Monday kickaround

*David Beckham will, indeed, be sidelined for months, according to his surgeon.

*A broader look at Beckham's career-threatening injury.

*USA forward Jozy Altidore will have a new manager after Hull City dismissed Phil Brown. By the way, I love the British expression for an employee who has been banished with pay: "gardening leave." Go tend to the tomatoes, Phil.

*Salvador Cabanas, the Paraguayan star who was shot in Mexico City, speaks about his recovery.

*Forward Troy Deeney, after Walsall's 2-0 League One loss to Leyton Orient: "Some people are just happy to let each game roll by, keep picking up their money and, to be honest, it's pathetic. If you watched that, then you will see who's doing what and who came in and wringed their shirt out afterward because of the sweat, there weren't many."

*After a 10-0 victory over Costa Rica on Sunday, the USA under-17 girls squad has now outscored its three opponents at the CONCACAF tournament 32-0. The Americans will play Canada or Mexico in Thursday's semifinals.

By Steve Goff  |  March 15, 2010; 10:34 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , Beckham , CONCACAF , England , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beckham's career in jeopardy?
Next: Video: Higuain's hat trick

Comments

Happy, I-270? :)

Posted by: Reignking | March 15, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Instant gratification.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 15, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I-270, try asking for an attacking midfielder...

Posted by: JkR- | March 15, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to USA Womens U17 selectee Alex Doll (Bethesda Chevy-Chase) for her inclusion on the team and goal versus Costa Rica.

Posted by: sbg1 | March 15, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Most Achilles injuries appear to be out of the blue but I can't remember an athlete at the top of his or her physical performance getting one.

Posted by: GeneWells | March 15, 2010 9:12 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------

There needs to be some accountability for this. Who's responsible? We need names named.

Posted by: fischy | March 15, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sbg1 | March 15, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

This is what's great about the Brit press:
"his Achilles tendon snapped and suddenly his world must feel like a darker, emptier, lonelier place." They get to make stuff up!

Posted by: dccal | March 15, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Phil Brown finally out! I was wondering what it was going to take.

Posted by: jsm91 | March 15, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I watched the game against Cayman Islands, where the score was 13-0 or 14-0, I forget. I understand the competitive nature of the athletes and coaches, especially in an international tournament, but I still wonder if the score needed to be so high. AS a former coach in youth soccer, in that situation (and I have been on both ends) the winning team will often just resort to a max of 2 or 3 touches. Have the girls work on posession rather than scoring. Make them understand that the goal is not scoring, but seeing how long you can keep the ball away from the other team using a max of 3 touches. Why not do something like this?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | March 15, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Why not do something like this?
Posted by: Dougmacintyre
============

Scholarships?

Read Mike Wise's column on running up the score in girls' basketball.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 15, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes, play keepaway. That will make the other team feel better. I hope they still got their orange slices.

Posted by: Reignking | March 15, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I watched the Cayman Islands game too, for about 10 minutes. That tournament is a travesty, and should not be played, or should be scaled back in some fashion to teams that can legitimately compete (if there are any). Is there really a need for a U17 "World Cup" anyway? I mean, really, what is the point of what they are doing in this tournament? Whose idea is this anyway?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 15, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Now I wish even more that Beckham's smash at Old Trafford last week had gone in. He frikkin crushed that ball.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 15, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Whose idea is this anyway?
Posted by: OWNTF
=========

If it's a bad idea, it must be Sepp's.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 15, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Bedoya 90 today in a 2-0 win

Posted by: Reignking | March 15, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Do the effects of repeated cortisone shots in the ankle have anything to do with his tendon snapping? GeneWells?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 15, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse