USA quotes and video

Landon Donovan:

"I thought we did okay. We had some moments in the first half that were okay but I don't think we put enough pressure on them. You always know that when you come here and play them that they're going to have a lot of the ball and you hope that at some key moments you make some plays going forward. It took us too long in the second half before we made some real plays."

For more comments, click here.

The London Times' take on the match.

Carlos Bocanegra's goal:

By Steve Goff  |  March 3, 2010; 7:53 PM ET
Categories:  Netherlands , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-Netherlands rewind
Next: Algeria stumbles at home

Comments

bocagoal

Posted by: dmj10 | March 3, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if any of the reporters there asked Bradley for a prognosis on Holden.

Posted by: LovetheGoffer | March 3, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Wife of Insider is checking in!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 3, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

just to be a contrarian, i'm going to defend donovan. he didn't get a lot of touches, but mostly because the dutch were dedicated to marking him out of the game. that is not a bad thing. it is a good thing if two and sometimes three opposition players are dedicated to shutting down one of yours. that means others should be open for opportunities. that they failed to do so is not donovan's fault. i wouldn't give him a great rating for today, but a 5 isn't out of the question. as far as I could tell, every time findley got the ball, he was the last american to touch it (one exception was a back pass). if that's what's ahead of you, what is the midfield supposed to do? that's why I give credit to torres, if only for keeping the dutch keeper honest.

Posted by: troy6 | March 3, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Think this game did more to undo the myth of Dutch soccer mastery than anything else.

1) Donovan cashed it in, as did much of the team until we were down 2-0. I understand why with all his recent play, but he has to be a game changer this summer.

2) Great to see Beasley back. More like the old, 2002 Beasley than I've seen in a long time.

3) Goodbye, Findley, Johnson, and Bedoya.

4) Bornstein with an absolute howler. Spector on the left, Dolo on the right, DeMerit with Boca/Gooch has to be the next iteration of the back four.

5) Horrible Ref, horrible. The U.S. got red carded in the last Cup for lesser offenses. I am ticked at DeJong's tackle, mostly because I really wanted Holden to play today and get geared up for the remainder of EPL.

Posted by: delantero | March 3, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

25 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 3, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

25 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 3, 2010 10:05 PM
-----------------------------------------------------

And, I've got "breaking United news"...

DCU won a coin toss to host the first US Open Cup MLS qualifier (Game E in the bracket), against FC Dallas. I guess we know what "Special Game A" will be in the DCU season ticket plan. Winner to play the winner of RSL vs. San Jose for advancement into the Round of 16.

Dallas has a lot of good young talent -- we kicked 'em in last year's Cup match, but some of them are a year older, and they've added a strong rookie class. If DCU runs out its second-stringers against Dallas, it could be a tough night. On the other hand, DCU needs to fill up a 5-match "Special Game" schedule for season-ticket holders, so they'll probably trot out the first team to secure a win.

A chance to see Bill Hamid in goal for United?

Posted by: fischy | March 3, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

You call that breaking news!? ;) I went to that game last year courtesy of another commenter on this blog, and we had a great time.

I think the real news, unless I'm the one who's late on this is that DCU is now selling tickets, and ticket/bus packages for the PU's home opener vs United! Already got my ticket purchase in for the big Turkey Philly Cheesesteak Experience, but will again be making some travel plans for ANOTHER trip to Philly. Check out the Philly Invasion scarves that they're selling!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Bornstein didn't have a howler, he had HOWLERS! One was the tug in the box on the Holland player, the other was handling the ball that should have resulted in him gifting another penalty for the Dutch. Absolutely sad that the second goal against us did come off him anyway, which he could not have possibly controlled, but still.

I would like to see more of Pearce, less of Bornstein, and amazingly I don't think Johnson looked all bad in his few minutes.

It is true, Landon will need to step up his game when the World Cup starts.

Posted by: elfelixg | March 3, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- Yeah, I'm not sure about the bus. Have to see if I'm traveling alone. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. Plus, I'm still trying to get to Chifa's, for a meal by Iron Chef Garces.

Funny that folks are saying Bornstein had "howlers", and talking about Torres and Bradley playing well. Bornstein had an unlucky deflection and a tiny tug on a guy's arm -- just in the wrong place in the field, and he grabbed at a skilled diver.

Actually, I recall a play late in the game, after Bradley coughed the ball up, he chased after the ball down the field, pulling down a significant percentage of Dutch players along the way. There was no call because it was all behind the action.

While I recall a good shot by Torres that went over the bar, I recall an even better shot by him that almost beat Tim Howard. Yeah, Torres was great and Bornstein was horrible...You try staying with Arjen Robben. Not that I'm defending Bornstein. Just saying he wasn't the only American who struggled. I was hoping Pearce would get the start -- to see how he'd do against Robben -- but maybe BB needed to see Bornstein one more time.

Posted by: fischy | March 3, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

The handball no call in my opinion was just a lucky coincidence for US. The sad part is that I believe Bornstein had ZERO idea where the ball was. Make up NO call?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 3, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

""funny that folks are saying Bornstein had "howlers", . . . . Bornstein had an unlucky deflection and a tiny tug on a guy's arm -- just in the wrong place in the field, and he grabbed at a skilled diver . ...You try staying with Arjen Robben.

Not that I'm defending Bornstein.""

>Right. If not Bornstein, then who are ya defending?

Bornstein was awful. He was beaten twice early for crosses b/c he gave his mark 10 feet of space. His one good play was making up for his own poor marking when he stopped Elia's shot. But, then again, Elia screwed up by waiting to shoot.

He should have been replaced by Pearce, not moved to center d.

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

We are desperate to get Gooch back. Then he can play with DeMerit in the middle and Bocanegra can play on the left, leaving Bornstein on the bench at best. Except, of course, he has the dirt on Bradley so Bradley HAS to keep playing him...... (at least, so I assume -- what other explanation could there be for Bradley forgiving him over and over and over for his defensive blunders)

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 4, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

>Right. If not Bornstein, then who are ya defending?
--------------------------------------------------

Jay Demerit, since he's the only one who was defending particularly well. And, Tim Howard.

Bornstein was getting pwned all game. I guess I'd say the penalty was more stupid than inept. Inept was being beaten on the play...except he probably could have recovered and forced Sniejder wide. My point, however, was that there "howlers" by others that are getting ignored because those players are better liked.

Posted by: fischy | March 4, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

@DCUSince96 -- Bornstein is emblematic of the USMNT. He can look pretty darn good...against lesser CONCACAF competition. He can even look like he's getting better. Tonight's effort proves he's not up to defending against some of the better attackers in Europe and South America -- which I suppose is what Bradley needed to figure out. I would have preferred to see if Pearce is up to the task, but maybe Bradley isn't taking that option seriously. Maybe his back-up plan is Boca. We'll find out for sure in the next 2 friendlies.

Posted by: fischy | March 4, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

A country of 300+ million, and we can't find one semi-competent left back.

Posted by: BooThisMan | March 4, 2010 1:00 AM | Report abuse

@BooThisMan

You should change your comment to Bradley cannot find a decent left back. Think about it: Castillo, Pearce, and Spector all play left back. Besides Pearce, only Spector has gotten a start at the position and that was in 2007 Gold Cup. Spector plays left back in one of the best leagues in the world and Castillo plays in the Mexican League that is head and shoulders above MLS (fact not opinion). If you don't think that watch Superliga and CONCACAF Champions League and you will see my point. However neither Castillo or Spector start at left back for the nats. Last night Spector could have started at left back and Simek right, but noooooo. Mr. Bradley will not pull the plug on Bornstein. I will say that Bornstein is fairly decent against teams from our region.

Posted by: no_recess | March 4, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

From the London Times story:
"Bocanegra provided his team with respectability at the death, beginning their flurry of unlikely pressure."

MORE FLURRY OF UNLIKELY PRESSURE PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: dsheon1 | March 4, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Sheer speculation -- did Bornstein walk in on Bradley getting it on with someone? What dirt is he protecting that would explain the unnatural hold he has on Bradley's loyalty?

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 4, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Fischy . . It's not about liking or disliking, as I left high school long ago.

Bornstein stunk up the joint. I'll give him a get out of jail free card, and certainly he'll still make the Cup team. But that type of game is intolerable. Just like Beasley in the Confed Cup. He needs to sit out the next match or two or three . .

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I though Beasley kept possession pretty well. In defense of his holding the ball too long, would any one of us have passed it to Findley?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

No dirt; Bornstein did mightily contribute to B Bradley earning his current job.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 4, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

One more thing (begin conspiracy theory). On page A7 of yesterday's Post was a full page ad by a pro-Turkey group asking the House not to pass a certain bill. I think it's the one that calls a Turkish attack on ethnic Armenians tantamount genocide (I'm too lazy to look it up on Wikipedia). Anyway, the Turkish ref must have been instruct by his gov't to punish the US by calling lots of fouls. OK, end conspiracy theory.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 4, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I never thought I'd say this after the Brazil game (the first one) in the CC, but DMB was the best player on the pitch last night by far. Dangerous, hungry, and dare I say tough? DeMerit, Edu, and Bedoya (who the hell is this guy and why has he not been out there more before now?)were the only three other than Run DMB that looked good last night.

Of course, Holland was simply the better side, period. When your subs are guys like Huntelaar, van der Vaart, and Ryan Babel, you're simply a class above.

Posted by: JRandomReader | March 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

The U.S. did well against a class side, and, honestly, I thought Holland never really were too threatening too . . . certainly not like Brasil and Spain last summer.

And, if Findley were a better player, I think we could have taken the game to them a bit more. He was a black hole, ending every attack he became a part of . .

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

LD went out for a lunch break and no one stepped up to lead the squad. Critical moments lacked execution. Except for Altidore, a sub-par performance. L'Orange were more patient, practical and quicker; these qualities are hard to find in the USMNT squad.

Posted by: juke2 | March 4, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The Times assesses the quality and future play of the US based on this one game? Cool.

MLS players are a step slow. Bornstein was overmatched the entire match. But, the guys who play in Europe looked like they could compete. We need our injured guys back and someone to team with Altidore up front.

Posted by: hacksaw | March 4, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Overall, I thought team defense was pretty solid and organized against a very high quality opponent.

Bornstein's arm pull and handball are the type of errors that will be fatal in a real World Cup Final game.

Offense was anemic. I have a feeling we will see opposing teams utilize similar defensive tactics of high pressure on the ball and possbile man-marking of Donovan. Maybe this will be less effective with a healthy Dempsey and Davies.

Decent stuff from Torres, Altidore, and Beasley (shocker).

Bradley is trying to find more speed up top. Findley is not the answer. Maybe next world cup.

Posted by: footiefan101 | March 4, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse