March madness for World Cup-bound teams

With the only international fixture window of the spring this week, every World Cup-bound team, except Chile and Paraguay, is in action:

Tuesday
Brazil vs. Ireland at Emirates in London (3 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel)

Wednesday
USA vs. Netherlands at Amsterdam Arena (2:30, ESPN2, Galavision)
Argentina vs. Germany in Munich (2:45, GolTV)
England vs. Egypt at Wembley (3, Fox Soccer Plus)
Spain vs. France in Saint-Denis (3, ESPN Deportes)
Italy vs. Cameroon in Monte Carlo (4:45, GolTV Premiere)
Switzerland vs. Uruguay in St. Gall (5, ESPN Deportes)
Mexico vs. New Zealand at Rose Bowl (11, Telemundo, mun2)

Honduras vs. Turkey in Istanbul
Nigeria vs. Congo DR in Lagos
Slovakia vs. Norway in Zilina
Australia vs. Indonesia in Brisbane
Japan vs. Bahrain in Nagoya
Saturday
North Korea vs. Venezuela in Puerto la Cruz

Meantime, in the aftermath of the earthquake, Chile has canceled two proposed friendlies next week.

By Steve Goff  |  March 1, 2010; 11:17 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday kickaround
Next: Zidane, D.C. United, USA women, World Cup

Comments

Saturday
North Korea vs. Venezuela in Puerto la Cruz
===========

Great. In addition to scoring a few goals, Venezuela will also score a few Taepo Dong III ballistic missiles.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 1, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

GolTV actually has a good friendly scheduled? They usually get matches like Ghana-Bosnia.

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Who gets ESPN Deportes? How annoying is that.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 1, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

US women up 1:0 late

"perfectly weighted through ball from Noguiera put Cheney through"

more Pia ball

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Who gets ESPN Deportes? How annoying is that.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 1, 2010 11:31 AM
---------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if you're joking. I get ESPN Deportes. Verizon FiOs.

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

cheney scored her second. we're through to the final of the PRESTIGIOUS algarve cup!

Posted by: troy6 | March 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

man, I wish this week were spring already

Posted by: joe_hill | March 1, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Be strong Chile! The world is behind you and ready to help.

Posted by: member8 | March 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know why Ireland vs. Egypt is being played in England?

Posted by: KireDCU | March 1, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

That's England v Egypt, KireDCU.

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Which local watering holes are likely to have all or most of these games on simultaneously, on screens that are visible from a single seat? On the last such occasion, the afternoon when Ireland-France and all those other matches were played, the Chinatown Fado did a pretty good job.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 1, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Good for you, fischy. It's not covered in the basic package, or the FSC-Gol TV package either. That's why I'm annoyed.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 1, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why USA-Netherlands is being played in Holland?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I must correct you.... Paraguay do play on 3 March.... against the powerful club Atletco Bilbao.... we only play the best.

Posted by: gattipost | March 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gattipost | March 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

And will anyone there speak Flemish? Does that mean they're from Flemland? Do they speak Flandish? And is NED Flanders just a coincidence? Orange you glad I'm asking? Will we lop off their heads?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 1, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Cheney's second on a give-n-go from Lindsey.

Former Freedom player Lori Lindsey. The 90 minute national team midfielder. Arrrgh.

I miss the "Troy Report" from Algarve.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why Ireland vs. Egypt is being played in England?

Posted by: KireDCU | March 1, 2010 11:57 AM

$$$$

Plenty of Ireland fans/ex-pats/heritage in London. I went to Ireland-Jamaica at The Valley a few years back.

Seeing more neutral site matches for national teams in Europe these days, easy for the European based players to stay closer to home while in intl duty.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 1, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

And yeah, Kire probably meant to write "Brazil-Ireland"

Posted by: Kev29 | March 1, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I miss the "Troy Report" from Algarve.

Posted by: OWNTF
----------------
not half as much as I do, pal! but many thanks nonetheless. :-)

Posted by: troy6 | March 1, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

@fallschurch1,

Game's in Amsterdam not Holland. Duh.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 1, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I miss those days I lived in Holland.

I refer to them as my Hollandaise.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 1, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@fallschurch1 & @benonthehill

seriously?
me thinks you both failed 2nd grade geography

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | March 1, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Gimme some DCU News and Notes... Isz Danny Szetela back in DC?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 1, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor: Get off the sauce.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

thanks Reignking. gotta love ESPN deeming Landon the #50th best player at the WC, especially since he has more caps than anyone else on the list, more goals than all but a handful, is a veteran of 2 WCs, and is only 27.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 1, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Switzerland vs. Uruguay in St. Gall (5, ESPN Deportes)

I think you meant to type "St. Gallen" there, Steve. The Swiss town is named after QPR legend and appropriately canonized, Kevin Gallen :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | March 1, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why USA-Netherlands is being played in Holland?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 1, 2010 12:12 PM
----------------------------------------------------------

It's too easy a set-up so I urge one and all to please refrain from offering the kind of oblique Beasley-drugs references that populate SBI threads.

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@dcunited says Castillo is called up ... hooray for pointless friendlies

Posted by: inzzo79 | March 1, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

There's no plates like chrome for the Hollandaise

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

United Demon - I have what I think of as the FSC/Gol package ("extreme sports HD" or something like that) on Fios and I get ESPN Deportes the last time I checked (somewhere in the 1500's, I think). Maybe there is more than one HD Sports package...

Posted by: assocfoot | March 1, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@bonghits4gomez,

I never claim to be particularly funny, but I'll try to make my attempts at humor MORE obvious next time.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 1, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Dare I ask what Fox SOCCER Channel is showing at 2:30 on Wednesday? Can't they voice over the world feed of Slovenia-Qatar game or something? Or do they just go to a test pattern for two hours while everyone else watches other games?

Posted by: IamAM | March 1, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Dare I ask what Fox SOCCER Channel is showing at 2:30 on Wednesday?

Posted by: IamAM | March 1, 2010 3:36 PM

They're running a Serie A repeat. Poor form, FSC not making their constituents very happy this week - even as they're doubling their coverage!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 1, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse