Positive signs in MLS labor dispute

Five days before the season is scheduled to begin, MLS and the players' union appear to have reached an accord in their protracted negotiations concerning a new collective bargaining agreement and averted a strike.

The league has scheduled a media teleconference for 1 p.m. today. Participants include Commissioner Don Garber, union executive director Bob Foose and federal mediator George Cohen.

The sides met for an estimated 16 hours Thursday in Washington and were in talks much of Friday. Players from each of the 16 clubs were in attendance. The fact that they are willing to discuss matters publicly today -- there was a distinct possibility that discussions would continue through Sunday -- is clearly a good sign. After all, the "C" in D.C. stands for "Compromise."

For real-time updates, follow the Insider's Twitter page at 1 p.m.

By Steve Goff  |  March 20, 2010; 11:28 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS, American abroad, World Cup bids
Next: MLS, players' union reach deal, avert strike

Comments

Hoorayyy!!!

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | March 20, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

2nd. ... Fingers crossed for 1 pm

Posted by: tcbannon | March 20, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Thank the Lord.

If this is the case, I will be online later this afternoon booking the cross-country travel for my annual MLS stadium tour. My heart is thrilled; my bank account is gonna be PISSED.

Posted by: ChristopherMc | March 20, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Good, I was beginning to feel like an idiot for paying off my whole season ticket balance instead of doing the six easy payments. Wait, I'm still an idiot for not doing the six easy payments.

Posted by: dccal | March 20, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Much better. I just wish the players got what they wanted. Very good news indeed! Thanks Steven for keeping us up to date.

Posted by: DiegoMaradona | March 20, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Great news. I just hope the players got what they wanted and deserved. Thanks Steven for keeping us informed up to the minute. Very good job.

Posted by: DiegoMaradona | March 20, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who got what. I just want the season to start on time.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 20, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm still not thrilled to see what DCU puts on the field next week.

Posted by: Reignking | March 20, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

so if this is resolved, what will the ideologues on both sides rant about now? probably the same things, since ideologues rarely need a reason to rant...

Posted by: troy6 | March 20, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I noticed goal.com quoting the Red Bulls coach wrt the coming season, which youngsters are making an impression, etc. I have not seen many words from Onalfo here. Goff, what's the story? Does Curt not have much to say to the press, or is it not worth reporting? Or has it been here, and I've simply been Mr. Oblivious. Again.

Posted by: glfrazier | March 20, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

270: Columbia? tsk, tsk. you have localitis. ;-)

Posted by: troy6 | March 20, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

This is GREAT news. I think a strike would have been a disaster for the players, the owners, the league and the fans. It is hard enough for the casual soccer fan to stay in tune with MLS and a strike would have made them quit trying!!

Posted by: therealfan | March 20, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

7 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 20, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

What's the "D" stand for?

15 minutes to go. There are only 2 things they might be announcing. A deal is the more likely, since it's the league doing the announcing....

I guess George H. Cohen will have to be included in the Pantheon of American soccer heroes...or in the Soccer Hal of Fame, wherever that will be...

Posted by: fischy | March 20, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

re: Onalfo on roster, etc:

Consider Onalfo's age, and that he may be more sensitive to the situations of players whose roles or roster spots are on the bubble. (Not to mention his own position, with possibly draconian moves to come which may or may not relate to a player's work in camp).

It also may be he's new to the job, and not (yet) in the habit of calling Steve with every thought....

Or, he's just not much of a yapper.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 20, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Live audio of the press conference:

Posted by: benonthehill | March 20, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

You can here it live at MLSnet.com

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | March 20, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

*hear

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | March 20, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

All I hear is some lively music

Posted by: fischy | March 20, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

They said it'd be another 6-7 minutes about 5 minutes ago.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 20, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Sure sounds to me like an official agreement has been reached. I've heard that contracts will be guaranteed, but only that movement within the league was "improved."

The mediator has noted that this is the 75th anniversary of the Wagner Act, which relates to collective bargaining.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 20, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Goffer gets the third question for the "lovely parties"...first quetions are from Grant Wahl and Beau Dure.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 20, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

The unemployed Dure...

Posted by: Reignking | March 20, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

OMG Hull blew it...

Posted by: Reignking | March 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

A re-entry draft? Really? Hate to be criticizing what they've done...it will provide a way to change teams, but gives the players as little control as they have when they're entering the amateur draft.

Posted by: fischy | March 20, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

fischy -- it certainly sounds like that, but since Foose et. al. went for it (actually, at one point, I got the impression it was their idea for compromise), it may not work quite like we imagine. We'll have to check the details when they come out.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 20, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

7 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 20, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Ok. So I'm a little excited.

Posted by: Curious99 | March 20, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

wow, this is really great. I have actually been having sleepless nights wondering what would happen. I experienced firsthand the dissolution of NASL and I believe a strike would have severely hampered efforts to build on the continuing enthusiasm/brand of MLS. beyond the posturing, it is important for the owners to be able to make a profit and the players need to be better compensated both because their dedication but becuase we need better salaries to ensure good quality players. now, if congress/obama can pass healthcare my spring will be complete...

Posted by: ananda001 | March 20, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse