Saturday kickaround

*Curt Onalfo makes his D.C. United coaching debut in a familiar place.

*DCU formally announced the acquisition of veteran defender Carey Talley and rookie back Barry Rice.

*The gloomy weather outlook for the United-Wizards match.

*Omar Cummings scored in the 55th minute as Colorado claimed a 1-0 victory over Chivas USA in front of 18,658, including U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley, at Home Depot Center.

*Seattle's Freddie Ljungberg reflects on a bruising opener against Philadelphia.

"Only negative off the game was their tackles from behind. Just something you don't do as your opponent has no way of protecting themselves. Thankfully one of their guys got sent off but could've been more."

*American forward Charlie Davies, back with French club Sochaux after recovering from injuries suffered in a car wreck in October, discusses his rehabilitation, conditioning and desire to return to the national team.

*Paraguay star Salvador Cabanas, who was shot in the head in January, is making steady progress in his quest to return for the World Cup.

*The Honduran manager is unhappy about unpaid bonuses.

*The story broke here the other day and is not now official: 2006 MLS MVP Christian Gomez has joined Miami FC in the second division.

I'm off to Kansas City. I'll rejoin you from CommunityAmerica Ballpark tonight.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , D.C. United , MLS , USA 2nd division
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Countdown to D.C. United opener
Next: Emilio returning to MLS?

Comments

Interesting. Ljungberg complains about tackles from behind and Nowak complains about diving. An interesting illustrating of perspective.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 27, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I wish Gomez well, too bad the head man in Miami is Clavijo.

Posted by: griffin1108 | March 27, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

for the posters who inquired earlier about the free preview on MLS Direct Kick this weekend, it is in effect again this first week of the new season.
I have FiosTV and was able to find the match before the 10:30 EDT kickoff, though there was no listing of the match on the system guide.

Posted by: terpfan4141 | March 27, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

All I saw of the Sounders-Union game was the highlights, but what they showed were some evil hits. To call them tackles is generous--a flying knee-first pounding to the small of the opponent's back is not something you see every day on the soccer pitch. Ugly stuff.

Posted by: glfrazier | March 27, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm still baffled by this freeview thing. I was at my neighbor's last night and couldn't find the game on his FIOS. Were we just too drunk to figure it out? We've got people saying they found it and we also have people saying that for some odd reason isn't being broadcast on FIOS.

Can someone clarify?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

*Watch DC take on Philly's "other" name-stealing pro soccer expansion franchise TODAY at 4:00PM in Boyds.

(Goff was either so excited about the game he failed to mention it, or is working on the detailed preview for a separate entry to be published any minute now, or the Freedom promoted the game SO well and so heavily that there's no need to even bring it up!)

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 27, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

So, according to the video box on the article about today's game, Onalfo coaches in WPL. What, is he now doing double coaching duties or something? Get it right Post peeps...

Posted by: beergorila | March 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

10 hours until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 27, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

A lot of the flounders are drama queens. Monty and lunchberg are the main two

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 27, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

1) Davies knows how to put a smile on my face.

2) Those are pretty good stats for a couple of defenders.

3) Clavijo is still paid to do what he does?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 27, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

in case anyone is interested, MLS has a new shadow (yet official website) with fancier website design www.mlssoccer.com

On the site you can get a "preview" of the Rapids / Chivas game from last night. I guess they haven't worked all the kinks out of the new site yet.

Posted by: diego_r | March 27, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Mr Gorilla: WPL stands for Washington Post Live and not Women's Professional Lacrosse

Posted by: diego_r | March 27, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

So under the TV info on DCU's game preview website (http://www.dcunited.com/news/2010/03/match-preview-kc-wizards-vs-dc-united) it says:

TV info
8:30 p.m. E.S.T (Direct Kick, dcunited.com)

Does this mean we can watch it on dcunited.com?? Please enlighten me so I don't have to spend money... college student here.

Posted by: SexyOffender | March 27, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Another good sign for the US MNT, both Dempsey and Jozy are starting today.

Posted by: glfrazier | March 27, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking, as I set up Netflix on my Wii, that if MLS wanted to have an integrated, multi-platform, interface with cross-talk between sponsors and outlets (did I get the jargon right?), they would make live streaming of the games available on XBox. People with XBoxes could watch the games for whatever it costs on the website and fans thinking about which game system to buy would lean towards the Microsoft product. Of course, that wouldn't make me go buy an XBox.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@Sexy (it kinda creeps me out to write that, but chacon a son gout) -- I'm guessing if you find a link at dcunited.com it's connecting you to MLS' internet feed, which is not free. I have no idea about finding the Direct Kick. I tired looking for it on my FiOS system after watching a movie, at midnight. Nothing, If anyone who had more luck with it last night, could enlighten us -- channels and such?

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping WPL stood for Wimpy's Premier League....

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't have FIOS, but someone posted the following on bigsoccer

"Go to channel 1499 - that lists all the MLS games (on game day only - that is important to remember). For example, for today's games, it has listed the 4pm match with Columbus and Toronto on Channel 10 (1499) and DC/KC on Channel 9 (1498) at 8:30"

Posted by: emanon13 | March 27, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

If Talley and Rice are signed does that mean the roster is full and the other trialists didn't make it or is there room for more signings?

More confusing but potentially useful info on tonight's TV front:

Someone yesterday (sorry, I forgot who) thought the game would be free tonight for Comcast Digital Cable subscribers on Channel 760. I just checked out the channel and although it calls itself NBA League Pass it's graphic shows an MLS game at 4pm and the KC-DC game at 830 pm.

Don't know whether it will be free but I will check that channel this evening.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 27, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If MLS wants to stop looking like a bush league, the have to update the scores on their website. On the new site, the Chivas-Colorado score doesn't show up. What a shyte site.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 27, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

MLSSoccer.com is claiming to have a free preview of the MatchDay Live feature. I tried signing up, but they wanted my credit card info, etc. so I stopped....

This is frustrating. I went over to my buddies last night and we looked for the Direct Kick *freeview* only to not find it. Granted we'd already drank a lot of beer at that point, but it wasn't looking good from of FIOS standpoint. I'm going to check back in with the same dude this afternoon when the 4pm game comes on. If it's still not there it looks like I'll be saddling up my horse and riding down to the Continental this evening. Really can't afford the bar, but I really don't want to miss the match.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Vamos United!! La Barra Brava!!!
Lets get it ON!!!

Posted by: zosodave | March 27, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Well, I've got an unwatchably jumpy feed, along with the audio from an entirely different game, but it seems Altidore is the MOTM against Fulham. Earned a PK, also drew a couple of other yellows (also got one of his own for stupidly interfering with a free kick).

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

any bars showing the game in montgomery county, please help!!! vamos united.

Posted by: koolcaio | March 27, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I have Fios in Fairfax County, and I can't see any MLS games on the channel guide in the section labeled for use by both the NBA league pass and MLS direct kick.

I just called Fios, and the rep said that if I ordered Direct Kick, the programs would be in the channel guide. Strangely enough, I dont' have NBA league pass, yet those games all are in the guide!

Anyway, I asked about the "freeview" and after some time on hold, I was told that Fios was informed by MLS that the freeview was canceled.

Now I don't believe any of that, but I do believe that those of us with Fios aren't going to see any MLS Direct Kick games this weekend without paying, and even then you may be taking your chances.

Posted by: CDRHoek | March 27, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@CDRHoek: May I ask what number (and or sequence of automated directory numbers) did you call. I'm having a heck of a time using the 888-553-1555 number someone posted yesterday. Thanks.

Posted by: Truckr | March 27, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

For those interested about Match Day Live, I was billed for the cost of the service despite being a free trial.

It's a big upgrade from last season and worth the extra $20. This year it includes a chatroom, field tracker (shots, fouls, etc.) with clickable highlights, DVR features (pause, play, rewind, jump to goal/shot), time compressed games. Matches stream between 400Kb/s to 2200 Kb/s, last year maxed out at 800 Kb.

Last night there were a few problems, the game kept buffering on all stream choices. It got much better towards the middle of the first half. It also helps to keep the stream setting to "Adaptive." I was able to switch to the 2200 stream for the second half with only one buffering issue. The chatroom worked before the start of the match but it kicked everyone out and didn't come back on until midway through the first half. The field tracker started working midway through the second half. Stats started updating a few minutes before the end of the match.

Posted by: addick | March 27, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Does United not televise their matches or something?

Posted by: SoundersMob | March 27, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ref Salazar did a poor job in the Seattle v Philly game. Too many broad-side and rear-end tackles went unpunished. JP & Harkes did another great job as ESPN commentators by suffocating the game and promoting a mediocre match as something better. A pitiful duo.

Posted by: juke2 | March 27, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@SOunderMob -- United has a deal with Comcast, which also televises lots of other stuff including Caps and Wizards on the same channel. Those games have priority in the contract., so several games are not televised.

Posted by: fischy | March 27, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Verizon FiOS users - Let me hopefully save you from the frustration I experienced. If you want to call and order Direct Kick today, I recommend calling the following number: 888-438-3467.

I waited about 7 minutes on hold (due to high caller volume) but, unlike earlier attempts today, at least there was not a maze of automated directories to navigate, I was not connected to a tech support person in India, and I was not told that I'd have to wait till Monday because the East Coast was updating its system this weekend. This time the rep at the above number, which I found from a year old advert for Direct Kick on Verizon, hooked me up (for $79) with no difficulties.

He promised it would be working by the 4:00 game and, more importantly, for the 8:30 DCU game tonight.

Posted by: Truckr | March 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@addick: I too was billed when attempting to register for the free MLSnet Match Day Live, only to find out that the new Silverlight player is not supported by either Firefox or Safari (even after downloading Microsoft plug-ins) because I'm running a somewhat older Mac with a PowerPC chip. Newer Macs with Intel chips may be okay. I'm now attempting to cancel my $40 subscription.

Posted by: Truckr | March 27, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@fischy - Wow, that really sucks. A lot. Has it always been that way? Does United not have a local partnership? You'd think that would be something MLS would really push for. You shouldn't have to buy Direct Kick just to watch your own team.

Posted by: SoundersMob | March 27, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Re: FIOS/DirectKick. The program guide won't be any help but you will find Columbus-Toronto on right now on channel 1499. DC United-KC will be on 1498.

Posted by: AlwaysBiking | March 27, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Unless it's not. I guess there isn't a free preview. I'm on 1499 right now and get the you're not subscribed message.

Posted by: owendylan | March 27, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Comcast (Arlington) lists the DC United game on channel 759 tonight at 8:30. Let's hope the Blackout restrictions are not in effect. Guess I'll order MatchDay Live if they are.

Toronto vs Columbus on channel 760 is on right now.

Posted by: DCUfan14 | March 27, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

@SoundersMob, I'm not sure it's always been "this way" but in all honesty I think Comcast does a pretty good job, even broadcasting in HD at times. It seems that in the beginning of the season, with the Caps in full swing, March Madness, Wizards basketball, etc. they have different priorities. The beginning of the season and the end of the season are often similar in that you are left with little choice to see some games unless you go out to RFK. I don't possess the earning power at the moment to have season tickets, so I have to carefully study the broadcast schedules to figure out exactly what games I'll essentially be forced to go to.

I know you guys have a great partnership with King/Kong and that's fantastic. If it wasn't for our crappy basketball team (Sonics for Life Baby) and our awesome hockey team United probably wouldn't be stuck in this predicament. Don't even get us started about them canceling United matches to broadcast preseason Skins games.....

Posted by: DadRyan | March 27, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Verizon/FiOS - Not a happy customer. It's not on free-view here in Fairfax Co. Spent hours on phone today - bottom line, if you didn't order it yesterday good luck, the system keeps dropping my order and it will take 3-5 days to correct. I'm headed to Kilroys!

Posted by: Truckr | March 27, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, FIOS. My wife is working tonight so I can't leave the house to watch at a bar while my kid is sleeping upstairs. Way to ruin the season opener. And while we're at it, thanks for not carrying FSC and FSP in HD. Stupid FIOS.

Can an eloquent someone vividly describe each Moreno and Pontius goal? I'll be okay after the first 3 or 4, unless they do something Messi-esque. VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: daandre3 | March 27, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diego_r | March 27, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

so much for my attempt at snark..

Posted by: beergorila | March 28, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse