MLS, D.C. United news & notes

*MLS Cup will be played in Canada this year, according to the Toronto Globe and Mail. New York, Philadelphia and Los Angeles were also considered. Toronto's setting, fan base and new grass surface made it a prime candidate. MLS's major concern was, and will continue to be, the weather in late November. The All-Star Game will be played at Reliant Stadium in Houston this summer.

*D.C. United's official injury report for Saturday's match at Kansas City: GK Josh Wicks (shoulder) and Ds Marc Burch (foot) and Bryan Namoff (post-concussion) are out, D-MF Devon McTavish (hamstring) is questionable and MF Clyde Simms (knee) is probable. It remains unclear whether D Juan Manuel Peña's work visa will be approved in time for the opener.

*I will post an interview with Namoff later today or early tomorrow.

*Outside RFK, work crews are busy repaving and repairing Lot 8 and the access road off the freeway. The area was damaged by winter storms and became a dumping ground for snow and debris removed from other parts of the city.

*If you would like to take a closer look at the young players and reserves on United's roster, United will play a friendly Monday at 11 a.m. against second-division Crystal Palace Baltimore at the RFK Stadium training grounds at 21st and C streets Northeast. Admission is free. D.C.'s lineup will be determined in large part by the number of minutes played by certain players in Saturday's league match.

*West Ham and a squad from the Republic of Georgia will join D.C. United and a local club in the Tiffany Trophy Cup, a tournament for under-17 teams. The event begins Saturday.

By Steve Goff  |  March 24, 2010; 2:12 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: MLS opener
Next: Video: Eto'o scores on bicycle kick

Comments

Wicks and Burch, eh.

The rest will cause a problem (especially want Pena ready to play).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 24, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Houston in August, Toronto in November. Yep, that makes good sense.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 24, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind Toronto, and it's a credit to their fans and organization, but it should have gone to NY in my opinion. But whatever.

Posted by: nairbsod | March 24, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Garber...

Granted, his comments should not be over-simplified as begging for a handout - but he leaves his words open for that interpretation. And many will just run with that.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Reliant Stadium has a retractable roof. Weather is not an issue.

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 24, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

But is it retractable and portable to take up to Toronto?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

That espn fantasy mls is crazy...couldn't even find LD.

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Goffer, isn't that even more of a reason to have the MLS Cup there rather than the all-star game? Plus I'm guessing the weather in Houston is much nicer in November than Toronto.

Posted by: CYork1 | March 24, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"The area was damaged by winter storms and became a dumping ground for snow and debris removed from other parts of the city."

I wonder if the Nats' stadium was the beneficiary of such deposits? This says something about how the city feels about our stadium.

As for Toronto in November, James Cameron is predicting it will be sunny and 80 degrees.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 24, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 24, 2010 3:04 PM

The Nationals don't have giant parking lots - only a couple garages and some leased private land used during the season.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say Toronto?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Well we can put the career ending back injury hysteria to bed :-)... he's starting for Watford tonight.

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY: Grant; Spurr, Purse, Beevers, Nolan; Potter, O'Connor, Miller, Soares; Varney, Tudgay, Subs: Hinds, Jeffers, Esajas, Clarke, Simek, O'Donnell (gk), Gray.

WATFORD: Loach; Mariappa, Taylor, DeMerit (c), Doyley; Cleverley, Eustace, Jenkins, Cowie; Helguson, Hoskins. Subs: Lee (gk), McGinn, Harley, Graham, Buckley, Bryan, Hodson,

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Toronto was warmer than Seattle on the day of last year's MLS Cup... We also don't get any snow up here until Christmas or usually January.

It'll be fine.. plus the new grass field has heating coils built underneath to warm the field up and make it think it's summer time. It'll be soft and green....

Posted by: hendrix | March 24, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any chance we get to have you do an Post online chat anytime soon? What with MLS about to start and all.

Shoot, if they let Tracee Hamilton have a chat what seems like everyday the least they can do is let you have one every once in a while.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 24, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Followup to PMcP's query: Are you done with covering hoops for the nonce?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 24, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Toronto was warmer than Seattle on the day of last year's MLS Cup" What kind of anomaly was that? I've been to Toronto in November. It's freezing cold!

If they really want to play in Toronto in November, the Rogers Centre would be a better choice. It's indoors -- and warmer!

Posted by: DaveBrett | March 24, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Reliant Stadium is busy with the NFL in November and is too big for MLS Cup purposes. It works for the All-Star Game because of availability and the fact that the opponent is expected to be a major foreign club that will draw a big crowd. Robertson Stadium in Houston isn't the place for a marquee event.

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 24, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Baltimore would be nice at either time.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 24, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF,

Bawlmore-hon in the summer has that Harbor Sewage smell... ;)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 24, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

So Saturday -- Moreno and Pontius up front with Castillo, Morsink, Simms if healthy, and Quaranta in the "middle," something like that?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 24, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Hate to keep reposting but just in case.

"Argy Bargy Outsiders" for those left out of the "Argy Bargy Insiders" mfls.com league

password: united

Posted by: Brian76 | March 24, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

That espn fantasy mls is crazy...couldn't even find LD.

Posted by: Reignking

Cronin on DC and Jakovic as a mid was as far as i got. Pretty bad when you can't find one of the biggest names in the league. Probably under defender ;)

Posted by: Brian76 | March 24, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey ...that tiffany cup is right after my adult soccer game. Crazy eh!!!! I would love to watch West ham u-17 versus Georgia national team.

Posted by: godpere | March 24, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I didn't realize that that first fantasy would only allow 25 teams. Who's going to work out the single table for the Insiders AND Outsiders from week to week? :)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Well played DadRyan

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd say we should have pro/rel between the two after the All-Star break. Or the World Cup break. Whichever.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 24, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Everton kicking Man City's ass with only a few minutes remaining. Boom!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 24, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Top 2 in each league make the playoffs, Insider and Outsider conferences, plus the next 4 with the highest point totals?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 24, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

According to weather.com, the average high for Toronto in mid-November is 45 and the low is 30. Not exactly balmy conditions...

All-Star game in Houston. Can you say game against a Mexican club?

Posted by: diego_r | March 24, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, some of those leagues have more than 25, one has 31, another with 40 something, and the SBI one has over 200. Maybe if you go through and try to change the divison settings we could move our teams over?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 24, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I also hope Bad Blake plays the halftime show at the All-Star game in Houston. Sharing the stage with Tommy Sweet and Cafe Tacuba, of course.

Hopefully, this won't be the theme song for DCU 2010:

funny how fallin' feels like flyin'
for a little while

Posted by: diego_r | March 24, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I am a little disappointed with mfls. I've got high expectations for Tim Ream and wanted him on my team, but he's not in the system for some reason.

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Neither are Hamid and Najar. I've got a feeling their system is set for 24-man rosters. In DC's case, the extra players are the two Homegrowns. In NYRB's case, for some reason they have Chiradze, who would be a Homegrown if he wasn't out this year for hip surgery -- and so they've left off Ream. Best I can figure. Unless there are other anamolies...

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@diego r -- Nice call on the song. T-Bone wrote some good stuff for the movie....

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

fischy -- I don't know if you saw, but I saw your reply to me in the "MLS labor deal outlined" thread a little while ago, and replied.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 24, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@christopher -- I hadn't seen your post. Thanks for calling my attention to it. I've posted a reply...

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Attention Argy Bargy Outsiders and Insiders. I am obviously new to this fantasy platform and should have paid more attention to how many folks might have wanted to play. It appears that I can turn this thing into a private division with a little tweak but will require a "private" password. It would then seem everyone who's interested could quit the new league and join. I don't wanna have to privately send everyone an email so if anyone is really interested, just say so, and I'll tweak it and just use the same password we were already using...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Re: MFLS

It's been around for a long time. It's put together for free by some good guys (whom I've never met) on their own time. It was here LONG before ESPN's etc.

So, take it easy with the criticism. It is what it is . . low key and for fun.

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

@delantero -- gotcha. I wasn't really being critical, actually, as it seemed to me that they may have been caught off-guard by the new roster rules. Anyway, others there think they may just be a bit slow in adding in roster moves. Either way....

Dad -- just let us know in time....

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

fischy, my comment wasn't directed at you, I was just letting people know . . cheers

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it may be the reason Ream wasn't on the list was he hadn't been signed. NYRB just announced they've signed Ream, Chinn and Irving Garcia. Now, they need to cut someone. Speaking of cutting -- another of Onalfo's picks was cut by KC -- a forward named Michale Kraus. Can Onalfo resist?

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I noticed this footy-related story on the Post's kiddie page:

Posted by: universityandpark | March 24, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic Fools:
I tried clicking the option to change to a private league and change the password, but it didn't work. Sent an email ot the Admin., hopefully get a response sooner than later. So tune in. Sorry to be such a rookie with this, but I've honestly never used this site before. Hopefully, if they've got the time they'll let me privatize the original league and we can make a merger.

Stay Tuned!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Brian76! I just got an email back from Mark at mfls.com and said they could merge the leagues if they had permission from both league managers....

Lets do this!
I'm sending him an email to grant him mine. If anyone knows Brian, get at him quick!
Thanks