Video: Bocanegra's goal

Three days after scoring for the United States against the Netherlands, Carlos Bocanegra started at left back for Rennes and provided a first-half goal in the 1-0 victory over Monaco. Did he make contact with Sylvain Marveaux's free kick?

By Steve Goff  |  March 6, 2010; 7:10 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , France
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Michelle Obama united with soccer
Next: Americans abroad

Comments

I vote no.

Posted by: grabowcp | March 6, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Bocagoal

Posted by: dmj10 | March 6, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

oui

Posted by: GolazoDecatur | March 6, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

It's impossible to tell definitively from that footage, but it looks like the ball was redirected just a little bit, which would also explain why to goalie was fooled. I vote yes.

But it's his goal, regardless.

Posted by: BooThisMan | March 6, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

There is no way on earth Freddy Adu scored that goal.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 6, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Got a slight touch. His goal.

He played left back today too. Here is hoping Onyewu gets healthy and in form so USMNT can slide Boca to the left. Nothing against Pearce but 1 okay game a few years ago against Argentina does not give me the highest of confidence. Bornstein is also not the answer.

Though, if Gooch does not get a few games with Milan I would not play him. There is no way you play a guy who has played two games over the last 12 months going into the World Cup. I am sorry, I like Gooch, but that cannot happen at the World Cup level. I hope he gets some kind of time and form though. (If Dolo is healthy, and no Gooch, I would say play a backline of Dolo-DeMeit-Boca-Spector)

Sorry for the nicknames. Spelling their names is tough, and I did not feel like looking them up.

Posted by: grubbsbl | March 6, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Non

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 6, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Slight deflection = Bocas goal.

Posted by: zosodave | March 6, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I didn't even see a noticeable chance in direction. But, maybe this means more playing time. Go any other left back other than Bornstein!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 6, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

So, 18-yr. old Gale Agbossoumonde was in uniform today for Sporting Braga. I'm thinking with him, Eric Lichaj, Antonin Peterlin, Tler Polk, Zachary Herold, maybe Ike Opara, Omar Gonzalez and, of course, DCU rookie Jordan Graye, the USMNT's backline has a promising future.

Posted by: fischy | March 7, 2010 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Donavan to Chelsea according to "The People" or some such.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | March 7, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Uggg...pretty embarassing to incorrectly spell "Donovan".

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | March 7, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't think he touched it, but he was definitely key to ensuring the keeper didn't get to it. If he did touch it, it was after it bounced hard and was already headed toward the goal.

Posted by: spata1 | March 7, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Two suggested topics for Goff:

Anybody watch Roma v. Milan yesterday, and hear the commentator refer repeatedly to "Rolandinho"?

Does the story on page one of the Post about Fenty rewarding his friends remind anyone of Fenty's refusal to go along with the initial Poplar Point development deal in favor of a rebid, because his developer friends wanted to make sure they got cut in?

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 7, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Close enough. Glad he got credited for it. Second time in four days that Carlos finds the back of the net. Maybe Bob Bradley should pair him with Jozy up front.

Posted by: bartapest1 | March 7, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

yo fish: was Gale playing for the first team in a league match? that is amazingly fast! the kid -- or giant, i should say -- is spectacular, but I didn't think he'd get first team minutes so soon. OK, I'm off to peruse the Portuguese press (frustrating, because they are always short on facts in their reporting).

Posted by: troy6 | March 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Little Roland. Classic.

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | March 7, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

found some coverage: Gale was an unused sub (which, rereading fischy's original post, should have been obvious to me). Still, making the game day roster for a team that is in first place in the Portuguese league is pretty impressive! Of course, in about four hours they'll be in second place again since Benfica plays later today. I like how the club and media refer to him only as "Gale". I suppose they are used to one-name stars and probably can't spell Agboussoumonde (I doubt I spelled it right there either).

Posted by: troy6 | March 7, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

continuing on Fischy's thought, can you imagine a back line of Spector, Gooch, Gonzalez, and Gale? especially if Spector and Gonzalez figure out where the weight room is...those guys are huge!

Posted by: troy6 | March 7, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Donovan to Chelsea? I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 7, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

The way the goalie has to try to move his hands upwards makes me think Boca made contact.

I have been VERY impressed with Gale in the youth tournaments I've seen him in.

+1 to DadRyan on the Donovan rumor.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | March 7, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

me too. I don't care if the whole USMNT goes to Chelsea; I won't ever support that side.

Posted by: troy6 | March 7, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The rumors are that Man U wants Joe Cole and that Chelsea would replace Cole with Donovan. This comes despite the statement from a Chelsea coach that the side are "desperate to keep" Cole (Sky Sports). Whenever anyone lower than the manager says that the team is "desperate to keep" you, you should find a real estate agent.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

20 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 7, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Boco is prolly glad he didn't trim that toe nail. Weak goal but he'll take it I spose.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | March 7, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Donovan. You must stay. Ya gotta love the Everton fans with the "USA" chant.

Posted by: fischy | March 7, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Jozy's shown how he's grown into a holding forward. Only question left: Can he be a scorer?

Posted by: fischy | March 7, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Donovan with a goal and an assist to Rodwell. The goal wa a hard, low shot from the left just inside the far post. He should have had another assist, but Yakubu hit the ball over from inside the six.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 7, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

That Rodwell is seriously good. I'm glad he's too young to be taken seriously for the World Cup. Probably not long for Everton. Won't surprise me if he's starting for England in 4 years.

Posted by: fischy | March 7, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Altidore never had the best touch in the world -- that wasn't his game. But activity and confidence *were* in his game, and I didn't see much of either today.

If Donovan does stay, or at least have his loan extended, I'll be interested in comparing the Galaxy fans' reactions to those towards Beckham last year.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | March 7, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I saw a lot of activity from Altidore. As for confidence -- they were being shelled. His passes, when there was someone to pass to, were crisp. He was calling for the ball. Not sure how you measure confidence.

Posted by: fischy | March 7, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Goff will probably post about this, but here' a taste, from FIFA decision to put the kibosh on goal-line tech:

“A decision was made not to go with technology,” Jérôme Valcke, the FIFA general secretary, said at a news conference Saturday after the 124th meeting of the International Football Association Board in Zurich.

“It’s an end to the potential use of technology within football.”

Posted by: fischy | March 7, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted in the earlier thread, whoops:

From FSC commentary on Everton-Hull after Piennar rolls it back for Arteta's goal

"beautifully crafted, (camera pans to a shot of who I imagine is Lorena Bernal, Arteta's significant other) . . . and I'm not just talking about her."

Disappointed to see Landon and Jozy not start . . but was to be expected.

Posted by: delantero | March 7, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Landy with a sweet goal and an assist in a 5-1 rout of overmatched Hull. He almost had a second assist, but Yukubu got under the ball and sky'd it.

An Everton sign read: