Tuesday kickaround

*Landon Donovan would like to stay at Everton a little longer. Everton would certainly like to hold onto him. But the loan agreement between the Premier League club and the Los Angeles Galaxy requires Donovan to return to the States next week. What would you like to see happen?

*While league and union representatives meet again today in Washington for labor negotiations, the MLS season gets underway tonight in Columbus. Well, not the regular season -- that is still two-plus weeks away. The preseason Crew will host in-season Toluca (Mexico) in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals (8 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel). If the task wasn't daunting enough, Columbus will be without defenders Chad Marshall (hamstring) and Frankie Hejduk (suspension) and midfielder Guillermo Barros Schelotto (suspension). The penalties carry over from yellow cards accumulated in the previous round. The tournament format was switched to group play two years ago, but since the Galaxy reached the one-game final in 2000, no MLS team has advanced to the last stage. Since then, only clubs from Mexico (12 times) and Costa Rica (four) have played for the title.

*Americans abroad:
MFs Maurice Edu, DaMarcus Beasley and Rangers at Kilmarnock
D Jay DeMerit and Watford vs. Swansea
D Frankie Simek and Sheffield Wednesday at West Brom
F Kenny Cooper at Plymouth at QPR

For TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
UEFA, Fiorentina-Bayern Munich 2 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
UEFA, Arsenal-Porto 2:30 p.m. Comcast SportsNet/DC, Fox Sports Net, Fox Sports Espanol

England, Sunderland-Bolton 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Plus
Arsenal-Porto 5 p.m. (taped) FSC
Libertadores, Catolica-Universidad Chile 7 p.m. FSE
England, Portsmouth-Birmingham 7:30 p.m. FSP
CONCACAF, Columbus-Toluca 8 p.m. FSC, Galavision
Libertadores, Cuenca-Morelia 9:30 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  March 9, 2010; 9:56 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF Champions League , England , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS, USA women, Freedom and Terps updates
Next: Video: Great Pepsi World Cup ad

Comments

Hmmm - here's hoping the American Yellow Submarine doesn't get sunk tonight in the home leg.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 9, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I've become a fan of Landon since he started his loan at Everton, except when they defeated Man Utd. I would like to see him stay and possibly make it into a full time gig. It can only benefit the USMNT. Staying in LA only benefits MLS.

Posted by: peridigm | March 9, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

It took his Everton stay for you to become a fan of LD?

I think he should stay until the CBA is completed. He might not have a league to come back to.

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

That's really just asking whether or not you like Landon Donovan and the US MNT. Because if you support either, it is a no-brainer. Will a violinist get better playing for the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, or staying home and playing with the Pasadena Symphony and Pops?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 9, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Any news on how United players are faring in training camp? Who looks good and who's struggling? Any insight on alignments that might be employed or on possible acquistions that are being pursued? We love ya, Goff, but there's not much "insider" coverage lately.

Posted by: morecowbell | March 9, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Donovan should stay in the EPL. LA should negotiate for a big chunk of the transfer fee, a part of the jersey sales, and some of the royalties on Grant Wahl's next book.

Speaking of books, I picked up Soccernomics yesterday. Has anyone read it?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

It ain't like LD has a choice, CBA or no.

I'd like to see a Beckham/AC Milan type arrangement, where all sides, including MLS, benefit handsomely.

Everton doesn't have that Milan money, but if they think they have a real shot at the top 4 (they're 8 points out now), and LD represents their best chance, maybe they gamble/invest a couple of mil on an extension. Outright purchase is not going to happen.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 9, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Morecowbell,

United is in Mexico. I am in Washington. There was club news on the blog yesterday. Maybe more later today.

My deepest apologies,
SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | March 9, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"Will a violinist get better playing for the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, or staying home and playing with the Pasadena Symphony and Pops?" by OWNTF

If the Pops can't pay their members enough and guarantee their contracts it's only feasible that they will lose their best violinists to Euro heavyweights.

Posted by: Rosslyn45 | March 9, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF

Um...I don't know.

I-270: It is fantastic; I got it for my birthday. I love stats, and breaking things down with facts, and it is like Moneyball for soccer. The bits about Nottingham Forest, but especially Lyon (because it is more recent), are great. The one thing I love about baseball is that I can read a box score or statistics and really know if the player is an asset.

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Hope Donovan can stay a bit longer. MLS's future is too uncertain for their best domestic player to waste his time coming back here and dealing with a work stoppage when he's been tearing it up over there. It'll also only give the eurosnobs more ammo in their disses to this Mickey Mouse league.

I haven't started searching, but is there any definitive source for the broadcast scheduling for the CCL this time around? Last year was a pain in the back side trying to figure out what games were on what channel. There were of course a lot of them on FSC, but there were also some on Galavision(another channel I don't get) and then some random ones were on Telefutura and or Univision I think... I remember not being able to find a simple broadcast schedule on CONCACAF's crappy website.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I pity the poor musicians at Academy of St. Martin. Like DC United, they have no home and have to play in the fields.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

@morecowbell, EVERYONE knows Goff is busy covering college hoops this time of year... He'll have more time to cover DCU when March Madness is over.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

@270 - I liked it because it was about soccer, and they tell some stories that were new to me, but the writing is a bit weak, and some of their conclusions are a stretch to put it nicely.

Posted by: eadc | March 9, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

It's OK Senor Goff. I think we're all just looking forward to the end of college basketball so you can get back on the soccer/MLS/United beat full-time.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 9, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry, I won't "spoil" anything.

Like the Oakland A's, Lyon understood the rules of the game (the transfer market) and leveraged it to the best of their ability. Also, like the A's, they understand that they may succeed at a high level for a while, but it is extremely difficult to become champions.

Long-term (season) vs. short-term (2-match playoffs)

Posted by: Reignking | March 9, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

So, if Landyscones or Everton pay money to extend his loan deal until the end of the EPL season to help Everton and to be in the best possible shape for World Cup, will LA fans abuse him, his wife and kids, and hang him in effigy, etc. like they did with a certain Mr. Beckham?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | March 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

No, because Landon gave his all for the entire season at LA last year, was completely transparent about his loan plans with both the League/Galaxy and the fans, and hasn't pulled a Bret Favre by using the European tabloids to try to leverage a sale or loan extension.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 9, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Re: Soccernomics, I guess I enjoyed it because it's about soccer, but truthfully, many of the chapters suffer from the shakiness and/or incompleteness of the data being used. I did like the chapter on Lyon, and there were one or two other that stood out as more plausible/well-reasoned than the rest of the book. Definitely worth a quick read, but don't expect something on the level of Moneyball.

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 9, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I don't see how LA or MLS could afford to have that team's two highest-paid marquee players not play for the first half of the season. He should have just gone on a full transfer instead of a loan. Or he should have not signed a long-term deal with MLS.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 9, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

It's a no-brainer he should stay in the EPL. It would make sense to me that Everton pay to keep him until the end of their season, then ship him back to the Gals. He'll miss some early games, but he can step right in and not miss much of a beat.

Posted by: DrBeaker | March 9, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention Donovan is divorced and has no children to speak of.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Donovan, singing in the shower:

"Darling you gotta let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'til the end of time
So you got to let know
Should I stay or should I go?..."

The Clash, early 80s

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 9, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

This is twist on the club versus country disputes that take place mostly in Europe. Garber's interest is MLS. It doesn't matter to him that the best thing for the USA (and Donovan) in a World Cup year is for LD to continue playing for Everton. Some of Garber's actions are posturing to get good deals, but his real goal seems to be to keep the US's top players in MLS for as long as possible.

Posted by: Rhio | March 9, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Did you have to mention the shower?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 9, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

It took his Everton stay for you to become a fan of LD?
Posted by: Reignking
LMAO! I know someone who actually knows about soccer who doesn’t think Donovan should be on the USMNT. Roll that around in your head for a couple of minutes. Clearly, by now Donovan can say AYHSMB.
I think Donovan returns to LA but it’d really be a pretty dumb situation if he ends up sitting around in the event of a work stoppage. Having said that, there’s more opportunity for him to develop playing in the EPL (helping the USMNT) so I’d rather see that happen. If he does land there I’d much prefer to see him end up at Everton than Chelsea (there are a few rumors).

Not sure about Soccernomics, but I’m currently reading The Ball is Round which is absolutely superb (so far).

@Rand-al-Thor
Sounds like you're lost in the supermarket. :-)

Posted by: KireDCU | March 9, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Said violinist might not get better playing for the Pasadena Symphony (probably the classical music equivalent of playing in USL2), but an opportunity to play music for a world-class organization wouldn't necessarily mean needing to leave SoCal, since there is the LA Philharmonic. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 9, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

For Landon it would be good. But not if Everton doesn't pay what he's worth. And what he's worth is what the MLS is willing to let him go for. I can't imagine it would be less than Jozy's transfer fee, most likely double. Personally, I just want Landon to find a coach who can make sure he doesn't pull disappearing acts in big games, like WC 06, or against the Dutch just last week. Maybe EPL isn't the best place for him to learn to be that leader because no one is relying on him to really put the team on his shoulders and change the course of a game. Perhaps if we expect him to be Captain USA, he needs to be Captain for his club.

Posted by: SeanWG | March 9, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Donovan is a great player but for MLS he does not put fannies in seats. LA isn't going to sell any more tickets with him than without him. MLS should sell him to Everton or whoever the highest bidder might be and use that $ to develop more young talent.

That makes abundant sense. But this is MLS, so therein lies the problem. Donovan will be back with LA in a few days, his EPL days will be a fast-faded memory, and LA will be playing before half-empty HDC yet again whiole paying Donovan big bucks.

Posted by: Ron16 | March 9, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

We love ya, Goff, but there's not much "insider" coverage lately. Posted by: morecowbell

Wow. Don't bite the hand that feeds ya!

Or look at http://www.dcunited.com/

The site is improving. More info, etc

Posted by: delantero | March 9, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Clearly, Landon doesn't NEED Everton to play well. He came off of break in Hawaii, trained for a bit and started lightin' it up.

So, I wouldn't be worried about his WC if he happens to come back and play for the Gals.

Posted by: delantero | March 9, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@Kire: AYHSMB!?! Can everyone else who reads BSNYC raise their hands now?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I've asked this before, but I'll ask it again: Does anyone know the exact location of the MLS CBA negotiations? And is there anyone in this gang who is versed in black-bag arts, and who could plant a listening device or two at said location?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 9, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

BaRRD +1

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 9, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Ron16 - LD may not be the seat filler Beckham is, but I recall very well a pre-Beckham Galaxy game at RFK that was very well attended and the most common player jersey in evidence in the crowd was Donovan (based on my most-unscientific survey). Donovan is easily the most hyped US player in the league, so the league clearly feels he fills some seats, sells some jerseys and helps with ratings.

KireDCU - For me, the second half of The Ball is Round wasn't as good as the first half (sorry) but still worth the read.

Posted by: assocfoot | March 9, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

How about these guys?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 9, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

The Gals have consistently averaged 20K or more out of 27K butts in seats over the entire HDC era, including the time before either Donovan or Beckham was aboard.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 9, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan:

Glad to see someone else wants to watch all the CCL games, and not just the ones with MLS teams. Here's the schedule, as far as I know:

3/9: Columbus vs. Toluca, 8pm, FSC
3/10: Marathon vs. Pumas, 8pm, Galavision
3/10: Comunicaciones vs. Pachuca, 10pm, Galavision
3/11: Arabe Unido vs. Cruz Azul, 8pm, TeleFutura

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 9, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I've been a fan of Landon since I taped a metrosexual picture of him drinking from a water fountain to the back of my jersey for the DCU/Galaxy game out here last year and, after the game was finished, went up to Landon and showed him said picture.

He had a good laugh about it.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 9, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Can everyone else who reads BSNYC raise their hands now?
Posted by: DadRyan

I have no clue what BSNYC is, I picked it up from Japers'.

Posted by: KireDCU | March 9, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Donovan should come home before someone purposely hurts him over there as his skills continue to grow and make the "world best" look like chumps...He does not need to be in Europe to prove he can play at that level, he needs to do it in South Africa!

Posted by: alan19 | March 9, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

That's weird. AYHSMB is something deeply ingrained at BikeSnobNYC.blogspot.com.... CROSSOVER!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 9, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Donovan should stay in England. He is much better off and will be better for the US in the World Cup if he stays. I know Arena wants him back, but if there is anyway Donovan can wrangle his contract, he should stay. If Moyes ever needed to make an offer someone couldn't refuse, now is the time.

Posted by: decdos | March 10, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse