Thursday kickaround

*Mexico was held to a scoreless draw by Iceland in front of more than 63,000 in North Carolina. The Charlotte Observer sets the scene. Said Iceland Manager Olafur Johannesson: "Normally, my players play in Iceland in front of 1,000 people. This was a very new experience for them. They're going to remember this the rest of their lives."

*Univision outlines its massive plans for World Cup coverage.

*While USA midfielder Michael Bradley underwent surgery for a broken nose that will sideline him for about a week, his father received a national award.

*Vanity Fair takes in Red Bull Arena.

*Will Christian Gomez, the former D.C. United playmaker who was not offered a new contract this season, turn up in the reorganized U.S. second division? That's the buzz. An Argentine in Miami would be a nice fit.

*United defensive trialist Daniel Woolard, in competition with several others for the final roster slots, is sidelined with a leg injury.

For MLS predictions, Americans abroad and TV listings.....

*My predicted orders of finish in MLS (as seen in The Post today):

MF Maurice Edu 90 in Rangers' 1-0 Scottish Cup loss at Dundee
MF DaMarcus Beasley 90 for Rangers
GK Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 1-1 tie with Sunderland
GK Brad Guzan didn't play for Villa
D Jay DeMerit 90 in Watford's 2-1 loss at Sheffield Wednesday
D Frank Simek in 18, didn't play for Sheffield
(Charlie Davies' Sochaux was ousted by Monaco in French Cup quarterfinals by Monaco, 4-3)

*Soccer on TV:
Argentina, Boca Juniors-River Plate 2:30 p.m. ET, Fox Sports Espanol (Fox Soccer Channel at 8 p.m.)

Spain, Getafe-Real Madrid 3 p.m. GolTV
Italy, Napoli-Juventus 3:30 p.m. FSC
Spain, Atletico Madrid-Bilbao 5 p.m. GolTV
Libertadores, Velez Sarsfield-Colo Colo 6 p.m. FSE
Libertadores, Quito-Emelec 8 p.m. FSE
MLS, Seattle-Philadelphia 9:30 p.m. ESPN2, ESPN Deportes
Libertadores, Racing-Independiente Medellin 10:30 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  March 25, 2010; 9:09 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , Germany , MLS , Mexico , USA 2nd division , USSF
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A few minutes with Bryan Namoff
Next: Toronto-Colorado trade in works

Comments

nice vanity fair article!

Posted by: mizage | March 25, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

ARGY BARGY!

Mancini v Moyes

Posted by: Kev29 | March 25, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Boca Junior v River Plate, great rivelry. It's up there with Inter v AC Milan, Rangers v Celtic, Real Madrid v Barca, Redskins v Cowbums etc.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 25, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Woooops, how could I forget Mexico and Iceland in my dArby list.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 25, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

63k? Nice showing, Charlotte!

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Excellennt turnnout inn Nnorth Carolinna. Clearly, the ssecret lies with Charlotte.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 25, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

ONE LAST FANTASY REMINDER! We were able to merge the Argy Bargy Insiders with the Argy Bargy Outsiders. Last time I checked there were about 30 more slots for teams in our division if anyone wants to join.Go to mfls.com, register a team and sign up for our division. I think the pass word is still: united.

I did register a team on the ESPN fantasy, but boy that game is screwed up! No Christian Castillo?

Stoked to see Univision stepping it up like that. I wouldn't be surprised if I opt to watch half the matches on there...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Thor, it's t-e-r-r-i-f-i-c.

Hope Gomez gets that job.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 25, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know there were 60,000 Iclanders in S Carolina.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 25, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

am I missing something about Chicago? they lost 3 of their best players (Blanco, Rolfe, Segares), have a new coach, and just dumped their starting keeper less than a week before the start of the season, yet they are no lower than 2nd in all the predictions I've seen. is the East just predicted to be that bad this year?

Posted by: VTUnited | March 25, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

1. Bob Bradley only got that award because his son is the starting central midfielder for the US National Team and in the Bundesliga.

2. The Red Bulls should hope Lindsey Vonn shows up more often. Good article in VF.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 25, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be nice if all those Mexican-Americans supported the national team of their own country.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 25, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

There aren't, 9Nine9. Charlotte is in North Carolina.

Anyway, caught most of the game on TV, and it was a pretty lively if somewhat sloppy affair. Mexico clearly had the standard makeshift-B-squad issues -- not always in sync, mistimed runs, etc.

Iceland was actually impressive, at least given the expectations I had. Hard-working team with a surprising amount of flair. The 0-0 scoreline is their fault, though -- they parked the bus way too often, which is a bit disappointing for a meaningless exhibition game from a team that isn't tuning up for the World Cup or anything.

Posted by: ChristopherMc | March 25, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

That's great for the Univision coverage (for us latinos in da house!), the only problem is their on-air talent. I mean I really can do without that clown Fernando Fiore, and the other pair of clowns "la torre de Jalisco" and old-guy Bracamonte, they really, really, really get on my nerves, their entire concept is so mexican oriented is really sickening. If Univision could only get better on-air talent, like getting Andres Cantor back again, or Jorge Ramos, or Sammy Sadovnick (they are mexican-oriented too, but they are not that obvious and know way more about soccer than those three clowns), if only, but I digress. Univision in HD is nice and all, but I think I'm sticking to ESPN for the WC. (I don't know if DirecTV will carry Univision HD anyways).

Posted by: WillyJoel | March 25, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Who has Univision HD? DirecTV and DISH? Shame that Comcast does not - but I won't be complaining about all the games in HD on ESPN with Martin Tyler calling some of them.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 25, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WillyJoel
==============

They're still going to have those ladies in the skimpy outfits in HD, right? So what are you complaining about?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan |

Not happy about that -- I'm expecting good things from him this year.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'll pick DC for third in the east, which is much weaker than the west. MLS has enough teams to be really interesting now. Allow me to go out on a limb:

New England will be bad. I know Steve Nicol has a great track record. But they're losing players (including now to injury) so fast.

New York will be good. I think they've finally found their identity: they are the European team I hate the most.

Posted by: hungrypug | March 25, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Was anyone ever able to determine whether we Verizon FiOS subscribers will have access to Direct Kick (Freeview or other wise) this weekend for the season opener?

Posted by: jburksva | March 25, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I will also plug The Black & The Red division of MFLS. I run an FA Cup style competition concurrently with the MFLS league. No additional work required, just additional chances to talk trash with your rivals. We also provide teams to compete in MFLS wide Champions League and Cup Winners Cup competitions. The Division has been in play since 2002. I only have 3 slots left in the field of 32, so if you'd like to get in on this long running league, go here for the password.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | March 25, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm creating a 2nd mfls team...I don't know why, because I hate this interface.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Best tackle of the night, from Charlotte:

Posted by: vernlyon | March 25, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Who is going to be Chicago's starting keeper since J. Busch is out?

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

If you are going to run onto the pitch, have the decency to be indecent so that it can be called streaking.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WillyJoel

I hear you! I remember the days of Andres Cantor and his Sunday show, Titulares Deportivo. It was an ESPN Sport Center in Spanish. She stoopid Republica bar scene show is STOOPID.

If I want t&a I go to MTV.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 25, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey Reignking - FYI, they're watching out for dual-team managers and getting rid of the second team...check the MFLS forum.

Posted by: combedge | March 25, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@ delantero...Andrew Dykstra (Osbourn Park HS grad, btw) is the new Fire 'keeper.

Posted by: combedge | March 25, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Best tackle of the night, from Charlotte:

Posted by: vernlyon | March 25, 2010 10:51 AM

That just made my morning. And fair play to Telemundo for showing the whole thing and not ignoring it like other US networks.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 25, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

It's been brought to my attention that the password for Argy Bargy Insiders was changed when we made the merger...

stella

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

The Argentina BJ-RP game is the remaining 80 minutes from the rain-delayed one over the weekend, right?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | March 25, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Andrew Dykstra (Osbourn Park HS grad, btw) is the new Fire 'keeper. Posted by: combedge

Ok, thanks. Don't tell anybody else.

Posted by: delantero | March 25, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

David James "highlight" v Didier Drogba yesterday:

Due to copyright issues this seems to have been filled from someone's cellphone in a bar. But it's still fun to watch!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 25, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: combedge

Thanks -- I didn't even know there was a forum. I don't think that will be a problem, though. They will be in two divisions, two different teams. I hope. Nothing shady about it.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Well, Dykstra, for the time being.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@jburksva -- My question was whether the entire weekend would be free -- watch DCU in my own friendly confines, or find a bar? If the weekend is free on Direct Kick (not just Friday's game), I'm sure it would be that way on all providers.

@VTUnited -- With Chicago, the expectation is they might know what they're doing. Either Dykstra's really good, or they're getting Montes. I don't know they'll miss Rolfe, having replaced him with a more versatile player in Martinez. Also, until Nkufo joins Seattle, Collins John is probably the biggest off-season striker signing. They'll definitely miss Blanco and slip some, but will they slip down to the rest of the pack?

Not that y'all will be impressed, but I am in 100% agreement with Soccer America's choices in the East. I think Goffer is giving New England too much credit. They might top Toronto for 5th place, if Twellman can come back -- or if Schilawski plays in the regular season like he did in exhibitions -- they might even give NY a run for the money at 4th place, but 5th or 6th sounds about right for them.

I like United for 3rd place, but it's still a thin lineup. If we have the injuries we've had in recent years -- forget about it. I am presuming, also, that there will be one or two big signings for DCU this offseason. Yeah, we don't know exact cap #s, but DCU has to have gobs of cap room right now. I figure NY, DC and maybe Chicago will make DP-type moves this summer.

I think I'm closer to Soccer America's picks in the West, too -- except I think Goff and the mag are both selling Chivas way too short. I see them in 5th place, challenging for a playoff spot.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

@ WillyJoel

I totally agree about the heavy Mexican slant and style of those Univision announcers. It's really sickening how heavy the slather on the Mexicanismos. I _think_ Andres Cantor will be with Telemundo, and I'm not sure I get that on my basic cable.

Posted by: WorldCup | March 25, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

stella
Posted by: DadRyan
=============

Hey STELLAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I joined the Black and Red division in MFLS. looks like I got the last spot.

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | March 25, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

@Fischy My question was not specifically whether it would be free, but whether it is offered on Verizon FiOS AT ALL. According to the mlsnet.com press release, "Major League Soccer has collaborated with all three providers [DirecTV, Dish Net, inDemand] to offer a FREE PREVIEW period, Saturday, March 21, during the opening weekend of the season known as MLS First Kick presented by Dick's Sporting Goods." So if you have ACCESS to Direct Kick from your provider, you should be good to go for Saturday's game.

The issue is, inDemand on Verizon FiOS appears to be something akin to what Versus was on DirecTV. The channel is owned by a consortium of cable operators and it appears they are making it prohibitively expensive for Verizon to offer Direct Kick to their customers. The package is not listed under their sports plan offerings, and even though it shares a channel in name with NBA League Pass, there are no MLS games appearing in the FiOS program guide. Not looking too promising for us Verizon customers.

Posted by: jburksva | March 25, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

On Gomito -- I'm sure he wants to play some more soccer, so I hope he lands somewhere that gives him that feeling... I can't imagine Miami is paying that much -- I'm just thinking that at whatever Miami is paying him there ought to be some MLS team which could use him....including his old one.

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

that could just be an oversight. Did you call Verizon to ask? The other sports packages are also inDemand are they not? And they are available on FiOS. We always had this issue at the beginning of the season with Comcast as well. No one knew anything about it unless you called several times and spoke to the one guy who knew what you were talking about. And you had to do it the day before the season started because they never had "the codes" until then.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 25, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with soccer america, I think we finish third with New England sinking down due to their player losses and stagnation, while New York does enough to finish comfortably in the playoffs.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 25, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@jburks -- Bad news. I didn't know this...but, you're right. Direct Kick is not a FiOS offering. Back to Plan B. Find a bar...

Posted by: fischy | March 25, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@fischy - Barra are are Molly Malone's on 8th Street SE, Eagles are at Continental Modern Pool Lounge in Rosslyn, and the Official Team Watch Party is at Blackfinn, near Farragut Square.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 25, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Glad Direct TV is offering a free preview. I can watch it at a bar now, instead of on my tiny computer.

Even though Chicago lost players I really like that they acquired Collins John. I can see them having the most dangerous strike force in MLS.

I like DC for 3rd/4th too. If we stay healthy I think DC does well. DC does have a thin lineup but it appears we have a young and possibly exciting lineup.

Can't wait for kickoff tonight. I think Seattle wins 2-0.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 25, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh and yes, the Telegraph in England has a write up on the NYRB's. They also have a few great pictures of the stadium from the Santos match. Of coarse they think Tchani is 29, but I will give them credit for trying to give press coverage to MLS.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 25, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

NE at 3? Heaps, Ralston, Larentowicz are gone. Twellman is MIA again. Reis is hurt. Cory Gibbs on turf.

I love preseason predictions -- they always look the same as last year's standings.

Posted by: Reignking | March 25, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

RE Direct Kick on FIOS

According to the FIOS forums, a rep said no preorders. Wiki and the rep still say FIOS carries Direct Kick. I wouldn't worry about the guide (which is aweful, just aweful) since that is provided by FYI and not Verizon. Try to order tomorrow and hope for the best.

Posted by: prokaryote | March 25, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

But we don't want to order it, we just want the free preview. I can't call anyone because I don't have FIOS, but I do have neighbors who like United and DO. What is the deal? Do I need to go to the stinking bar?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 25, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I just checked the standings. DC is indeed in third place.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 25, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

63,000 how I wish people would cheer for where they lived and worked, rather than their ancestry.

Posted by: njndirish | March 25, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan, Sorry, misunderstood. FIOS gets content through iNDEMAND, which is offering the free preview so I would expect it to be free. BUT if I wanted to guarantee seeing the one game Friday then I would go to the bar!

When I look at iNDEMAND's website, it just says come back for next season re DK.

Posted by: prokaryote | March 25, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse