MLS players prepared to strike

MLS players have voted overwhelmingly in favor of a strike if a collective bargaining agreement with the league is not reached in time for the season openers in two weeks, the Insider has learned.

In a written vote, more than 350 players supported a strike and only two opposed it, a source close to the situation said.

"We will not start the season without a new agreement," said a veteran player, who requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the negotiations. "To be quite blunt, it doesn't look good at all."

These revelations come after league and union representatives met for two days in Washington this week under the auspices of federal mediator George H. Cohen. In a joint statement, the sides said they would continue talking. However, no specifics were provided.

On Wednesday, Toronto defender Nick Garcia told the CBC that the players are "united as a union and if we need to strike, we will."

More.....

MLS has offered to start the season under the conditions of the previous CBA, which was scheduled to expire Jan. 31 and extended multiple times before being discontinued in late February amid disagreements about free agency within the league, guaranteed contracts and other issues.

The season is scheduled to begin March 25 with the Seattle Sounders hosting the expansion Philadelphia Union. D.C. United's opener is planned for two days later at Kansas City.

I am awaiting comment from union and league officials.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 11, 2010; 2:34 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Your non-MLS plans
Next: Eskandarian sidelined indefinitely

Comments

The players and league should be concerned that the fans will strike if they don't get this thing sorted out.

Posted by: chemweapon | March 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I understand that the players have some valid grievances but c'mon fellas. Sometimes when you feel froggy--it's better not to jump.

A lot of questions are running through my mind and some zingers, too. But I will save those for a future date as needed.
If there is a work stoppage then I will take off the gloves and start light Bamas up on both sides.

I hope that it doesn't come to that...

Posted by: yankiboy | March 11, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

OK owners, let's see some progress!

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 11, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

So, they're going to stand behind they're convictions; good for them. I stand with them.

Posted by: decoi | March 11, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

There is little more to be said that has not been said already.

Whatever it takes to fix it should be done. The clock is ticking.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 11, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

i blame garber

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

So, they're going to stand behind their convictions; good for them. I stand with them.

Posted by: decoi | March 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Also, I would strongly consider creating a half & half jersey of the two players who voted against striking. Whoever they are.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 11, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Hello everybody, Captain Obvious here... BAD for the real fans, very bad for the league as a whole, and bad for the growth of the sport in general. Both sides need to give a little here. I am no fly on the wall, so I can't say who is in the right, but they both gotta give something up here to keep the boat afloat. C'mon fellas! Make it happen!!

Posted by: beergorila | March 11, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

oh, and I blame Logan.

Posted by: beergorila | March 11, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I blame Jay Heaps.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 11, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

""more than 350 players supported a strike and only two opposed it,""

Let me guess, Rogers and Ching.

Posted by: delantero | March 11, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Ohhhhh crap! Who was it we were blaming for everything last summer!!?!? I blame them!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 11, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

i demand a recount.

Posted by: stairs | March 11, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
________________________________

In that case, it was Digital Takawira.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 11, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I know it wasn't Beckham and Donovan.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 11, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I blame Bob Bradley. And kswiss311.

Posted by: Reignking | March 11, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I haven't watched a professional baseball game since the early 80's strike - are the MLS players trying to do the same to their fan base? There's tremendous soccer opportunities for fans outside of MLS - attend a nearby Div I college game and see some good play - go watch in person the energy WPS plays with.

The MLS players are not on the winning side if they don't play.

Posted by: cheapthrill | March 11, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the owners are breaking out in a cold sweat......

If the players do indeed strike it won't be long before guys are crossing the picket line.

It's not like the players have a huge strike fund to help players pay bills when the pay checks aren't coming in.

Posted by: jamesweise | March 11, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

if the players are "united as a union" can united and union play each other?

Posted by: troy6 | March 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

FAAACUNDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: DCU_VW | March 11, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna wait for the official report, but I suspect Gene Wells.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 11, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Step 1: Place wobbly league on the ground.
Step 2: Pour flammable liquid (liberally).
Step 3: Light Match.
Step 4: Ignite.
Step 5: Go watch Setanta. (Oh, snap!)

Wasn't there already a movie about this starring Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels?

"Why, laughter through tears is my favorite emotion!" - Dolly Parton, Steel Magnolias

Truth - I really thought both sides were smarter than this. Sigh.

Posted by: Throwin64 | March 11, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Viva la revolucion!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 11, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The results of this poll should send a shiver down the spine of the owners. I am curious as to how they voted. Did someone call or email each player for their response? I would assume that it was done anonomously, probably the same as Goff's polls. I understand why the players are doing this, but I think it is extremely bad timing and could ruin MLS. It is a shame that the owners are not taking their demands seriously.

Posted by: no_recess | March 11, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF wins. Close the thread

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 11, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Throwin64: Except there is no more Setanta.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 11, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"A memo to a higher office
Open letter to the powers that be
To a god, a king, a head of state
A captain of industry
To the movers and the shakers...
Can't everybody see?

It ought to be second nature
I mean, the places where we live
Let's talk about this sensibly
We're not insensitive
I know progress has no patience
But something's got to give..."

Rush, "Second Nature"

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 11, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

A strike vote simply is part of the kabuki leading up to the "deadline." Wait until we are about a week or less from Opening Day and let's see what happens. The fear of the consequences of a strike/lockout on both sides is too remote, wait until each side is staring over the edge of the cliff.

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 11, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF wins. Close the thread

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

Agreed.

Posted by: Reignking | March 11, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's to the men of Barra Brava FC.
And to the ladies, too!
Whether we're f'ing or fightin'
You know we'll be drinkin'
Oh, 'til the night is through!

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | March 11, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I blame myself.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 11, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. I suppose subscribing to Fox's replacement of Setanta is less expensive than paying for all those United tickets.

But it's really not the same.

If this happens I guess my summer soccer watching will take place at the SoccerPlex from the Freedom's Beer Garden.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 11, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Let the fools have their "tar-tar sauce"

Posted by: Tweaked | March 11, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure they have to. It would just be flat out devastating for them to prove that they would never strike, leaving them totally at the mercy of the system.

Even if you don't agree with their position, it's pretty clear that this is the one way they can have an impact.

And noone start talking about scabs, I would hate to see what MLS replacement players look like.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Strikes happen - I don't see this having a serious effect on the league. The hardcore supporter will come back, the casual supporter never really arrived. A couple of cheap beer nights at RFK and all will be good.

Posted by: ddd001 | March 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Good; please do. It means I can catch more Everton matches with Donovan on the field rather than waste my time watching him play for LA.

Im glad the players are united, but if the season doesn't start on time so what. The MLS season is too long anyway and there are still lots of good European matches to watch.

Posted by: hacksaw | March 11, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

How are the Metrostars owners feeling right now? New $200 million stadium about to sit emplty for a year. They've got deep enough pockets, they should just pony-up a few million to guarantee a substantial jump for developmental players' base salaries and take one of the issues off the table...

Posted by: ManuteBogues | March 11, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 11, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse
====================

Keanu Reeves?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 11, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Is Dempsey really on the bench for this game? Or just listed since he is part of the Europa League registered squad?

Posted by: Reignking | March 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, MLS players want freedom of movement? I wonder if they would accept freedom of movement for all players by agreeing to take free agency along with the removal of foreign player limitations?

Posted by: teo_68 | March 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Tweaked wins.

About this line:

"MLS has offered to start the season under the conditions of the previous CBA..."

Can we refrain from calling this an offer?

Really. MLS has made an offer, which may or may not contain some actual compromises.

The previous CBA? That's the "or else" in the "Take it, or else" offer...the "leave it" in the "take it or leave it".

Basically, they're saying you don't like what we're offering? Well, we could lock you out, but why don't we just play under the old agreement which you surely like less than what we're offering?

Posted by: fischy | March 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Take me out to R -F- K
(What happened the crowd?)
Buy me pupusas and stale Bass Ales
I don’t care if the MLS fails

So it’s root, root, root for the girls team
If there’s no games – what a shame
Cause it’s one, two, three strikes yer out
And yer all to blame

___________________________________________

More like Andrew Shue, methinks

Posted by: teo_68 | March 11, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

If the Shue fits...

(I blame PowerBoater69.)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 11, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

go ahead and strike... I'd rather watch the world cup anyway

Posted by: TheDane1 | March 11, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I would have saved the season.

- Hope Solo

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 11, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the players are calling the owners bluff. I don't expect I would watch much MLS anyway. The EPL and La Liga wrap up around the beginning of June. Then I have 64 matches to watch between the second week of June until near the end of July. Take vacation, then start back in mid-late August with the EPL. When am I possibly going to have any time to fit in MLS.

Posted by: peridigm | March 11, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stwasm | March 11, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Greg Ryan.

That's who I was gonna blame, Greg Ryan.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 11, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm on Team Players.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 11, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

honestly, I'd like to see the exact, current positions and offers on both sides before I side with the players or owners. We have yet to see any leaks about exactly what the players want or what the teams have offered. For all we know, the owners could be making perfectly reasonable offers. Or not.

Posted by: hendrix | March 11, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Whoever wins, we lose.

The fans, I mean. The paying customers.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 11, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I fully expect to sit down with my pint on 9:30 PM ET on March 25 for some Sounders - Philly.

We can't let Stoner spend more time on the PBA....

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 11, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

This situation makes me sick. In the end, as long as the players' situation isn't worse than what it was, they need to chill out and play. Most people in America don't have a guaranteed contract, why should they get one in this economy? Wait until MLS starts making money and it's not a World Cup year to start making demands.

Posted by: futboler | March 11, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean I can get Jaime and the Pena dude for my men's team? Everyone else is too young I think.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 11, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh my God what am I gonna do - No Soccer!!!

Ummm... probably totally not care like 99% of the USA.

Posted by: billm32 | March 11, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Our job is to play soccer everyday. Thats just so unfair to us players. We will stop PLAYING soccer if we don't get better PLAYING conditions.

what a bunch of @*@%$^@!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | March 11, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

uh, i'd like to hear from Sideshow Mel...

Sideshow Mel: I'll see to it that [Garber/owners/players/Bob Bradley/Jack Warner] suffers the infernal mechanations of Hell's grim tyrant

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 11, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@futboler: Dang, man. Seriously, I never thought about it that way. Great point about most of us being employed but not having guaranteed contracts, Playah.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 11, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

....and starring Ivanovich84 as Marie Antionette.

"let them play futsal!"

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 11, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey on for Fulham in the second half of their match at Juventus. Welcome back, Clint!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 11, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe no one blamed Soehn.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 11, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

That's right Ivanovich, and Bruce Springsteen shouldn't demand a fair share of his album sales revenue because after all he enjoys singing anyway.

It could be that there's nothing to share in MLS, but the logic of "you enjoy your job so you don't deserve a fair shake" doesn't hold water.

I'm with Hendrix. Bring on the leaks.

This vote may not be a big deal in any case -- just the players being clear with the owners.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 11, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to find out if there will be a live video feed of the Sounders/Timbers match this evening. Anyone know?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The players have asked for the kind of rights that professional soccer players around the world enjoy. Recognizing these rights would cost the league little or no money.
No one wants a work stoppage, but anyone who works for a living ought to support the players.
If the league is too stubborn and short sighted to recognize that the players deserve a fair deal, then it ought to fold. If there is real demand for professional soccer in the US (and all indications are that there is), another league will emerge to take MLS' place,

Posted by: Jphubba | March 11, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

go timbers!

Posted by: troy6 | March 11, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: footballfan9 | March 11, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

yankiboy and futboler,

The difference is, if we quit or get fired and then want to take a job with a new company, we can hire on with whomever we choose. Our new employer doesn't have to negotiate with our old employer for the right to hire us.

Posted by: Kenobi | March 11, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I know there is tv coverage locally in Seattle. What are the chances a computer nerd hooks up a stream?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Good bye MLS.

Posted by: oknow1 | March 11, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone asked Billy Bragg what he thinks?
Nice cameo by one of the Crewzers.

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | March 11, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

..........the owners are complete morons and the players make the owners look like Mensa members................this sucks!

Posted by: boda-united | March 11, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

there is no tv for tonites SOUNDERS vs cinders game.

Posted by: Harem | March 11, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Whatsa matta? Sounders FO afraid someone might see their stadium with only 14K in it? WTH?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"Most people in America don't have a guaranteed contract, why should they get one in this economy?"

Futboler, my friend, your analogy SUCKS.

So imagine this: employers in your field may hire employees to start on January 1st. You like what Company X has to offer, and take a job with them, but another employee comes back from FMLA leave on Feb. 22, so you get fired.

Only on January 1st of NEXT year are you eligble to be re-employed in your field. In the meantime, with no paycheck, you have to take a job not in your field... how does frying chicken at KFC for the next ten months sound?

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 11, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

what a bunch of @*@%$^@!

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | March 11, 2010 4:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------

We have tens of millions of dollars to invest -- and we get public financing to help build our stadiums -- but we can't continue to operate if we have to give contract guarantees to veteran players making $34k like Kurt Morsink, and we don't dare allow out-of-contract veterans to have the right to negotiate with other league teams, even though all teams operate under the same caps. After all, we have to pay Don Garber #3 million a year -- that may be more than we pay our teams, but he puts his body on the line.

what a bunch of greedy @*@%$^@!

Posted by: fischy | March 11, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

At least DC United confirmed that they will refund $ if any games are nixed. I may buy tickets now.

Maybe.

Posted by: Hoost | March 11, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I have a theory on why single-entity monopoly rules are so important to the MLS. They're getting these new stadiums, but the teams are largely just tenants. They're opening up a market for soccer in this country, but the league is afraid of new, probably foreign competition. That's why Garber has tried to bring in Barcelona and Manchester City as MLS franchise owner/operators. They want some of the big teams to have a significant investment in the success of MLS. The alternative might be that the EPL -- once its finances are straightened out -- might decide America is a great market to run what amounts to a reserve league. If they can put out teams with comparable or better talent, and linked to the EPL team brands, they could seriously challenge MLS.

If that's the fear, it's paranoia.

Posted by: fischy | March 11, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Well, to double post...
But the players are losing the PR war. Amazing, because the owners haven't really said anything. The players just don't have any real leverage because the league is on such relatively weak footing and most MLS fans appear to have plenty of other viewing options if the league shuts down. Weird.

Posted by: hacksaw | March 11, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

The players are NOT losing the PR war. At all. What makes you say that? The players are Curt Flood, and MLS is the MLB 50 years ago.

More importantly, does this mean Landon can stay at Everton for another month? Here's hoping....

Posted by: jhgodfrey1 | March 11, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Note to MLS owners, players and management: You are not the NFL. You are not MLB. You are not the NBA. You cannot and will not survive a labor dispute. You will harm soccer in America for years to come, if not permanently, if you do not get your heads out of your wallets and settle your differences. Now.

Posted by: fengraf | March 11, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

fischy, fallschurch1

They PLAY soccer for a living! PLAY PLAY PLAY.

Posted by: Ivanovich84 | March 11, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

If this strike lasts too long, the league is dead...

Posted by: BT23 | March 11, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Metro fans, looks like another 60-90 days for ya, suckers!

Posted by: Hoost | March 11, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Every day on my commute to work I see some !diot daring a vehicle to knock him down... like the vehicle ever lost. Here I thought that soccer players were smart... but I was wrong. Where is the leverage guys? Where is it?

Posted by: samiismoni14 | March 11, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Is that "idiot" wearing a DC United shirt and riding a bike? I think it's DadRyan.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 11, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I'm too busy dropping fools to sit around daring anyone to do anything. By the time you realize I cut you off I'm a ghost.
I wouldn't call me the "idiot". Live and Laugh out Loud.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 11, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by stwasm: If there is a strike, all I have to say is United better be ready to start forking out refunds for missed games.
----------------------------------
If there is a strike, United better be ready to fork over a FULL refund of my season tickets. I'll be done with MLS. Besides, I just lost my job, so I could use the money. Maybe I can use it to buy a ticket to London to watch a real game.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | March 11, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

A strike isn't good for anyone. They have to sort this out before the sport loses all of the traction it has gained through MLS in this country over the last 14 years. this is not good

Posted by: jmurray019 | March 12, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

i'm sure both beckham and donovan are thrilled. i imagine the two players who voted against striking were old and this was to be their last year. well, i think it's going to be a lot of players last years now. top to bottom, this is so asinine. i doubt any other football leagues in the world would strike in a world cup year. i now expect our team to be made entirely of european based players.

Posted by: papple | March 12, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 12, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

MLS on strike will, in short, be the death of the league.

Yes, several teams have nice soccer only stadiums. Yes, several teams have a nice 15,000 plus in stadium following.

But the reality is soccer is not on the sports mind of the masses. Soccer is currently, at best, a third tier sport (NFL, MLB, NBA on Tier 1), (Nascar, NHL, Golf on tier 2), (MLS alone on tier 3) (tier 4 would be WNBA, Tennis).

The MLS Players have no where else to go. Sure, some could go overseas, but the majority are MLS players - not that being an MLS player is a bad thing. These players are getting paid to play. That doesn't stink.

Do they deserve more than they are getting from a contract standpoint? Sure. But the owners also deserve the opportunity to preseve the game, make a few bucks and have some success. The players and the owners need each other. If one refuses to participate the other fails.

MLS can not remain a viable entity if they are hit with a work stoppage. It took MLB years to recover from their last work stoppage and MLB is part of the American fiber. The NHL is still recovering from their last work stoppage.

With baseball season ready to start, with college basketball getting ready for the Madness, Tiger Woods is getting readay to play again and the NBA playoffs and NHL playoffs are just around the corner. An MLS players strike won't even get a mention on ESPN.

The MLS players need to realize that growth come with success and success comes one step at a time. The foundations laid by today's players will add value to tomorrow's players only if MLS is still around.

The players needs to watch their posturing. The owners need to accept reality and make adjustments to their offers. But of the two sides can not find common ground the resulting workstopage will be the first step in their funneral march, and each day after the first will just lead them closer to a shared grave.

MLS can not survive a work stoppage. Common sense, today's economy and a hard does of reality should tell anyone with sports intrest that.

Posted by: tzj20874 | March 12, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse