Poll: MLS opener

MLS is set to begin its 15th season Thursday night with the second-year Seattle Sounders, the runaway attendance leaders in 2009, hosting the expansion Philadelphia Union at Qwest Field. I am curious whether Insider loyalists are planning to watch (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes). Vote:

By Steve Goff  |  March 24, 2010; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  MLS , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday kickaround
Next: MLS, D.C. United news & notes

Comments

Would be glad to watch some of the opener - but my school's Sweet 16 game tips at 9:37...

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

6:00PM U8 practice
7:30PM Dinner
8:00PM Fight with kids about doing their homework
9:00PM Fight with kids about their bedtime
9:30PM Watch the match in the city that invented soccer, coffee, computers, the internet, monopolies, corrupt .dll files, unsecured web browsers, and patches - lots and lots of patches.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

YES! Prime Time football!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 24, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

i wont watch my first ever game was againt the sounders in the open cup final, i hate them. and as for philly, i got history with philly im going up there in two weeks, i cantwatch a game and root for a cruise missle to land on the pitch can i?

Posted by: bearcox13 | March 24, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 11:27 AM

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow, %78 of America is planning on watching the MLS opener

Posted by: csd1 | March 24, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Well played I-270!!!

Posted by: BmoreDave | March 24, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

If my seasonal allergies are still kicking my behind, i don't think so. Maybe just the first 15 minutes or so.

If I am feeling better then it is a lock.

Here's to feeling better.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 24, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Another victory for the Union?

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Another victory for the Union?

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 11:47 AM
------------------------------------------------

Why not? It's been 145 years since the last one....

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@270: Still smarting over that Open Cup thingy. Can't blame you.

¡Sounders!

Posted by: joepublic1 | March 24, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Any update on the number of DC United season tickets purchased this year by the fans of castillo?

Posted by: SexyOffender | March 24, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I-270: como se dice "Taser gun" en espanol?

Looking forward to the MLS opener. I pick Seattle in rout.

What's a dll file?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 24, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Will flip over during timeouts of the NCAA Tournament games on CBS. Really wish the First Kick game was tonight instead, especially since MLS has done away with the regular Primetime Thursday schedule.

Posted by: FCRoleModel83 | March 24, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Why not? It's been 145 years since the last one....

Posted by: fischy

or 5 days...

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Califf > Montero

Posted by: OWNTF | March 24, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Kasper and Payne (and, I suppose, other MLS FOs):

Portsmouth has been given permission to sell players now to foreign clubs (and/or to agree to transfer players in the summer to foreign clubs). EPL clubs can buy players now, but they would be barred from playing games the rest of the year. This opens multiple opportunities-- though MLS refuses to pay transfer fees, it's a buyer's market this time. Also, if any EPL club does buy a Portsmouth player, they might entertain a loan to an MLS club through the end of the EPL season, to keep the player fit and sharp....

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@fischy

Tal Ben Haim

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 24, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I will not be watching for two reasons. First, I don't have cable. Second, I need a good night sleep, as I am pacing and crewing for my training partner at the Umstead 100 miler on Saturday near Raleigh.

Posted by: JPO2200 | March 24, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Voted yes...taping the game...because i'll be at the game! bout time the season starts!

Posted by: xiopik | March 24, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

@VirginiaBlueBlood

Good Call.

Posted by: ihillvt | March 24, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Syracuse vs Butler followed by Kansas State vs Xavier.

I will DVR the game and watch it later.

Posted by: timmy6 | March 24, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Need a "will flick back and forth between MLS and march madness" option

Posted by: seantipton | March 24, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

It will be DVRed and the beginning and end will be watched.

Posted by: nairbsod | March 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

@#$@#$ I really wish I could post on Ives' site.

It's not that @#$@#$ hot in Atlanta!!!! During the summer, compare DC's temp to Atlanta's! Almost the same average highs!!!!

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Why not? It's been 145 years since the last one....

Posted by: fischy

or 5 days...

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 12:06 PM
=====================

That would be the SOVIET Union...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 24, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I'll be watching, and looking forward to a good game. That said, like bearcox13, I'll be pulling for a cruise missile to interrupt a 0-0 game in the 89th...

Posted by: dcbird | March 24, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to join the fantasy league, and I see Argy-Bargy Outsiders, not Insiders, is that the right one?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I see now. Someone made "Outsiders" for people who couldn't get into the "Insiders" league. Alright, I get it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

What's a dll file?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor

You are soooooo lucky....

Posted by: goldenpack | March 24, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

This month's American Airlines inflight mag has a full page ad for the kick-off game on the inside of the front cover. Of course, AA is MLS's airline sponsor, but still I was pleasantly surprised to see it so prominently featured.

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 24, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'll race home to catch the second half, at least.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 24, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

something to look forward to since all MLS teams crashed out of Concacaf.

Posted by: godpere | March 24, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@jacob, there is some info in the last thread about a new fantasy game also being opened up on the ESPN site. Passwords, etc. there too.

I might have to pick a team for that one this afternoon.

Yeah, I'll be watching the game, and marveling at how much louder the games sound with them amplifying the crowd noise through the P.A. system at Qwest. Look for the dude with the MICROPHONE in the ECS... LOL. It's a damn shame Fred won't be able to play. Wonder who's going to lead the attack for the PU?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Why not? It's been 145 years since the last one....

Posted by: fischy

or 5 days...

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 12:06 PM
=====================

That would be the SOVIET Union...
---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------

??? Are you suggesting the Soviet Union was around 145 years ago? Or, did you mean it was around 5 days ago..?

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

fischy, my friend, if that went over your head, there is nothing I can do to explain it to you.

But I like your "Big in Japan" reference. Nothing like a little Alphaville on the Ipod during a morning run.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 24, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I like college hoops, too.

Whether I watch the MLS kickoff live or recorded probably depends on how exciting the NCAA tournament games are. But I will watch.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Soccer America just sent its subscribers a list of soccer-friendly watering holes in the various and sundry MLS metropoles. For this area, they included the usual suspects (Summers, Lucky Bar, etc.), but they also mentioned a joint that I had never heard of: Continental Modern Pool Lounge in Rosslyn. Does anyone know anything about this establishment?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 24, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Re: Continental Modern Pool Lounge. Dunno much yet. Going for the first time on Saturday--that is where the Screaming Eagles are having their kick off shindig to watch Saturday's match. The have skeeball!

Posted by: Sec131 | March 24, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I begin work at 7am, so it's unlikely I will watch much of the match live ... Will be interesting to see the new Philly side!

Posted by: mgilham | March 24, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow will actually be pretty tough for me in terms of TV watching, since I have not only March Madness (c'mon Butler, represent the Horizon League!) and First Kick on my to-watch list...there's also a new "FlashForward" and "Grey's Anatomy."

Right now I am leaning toward dual streams (MMOD and ATDHE) and letting ABC hang until Friday night, when I can watch both new episodes online.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 24, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

270:

Wasn't it great when Seattle invented MLS last year? What a great thing to do for everyone else!

It does leave me wondering what I was doing with my Saturdays over the previous 14 years, though. Weird.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 24, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Seattle also invented hills. Everywhere you go is uphill. Same thing for the return trip.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"Argy Bargy Outsiders" for those left out of the "Argy Bargy Insiders" mfls.com league

password: united

Posted by: Brian76 | March 24, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"the runaway attendance leaders in 2009"

So that explains what all those gutter punx asking for spare change on Broadway are spending their dough on... It's good to see that an MLS club can have such a positive impact in the community. Those poor kids used to spend their days shooting black tar and eating their meth, now look at em!.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2010 4:57 PM
====================

DudeRyan, are you referring to Seattle, or Westfields High School?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 24, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh Westfields... There's always room for upper middle class kids with oblivious parents and teachers to get into slanging dope.
Enterprising little whipper snappers eh?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 24, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll be watching the Caps followed by the MLS Opener. I stop watching college basketball once George Mason's season ends.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 25, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse