Poll: Champions League winner is .....

By Steve Goff  |  March 18, 2010; 10:40 AM ET
Categories:  Euro Champions League , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday kickaround
Next: MLS labor update

Comments

Messi, alone, should be a choice. He's the new "Ditka."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 18, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see a tough semi final round to ensure only one EPL team makes it to the semis.

Man Utd-------
Lyon -------Semi

Arsenal-------
Bayern
--Final
Barca
Bordeaux

Inter -------Semi
CSKA Moscow

Posted by: peridigm | March 18, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Arsenal!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 18, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Messi v. Rooney would likely be very entertaining.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 18, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I think it would be nice to see Lyon win it this year, especially for how dominate they've been in France.

That said, it will be surprising if Barca or ManU don't win it.

Posted by: TCompton | March 18, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

A lot depends on the draw. Goff should do a second poll after the draw is made, and compare the results of the two polls.

I'd vote for Inter to win if they can avoid Barcelona and Man Utd until the final.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | March 18, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

after reading Soccernomics, I would like to see Lyon win it, but my head says Barca.

Posted by: troy6 | March 18, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Suggest two other poll questions:

1. Which two teams do you EXPECT to see in the final.

2. Which two teams would you PREFER to see in the final.

For me, I expect Man U / Barca (depending of course on the draw)

But in terms of stylish play and human interest, I'd rather see Barca - Inter (Eto and Ibra against their old teams) Barca - Arsenal (Henry against his old team). It would be great of course to see Barca meet Man U, but it is tiresome to see them in the final so often :-)

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 18, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@peridigm

What would you want to "ensure" ANY teams DON'T reach the finals. If EPL football is strong enough, it won't matter who they're matched up with in the 1/4's or semis.

Last year, THREE of the FOUR semi finals teams were from the EPL and it's kind of hard to argue any of them had an "easy" path to become one of the best four teams in Europe.

Posted by: FootyNut | March 18, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: troy6

Me too. At least get into the semis. Bordeaux I wouldn't mind, either, as Gourcuff is underappreciated. Or Munich for Cicatriz. Francosnob!

I'm thinking those two could really do something in South Africa this summer.

Posted by: Reignking | March 18, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Why Lyon?

I have a soft spot for them only because that is where Sonia Bompastor came from and so I thank them for whatever role they played in grooming that rare gift to fans of womens soccer. Are there other reasons to admire Lyon?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Lyon, the city -- great food, fantastic views, great rivers...
The team -- weird/cool stadium (will they build that new one? are they?), team is an underdog that succeeds despite not being a big club, came from nowhere...would be great to see Ligue 1 emerge one day and become a bigger league...

Posted by: Reignking | March 18, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I want to see the draw later today, but I hope it sets up so that Man Utd & Barca can't meet until the final. And yes, I remember last year's final...a rematch is in order.

Posted by: soccerman | March 18, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Favorite part about Lyon? The urinals...lining the outside wall of the stadium. Everyone gets to watch you get rid of your beer as the crowd streams out of the gates.

Posted by: Reignking | March 18, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Is that FIFA compliant? I thought it had to be an all-seater . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 18, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

It will be much easier to predict after the draw.

I have followed Barca for many years, and hope that they make the final.

However, I do recognize that the odds are against them.

I heard that no team has won back to back in the modern Champions League.

Posted by: footiefan101 | March 18, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Milan was the last team to win back-to-back '89 and '90.

With Chelsea and Real Madrid out, I think Manchester United might be the only one left that can beat them, and they are basically the same team from last year minus Ronaldo. They already faced Inter this season and won and tied against them.

They are clearly superior to the other teams.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | March 18, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerman
*******

And the previous years semifinal?

I would prefer United to get knocked out soon, or have them meet in the next round.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | March 18, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerman
*******

And the previous years semifinal?

Posted by: vmrg1974 | March 18, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

OK. Jesus Christ, Moses and all of the saints verses Messi! Who wins?
Conditions: Messi has one foot tied behind his back.

Posted by: EssEff | March 19, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse