MLS labor talks, to be continued

After two days of talks in Washington, MLS and the players' union decided to ... keep talking. I suppose this is good news, for the league didn't cancel the season and the players didn't go on strike.

Man of the Match, which at the moment is a tactical, 0-0 draw: George H. Cohen, the official from the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, who is working with the sparring sides.

A joint statement says:

MLS and the players' union have agreed to continue collective bargaining agreement discussions with the FMCS.

That's it. No details.

A new timetable has not been set yet, but meetings are not expected to take place Thursday.

By Steve Goff  |  March 10, 2010; 6:55 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: Champions League
Next: DCU wins, strike looms, Fire deal, Victorine retires

Comments

Yankee Doodle, do or die.

Posted by: tailwagger | March 10, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Off-topic, and I know I already said "'Bye", but it's for a good cause -- for anyone who needs reconnecting to the fun side of the game:

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

"Man of the Match, which at the moment is a tactical, 0-0 draw"

Posted by: Kev29 | March 10, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh fischy, you're the yin to my yang, the fixed gear to my 11 speed Campagnolo, the cheese in my macaroni! Speaking of yankee doodle!

Don't tell me that the censored confines of SBI and whatever other blog your reading really has the staying power to keep you away from ol' faithful... Say it ain't so Joe!

But really, shake the haters off and just adopt the mantra that the best of us have taken to heart:

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

"11 speed Campagnolo"

You're hosed. How'd you get 11? 2 up Front, 5.5 in the back?

Fischer, not sure what "bye" means, but whatever, that flick looks pretty sweet. I look forward to following it.

Posted by: delantero | March 10, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Santos 0-2 United, 37'

Enough with the doubters, we're gonna win the league this year. ;^)

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | March 10, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice! Better than losing to the Raspberry Danishes like last year.

Anyone know if any of Santos' regulars are playing?

Posted by: delantero | March 10, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Dude, even if I won the lottery I *might not* buy this group, but it does exist:

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

So Ugly Betty on the tube, Pachuca feed, DCU twitter...

AYHSMB...;^)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

once again, DCU twitter blowing it.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- LMAO. OK -- I'll use that mantra for my meditation. If you've got a Campagnolo, you gotta be one serious dude (I don't care how many gears it's got).

If you're not following the twitter feed -- Pontius hit in a header on a Castillo corner, and Moreno took a Barklage feed and scored. Our 37 y.o. out of shape trialist, Pena, got the start. Went down in the 42nd minute. No word if its serious. The whole lineup was swapped out for the 2nd half, except Perkins. I'd talk up how good Castillo et al sound, but DCU is hardly facing a first-choice lineup. Santos Laguna ran out an old friend in goal, Osvaldo Sanchez, along with a couple of semi-regular defenders, Fernando Arce in the midfield, and Francisco Torres up top, though he's listed on the club site as a midfielder. Everyone else is a reserve, or even non-roster.

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

So how is Comunicaciones-PaCHUca going?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 10, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Kinda like the big headlines on MLS the last few days as the SJ Earthquakes "Beat EPL Side" West Ham and then Tottenham. Not exactly, though I did recognize a couple of names in each game.

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

DCU better be winning. Twitter feed says Onalfo's "playing two teams in each half."

Posted by: benonthehill | March 10, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Khumalo might have secured his roster spot with the go-ahead goal. 3-2.

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

@ben -- maybe that means he's playing against two teams? Or, coaching both sides?

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I really hate that I couldn't see that match. It sounds like it was a good one.

Posted by: sitruc | March 10, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

My 1st question about the game is where was Szetela? I thought he was back and healthy?

Posted by: BurchFan4 | March 10, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Szetela had knee surgery in early Feb.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 10, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

DCU wins in Mexico. Twitter a little confusing. Maybe too many cervezas with Chang before the match...

They say the stadium was full. I don't care who's in the lineups, if the stadium is full, the stadium is FULL! That in my opinion is a tiny measure of success and damn near something to actually be proud of. A shame we couldn't see this game on tv.

@fischy, any Campy I still have running is just coincidental. The stuff is more expensive to maintain than it is to buy new, but the analogy still stands. I don't want to have to go over to Soccer *Candy Coated* By Ives to keep up with you dude. (Watch me get banned permanently for that one, you heard it here first!)
shake the haters off fischy. Including me. This still is the spot for the DCU crazies, and super intellects... Let's not forget it. You've got the left wing locked, and considering RandalDocZ sweet, lyrical crosses we're in perfect harmony.

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Szetela hasn't played yet, but I wouldn't start speculating about a repeat. When he went for surgery, I recall him hoping to be in uniform in Charleston.

Posted by: fischy | March 10, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Szetela is with the team, but doesn't sound ready to go. He is training, but from the sound of it he's working through it, with some hope of playing in the Coffee Pot Cup match the last weekend in Charleston...

BurchFan4, you should friend him on facebook. You'll get all the juice...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 10, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was cause he decked Marc Burch.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 10, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Well Mr. Burch is out for at least the first third of the season. Plenty of time for Danny to earn his spot.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse