Monday kickaround

*Although he is not on the official roster, defender Steve Cherundolo will train with the U.S. team in Amsterdam the next two days as part of his rehab from a shoulder injury that has sidelined him for a month. He expects to return to action for Hanover next week.

*England's Wayne Rooney (perhaps the best player in the world right now?) hopes to be fit for Wednesday's friendly against Egypt after bruising a knee in the Carling Cup final.

*It's March 1, which means the end of financially strained Setanta and the arrival of Fox Soccer Plus, which will complement Fox Soccer Channel. DirecTV, DISH Network, Time Warner Cable and Verizon FiOS will offer the premium service right away. Others are expected to follow. Click here to see if it's available in your area.

*In case you missed it, D.C. United finally scored in preseason, defeating the U.S. under-17 national team, 5-2, and Florida Gulf Coast University, 1-0, on Friday in Bradenton. The club is back in Washington for a few days before embarking on the next phase of preseason with a week-long stay in Mexico.

*With a tie or victory today against Sweden (10 a.m. ET), the USA women will advance to the final of the Algarve Cup in Portugal. Video from the USA's 2-1 win over Norway, capped by Abby Wambach's game-winner in added time:

By Steve Goff  |  March 1, 2010; 9:55 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , England , TV , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans abroad
Next: March madness for World Cup-bound teams

Comments

A correction? Isn't the tournament officially known as "The Prestigious Algarve Cup"?

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping that FIOS would just wrap Fox Soccer + into their regular packages, not keep it as a stand-alone channel that you need to pay for. Oh well. Perhaps someday.

Posted by: nairbsod | March 1, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey, everybody! I'm from Holland! Isn't that veird?

Posted by: EssEff | March 1, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I thought you were from the Netherlands.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey, everybody! I'm from Holland! Isn't that veird?

Posted by: EssEff | March 1, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

that is bad news bears....walter mathau...

Posted by: VTUnited | March 1, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Love them them dirty girls...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 1, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Such a top-quality pitch for such a prestigious tournament.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Does that "Click Here to see if it's available in your area" link for FS Plus that Goff provides above work for anyone? I tried several different zip codes, both inside and outside our area, and each of the providers that were in the pull down menu for each of the zip codes; the response was always "we are working with providers in your area to bring this channel to you; sign up below for updates." IOW, it appears that the link doesn't actually do anything useful.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 1, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I tried that form too and got the same message. Am hoping that it really is available on Time Warner in NYC.

What's the word on FSC HD? Wasn't that supposed to launch at the same time?

Posted by: joe_hill | March 1, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

From Verizon FIOS website: 14.99/month?! Are they kidding?

Fox Soccer Plus
Fox Soccer Plus will carry exclusive match content from the most prominent and highest profile soccer competitions in the world, such as UEFA Champions League, England's Barclays Premier League, England's FA Cup, and Italy's Serie A.
$14.99/month

Posted by: danboleo | March 1, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Yay Comcast, where Xfinity means simply adding to the cost of your bill for the same services!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 1, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Fox Soccer Plus on RCN in Montgomery County, I emailed customer service to inquire if they will add the service and was not surprised to hear nothing back from them. Their customer service is atrocious. I am sure if they eventually add it, it will come with additional cost.

Posted by: sbg1 | March 1, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Why is everyone complaining about having to pay for Fox Soccer Plus? It's replacing Setanta (which you had to pay for) and is supposed to carry all it's programming.

So long as I still get rugby, I'm happy.

Posted by: mmathai | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Matt -- I wouldn't complain about having to pay for it. But if it's priced like Setanta was -- that is, if we have to pay as much for one channel as you do for a set of 20 channels that bring you much much much more programming (including much more soccer), then it'll be just as appealing as Setanta was to most viewers (which is to say, not at all). There'll be a few people who'll pony up for it, just as there were a few people who ponied up for Setanta. But the vast majority of people who'd otherwise be interested will take a pass.

But then, we've had this conversation before.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 1, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

So long as I still get rugby, I'm happy.

Posted by: mmathai

You can get more than rugby from this guy.

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@mmathai,

Not going to complain if it's a pay service - just so long as it's 1) Available to purchase and 2) In HD.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 1, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Matt, I never had interest in Setanta for the same reason I will never subscribe to HBO. Paying a big chunk for just one channel is ridiculous. Cable's expensive enough as it is. (Besides, I could never sell it to the Mrs.) I was looking forward to FSC in HD, but I guess I'll have to settle for smudgy blobs moving around on regular old FSC. Too bad.

Posted by: danboleo | March 1, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I can't get this out of my head....

"When they do the double dutch, that's them dancing"

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

women just went up 1-0 on Sweden in the 60th. win or a tie puts US in the final.

Posted by: troy6 | March 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Is the Netherlands part of Holland? Or Denmark?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 1, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I had a friend from Holland. Her name was Yvette Back.

I called her my HollandBack girl.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 1, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I wish that FS+ was an exact replica of Setanta - but we're getting a noxious mix of FSC programming thrown in there. For my $14.99, I really don't need the replay of the completely unwatchable Fox Soccer Report, thanks though.

Plus (no pun intended), they're tape delaying Championship matches on Saturday to show more 'boring as paint drying' live Serie A. And Football League highlights have disappeared. And no live Fulham-Spurs QF in favor of more Serie A. Eww.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 1, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

So long as I still get rugby, I'm happy.

Posted by: mmathai | March 1, 2010 10:47 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------

I complained about and never seriously considered paying $15/month for Setanta. Why would I be expected to feel any better about paying Fox the same price for the same service? Given that FSC is part of the larger organization supporting the Beck hate-mongering campaign, I have no intention of paying them anything right now -- but, I'm not paying anyone that much $$$ for one lousy sports channel.

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Being on Direct TV they rolled my Setanta service over to Fox Soccer Plus. A few things I have noticed (schedule goes out for a week)that disturb me a bit:

1) Both Sky Sports News and Fox Soccer Report are included as on FSC and over and over daily. Why?

2) Debt Commercials! If I'm paying 14.95 I don't want any commercials.

3) No French League, no Manchester United or Chelsea TV or Coca-Cola Championship games etc. So much for the promises of the Setanta programing rolling over into Plus.

4) FA Cup football on Plus, but not FSC.

5) Do have rugby.

All in all I have to admit I'm disappointed. It looks like the usual FSC low budget production at a premium price. This was a real chance for them to step up to the plate and make this an A+ production. It doesn't look like they did anything, but roll programs over from FSC and a scant few programs from Setanta. At least from a first blush, those who think this is going to be like Setanta think again. I'm going to give it a month to see if they get their act together however, if this is the same fare at that point then I'm not paying $14.95 for this sort of service.

FWIW I have never understood the point of the Fox Soccer Report. It's not real timely, very low budget and anchor's who in many cases leave a lot to be desired and it pretty much repeats Sky Sports and not as well.

Posted by: Shark21 | March 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Sounds like FSC+ is a joke.

Posted by: nairbsod | March 1, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

or Coca-Cola Championship games etc

Posted by: Shark21 | March 1, 2010 11:37 AM

FS+ will show The Championship, starting with a tape delayed match on Saturday, March 20th (Bristol City v Newcastle United). In fairness, that's the next live match for UK TV as well.

It looks like they are going to tape delay the Saturday (Sky in the UK) afternoon match, which kinda sucks. Palace-Cardiff will be live on the 27th. Not sure about Monday Championship matches yet.

Keep an eye on ESPN360 for League matches - if you have access...

Posted by: Kev29 | March 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

so... will there be a FSC HD in addition to FS+, or is that it?

Posted by: danboleo | March 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Re FSC+. First, I am really happy I have DirecTV - they are a must for a futbol fan in DC (land of Comcast and no FIOS). I did have Setanta and now will continue to pay rather gladly for FSC+. I wouldn't be too worried about early programming deficiencies. Surely, they will add more content later. Having lots of EPL and Champion's League games in HD, plus a smattering of other goodies such as intl. friendlies, surely justifies the cost IMO.

Posted by: sofiaboy | March 1, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

kev29...thanks! As a long time QPR fan it is the only way I get a chance to see them once in awhile. Still not sold FSC-Plus yet though...

Posted by: Shark21 | March 1, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shark21 | March 1, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shark21 | March 1, 2010 12:29 PM

UUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRs!

I expect we'll get a relegation tussle televised next month :-/

Posted by: Kev29 | March 1, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

By the way, for local Comcast peeps, I've heard rumors (please note, rumors) that our cable succubus will be adding FSC HD later this month. And possibly adding FS+ as a premium option over the Summer. Hope there's fire behind that smoke.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 1, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

this one's for Reignking:

"they might break and they might fall..."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 1, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shark21 | March 1, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

========================

If you listen to McMahaon over and over you get a lot of work on your Shrek imitation . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

What channel is FS+ on DirecTV? I just put on 621, the old Setanta channel, it was on for about five minutes then disappeared.

Thx,