Beckham, USA, Mexico, Hiddink, North Korea

*Galaxy Coach Bruce Arena has issued a statement concerning David Beckham, who underwent surgery on his Achilles' tendon injury today in Finland and will miss England's World Cup campaign:

Injuries are an unfortunate part of our game and they are even more disappointing when they happen to a player who was so close to realizing his dream of representing his nation at this summer's World Cup. We will give David our complete support to make sure that he is able to get himself back to full health before he returns to the field. David remains an important player for the Galaxy and we look forward to welcoming him back to the club and assisting him in his recovery.

*A week before the Americans' World Cup opener against England, the United States will play Australia on June 5 at a venue near Johannesburg. Negotiations were completed in recent days. Live TV coverage in both countries is expected.

*While MLS gears for a possible strike, the league's marketing arm, SUM, is cashing in on its promotion of the Mexican national team: More than 55,000 tickets have been sold for the Mexico-Iceland friendly on March 24 in Charlotte.

*Guus Hiddink takes over in Turkey.

*North Korean workers are helping South Africa prepare for the World Cup.

By Steve Goff  |  March 15, 2010; 2:39 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Beckham , MLS , Mexico , World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Higuain's hat trick
Next: Beckham out until probably September

Comments

Guus Hiddink would have been a great coach for the USA.

Interesting choice for a warm-up game. Australia and the USA could theoretically meet in the Round of 16. Which country has more players in the top European leagues these days?

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | March 15, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff, I know it is a bit off topic but I am trying to figure out my Champions League viewing for tomorrow. Usually a local network airs a game on Tuesdays. As of now, CSN shows it is going to have paid programing on instead of the game. The Chelsea Inter game won't be on FSC till 6. I am trying to figure a way to watch that game live. Is it going to be on CSN, or should I plan on going to a local watering hole to enjoy the game? I know you always put TV options up, but if you could do it early that would be amazing. I have to plan my day accordingly. Thanks!

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 15, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Memo to self: dinner, June 5, Outback Steakhouse.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 15, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Wow, grubbsbl is right. Comcast Sportsy Net has no game listed between 2-5, intead has dreck listed.

The other regional sports nets all list the game, many in hi-def. I get those, so can DVR, I hope.

Strange move from CSN-MA?

Posted by: JkR- | March 15, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hiddink is planning how to use his Turkey leftovers.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 15, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

JkR... you probably have direct TV don't you? I also spend time in Flagstaff, AZ and my local sports channel (FSN) listed that they had the game. Of coarse, I am back in DC and I can't find the game on my cable tv live. Bummer

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 15, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing that the Aussies like more than to see England lose at anything-so if they can't beat them themselves, helping us do so is the next best thing...

Posted by: targetmedia | March 15, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Hiddink is planning how to use his Turkey leftovers.
Posted by: fallschurch1
============

My memory for useless bits of data has no bounds.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 15, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Yes, grubbsbl, I pay for the Sports Pack on DirecTv, and should have access to the game in Hi-Def.

Of course, I'll probably stream it anyway, live.

At any rate, I can't see why CSN-MA is bagging on the game, unless their guide is simply wrong.

Posted by: JkR- | March 15, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the guide is incorrect. It is not that I mind going to Fado's, it is just that I am on my way to that part of DC right now. Getting my girlfriend up to go into the city two days in a row is also always a challenge.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 15, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

So, per AC Milan's head honcho, the US Soccer Fed should pay them for Gooch's injury.

Does this mean that AC Milan should reimburse England and MLS for Beckham?

Posted by: delantero | March 15, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if CSN Mid-Atlantic were scared off by the 3:45 kickoff for the Champs League tomorrow (since European clocks haven't sprung forward yet)? That would throw off their Washington Post Live, Redskins show, SportsNite, Caps pregame routine. Sorry, don't shoot the messenger.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 15, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Bedoya 90 today in a 2-0 win

Posted by: Reignking | March 15, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Well that's interesting news on CSN dropping the ball and dissing ol' DR tomorrow. The bright side is that I'm actually going to be in
DC delivering them Edible Arrangements by bicycle, and with any luck maybe I'll finish up in time to slither over to the Lucky Bar and catch a little Champions League. Maybe I'll see you there grubs????

Posted by: DadRyan | March 15, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse