Valencia trip in doubt, but others in works

Valencia's U.S. tour this summer is in doubt, jeopardizing an already announced friendly against the expansion Philadelphia Union and a proposed match with D.C. United, the Insider has learned. The reason behind the possible cancellation by the prominent Spanish club was not immediately known, but it is not uncommon for complications to arise when third-party promoters are involved.

The Union announced an agreement two weeks ago but did not set a date. Further details as they become available.

Meantime, United is close to finalizing friendlies at RFK Stadium against what I am told are "major" European clubs. The matches would be played in late May (when World Cup-bound players are unavailable) and in July (when Euro clubs are in preseason training).

United officials declined comment on Valencia and the other talks, citing the sensitivity of negotiations. However, I am hearing that the potential opponents in May and July are among the most recognizable in international soccer.

United is also likely to play El Salvador's national team in a charity match at RFK.

Last summer, United hosted Real Madrid at FedEx Field. In previous years, DCU welcomed Chelsea, Boca Juniors, Celtic, Tottenham Hotspur, Bayer Leverkusen, Blackburn, Newcastle, Nottingham Forest and Leeds.

Who would you like to see at RFK this year?

By Steve Goff  |  March 31, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday kickaround
Next: Claudio Lopez to Rapids?

Comments

Man United or Liverpool

Posted by: beergorila | March 31, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Lyon & Flamengo. Probably not who they have in mind though.

Posted by: nairbsod | March 31, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Messi.

Posted by: axman664 | March 31, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Man United, of course. How awesome would that be. D.C. United gets to play against a team that finds a way to stay on top year after year.

Valencia does not have the same jazz as Manchester United.

Posted by: hardcoco | March 31, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Wilmington Hammerheads.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | March 31, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think the club has done a good job of scheduling international friendlies over the years.

I'd like to see Arsenal or Aston Villa.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 31, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Joe Public FC

Posted by: TheJim1 | March 31, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Who would I like to see at RFK this year? Dave Kasper's replacement. A proven, veteran attacking player under thirty years old. And Mayor Fenty, but only to announce a new stadium agreement has been reached to keep the team in D.C.

Posted by: rickinashburn | March 31, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

You guys are all wrong. Its gonna be

Instant Dict!

Remember them? ;-)

Posted by: Ron16 | March 31, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see us play some big names, but I'd also like us to have some hope of winning the game - we were never going to beat Real Madrid, for instance, but it's possible we could beat a mid-tier Prem side like Everton. How about one against Wolfsburg (for the VW connection and to show them our awesome fanbase in person and maybe sweeten the deal for a future stadium sponsorship!), one against Everton, and one against a big name like Arsenal or Liverpool? I'm an Arsenal fan myself so I'd love to see them, of course.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 31, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Well if it was Arsenal we'd get to see Arshavin... but if they play at Fed Ex I again won't be going.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Arsenal

Posted by: VirginiaFan | March 31, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Roanoke Riverdawgs with Dante Washington!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | March 31, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Lyon.

Posted by: nico78 | March 31, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"it's possible we could beat a mid-tier Prem side like Everton. "

There's a fan.

Too bad we couldn't squeeze more out of Valencia.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 31, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

QPR!!

Just had to throw a bone out there for Kev29

Also, re: Wale. Take it from someone who hails from the "Hip Hop Capital of the World"-ish, he's alright, nothing special. Would swing by if the energy was right if I were there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 31, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh Snap, did you really just claim ATLish as the Capital of Hip Hop!?!

Shoot that'd be like claiming Seattle was Soccer City USA...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

River Plate. Bring Gallardo back for a match - and let DCU sign one player for one game to mark him the entire match.

Seriously, I think ManU's got possibility as they'll be stateside and the Chelsea/Real Madrid matches seemed to go smoothly. Would also love to see Barca or Flamengo.

That said, I think Tottenham is more realistic. Didn't we have a good friendly at their pitch several years ago?

Posted by: inbetweenswims | March 31, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Dynamo Zagreb, Dynamo Moscow, Dy-no-mite JJ

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 31, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

What is the point of a friendly in May with all the good players unavailable? It's not the uniforms I want to see.

Posted by: granadoskerry | March 31, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

If ManU came to town, I couldn't see them acquiescing to play in the cesspit that is RFK unless they all had their gamma-globulin shots up to date.

I wouldn't mind seeing Atletico Madrid or a newly-promoted Newcastle featuring either Landon Donovan or a young American player who started his career at DCU and is languishing in Greece...

Posted by: Juan-John1 | March 31, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Well... we had Real Madrid last year, why not Barcelona this year?

Also, since we spanked Celtic 4-0 a few years ago, how about sending Rangers here to get whooped too?

Posted by: WorldCup | March 31, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Thinking about it more, if it's a club with at least a player or two who misses the World Cup and it was played at Fed Ex I'd probably go. I had my own personal boycott of the Real Madrid game because we were already getting overworked with fixture congestion last season. Less of that this year, and I probably wouldn't pass up an opportunity to see Arshavin, or Giggs for that matter.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Someone we can beat with the rag tag bunch we've got this season, like

Central Railways FC - Mumbai, Maharashtra, or

Churchill Brothers SC - Margao, Goa

Posted by: delantero | March 31, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"citing the sensitivity of negotiations"

really? what are they discussing, the Settlement policy in East Jerusalem?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | March 31, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Bayern Munich

Posted by: jleppig | March 31, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Bayern Munich also.

And get K Cooper to spend his summer vacation here.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 31, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

a "recognizable" name is nice and all but if it's a big name club full of players in the World Cup then what's the point with respect to the May match since none of the known players will be available. I suppose it gives us a better chance to say "we beat Big Team" and in two years no one will remember that Big Team was missing all of its name players.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 31, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Future Copa Libertadores Champ: Alianza Lima

Posted by: WillyJoel | March 31, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Bring Forest back.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 31, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Aston Villa. Or Rubin Kazan if it affords me the opportunity to buy one their sweet shirts. But definitely Villa.

Posted by: daandre3 | March 31, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

how about WOLFSBURG since we have ties to VDUB???

or....

hollywood united

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 31, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see FC Shia LeBouf play against DCU at RFK.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 31, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I want AC Milan!

Posted by: jsm3 | March 31, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Aston Villa. French Villa. French Va-nilla.

Man U. Man U Stink. Manwich.

River Plate. River Thames. Plate of Fries.

Bayern Munich. Bayern Aspirin. Bayernette.

Liverpool. Liverwurst. Live and Let Live.

Inter Milan. Interim Grade. FC Belgrade.

Lyon. Lyon King. Lyon Missed the Boat that Day He Left the Shack.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 31, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

1860 Munich, since Klinsmann is still pouting...

Posted by: rademaar | March 31, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

There was talk earlier that Manchester City was planning an American tour this year. I read a report in the Manchester Evening News not too long ago about it.

Posted by: Ol_Brob | March 31, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: That's what the, what I refer to as, "white people's rap station" down here calls it, but for the last decade, its hard to argue...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 31, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I've heard there are talks with Rangers, Rovers and another team I can't recall for sure....

Or, maybe it was talks with Range Rover about a sponsorship. ;)

Posted by: fischy | March 31, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Accrington Stanley? I was going to say we could take them, but I recall they gave some Prem team fits in a Cup match....

Posted by: fischy | March 31, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd need to see DCU doing well against my U-10 boys team first. I only have nine on my side, so it'll be pretty fair to start.
Once they stop embarrassing themselves against "quality MLS sides" we can start to discuss playing above their heads.

Posted by: daggar | March 31, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see DC United take it's scheduled games seriously.

Maybe then I could see a playoff game at RFK in the fall.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 31, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Goff: How can omit L. A. Firpo?

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 31, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: granadoskerry | March 31, 2010 1:21 PM |
-------------------------------------------------------

Season-ticket plans include 2-5 "special games (depending on which plan you might have). In past years, the team used CCL games and USOC games to fill that quota. Can't count on USOC, and the team isn't in any other tourney -- I imagine they're trying to bring in relatively low-rent teams, if for no other reason than to meet that quota. Otherwise, they gotta have refunds.

Posted by: fischy | March 31, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

It's "whom" would you like to see...

Posted by: lgm6986 | March 31, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Independiente Medellín

Posted by: HerrGrumpus | March 31, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Accrington Stanley played Fulham in the FA Cup this year. But, I think it was the pitch more than the team that gave Fulham problems, it looked a lot like Lot 8, but with actual lines painted on it. I'd love to see one of the mid level EPL teams, like Fulham, Villa or Everton here. It would draw a good crowd of real fans, not a huge crowd of wannabes that bought jersey's at the mall.

Posted by: harkes4ever | March 31, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe DCU will save a couple of the Special Game Tickets for the playoffs

wait, scratch that.

Posted by: Tweaked | March 31, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Freedom

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 31, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Whatever team comes are we going to be subjected to obnoxious marketing at the expense of the important regular season games? Will tix be $50 again like Real Madrid (didn't pay for that, won't pay $50+ to see DCU play unless MLS Cup, sorry).

Posted by: goaldigger | March 31, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Freedom

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 31, 2010 2:34 PM
-------------

You want to see DCU play against Rage Against The Machine as they perform their song, "Freedom"?

That'd be kinda neat.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 31, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I loved the Real Madrid marketing, I gladly paid $50 for my ticket, and sunburn notwithstanding, I had a great time at the game. I got to boo Cristiano Ronaldo to his face. It was entirely worth it. Made some new friends in the Eagles section, too.

Lighten up, people, it was over six months ago.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 31, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather them get good first, beat MLS teams, and then worry about playing these exhibitions.

Posted by: freaker | March 31, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Milan or Spurs

Posted by: oracle4 | March 31, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Messi hasn't scored yet!

Posted by: Reignking | March 31, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the ATL is the hip-hop capitol. So happy about that.

Posted by: Reignking | March 31, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

First choice: Barca. Second, Arsenal. But my guess is: Man U.

Of course, in May, Barca is going to be missing most of its interesting players who will be with their WC bound teams.

Less of a problem for Arsenal.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 31, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

El Tanque Sisley!

Posted by: thomaschr | March 31, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The Gunners are getting schooled SCHOOLED!!! by Barza.

Barza is simply impressive...IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Posted by: WillyJoel | March 31, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love ATLiens

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 31, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

sure about that Willy?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Ball possession Barca, on the road, 71%, outshooting 11-1...incredible...might need to watch this later.

Posted by: Reignking | March 31, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Atlanta has probably produced a lot of the most recognizable, if not commercial music in the last decade, but I hardly listened to much of it. Can't really speak on much of it lately anyway. Having a baby girl has lowered blasting beats and digging in crates on our priority list. So many of our records aren't really appropriate for toddler's tender ears, and parrot like mimicry of new words.

It's all Jack Johnson Curious George and Katie Tunstall these days...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

ok. so that stupid DC ad and the hip-hop talk on the page made me curious. so I you tubed "wale" (I thought it was pronounced "wail" but turns out I was wrong - who knew!). Anyway, gotta say his stuff wasn't that good. And I don't think that it's a good fit for DCU - not sure it caters to their demographics.

Posted by: nairbsod | March 31, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Boca Juniors. Boca Raton. Boca Burgers.

AC Milan. AC Repairman. AC/DC.

Locomotive Moscow. Do the Locomotive. Muy Loco.

Real Madrid. Real Salt Lake. Real Deal.

Reading. Reading Railroad. Health-care reform railroaded down our throats (sorry, couldn't resist. Yes, fischy, it's OK to laugh).

Parma. Parmesana. Big Parma.

VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach. Uh, forget it.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 31, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Who should DCU bring in for a friendly? How about...

(wait for it)

WAXTAP.

Barring them, how about Red Bull Salzburg? Say, right after mocking the NY Pink Cows? :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 31, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nairbsod | March 31, 2010 3:22 PM

That's exactly why United have hired Wale to perform at the opener - they want to expand into more demos. And he does cross into some of United's preferred audiences - young, music savvy and DC native/proud (dare I use the thinly veiled marketing buzz word 'urban'?). The "Wade" and "Wail" comments are amusing - he's a pretty big deal with the kids these days.

Bottom line is that with the hardcore fans, Wale followers, Salvadorans and the beautiful weather - a sinking ship playing in a pile of rubble will get a pretty decent opening night crowd.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 31, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That was an amazing half of futbol.

Posted by: fischy | March 31, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | March 31, 2010 3:13 PM

Good thing for the Arsenal that it's not a game of stats. :-0

Posted by: Kev29 | March 31, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@Kev: is it pronounced "Wall-E"? And will he clean up after himself when he's done?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 31, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nairbsod | March 31, 2010 3:22 PM

************************

Don't worry, most of his rhymes are probably going to be about pupusas and wanacos to cater to folks coming out to see Christian Castillo. He might do some Aussie stuff, too...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 31, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Is Arsenal parking the bus?:)

Posted by: Reignking | March 31, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

is there Aussie rap?

Posted by: nairbsod | March 31, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see DC United take it's scheduled games seriously.

Maybe then I could see a playoff game at RFK in the fall.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | March 31, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. We oughta have a respectable squad before we play the likes of any European squad. That is unless we play the reserves.

Posted by: redskinsux | March 31, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Wikipedia for answering my question:

Australian Hip Hop: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_hip_hop

Posted by: nairbsod | March 31, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I know the teams I like to watch on TV, but that's not what we would see at RFK (a lot of reserves). The ideal would be somebody with a good local following, to ensure a good crowd and interesting match night experience, but not too many players who will be missing before/after the world cup. I really don't know who that might include.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | March 31, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsux | March 31, 2010 3:49 PM

They would be playing reserves. And the squad will have a lot of time off during the World Cup - and far fewer competitive matches with no Champs League/Superliga this season. Not to mention that the club needs the money from popular friendlies.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 31, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

LIVERPOOL!

Posted by: KireDCU | March 31, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Hmm...I guess it was a good idea to keep Zlatan in.

Posted by: Reignking | March 31, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'm stuck at work with this match going (not to mention the weather). I need a beer garden and a big screen right about now.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 31, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The announcers are such nut riderz though it's irritating.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

As my daughter says. "Oopsy Doors"... bye bye Puyol.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Well well well... Arsenal level (albeit behind on away goals) and the Barca captain will be suspended at the Nou Camp.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 31, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

bye bye Cesc but not before earning me points...

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Lookin for that soldier goal from Cesc. Channel your inner Julius James laddie!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, most of his rhymes are probably going to be about pupusas...
Posted by: Joel_M_Lane
========

Eating my papusa,
That I stole from Siragusa
Going to Lollapalooza
Riding my Appaloosa
Cut the head of Medusa

If Wal-ay uses any of those, I'm suing.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 31, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Montreal Impact. They should have all their big names in May.

It'll be a sellout for sure.

Posted by: SoccerVA | March 31, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

MLSSoccer.com just reported breaking news with Hristo Stoichkov scoring for Barcelona in the Champions League... in 1993. Oddly, the accompanying picture for him is Roger Milla. What is wrong with that web site?

Posted by: IamAM | March 31, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Who would I like to see play at RFK?

A DC United team who plays like a fist of a team.

Posted by: dsheon1 | March 31, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see a United roster equal in talent, effort and support to 1996-99, or even 2004.

If they want exhibitions to make $ bring two european teams to play against each other.

Posted by: footballfan9 | March 31, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

how about bens chili bowl now being served at DC matches!!!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 31, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

The chili, pizza and BBQ sond good --even Papusa man sounds OK, if the quality is up with the pupusas of yore....

What I want to know is will there be anything for those of us observing Passover dietary restrictions? Kosher for Passover booze? Food that doesn't involve bread or flour?

Posted by: fischy | March 31, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Chili? With those bathrooms?

Posted by: Reignking | March 31, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Wale is going to be on tour with K'naan, who sings "Wavin' Flag" the official 2010 anthem, which therefore means that DC United is going to the World Cup!

---------

Wale's song Chillin' is all about places that DC got rejected from in their stadium search: "DC chillin, PG chillin"

-------
In regards to Goff's question, I'd like to see DCU win at RFK this season.

Posted by: diego_r | March 31, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

OK -- I'd like to see either Seedorf or Vieira at RFK this season....wearing the black DC kits. Unfortunately, Seedorf is signed through next Italian season. Vieira has an option to renew when his Man City contract runs out this summer. So, who do we get instead? I keep thinking we'll be hearing about the usual Argentine suspects: Veron, Riquelme and Palermo.

Posted by: fischy | March 31, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Shoot that'd be like claiming Seattle was Soccer City USA...

Posted by: DadRyan

---------------------

Especially when we all know it's Portland right?

Posted by: SoundersMob | March 31, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Alianza Lima!

Posted by: MitchTooMuch | March 31, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Based on trophies and international status I think that's Dc

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | March 31, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Finally made a big move in the UEFA Argy Bargy! Up 4 or 5 spots. Helps when you're starting the best young goalie in all creation: Lloris. He's unreal.

Posted by: fischy | March 31, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I actually started Lloris over Valdes, too -- Lloris was at home and playing a "weaker" team.

Oneata is Soccer City USA.

Posted by: Reignking | March 31, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I thought about going to the Wale/K'naan concert here in the A, just to see K'naan. I went to buy "Waving Flag" on rhapsody for my soccer announcing, and ended up with the whole album.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 31, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, your little girl would love Wal-E. Such a cute movie...

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | March 31, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Last time I checked Portland supporters WERE NOT starting threads on Big Soccer about their city being "Soccer City USA". Some Scrounger knob certainly did though. Just Sayin'.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

@MJ: She's already seen it, and you're right...:)

Posted by: DadRyan | March 31, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Redskins! Circa Joe Gibbs 1.0 era.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | March 31, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Will they have something at RFK this weekend that is suitable for Pesach (also known as Passout)?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 31, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I don't want to see any major clubs playing United at RFK. I don't want the city to get a dime of soccer-related money till they actually work with United to build a freaking stadium.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 31, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

JacobfromAtlanta-ish:

No disrespect to your hometown, but the only rappers in Atlanta that are better than Wale happen to be in Outkast.

In terms of popularity you've got an unbeatable argument, but since we're both posting on a socer blog, I think popularity is moot.

Wale is definitely something special.

[/MD-DC Napoleon complex]

dsheon1:

Fist of a team...great, now I'll have 2002 nightmares all over again. Nothing like watching your favorite club play without skill AND like a bunch of goons. At least last weekend we were just lacking in skill (goonery probably limited to that James tackle that injured Smith...not sure how he didn't get his second yellow there).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | March 31, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Based on discussions in previous threads, you might get a couple of votes for Boalsburg as Soccer City USA.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 31, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Barça

Posted by: seraphina2 | March 31, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm crossing my fingers for the Puerto Rican Islanders...Who wants to see some tired ass futbol from a bunch of pale, limey, slow-a-foot, half skilled bamas w/crooked teeth from the EPL? I mean, paleeze.

John Harkes sucks as a color analyst...

Posted by: boricuabopper | March 31, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Gravediggaz... ha.
What else you need? I mean Chest, didn't you have something to do with this too?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 1, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Peruvian Campeones and future Copa Libertadores Campeones:

Universitario de Deportes, Dale U! Alianza Lima son cagones!

Posted by: Pete803 | April 1, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Bring back the Grateful Dead!! Now that would be a hot-selling ticket!

Posted by: mebail | April 1, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

As I look around MLS, and see expansion teams getting new soccer stadiums, and I'm left wondering, why is D.C. so inept? Is this government really this stupid?? Oh, I forgot. The Washington Redskins actually play in Maryland.

Posted by: Ireland2 | April 1, 2010 6:43 AM | Report abuse

I think in season games are STOOPID. I'll watch United play Man U when it's in the World Club Cup!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 1, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Hows about Edison High Najar's (uuum) Alma Mater.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 1, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see a new stadium at RFK. I know it is old news but the stadium deal is DC United's albatross. It is going to sink or swim this club.

Posted by: shakeyjake | April 1, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

DCU International Friendly Candidates:

Schalke 04
Wolfsburg (especially if they could wear their previous VW kit)
Bayern Munich
Bayer Leverkusen
Roma
Juventus
Man U
Arsenal
Man City
Tottenham
Glasgow Rangers

Does MLS have an opponent yet for the All-Star Game?

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | April 1, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse