Holden sidelined with leg injury

USA midfielder Stuart Holden has a fracture in his right leg and will be sidelined around six weeks, according to reports in Europe. Holden was injured on a challenge by Nigel de Jong midway through the first half of the 2-1 loss at the Netherlands on Wednesday.

On a six-week timetable, he would return to Bolton for the final three Premier League matches in late April and early May. World Cup training camp begins May 16.

"I had no evil intent," de Jong said. "If the ball is between me and the opponent, you have to go in full. If you do not, then the opponent takes you. And if you're scared in a game, you get injured yourself."

Holden joins Oguchi Onyewu, Clint Dempsey, Charlie Davies and Steve Cherundolo on the USA injury-rehab list.

By Steve Goff  |  March 4, 2010; 9:33 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Netherlands , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Algeria stumbles at home
Next: Video: Chicharito's goal for Mexico

Comments

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | March 4, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

""de Jong said. "If the ball is between me and the opponent, you have to go in full.""

Yeah, sure, with your cleats up and your ankle locked. Thug! Can't believe the ref didn't toss him.

Get well soon, Stu!

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Horrible news for Holden.

Did De Jong even get cautioned? I've seen similar tackles get imediately sent off!

Posted by: tphasbdp | March 4, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

ESPN's coverage didn't show him getting his yellow card. They were too busy showing replays.

Bolton's manager apparently still wants to extend his loan. Hopefully Stuey can heal up and get back soon.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Yes, he got a yellow. They showed it in an overlay (not the actual ref showing the card).

I really didn't think the hit was that bad. And I saw him walk off with some help, so I thought he was ok.

Posted by: Reignking | March 4, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Well, he wasn't, he has a fractured leg and will be out for six weeks, it bears repeating.

So, de Jong, your reason for going all in on that challenge was that you were afraid of getting hurt yourself? Yeah, that makes it ALL seem better. What a freaking scum bag.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 4, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear about Holden.

I was really annoyed by the whistles I could hear coming from crowd when he was down. Low class. It seemed pretty clear that it was not a dive.

Posted by: footiefan101 | March 4, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

de Jong is de Jerk.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

While the men were busy giving the ball away and helping the Netherlands, the women were busy winning the prestigious Algarve Cup with a 3-2 win over Germany.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Nigel but you should have been tossed. That was a late studs up challenge and you claim you did not mean to hurt anyone. Clark got thrown out for less in the Confederations Cup. Going in full does not mean that you have to slide tackle. He was beat to the ball fair and square. It's too bad his challenge wasn't fair. He owes Holden an apology.

Posted by: no_recess | March 4, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

we've seen Pablo, Bradley and Clark commit far less reckless challenges over the years and be tossed. the ref blew this one. no room for that crap in a friendly. i hope Holden can make it back in time for SA.

Posted by: VTUnited | March 4, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

de Jong is a punk. He can dish it out but can't take it! In the 2nd half, the ref called a foul when de Jong clearly dived after Beaseley didn't even touch the guy. He dived as if someone shot him in the back.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | March 4, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that could have been a Red. But, that ref seemed to be on another planet half the time. The call against beasely when de Jerk flopped in the second half - stopping a one-v-one with the keeper - was just laughable. But, that's the kind of reffing the US is going to get in the World Cup, especially against England. The bias in favor of big soccer countries is just sickening.

Holden could be back for the WC, though. But, really, he didn't show much.

Posted by: hacksaw | March 4, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Hacksaw, your an ignorant fool, congratulations you are qualified to announce soccer games in the US. There is no bias against the US in international matches. The Turkish referee yesterday doesn't have a bias and neither will the referees in the World Cup. But you and plenty of other fans will still be ignorant and perceive one while you are prodded on by the ignorant US observers that are given a microphone.

Posted by: csd1 | March 4, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

csd1, welcome. But I don't think you know what you're talking about. If you have seen the challenges that have warranted yellows and reds in previous tournaments, compared to the challenge we saw against Holden, you would quickly dispel your blustering tone.

Lebron James gets two extra steps toward the basket, and the top teams get more protection and respect on both sides of the whistle. It's just how it works.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 4, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

then enlighten us csd1 why is it that when an american player puts in anything resembling a studs up tackle the refs never seem to miss it? just look at the con fed cup this summer de jongs tackle was worse than any of the tackles that we got red carded for. thats the part that frustrates me the most. i realize the refs probably are not purposely biased but its not hard to see that they protect bigger name players they even do it in the EPL they way they give drogba, and gerrard calls every time they get touched.

Posted by: pino149 | March 4, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I'll say it again: I bet that ref is having a hell of a day in the red light and in the coffee shops in Amsterdam was we speak. Shopping Spree!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: csd1

If not bias, then plenty of questionable, game changing calls, Mr. CSD1. Even this ignorant U.S. fan can see that.

Gooch against Ghana. Pope, Mastroeni, Clark, Bradley . . the list goes on.

The only break we got yesterday was the non-call on Bornstein's bonehead boink on the ball in the box.

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

Holden is not on loan. His MLS contract expired, he moved to Bolton on a free transfer. It's just a short term contract.

@ DeJong
Studs up, mid shin? That was a butcher job, a leg-breaker tackle (as the results showed). Do that in the first game of the World Cup you won't see the field for the rest of the tournament.

Posted by: teo_68 | March 4, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@ ReignKing

I saw 3 angles and 2 of then didn't look so bad, but the third (from the side of the incident) showed how absolutely bad it was, DeJong went into Holden mid-shin with his studs...very bad, I think it's lucky Holden didn't get a compound fracture.

Posted by: teo_68 | March 4, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Excuse me but what a jackass! "...And if you're scared in a game, you get injured yourself."

Next time we want a lesson on how to get injured we will call him. Maybe someone should give him a lesson on how not to go in studs up. Ugh, what a jackass.

The ref needs a lesson on how to pull out a red card from his pocket.

Posted by: kris77 | March 4, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, couldn't believe that de Jong flop at the 18 in the 2nd half when Beas would have been alone on goal (to sky it over the bar, of course!). The fact that the ref bailed him out with that awful acting job is just exhibit #18.

Schneijder (j in the right place? I dunno) is a hugely skillful player, but his whining was Mexican level. See the first half when Torres planted a foot near him and he jumped up, rolled, and hollered like his nuts were cut off.

I was also disappointed as the Dutch fans whistling Holden. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were whistling de Jong's tackle, but that's a huge stretch.

Watching the game a second time made me less alarmist, but still the Dutch skill was miles beyond ours.

Get well Stuey. :-( All of this pre-WC bad luck, we are bound to get *some* good luck at the tourney.

Posted by: EssEff | March 4, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

De Jong's tackle, in fact most of the game, was great preparation for the World Cup. And I don't mean "intensity." If a player in the other red, white, and blue unform makes that tackle, it's a red card. Plus, if refs get a chance to make a call for a stupid foul in the box for "favorite" teams (Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, etc., they will. And they will not make the same squad for "lesser" teams like the USA.

Posted by: rcdwriting | March 4, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Get used to it. Bad refereeing and one-sided calls will be as much a part of this World Cup as those stupid horns. Why Bradley seems unable to impart these lessons to US players is beyond me."

Wow, quite a leap to turn this into a Bradley bashing opportunity

Posted by: assocfoot | March 4, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

@ ReignKing

Posted by: teo_68

That was certainly the "best" angle. I actually thought he hurt his ankle at first.

Posted by: Reignking | March 4, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

teo, thanks for the reminder. I just lost interest when the rumor mill of exactly where and what was going on with him kept dragging along a while back.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 4, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

No question it was an ugly, ugly tackle. De Jong is lucky there aren't a lot of Yanks in the EPL to show him just how dangerous it was.

@csd -- You couldn't be more wrong. Refs, especially European refs, are predisposed to see Americans as clumsy no-talents and to favor the European-based players they know and read about. I've seen it time and time again. With respect to American talents, those refs are probably right, but it doesn't mean that it's not a bias that is wrongly reflected in their officiating.

That tackle was much worse than either of the red card fouls the USA had in Confederations Cup. I'm guessing the reason the yellow came so late and off-camera was that it wasn't the refs call. I'm betting one of the assistants had to tell him how bad it was. TH=hus, a yellow card, when it deserved a red.

Posted by: fischy | March 4, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

De Jong went in on Holden the same way that wank hit Ramsey in the Arsenal match. He was studs up, leg locked and hit mid shin high. The SOB should have seen red and in my opinion had further suspension added on. Totally reckless. And the fans that were whistling need to be punched in the mouth.

Posted by: dvseawolf | March 4, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree about the poor taste of those fans who were derisively whistling at Holden. I was really aware of the whistles coming down when he waved off the stretcher to try and stand. We're all guilty of it at games, but it should have been obvious that this was not a feigned injury. Maybe the Dutch don't understand that Americans aren't schooled in faking injuries or diving like players are in other countries. We may not be as skilled as other players around the world, but we play the game much more honestly [except maybe Jozy ;)].

Posted by: fischy | March 4, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Stand by my statement and will continue to stand by my statement:

"But you and plenty of other fans will still be ignorant and perceive one while you are prodded on by the ignorant US observers that are given a microphone."

Posted by: csd1 | March 4, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Altidore drew a foul almost every time a Dutch defender was near him with or without contact. He jumped in the air and earned a free kick on the edge of the box toward the end of the game. We had almost no possession in the first 20 minutes and we were chasing them like crazy knocking into them to get the ball. Whenever we had possession for a few seconds and lost it I had to listen to how the referee was screwing us over. In the second half we got more calls when we actually had possession. Landon kicked the ball out in the first half and tried to get a quick throw in and the ref correctly gave possession to Holland. He did that for Everton and instead of the English announcers saying he got screwed they called it a crafty attempt at keeping possession even though he clearly kicked it out. Maybe the US announcers feel that they have to pamper the USMNT fans who feel the World is out to get them. I personally would prefer intellectual fact driven non bias analysis. Thankfully during the World Cup I believe ESPN is bringing in some talented play by play announcers.

Posted by: csd1 | March 4, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@csd -- As for the incident you're referring to with Jozy -- he was jumping to avoid injury from a reckless tackle. Of course, he could have stayed and planted to take the hit on a planted leg, but we saw what happened to Holden when that happens.

Posted by: fischy | March 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@csd1 - here is some "intellectual fact driven non bias[ed] analysis": (am I the only one that sees the irony?) Stuart Holden suffered a fractured leg as a result of a late studs up over-the-ball tackle by De Jong where the bottom of De Jong's foot struck Holden mid-shin while De Jong's ankle was locked. Moreover, De Jong came from an angle where Holden was unable to protect himself. Not only should De Jong have been ejected, he should sit out more games (unfortunately he won't because it was friendly).

The only thing that upset me is that De Jong was able to walk off the field when subbed out later in the match. The lack of respect shown by that tackle ought to have been met in kind.

Posted by: CruyffFan | March 4, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

CruyffFan, that's nice and irrelevant to my comments.

Fischy, the defender never left his feet when he came in for the challenge and appeared to not even touch Altidore. It is irrelevant why Altidore left his feet if the defender didn't touch him. The point is if you were a delusional Dutch fan and it made you feel better you could say the ref was bias against Holland because he clearly called a foul in a dangerous area that was not a foul. Dutch fans tend to understand the game though so they most likely don't blame all of their losses on the bogey man.

Posted by: csd1 | March 4, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

@ assocfoot

"Wow, quite a leap to turn this into a Bradley bashing opportunity"

In fact, Michael Bradley does not get preferential treatment from BB. The coach saves that for Bornstein. If BB's favorite is making the kind of dreadful decion-making evident in his grab in the box,
I think the coach is not preparing his team correctly. We have seen too many reptitions of bad decison-making: red cards, ball-watching, getting stripped of the ball in bad positions, poor passing. I think the coach bears responsibilty for this as well as the players HE selects.

If I were bashing Bradley, I would have asked this question: Why couldn't we sustain the energy we showed in the last few minutes of the game for the entire match? I have seen teams like Panama exert that sustained energy against the US in the past, even though they were going to lose. El Salvador in El Salvador does the same thing, and they did as much as they could with what they had last week.
We didn't do as much as we could with what we've got on Wednesday, and I blame Bradley.

My point about the tackle was that it is not uncommon for bad officiating to affect the game in the WC and that we need to be smarter, especially against teams with superior talent. Holland did not have a single dangerous shot on goal. We could have won, or at least tied that game. The bad bounce? That's life. The bad decision to grab a player in the box who was not really a threat to Howard was bad coaching. Don't forget a US defender NEEDLESSLY pushed a non-threatening player in the game against Honduras for a PK. Is it just chance that defenders are doing this, or does it reflect on their coach, too? I have stated my opinion on this.

Posted by: rcdwriting | March 4, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

@csd1 - My comment not only responds directly to your comments, but it also gives you exactly what you asked for. Commenters were writing about how nasty De Jong's tackle was, how he was only booked, and how US players were given red cards for less reckless tackles during the Confederations Cup. (all of which is fact-based and true). You responded by saying that the ignorant and/or biased US fans simply blame the ref when things don't go their way, that there is no bias against the US team, and requested a fact-based "intellectual" analysis. I responded directly to your request on that very subject and you simply dismissed it. Well done.

Posted by: CruyffFan | March 5, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse