Hartman to Dallas

Following up on our exclusive report this morning.....

Veteran goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, who was left without a club after he and Kansas City parted ways, has been acquired by FC Dallas. Hartman, 35, joined FCD over the weekend and is scheduled to undergo a physical today, I'm told.

Under an MLS rule that is at the center of the collective bargaining agreement talks, Dallas had to acquire his rights even though Hartman is no longer a member of the Wizards. I am awaiting trade details. Expect a formal announcement in the next couple days.

Hartman, who played 10 seasons for Los Angeles before moving to Kansas City, is MLS's all-time leader in saves, shutouts (84) and victories (146), and is seventh in goals against average (1.24).

The other keepers on Dallas's preseason roster are Dario Sala, Josh Lambo and Sean Kelley. Sala, 35, made 14 league starts last year. Lambo, 19, has yet to play in a league match in two seasons. Kelley is a rookie from George Mason University.

By Steve Goff  |  March 8, 2010; 1:40 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United roster updates
Next: MLS, USA women, Freedom and Terps updates

Comments

So, does this make Hartman a scab? Does this hurt the MLSPA?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 8, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I thought Sala seemed like a serviceable enough keeper, but apparently Dallas didn't.

Posted by: PEddy | March 8, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

So, does this make Hartman a scab? Does this hurt the MLSPA?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 8, 2010 1:52 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh??? No more a scab than any other player who has signed a contract. As for Dallas having to trade for his rights, that just proves the players' point. There were teams that wanted him at a fair price, but he had to sit while the "extra compensation" was worked out to pay off a team that had let him go. On the other hand, it does take away the union's "poster child" for everything that's wrong about the current rules.

Posted by: fischy | March 8, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Michelle would need to lean down to whisper in Sunil's ear . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 8, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

photo 4 of 7

Posted by: OWNTF | March 8, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Sala is serviceable, but not as good as Hartman. Sala usually has at least one bone-headed move per game, too. I think FCDallas may finally compete this year. That US Open Cup trophy is getting old and dusty.

Posted by: CPTSabre | March 8, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Hartman - 35
Sala - 35
Hislop - 38
Nice to see that FC Dallas is not discriminating based on age.

Michelle doesn't have to whisper to Sunil. She has people to do that for her.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 8, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Sala is an excellent keeper, but he's clearly lost a step. Good for Sick Boy Hartman, good for Dallas.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 8, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I can't forget when Sala went nuts after a playoff game a few years ago...

Posted by: Reignking | March 8, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The "other considerations" that have had to be traded to get a player's rights have historically been things like a supplemental draft pick, which is absolutely the equivalent of a bag of balls. That being the case, what concrete hard information do we have that indicates that Hartman was having trouble moving to another team because of what KC sought for his rights in trade? How do we know that it wasn't simply because no one wanted to pay Hartman as much as Hartman wanted, so no teams were contacting KC to make a deal? After all, when it came out that Hartman was being let go, I wondered where he could possibly end up: the League was full of opportunities for backups, but short of opportunities for starting keepers.

When the salary list comes out (in May?), it'll be interesting to see how Hartman this year compares to Hartman last year.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 8, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@ Godfather_of_Goals
Ha Ha Ha. He does look like Sick Boy. The old Defender, Morrow, looked kinda like Spud, now all they need is a Begby (who can be their enforcer).

Posted by: mbyrd28 | March 8, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Valencia - Racing on now...some good players out there.

Posted by: Reignking | March 8, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The run for the oranges?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Oranges and lemons, say the bells of St. Clement's...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 8, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | March 8, 2010 2:02 PM
__________________________________________

I gather that Scurry intends to give it a go again, despite her odyssey from #1 to #4 on the depth chart over the course of last season.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 8, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Any word about LD staying with Everton? I think with the chaos of the MLS and LD playing so well in Everton. I hope he stays with the toffees

Posted by: Bigmon411 | March 8, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@fischy,

Yeah - I know he's not really a scab. I just find it funny that he's working out a deal right now instead of "taking one for the team" by sitting aside and allowing the MLSPA to argue that he's the top notch example of a veteran without a team but still chained down to that team.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 8, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigmon411

I'm pretty sure if there were any "word", it would be well-known.

Posted by: Reignking | March 8, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm kind of surprised that people don't have worse things to say about Sala. Worst starting keeper in MLS, and has been for awhile. Even when we had Wells and Crayton, I thought we were sitting one spot off the bottom. He's got slow reflexes, makes poor decisions, and tops it off with being totally classless (first half time wasting, playacting, and generally acting just how he looks, which is like a silent movie villain minus the curly mustache).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 8, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Chest, you are making an assumption that people have watched Dallas.

Posted by: Reignking | March 8, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Dario "Snidely Whiplash" Sala

Posted by: OWNTF | March 8, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Pia called Lilly (age 38) into camp. If she makes the next roster, she will have played for the WNT in 4 different decades.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 8, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Liverpool look just terrible.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 8, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

RK wit da Zinga!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 8, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Lilly? I wonder if it's a farewell thing. I can't imagine her being on the WWC11 roster. OK, I can, but I'll have to gouge out my mind's eye.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 8, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse