Matchday: United-Wizards

And so we begin a 15th D.C. United season at the same peculiar (and thankfully, temporary) venue where last year's campaign came to a heartbreaking conclusion.

It's a cool, rainy and gusty evening at CommunityAmerica Ballpark, which, by next summer, will again belong solely to the T-Bones minor league baseball team. Construction on the new stadium just east of here is moving along nicely and, after 14 years stuck in cavernous Arrowhead Stadium and this quirky spot in Kansas, the Wizards will have a proper setting.

Side note: Gotta love the Digital Takawira Suite here.

Kickoff: 8:30 p.m. ET.
TV: None in the Washington area. You'll need to find the match on MLS's Direct Kick package on cable and satellite or watch on the league's Web site. I will provide periodic updates on the Insider's Twitter page.

If you're able to watch, your opinions are warmly welcome in our comments section.

Back soon with DCU's lineup and reserves.

Andy Najar, the former academy player who just turned 17 and signed a pro contract last week, is in the starting lineup, manning the right flank. I'm stunned. Kurt Morsink will start at defensive midfield and, with the club short on defensive personnel, Clyde Simms will play right back.

Juan Manuel Pena, who was just cleared to play after finalizing paperwork in Spain, won't be available until next week. Devon McTavish (hamstring) didn't make the trip. Julius James is here despite not practicing much of the week because of illness.

DCU: Perkins; Simms, Talley, Jakovic, Wallace; Najar, Morsink, Quaranta, Castillo; Moreno, Pontius. Subs: Hamid, James, Rice, Barklage, Khumalo, Allsopp, Cristman.

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2010; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Emilio returning to MLS?
Next: D.C. United rewind

Comments

Heh, Jersey Bulls STILL can't fill up their stadium ....

Posted by: Juan-John | March 27, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Rogers apparently trying to play his way out of the World Cup . . crosses to no one, missing open players with clear shots . . . part of Columbus' all around display of inept attacking soccer . . i.e. a 3 on goalkeeper with Adam Moffat choosing to lightly pass/shoot to Frei instead of two wide open teammates for sitters . . . not the greatest show for MLS .. yeah, yeah, I realize it was still 2-0, but yikes.

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else stunned by the number of empty seats at Red Bull Arena tonight? My God, people, it is the very first MLS match at this beautiful new arena and you can't manage a sellout? Can you imagine what a new DCU stadium would look like on opening night??

Posted by: jofij | March 27, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be a long season....

Posted by: alan19 | March 27, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else sign up for the "free trial" on mlssoccer.com and have the full amount charged to their card as well. I am pissed if they keep the charge on there. This new site is not impressing me so far.

Posted by: TurtleBeoulve | March 27, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

FYP @ jofij

"Can you imagine what a new DCU stadium WILL look like on opening night??

Here's the question of the night? Where's the free internet feed for this game?!

Posted by: boda-united | March 27, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

The yellow in the Red Bull logo makes the empty seats even more obvious.

Plus, I love the irony of Harkes and Dellacamera talking about how easy it is to get to the new stadium.

If there is one team in the league (much more so than the Galaxy) that needs a David Beckham-like signing, or better yet a group of MLS galacticos, it's the Red Bulls. Fickle New Yorkers are going to need a superstar to show up on a regular basis. I bet Jay-Z could convince Thierry Henry to move to NY.

Posted by: diego_r | March 27, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Is this Najar kid that good? Sounds promising and why not start him? We know what we get out of Khumalo -- he's a good sub, not a starter.

Posted by: jofij | March 27, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Not surprised at Najar starting, but Simms at RB? Morsink starting? Ugh on both counts.

Posted by: jason1551 | March 27, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

@TurtleBeoulve - I was planning on purchasing it for the season so not a big deal for me, but yes the page for the "free trial" appears to be the normal registration page

Posted by: emanon13 | March 27, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody know a bar in the Fairfax area showing the game? I'm done driving today so won't be making the trip downtown.

Curse FiOS. When will you get DirectKick!!!

Posted by: SoccerVA | March 27, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

It's telling me it's blacked out in charlottesville....wtf?

Posted by: the_slammer | March 27, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Onalfo considered starting Simms at his usual position and plugging Morsink into RB. I've never liked playing stars out of position.

Posted by: chemweapon | March 27, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

If anyone needs it the game is being shown at http://www.atdhe.net/index.html

God bless them.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Watching NY in their new stadium both makes me furious and makes me blue at the same time. It's a beautiful facility. Vamos United! Red-headed stepchildren forever!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

I Was kind of thinking what Simms would be like as a right back; he has, in my opinion, the right tools. Morsink has done a good job in defense, interested to see how it goes.

Also interested to see what Najar has on the countless options we aren't employing.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 27, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Max Bretos is on ESPN now?? I just snorted beer thru my nose...

Posted by: Juan-John | March 27, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

chelsea hung seven on villa? and arsenal drew? I can only hope that all of my luck is being saved up for dcu...

Posted by: troy6 | March 27, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John

that was me first reaction as well. he's not as nauseating as usual though.

Posted by: sockey1 | March 27, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

If anyone needs it the game is being shown at http://www.atdhe.net/index.html

God bless them.

=========================================

Posted by: jermWV | March 27, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

signed up for mlssoccer.com "trial" package, but not working. Just shows mls logo and says to "watch this game live on tv", with some channels listed.

Posted by: sammy41 | March 27, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Not seeing a transmission yet...

Posted by: j01usna | March 27, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

dcu is on comcast 759 (sorry I put 725 earlier).

Posted by: troy6 | March 27, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

NY should have gotten a penalty on that two-armed shove in the box by Chi.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

@Sammy Same here ("Free Trial" AND No game)

Posted by: TurtleBeoulve | March 27, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I will take that Lindpere goal...

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

MLS is such a joke. First kick weekend where its impossible to watch your home team!

Posted by: QuietSide | March 27, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't see the game on the DC/KC link at atdhe.net but the game is on here http://www.justin.tv/rambo_es01#r=Mq50xYU~

God Bless Justin Tv (and channelsurfing.net too)

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe how awful this DCU lineup looks.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Does any know what channel it is being showed on FIOS?

Posted by: no_recess | March 27, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

God these KC announcers and sideline reporters are making my brain hurt.

They are also claiming that we are playing a 3-5-2 with Simms and Morsink at 2 D mids, which makes more sense.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

And we get Erin Andrews doing sideline commentary, not a bad deal.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

channel 989 on RCN

Posted by: wmsiii | March 27, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Perkins 2 saves

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I had forgotten how small the KC field is. Both teams look a little shaky in the early going.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, shouldn't this field and weather help teams fast up top?

Goal Kamara off of a Perkins save...

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

So much for that strength on defense....

Posted by: j01usna | March 27, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

@Poopy_McPoop,

Ha! Had the same thought.

What a craptastic giveaway by Morsink.

And that didn't take long . . .

Posted by: benonthehill | March 27, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Simms didn't really bother to play much defense there (I think it was Simms, my feed is pretty bad). You can't leave anyone all by themselves on the 18.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

We'd be better off with DC's Tony Perkins. At least he could predict the weather.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Who wants the ball? Nobody wearing white, apparently...

Posted by: davemcl | March 27, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Wyrm: not sure. Someone saw Kamara, and started to come back to mark him, but quit when the first shot was made.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Good FK location...where's CGomez when you need him?

Q's kick pretty good! GOAL! NO!!!

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

That was Najar who had the dipping shot earlier...

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

It was a very nice shot by Najar. My feed makes it hard to make out numbers (or my old age) and I wouldn't have know Najar's anyhow :-)

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the justintv link.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 27, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Simms slipping in the box on that last one isn't confidence building...

Posted by: robb10 | March 27, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see who coughed up the ball inside the 18 leading to that goal? The announcers apparently have no idea either. Based on the number I thought it was Najar...

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 27, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I love this guy Lindpere.

How does NYRB find this guy in Estonia, and their new coach in Sweden, and we are pissing away $$$ on Gallardo, who before he came here scratched some guy across the eyes from behind, and since he's left bit a guy's finger. I mean, "doll"? He's not a doll, he's a little b*tch.

And more to the point, why aren't we pulling in more Estonians or Turks or Serbs (like Jakovic) or Russians?

Meanwhile we're starting a high school drop-out from the Academy. I mean, he was All-Met in high school, which is great, but seriously . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 27, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

It was #6 I thought. Does that help?

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Why is this game being blacked-out on the MLS website? It's pretty sad that DC united sends me an email to watch online and I can't. Anyone able to watch online legitimately?

Posted by: jo1234 | March 27, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

KC cheats ;)

Besler certainly offside.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

6 would be Morsink

Yellows to Morsink and Jakovic (both deserved)

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I can watch via MLS website, but I'm in Florida.

Posted by: addick | March 27, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah thought it was him. Morsink = KC mole.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Goff - even your post says the game is online in the DC area. Any official word why it's not?

Posted by: jo1234 | March 27, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks RK.

Wow, KC's mascot is named "Dynamo". A team can dream, I guess.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 27, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Some have suggested trying to change your billing details to get around the blackout, no idea if anyone had any success.

Posted by: addick | March 27, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

simms thing doesn't look good

Posted by: dccal | March 27, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Simms out with a Hammy. Julius James coming in.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

For those who have Comcast digital inside the District, I'm getting a "free preview" feed of the DCU game on Direct Kick on Channel 729. Might work for others in the area, but I can't vouch for other providers.

Posted by: AaronMorrissey | March 27, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

uggh 2-nil to the bad guys. Davy Arnaud

Posted by: rickinashburn | March 27, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

STOP GIVING THE BALL AWAY

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 27, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh c'mon... 3 guys standing around Ryan, no one marking Arnaud? Ugly start to the DC season...

Posted by: robb10 | March 27, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Jesus we look bad. This is going to be a long, long year.

Posted by: jerrinna | March 27, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

the road woes continue

Posted by: fedssocr | March 27, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh God!!! That was just awful. 3 players collapsed onto the ball and the KC player just dished it off for a wide open shot from the 18.

It looks like we have 7 players on the field (and they all suck)

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I seem to be the only one on this blog who has been saying that Perkins is garbage. And I stick by that..The decision to let him go the first time was the right one...

Posted by: alan19 | March 27, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Is it too early to question whether or not it's time to fire coach Onalfo?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

wow... kc up 2-0... dc looking terrible

Posted by: dcurob | March 27, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Why do you name your mascot 'Dynamo' when there is another team in the league CALLED Dynamo? That's like the Redskins naming their mascot 'Cowboy'. Whoever decided that must have also done our defensive signings.

Posted by: daandre3 | March 27, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to be the first one to say Fire Onalfo NOW! I hate this lineup. If Simms was health at the beginning of the game why would you start him at right back. Also James and Jakovic have played together and have chemsitry. Why would you start Talley who has only been with club for a few days? Finally Najar starting over Khumalo or Barklage is also questionable. What an awful start to the season! I hope things get better.

Posted by: no_recess | March 27, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

oflanO eriF

Posted by: VamosUnited1 | March 27, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry no_recess, I beat you by 2 minutes.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I like how excited the KC announcers are about their offense. Remember you're playing against our D. It's called 'false hope'.

Posted by: daandre3 | March 27, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Onalfo finally figured out a way to make the Wiz look like a good team.

Posted by: VamosUnited1 | March 27, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

The game is on 759 in howard county on comcast.

Dc looks wretched and shockingly we are getting killed with speed and a superior mid field from kansas city

Posted by: strago | March 27, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

My indoor co-ed rec team looks better than DCU does.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

What the F***? No yellow for an obvious dangerous play against Talley. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, I think Stott has called 4 fouls all game, and ignored numerous football (american) tackles.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Moreno looks slow and keeps giving the ball away. Did he peak for the Coffee Pot Cup?

Posted by: rickinashburn | March 27, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

daandre....hint, the Dynamo didn't exist 'til a couple seasons ago, the Wiz (and hence probably their mascot) were around first...

Posted by: j01usna | March 27, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Did you see that Quaranta - Smith moment? Is that why Quaranta got the yellow card? Urgh so unnecessary...

Posted by: robb10 | March 27, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

So that was a waste of 45 mins...

The ref looks like a fireman

Posted by: carmines757 | March 27, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Well that was 48 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

@Curious99,

How many days until the start of the '11 season?

Posted by: benonthehill | March 27, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

They deserve RFK.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 27, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Worst DC United team ever.

Posted by: jerrinna | March 27, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Cmon...how many of you jokers could do better?

Posted by: djohnson | March 27, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

This has been embarrassing. I don't think Pontius has touched the ball all half, the defense it pathetic, Tino has already started earning stupid Yellow cards and the MLS refs suck (I can't comment on the offside, since we have no angle for it, but it's like Wrestlemania out there with no calls).

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna go ahead and count myself lucky that I have dinner plans and will miss most of, if not all of, the 2nd half.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

So, I'm not watching the game, out of the country, but can it really be as bad as yall are making it out to be?

At least we have Perkins back there.

Are we trying to play the beautiful game?

Posted by: bigbadbri | March 27, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, what was that, Tino?

Posted by: davemcl | March 27, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

This music really suits my mood.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 27, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Cmon...how many of you jokers could do better?

Posted by: djohnson | March 27, 2010 9:28 PM
-------------

My indoor co-ed rec team looks better than DCU does.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 9:21 PM
--------

and we're not even professionals, heck 1/2 of my team never even played soccer up until 2-3 years ago.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"You can't complain if you can't do better yourself" is one of the most ludicrous statements in sports

Posted by: carmines757 | March 27, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Cmon...how many of you jokers could do better?

Posted by: djohnson

What kind of stupid question is that?

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

At least we have Perkins back there.

Are we trying to play the beautiful game?

-----------------------------------------
It probably isn't as bad as we are making it out to be, but it is pretty ugly. It's hard to tell if we are trying to play the beautiful game because it's raining, the field is tiny, and we are never in possession of the ball.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Let's not pile on Don Johnson too much. He's just upset because he hasn't talked to Tubbs in a long, long time. Heck, he isn't even on speaking terms with Cheech anymore.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 27, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

@j01usna: Don't confuse things with the truth. Considering how hard I've tried to block out the last few years of DCU soccer, I managed to forget a few other things as well...

Posted by: daandre3 | March 27, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

My U8 team had a pretty good practice today and they have all-black kits. So they can play at RFK if necessary.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

not good. not good at all. me thinks this will be rough season.

Posted by: torrey151 | March 27, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

that was painful!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | March 27, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Game is available on the MLS website now in the DC area.

Posted by: jo1234 | March 27, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

El o el at 3 defenders closing down smith and letting him find arnoux overlapping for the goal

Posted by: strago | March 27, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I could do better than half this United squad, but I prefer to play Rugby.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 27, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

here we go!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | March 27, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, the first Australian ever to play in MLS comes in for Najar. Feel the Excitement.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

and the first blowout of the season....

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

ok 3 nothing now and it should be worse. I havent seen United look this bad in a loooooong (think Ray Hudson years) time.

Posted by: rickinashburn | March 27, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

so, why can't Troy hang on to anything tonight? I mean I know it's wet, but this isn't a good sign.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | March 27, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Wicks better hurry up and get healthy...Pathetic...

Posted by: alan19 | March 27, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

MLS new site bites. ESPN has our starting line up as this:

1 Troy Perkins (G)
3 Avery John (D)
5 Dejan Jakovic (D)
10 Christian Gomez (M)
19 Clyde Simms (M)
24 Brandon Barklage (M)
13 Chris Pontius (M)
25 Santino Quaranta (F)
23 David Habarugira (F)
99 Jaime Moreno (F)
17 Boyzz Khumalo

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Anytime there's any pressure on our midfield we turn it over. Dc looks old and slow on defense. Wallace has gotten burned x2 this half already

Posted by: strago | March 27, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Is the FireOnalfo handle taken yet?

He starts Simms at R back, Morskink in the center mid and Najar, a 17 y/o.

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey, at least we have boat loads of money under the cap...SSDT.

Posted by: Kosh2 | March 27, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least they've completed almost half of their backward passes. That's something to build on.

Posted by: VamosUnited1 | March 27, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Perkins is a backboard and KC is taking layups

Posted by: tcbannon | March 27, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

You know who's really looking good now? Peter Vermes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Stat of the night. Shots on goal

KC 10
DC 1

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in. And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

United fans to Onalfo -- "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know."

Onalfo says -- "Oh, uh, there won't be any wins, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

United fans -- "So we got that goin' for us, which is nice."

Posted by: torrey151 | March 27, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

United fans -- "So we got that goin' for us, which is nice."

Posted by: torrey151 | March 27, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

tcbannon: SO well in.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 27, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

@delantero -- Very funny. As amateurish as United has looked, it's nice to know that some so-called major sports media has jumped the shark. Way to go, ESPN!!

This is really is bad. So much for the reports of greatly improved defense. True, the officiating has been atrocius, but the defense is comically bad. Seriously, didn't the learn last year that Simms can't play in the back? Shorthanded in the back? Why not start James or even Rice in the center, and Talley wide. Or Talley in the center and James on the right? I didn't want to have to do this, but I blame Onalfo and his unaccountable love affair with Kurt Morsink...

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

sorry for the double post

Posted by: torrey151 | March 27, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

THey may have three goals, but we're holding all the cards.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

that was a yellow card for jaime?

Posted by: robb10 | March 27, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow. PK on DC b/c of a phantom hand ball off a corner. 4-0.

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

It's official, this D sucks!!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | March 27, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

OK -- watching that PK call. it's clear the ref has money on the Wizards...probably minus 3 goals.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

How can the team compete if they do not want to spend the salary money. The team might as well re-locate to St. Louis or Baltimore if the team is going to be limited by owner's finances as compared to other owners in the league.

Posted by: stephen_james2 | March 27, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey, at least our boring white kits still look, uhh, boring. Tradition!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Can we use the cap money to buy a new coach?

Very very disappointing display - oh well its the first game - good to get the blow-out out of the way early

My expectations are for no more nights like tonight

Vamos United

Posted by: londonboy | March 27, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Good thing we can't sub in a 17 y/o kid for some garbage time!!!

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, I'm looking forward to drinking beer in Lot 8 next Saturday. The game afterward, not sure.

Posted by: tcbannon | March 27, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I think that the handball was incidental, but he at least DID handle the ball. I hope we don't let Stott's ineptitude take away from the lessons that we need to learn from this game.

Although, I'm not sure what learning we suck is actually going to tell us.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Bring back the 'Three Stripes.'

Posted by: RedDevil1 | March 27, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

You know who's really looking good now? Peter Vermes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 9:56 PM
----------------------------------------------------

I did post on blackandredunited.com that Chest was really selling KC short. I think they made some nice pick-ups, especially Nielsen and Smith. Maybe not world-class talents, but better than you see on most MLS rosters.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Jako handled it, but it looked to me like he was being pulled down. Bad break.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 27, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

wait a minute??!!.. we do have a new coach right? sounds like tommy soehn all over again with the crazy lineup and game tactics... sigh...

Posted by: dcurob | March 27, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Free waiver united is looking like a team built on waiver pickups.

Posted by: strago | March 27, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

For instance, if I had to pick between Nielsen and Perkins, I'd take Nielsen. He was playing in a better league last year, and had better numbers. Smith is what DCU might have hoped out of N'Galula, except he's an attacker, and he's not totally washed up.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

It's early days, but thus far I do not see an elite DC United team appearing anytime soon.

Posted by: Kosh2 | March 27, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

"I though Vermes would have taken Jack off already"

The only entertaining moment of this match

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I can't watch this garbage (want to say another, much more vulgar word) anymore. What a year it's going to be......

Posted by: asnoel | March 27, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

This is atrocious. With the players we have, there is absolutely no reason for DC to be getting manhandled by KC. I liked that comment earlier about backpassing- the team is terrified to take a shot. Nobody knows what the hell to do, and they're playing as if they're on an EPL field- smacking the ball as far as they can.

Posted by: Sunspot | March 27, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

The thing that leaves us with some hope is that this was an idiotic lineup that we won't see again.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I blame myself. I'd been fooled by solid defensive performances in preseason, and Moreno's deft preseason touch. I take myself back to my posts 3 weeks ago, proclaiming doom because the team was combing the waiver wire to fill important roster spots.....

We stink.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Almost as bad as Aston Villa, which lost, what, 7-1 today?

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Free Waiver United, how accurate. I think it will stick so we can shame management into doing what's gotta be done.

Posted by: Kosh2 | March 27, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I blame it on Perkins' green kit: jersey and shorts. Awful.

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

? ...

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | March 27, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Free Waiver United is more pleasant than what I was thinking... Decomposing Carcass United :-(

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

bring back the three stripes and get rid of the word "tradition" on the back of the jerseys.. the top stripe could be made of stars (think the three stars on dc's flag) if the adidas stripes is an issue and swap back on "dc united" for "tradition"

Posted by: dcurob | March 27, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey wasn't there a song " I , I who have nothing" any one know the words?

Posted by: londonboy | March 27, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

thank God its over!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | March 27, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

4-0. Thankfully it wasn't on TV, so the casual fan didn't see it.

Positives: James didn't suck
Negatives: Everything else.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Just wait to we get healthy!

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Did the announcer say a sell-out crowd of 10,385? I think that's 9,001 more than they had at Dallas.....

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I think they should move DC United into Pizza-Hut Park. That way no one would notice the stink....

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

They deserve RFK.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals

Rather, they deserve Baltimore.

Posted by: daandre3 | March 27, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Whew DC hit with another Blizzard (oops!!!)
wizard

Posted by: londonboy | March 27, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

i know the uniforms had nothing to do with what was on the field but it just seems like dcu and the fo have been making bone headed decisions ever since the drastic change of dc's kits...

Posted by: dcurob | March 27, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcurob | March 27, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be a long year. Thank God the MLS doesn't relegate.

Posted by: section108 | March 27, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

As a United and Villa fan, my teams went down by a combined 11-1 today. But at least the Villans showed signs of life early. I will now proceed to lobotomize myself to attempt to remove this day from the memory banks.

Posted by: daandre3 | March 27, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

7 days until United's first match.

Posted by: Curious99 | March 27, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Good News - we may not be bottom of the league - SJ are getting beat 3-0 - go RSL

Posted by: londonboy | March 27, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Poll:

Who's better:

Real Maryland

DC United

Washington Freedom

I look forward to your responses.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcurob | March 27, 2010 10:33 PM

Also a coincidence, the team had stunk since Fenty quashed Poplar Point...

Posted by: Kev29 | March 27, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

7 days until United's first match.

Posted by: Curious99

I can't wait for the season to start!

Posted by: daandre3 | March 27, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Poor Dave Johnson. The Wizards lost their 15th in a row tonight and he must be seeing the DCU box score while doing the SJ/RSL game. At least his paychecks are nice.

At least the Caps are good. Rock the Red!!

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

So, pretty much 4s with a 5 or two for the player ratings?

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had more hands so I can give them four thumbs down

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 27, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

No mid-field. No support for the forwards. No # 10, no shots on mark.Too mush holding the ball. Even the defense and Perkins look bad.
It is going to be a VERY long dull season.

Posted by: lemovs1 | March 27, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping to see a line up more like this asap:

Perkins
Namoff-Pena-Jakovic-Wallace
Simms-Morsink(Barklage?)
Quaranta-Castillo
Moreno
Pontius(Alsopp)

Not the best in the world by far, but Quaranta needs to be on the wing- play to his strengths. DC hopefully gets a destroyer/distributor to compliment Simms (he's hopefully okay), but Morsink is all we've got in the DM area for now. Barklage might be able to take the central midfield spot vacated by Olsen last year. Either Pontius or Alsopp need to take some frickin shots to at least make the opposing defense scared of getting whacked. Defensively, Pena could not get back soon enough to settle things down- speed wasn't an issue so much as the defense was a tangled wreck. DC is capable of far better than 4-0 against KC.

Posted by: Sunspot | March 27, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I just got a very good laugh. As I looked at my season ticket book I noticed DCU's theme for the season printed on the front. "It takes more"............. Wow! They were warning us. They already knew. It takes more than we got! :)

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

just the first game but gotta say this was a big disappointment. didn't expect an elite team out the gate or anything but did feel good after some pretty good wins in preseason.. hope this didn't set the tone for the season.. i will be @ rfk next week tho to do my part and help change that tone with some good'ole dcu chanting... if that doesn't help then cheers to more beers

Posted by: dcurob | March 27, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame that KC didn't conserve their energy during Earth hour like DCU did. I'm so proud of DCU for being so environmentally friendly tonight.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Is Dave Johnson based in DC? Sorry if this is an ignorant question but I swear he's doing the San Jose match. Oh, and they pulled an 0-3.

Posted by: DCB23 | March 27, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he is the voice of the Wizards on the radio and DCU on the telly. He also is the backup for FSC. That is why I stated that he must be seeing the boxscore.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

The SE event at the Continental Lounge in Rosslyn was great, but the actual game on TV was shambolic. How could the KC players be slipping all over the field more than the DC players and still come out 4-0? Wow.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 27, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Just repeat after me: "There's no place like RFK. There's no place like RFK."

We're not in Kansas any more. It's all uphill from here. Really uphill.

I thought all the players agreed there would be no work stoppage. Did Namoff forget to tell this team?

4 months until we get two big signings....

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

ok thanks croftonpost, obviously i've never listened to a wizards game.

Posted by: DCB23 | March 27, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Just caught the DC score. Wow. Good work.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 27, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be too optimistic about big signings. With their current business model I don't see them spending that much and I don't blame Chang at all. As much money as he is losing, why lose more?

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

@kev29 - ah yes... the stadium crush... we haven't been able to build on anything since

Posted by: dcurob | March 27, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | March 27, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that James was illin'.

Posted by: Reignking | March 27, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I will say this again. For those of you that don't think the stadium issue is affecting the play on the field and the butts in the seats, you're in Fantasyland. It has ramfications that affect everything and it is a dark cloud over this franchise that only a new SSS will eliminate.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 27, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

So, to review: the Pontius as a forward experiment only lasted 45 minutes, the absence of hamstring injuries only lasted 30 minutes, and the good tactical decisions by the coach lasted about negative 20 minutes.

The only hope is that Pena will shore things up in the back and that we bring in some talent. Otherwise, we better settle in for a summer of abject discontent.

Posted by: jpeace121 | March 27, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Remember those letters we received at the end of the 2008 season....

Posted by: tcbannon | March 27, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

4-0. Thankfully it wasn't on TV, so the casual fan didn't see it.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 27, 2010 10:29 PM
-------------------------------------------

I came home to find i taped 2 hours of the DirecTV logo. Thought there was a free preview weekend?...

But I am kinda glad i didn't see it.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | March 27, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

The FO has four games left to show me they have a plan . . . otherwise I'll plan to spend my ticket money elsewhere. The product on the field today was poor at so many levels - poor passing, no creativity, stiff, "take a shot for heaven's sake - the goalie won't break", the midfield was absent much of the game, little possession. . .. The only train-wreck on the field that wasn't our problem was Stott - who has been as waste of space for years.

Posted by: carnack | March 27, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Five yellow cards, a flush. But it doesn't beat four of a kind.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Game sucked. Don't get that line up. Shoulda started who I suggested:

------------Perkins-----------
--Talley--Jakovic--James--Wallace--
Boyzz---Simms--Quaranta---Castillo--
--------Moreno---------
-------------=Pontius-----------

To Echo Juan-John, the SE jawn at the Conti was nice. Especially crucial was knowing one of the bartenders...The bike ride down was worth it just to get a free scarf for my daughter. She's stoked and won't have any care for what a crap game that was.

Vamos United! Anyone going to the friendly//reserve match on monday?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Missed the game, glad I did. Good to see Najar have a solid outing though. Can we expect highlights anywhere?

Posted by: redskinsux | March 28, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux | March 28, 2010 12:10 AM |
------------

What highlights!?!?!

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | March 28, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

eek. not a good preview for either directkick or dcu. it's really beginning to look like the dc sports gods are demanding we rock the red because everyone else is absolutely embarrassing.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | March 28, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

It looked like a 3-5-2 with one of the defenders for DC just arriving a few days ago. No wonder there was no chemistry and no wonder we got pounded. Don't read too much into this.

Posted by: RRP1 | March 28, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I hear that RRP1.

But what are we gonna do now that Simms appears out for a spell?

I did think Najar looked inspired and didn't have the appearance of a child among men. I'm excited to see what the kid has got.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 28, 2010 12:49 AM | Report abuse

I remember in the year 2000 season where we got killed 4-0 in our opening game...went on to be one of the most agonizing seasons ever for DC United fans

Posted by: DCU_VW | March 28, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse