Early Tuesday kickaround

*As of Monday afternoon, D.C. United had sold about 13,000 tickets for Saturday's home opener against the New England Revolution at RFK Stadium. With nice weather expected and a possible strong walk-up crowd from the Salvadoran community to see newcomer Christian Castillo, the evening match should draw between 15,000 and 20,000.

*Juan Manuel Peña has returned to Washington after finalizing paperwork in Spain and will resume training with the club Tuesday. He is expected to start in central defense with Dejan Jakovic on Saturday.

*Cristian Arrieta, a 30-year-old defender with the second-division Puerto Rico Islanders, has begun a trial with the Philadelphia Union, his agent and club officials confirmed.

*Might Manchester United be the MLS All-Star Game opponent this summer in Houston?

*Americans abroad:
F Kenny Cooper and Plymouth vs. Barnsley
D Jay DeMerit and Watford vs. Crystal Palace
MFs Maurice Edu, DaMarcus Beasley for Rangers at St. Johnstone

For TV listings.....

*Soccer on TV:
UEFA Champions League quarterfinal first leg, Bayern Munich-Manchester United 2:30 p.m. ET, Comcast SportsNet/DC, Fox Sports Net, Fox Sports Espanol (tape at 5 on Fox Soccer Channel)

UEFA Champions League quarterfinal first leg, Lyon-Bordeaux 2:30 p.m. FSC (tape at 5 on FSE, Fox Soccer Plus, Fox Sports Net)

Copa Libertadores, Libertad-Lanus 7 p.m. FSE

CONCACAF Champions League semifinal first leg, Toluca-Pachuca 10 p.m. FSC, Galavision

By Steve Goff  |  March 30, 2010; 12:50 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS news & notes, GolTV in HD, 90 for Bedoya
Next: MLS Cup awarded to Toronto

Comments

I'm glad it'll be a solid turnout. Hope the fans will spur the team on to victory. Wish I could be there..

Posted by: the_slammer | March 30, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Arrieta can flat-out play. Strong, fast, decent technique, and plenty of heart and desire. Someone in MLS should have already snapped him up. I'd be stunned if he didn't make Philly's squad as their new #1 right back. I'm not saying he's an all-star, but he's miles better than Myrie.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 30, 2010 1:06 AM | Report abuse

How weak is it that CCL Semi's are only available on BOX cable.! I'm so cheap!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 30, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

The only potential problem I would see with attendance would be that its Easter weekend, but otherwise, it should be an exciting atmosphere and match.

Posted by: revsfanindc | March 30, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

13,000 sold, expect 15-20,000 seems pretty low to me. I know there was about a 20% drop last year but Chivas is going to out draw United.

Posted by: decoi | March 30, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Considering the Red Sox are in town (35,000 going to that game), and it's the height of Cherry Blossoms, the Final Four will be played at the same time, and the team is coming off a 4-0 loss, anything over 15,000 would be pretty darn good.

As for United's attendance -- like their final record, I think a lot depends on what they're gonna do with all that cap room. The team needs a real goal-scoring forward, and have 2 or 3 holes in the midfield (depending on Simms' health). I'm betting they could fill at least 2 positions -- maybe 3, if they can spread the do-re-mi around. Of course, if they bring in a big name (or two), they'll see a jump in attendance.

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Chest -- If you know any DMs or strikers in the lower divisions that can "flat-out play", please contact the front office.

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2010 2:44 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Will you be starting up your "the good, the bad and the ugly" feature you used to do?

Posted by: tfoisie | March 30, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

I was reading the Houston Chronicle link, but got distracted by the video on the Dynamo Girl tryouts. If DC United had cheerleaders, would Steve be dedicated enough to try out for a story?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

@fischy

I mostly agree with you sentiments concerning our team needs, but you fail to mention the defense. I realize that last week was a make shift line up, but Pena is old and there is no telling when Namoff is coming back. I do not think that Talley is the short term answer either. Wallace looked awful as the left back. We are two to three starters (MF, F, and outside back right or left) players short of making the playoffs in my estimation. I don't recall seeing the Wizards score four goals in a long time.

Posted by: no_recess | March 30, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Big game for Watford today. Still way too close to the relegation zone for comfort. Watford going down would have to mean a Demerit move right? I know he loves the club, but he is far better than League 1 quality.

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | March 30, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell
-------------------------------------------
What Chest said.

I have seen Dude play a lot of the last couple years. I'm talking maybe over 70+matches between USL-1 and CCL.

The guy has faced not only clubs like Charleston and Montreal, Vancouver but Cruz Azul, Santos Laguna, Saprisa, Alajuela, etc. He held up better than most of the MLS defenders that I have seen face the same competition.

I know it seems like I say the same thing about the lower division guys when they try to make the move.

Arrieta could help the Union out.

He is very offensive minded and loves going forward (kind of like Bornstien). He contributed a lot to Islanders defensive and offense the last 2 years.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 30, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

15-20K ain't bad when you take into consideration that our team is putrid.

Posted by: Hoost | March 30, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see the Bayern - Man U game is going to be on CSN this afternoon. I already set the VCR but had no idea which matchup it would be taping.

I expect a pretty good crowd at RFK this weekend. Casual fans' turnout is influenced more by nice, warm weather than by cool, clammy performances in obscure non-televised places like Kansas City.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 30, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

despite the terrible start to the season, I'm excited about the home opener. How can ya not be? Spring, sunny, warm... it'll still be a great sports night in DC.

Posted by: DCB23 | March 30, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Bavaria today!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 30, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how watered down of a Man United we'll see in the summer (with so many World Cup players on that team). Not that I'll watch. It's still a... yawn... all-star game.

I found last week's game interesting in that we played with 3 defenders and gave up 4 goals. I thought Onalfo was all about a 4 man back line?

Posted by: TCompton | March 30, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"Casual fans' turnout is influenced more by nice, warm weather than by cool, clammy performances in obscure non-televised places like Kansas City."

Two thought on that: I heard at least one group of dudes trying to get drinks at the viewing party on Saturday night exclaim,"uh, I didn't even know that a United game was on tonight.."

Also, in talking to a Salvadoran girl I know who could only be considered a soccer fan if ES is playing, her ears perked up when I told her about Castillo a couple weeks ago. Stating that if a National team member was on DCU that she knew plenty of dudes, and chicks that would be more interested in checking it out.... Just sayin'.

I wonder if Najar's success could bring in more Catrachos? Maybe we'll see an influx of Australian soccer fans if Mick works out?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 30, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

TC -

Odd, I find the all star game to be the most watchable MLS game of the season. It certainly, by far, has the highest talent level.

And, where do you get that DCU played w/ three in the back? Jako, Talley, Simms (James 31), and Wallace (who, at least on paper, counts as a defender).

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 30, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

they went to a viewing party and didn't know there was a game to view? bartender, cut those guys off!

Posted by: troy6 | March 30, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ManOfLaMancha | March 30, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

LOL. Thats funny if true that Noonan is training with us. I dont put much stock in tribalfootball.

Which is better, Retread United or Free Waiver United? I can't decide.

Posted by: strago | March 30, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I thought Noonan was jogging with the Flounders?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 30, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Onalfo was interviewed on World Soccer Daily (http://www.wfdpremium.com).

Posted by: mizage | March 30, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Bavaria today!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 30, 2010 9:08 AM

Well you know what they say, 'With Bavaria today, invading Poland tomorrow' It's a slippery slope ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | March 30, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

From the tribal link above:

"since his successful early days, however, Noonan has been hit by injuries which in turn have affected his form"

clearly this quality has the FO chomping at the bit to sign him.

Posted by: invncbl | March 30, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

If Noonan is training is with DCU, I'm sure Goff can confirm it today, but I'm wondering what is the source for this news. Yesterday's Seattle Press had stories following Noonan's first day of training with the Sounders. Maybe Tribal Football didn't know that Washington is a State, not just a city....?

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Which is better, Retread United or Free Waiver United? I can't decide.

Posted by: strago | March 30, 2010 9:56 AM
__________________________________________

Why not just "ReUnited" and we'll get Peaches and Herb to replace Wall-E...

Posted by: boda-united | March 30, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

And, I know you've got to pay the bills, but a UFL franchise to play, what, 6 games a year or so at Rio Tinto.

Morons! I realize these things were built with securing the financial futures of the clubs, but packing in events for uses that everyone screamed were reasons not to take the product seriously is beyond backwards.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 30, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

maybe there's an imposter noonan floating around, like that guy who went around mexico claiming to be sven eriksson.

Posted by: stairs | March 30, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Shame about Rio Tinto - they have the nicest pitch in the league and now it will be scarred. And during the playoffs, possibly!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 30, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@stairs -- I was wondering about that guy. Is he headed to Ivory Coast, too?

Posted by: fischy | March 30, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

@VBB - "You're with me, Leder!"

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 30, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Noonan!

ReUnited was the first squad, of Bruce's Cavaliers.

Posted by: Reignking | March 30, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow, 24 pts in MFLS. Huge week, no thanks to -7 from de Guzman and Castillo.

Posted by: Reignking | March 30, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

@ Dadryan

Good observation. You should see what Univision and Telemundo have done in terms of Castillo. Every now and then you will get an annoucenment about Castillo and the half season package available not to mention if you were to buy the full season you would get a Castillo jersey.
As well as seeing alot of ads in the paper.
There are two Salvadorean programs that come on Saturday mornings in both channels so they bomb that program with DCU ads as well.

So the Salvi's know who he is, Im surprised that girl didn't.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 30, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow, 24 pts in MFLS. Huge week, no thanks to -7 from de Guzman and Castillo.

Posted by: Reignking

Shaking my fist... I got shelled. I knew it was bad, but not that bad.
It Takes More is a flipping understatement...LOL.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 30, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Wade will draw another 30,000.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 30, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

This past game must have effected goff more than thought, he's been staying up pretty late recently. Here's to gold ol' Goffers getting some rest dreaming about greener United pastures like routing NE

Posted by: SexyOffender | March 30, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, I hope the top 32 MFLS teams make the playoffs, like MLS...

Posted by: JkR- | March 30, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

dadryan, I'm looking at the scores for each (real) team...essentially, if your team doesn't score, the best that player can do is zero points. It isn't a forgiving scoring system; you don't get points for PT, unless you can shut the other team out for a half or the game.

Posted by: Reignking | March 30, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Noonan.

Not the savior this team needs. That would be a desperate move by a front office that screwed the pooch. Again. Poor pooch.

Posted by: dsheon1 | March 30, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

RTS is huting; their concert business is down and Bill Manning is under orders from Checketts to get events into that building. They had JC football there last year, concerts, and other events and didn't damage the field too at all. UFL, however, is a different story.

This just is further evidence, if not outright proof, that SSSs are a fiction. Anyone who purports to build or claims to have had built an SSS is a flat-out liar. There is no such thing, and there never will be. There are mid-size stadia with MLS teams as a major tenant, but there are no soccer-specific stadia. If these stadia are "specific" to anything, well, I suppose you can call them "event-specific stadia," because that's what they are. But Garber, Rob Stone, and all the other MLS shills need to get off this soccer-specific stadium terminiology. It's a lie.

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 30, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Exactly what does "screw the pooch" mean?

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I took a tour of Santiago Bernabeu stadium today and it was surreal! Got to get on the field, sat on the substitute player's bench (Recaro seats) and walked through the players' entrace tunnel. It was amazing. Any soccer fan visiting Madrid should make the Bernabeu a must see. We can only hope DC Utd gets its own stadium soon ...

Posted by: Charisma_Man | March 30, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

@ Rand-al-Thor and others. It's WALE..... :)

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | March 30, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Today, Evra screwed the pooch.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 30, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse