. especially not the last part.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 12, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

--------------------

Posted by: combedge | March 12, 2010 1:23 PM

yes, he can come back and not play. pretty sure @congguy was right that the current loan has to be extended by Everton/MLS beyond the 10 weeks, or else he has to come home. the expiring loan is a different issue than crossing the picket line.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 12, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

So, I guess we can watch Wednesday's match against TFC.

If you need a fix in the meantime, there's a barely watchable fan video from the Santos Laguna game on the BTB site -- ends with Pontius' goal.

Posted by: fischy | March 12, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

If you're interested in reading about the local impact of the SA World Cup, the NY Times has an unsettling article. Good read.

Posted by: fischy | March 12, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

So, do you think that Donovan was one of the two dissenting voters?

Posted by: combedge
===========================================

No, because the MLS Union has no provision for casting absentee ballots.

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 12, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why one would even speculate that Donovan would have voted against a strike. Why would he? Because he's making more money than everyone else (except Becks)? I guess he could be that selfish, but not sure why anyone would have any insight there. If you're thinking about his wanting to continue @ Everton, that would only give him a reason to hope for a strike.

Posted by: fischy | March 12, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

From fischy's NYT article:
“And what will we have after the World Cup is played? There’s no team to occupy the stadium. It will be a white elephant."

--Nelspruit United! Bump bump, bump-bump-bump-bump.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 12, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerman |
I didn't know we could use bold type. When will we be able to strike through our mistaken posts?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 12, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@ Posted by: soccerman
Now wait just a cottin-pickin second. How did you bold that? I typed my last post in Word then copy and pasted but all I got was the vanilla type?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 12, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Woops! Both my previous posts should start @ soccerman. Maybe I need to take a nap.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 12, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

this is a test.

Looks like you can use HTML bold and italic tags in combination...I already knew about the italic tags though.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 12, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Bet my brother is rather excited his Portland team whooped up on Mr. Price Is Right's team.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 12, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

...and Landon starts the day on the bench. Moyes must be saving him for next week. ;-)

Posted by: glfrazier | March 13, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I know where you can watch today's game vs. Real Salt lake

Posted by: zizou1972 | March 13, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse