Wednesday kickaround

*D.C. United and rookie goalkeeper Andrew Quinn have agreed to terms on a contract, the Insider has learned. He will be third on the depth chart. Quinn, a DeMatha High graduate who played at Notre Dame and is the son of D.C.-based soccer photographer Tony Quinn, performed well with United after a two-week trial with Glasgow Rangers.

*MLS issued a clarification on the new roster and salary guidelines: Each club may have between 18 and 20 players on the senior roster, each of whom will count toward the $2.55 million salary cap. Clubs may have up to four players that do not count against the cap (Generation adidas players or those earning the $40,000 minimum). In the event MLS expands rosters for the purpose of a reserve division, additional players will be known as "apprentices" and earn $31,250. Also, as I understand it, homegrown players (signed from a club's academy) are exempt from roster and salary rules.

*The dismissal of MLS veterans continued with Colorado waiving midfielder-forward Pat Noonan (40 goals in seven years with three clubs) and Chivas USA cutting defender Carey Talley (299 games in 12 years for five clubs) and goalkeeper Jon Conway (78 starts in 10 years).

*Need World Cup tickets? Plenty available.

*What's ragball? Check it out. The co-founder is former University of Virginia player Sean Hinkle.

For Americans abroad and the TV listings, including Lionel Messi looking to continue his extraordinary scoring spree and Mexico facing Iceland in a friendly in North Carolina.....

*Americans abroad:
Tuesday
GK Marcus Hahnemann 90 in Wolves' 3-1 win over West Ham
D Jonathan Spector last 45 for West Ham
MF Alejandro Bedoya 90 in Orebro's 3-0 loss at Malmo
F Kenny Cooper in 18, didn't play in Plymouth's 2-0 win over Ipswich
Wednesday
GK Tim Howard and Everton at Manchester City
GKs Brad Friedel and Brad Guzan for Aston Villa vs. Sunderland
MF Clint Dempsey and Fulham at Spurs (FA Cup quarterfinals)

D Jay DeMerit and Watford at D Frank Simek and Sheffield Wed
(DeMerit's back injury might prevent him from playing again)

MFs Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley for Glasgow Rangers at Dundee United (Scottish Cup quarterfinals)

*Soccer on TV:
Spain, Barcelona-Osasuna 3 p.m. ET, ESPN Deportes
England, Portsmouth-Chelsea 3:45 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
England, Manchester City-Everton 3:45 p.m. Fox Soccer Plus
England, Aston Villa-Sunderland 6 p.m. FSP
Italy, Inter Milan-Livorno 6 p.m. FSC
Libertadores, Catolica-Caracas 6:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
FA Cup, Spurs-Fulham 8 p.m. FSP
Friendly, Mexico-Iceland 8 p.m. Telemundo
(Capacity crowd likely at Charlotte's NFL stadium)

Libertadores, Cruzeiro-Italia 8:30 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  March 24, 2010; 6:06 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Africa , Americans Abroad , D.C. United , MLS , South Africa , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United welcomes Andy Najar
Next: Poll: MLS opener

Comments

Has either Julius James and/or Rodney Wallace been granted a green card?

Posted by: lgsrtraub | March 24, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

The new roster rules all seem to be pretty reasonable. With the seemingly unrelenting policy of expansion MLS needs to make sure that the competition levels at least remain even. I still worry about a replication of the NHL expansion ponzi scheme experience (where expansion fees bring in new revenue, but then to sustain the revenue new teams need to be added) and you end up with clubs like the Nashville Predators.

Posted by: diego_r | March 24, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Cooper has not made the field in the last two games. Thought Mariner was going to hook him up. Guess not.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | March 24, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"homegrown players (signed from a club's academy) are exempt from roster and salary rules"

Well, that's an encouragement to clubs to keep promising young players. But it's not necessarily great for the youngsters who might get less in wages and perks than they would with a college scholarship - which is much lower risk and comes with this little bonus called an education.

Posted by: Modibo | March 24, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

WHAT DO YOU MEAN DEMERIT MY NOT PLAY AGAIN! USA TODAY SAYS DOUBTFUL....EXPLAIN YOURSELF!

Posted by: arswift24 | March 24, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

@ arswift24

Chillax. Might prevent him from playing again means he might have to sit this match out as well. Might=he's recovering, and likely will be rested this week.

I was dreading bad news, but this is not bad news in itself.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | March 24, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Friendly, Mexico-Iceland 8 p.m. Telemundo

Wow, between playing Bolivia (4 goals in the first 20 minutes) and now Iceland, Mexico is really taking WC preparations seriously.

Perhaps they should schedule the Maldives next.

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Even more great/depressing news for MLS/United fans . . .

HOUSTON (AP)—The city of Houston and Harris County are expected to vote in the coming weeks on a proposed plan to build a new stadium for Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo.

The team would pay $60 million of the $80 million cost of the stadium, to be built in a vacant lot east of downtown. The city and county would pay the remainder if legislators approve the proposal. The city council is expected to vote March 31 and county commissioners April 13.

Construction could begin Oct. 1 and the stadium could be ready for 2012. The Harris County-Houston Sports Authority’s board is expected to vote Thursday on whether to play a central role in managing the deal and overseeing the project.

The Dynamo play at the University of Houston’s Robertson Stadium and ranked fourth in MLS in home attendance last season at an average of just over 17,000.

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Great to hear that the "apprentices" will be making a reasonable wage.

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Another happy local story for Quinn. I like it.

With all these waivers of veterans, the Fantasy League managers will be gnashing their teeth.

Incidentally, I was told by a regular that some folks in the Insider world would be interested in joining a DC United flavored MFLS division. If you are interested in entering The Black & The Red Division, drop me an email. tbtrfa at gmail dot com

Sorry about the plug Goffer.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | March 24, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

If your building your fantasy team while at work, just remember that it's www.mfls.com, not "milfs."

I have to go now, security is escorting me and my box of personal belongings from the building.

What do you mean I can't take the red Swingline stapler?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

You should watch 24 if you wanted to see Bill Purdy...

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

So let's see:
Houston - in the works and looking good
San Jose - in the works and looking good
Kansas City - under construction
Philly - under construction
New England - FO owns stadium
Seattle - FO owns stadium
New York - SSS
TFC - SSS
Columbus - SSS
Chicago - SSS
FCD - SSS
Colorado - SSS
RSL - SSS
Galaxy - SSS
Chivas - SSS (shared)
Portland - expansion, SSS (to be renovated)
Vancouver - expansion, under construction
Montreal - expansion, SSS/soon to be expanded

DC United is now officially the only team left in MLS without a sustainable stadium situation moving forward, assuming the Houston and SJ situations pan out as expected. Soccer-specific stadiums are no longer the way of the future in this league - they are the status quo.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 24, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

VercengetorixII :

While you make a good point, I prefer RFK over Foxboro, no matter who owns it.

Posted by: JkR- | March 24, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Freedom preseason game this sat @ soccerplex at 4 pm . . . buy one $20 ticket and use it for season opener (4/10) as well . . . Sat is Philadelphia -- Lori Lindsey (the starting National team mid that we left unprotected in the draft) and A-Rod. Oh yeah, and Heather.

4/10 is Boston.

Out of curiosity I googled the Sol defender who had her leg exploded by Wambach last year at the Plex. She's coaching at La Salle so I guess her playing days are behind her, at least for this year.

J Lohman is on the Philly roster on their website; I thought she was in Freedom management.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 24, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@jKr- sure, I do too, for multiple reasons - location, atmosphere, playing surface, etc. But as far as I know, there's no talk of moving the Revs out of New England. That's the broader point, I suppose.

It's one thing to make the pro-stadium argument ten years ago, or even five years ago, when SSS facilities were a rarity - i.e. "the rest of the league doesn't have their own stadium, why do you need one?" Now it's the opposite - LITERALLY everyone else, including teams that don't even play in MLS yet, has a solid situation except for us.

I just felt like we should go ahead and quantify the current situation to bring it into perspective.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 24, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII | March 24, 2010 10:06 AM

Though there has been talk of the Revs moving into Boston (Somerville). And JkR - saying you prefer RFK over Gillette is just fiddling while the ship goes down. I could care less about RFK's history and all the good times I've had there - it's dying and the club's fading with it. I'll only celebrate the old albatross if/when United breaks ground on a new stadium.

Posted by: Kev29 | March 24, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Umm, lemme do that again.

The Plex is also hosting Kicks Against Breast Cancer on 4/3 and 4/17. The 4/3 match is the Freedom v UNC-CH. The 4/17 tournament feature a number of local college and U17 ODP teams. Admission is $10.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Is Goff breaking news on Demerit's career possibly being over? Has this been reported elsewhere?

Posted by: kjm1971 | March 24, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Why no article/commentary in today's Metro section (or maybe even the sports section) about Don Garber's criticism of DC's politicians? Not newsworthy? Well, SI.com is carrying the story.

Is the rest of the Post afraid of the mayor?

Posted by: soccerman | March 24, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

DeMerit's back injury might prevent him from playing today, as it did in the team's last game.

Capice?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 24, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

@ soccerman -- The dozens or hundreds of people who care read the news in this Post blog. Did you expect Norman Chad to pick up the story?

Posted by: OWNTF | March 24, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Got it, thanks

Posted by: kjm1971 | March 24, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "photographer"?~

"It's not the way you look,
It's not the way that you smile.
Although there's something to them.
It's not the way you have your hair,
It's not that certain style;
It could be that with you.

If I had a photograph of you,
It's something to remind me.
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing..."

A Flock of Seagulls, "Wishing" (Reignking's favorite band)

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 24, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

VercengetorixII , Kev29, I'm not disputing either point.

But games start next week, at RFK, and I'm glad to be going. I enjoy it.

Posted by: JkR- | March 24, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

@ OWNTF - look, SI.com is running a story from the AP. The Examiner featured the story in their print edition (plus a pretty good MLS preview) - the Post?...nothing. I can only read it one way - that they don't think it's important enough to piss off the mayor.

Posted by: soccerman | March 24, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, one more newspaper run a short blurb about it - the Baltimore Sun, with the attendant comment that, "The Maryland Stadium Authority is considering the feasibility of building a 20,000-seat stadium for United along the redeveloped Westport waterfront."

Posted by: soccerman | March 24, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Why should the Post or the mayor give a rat's a$$ what Don Garber thinks? Goff reported it, so any Post reader who cares knows. If the mayor concerned himself at all about this, which I doubt he does, he'd care more about Poopy McPoop than Don Garber. Poopy being a thought leader here.

Posted by: OWNTF | March 24, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

what do we think about a Najar wearing #14? I know that we must move on, but I pretty much figured that number would be retired at some point. I mean, that's a lock, right?

Posted by: jsm3 | March 24, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

On ESPN MLS Fantasy (slightly messed up, but easy to use): Argy Bargy Insiders
Motto: Goff Rules
Password: vamosunited
First team to join, AssocFootUnited (AFU for short, only a coincidence that these are the last few letters of SNAFU).

Posted by: assocfoot | March 24, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@kjm -- I'd be interested in Goff's source for this ominous declaration. Your comment sent me searching. The Watford Observer doesn't have details but isn't so dour -- quoting Watford's coach talking about DeMerit and 2 other injured Watford players:

"They are all touch and go right now, we’ll give them until tomorrow and see how they are," Hornets boss Malky Mackay...

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Flock of Seagulls? Huh?

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@jsm3: There's another thread for that topic.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

On ESPN MLS Fantasy (slightly messed up, but easy to use): Argy Bargy Insiders
Motto: Goff Rules
Password: vamosunited

Posted by: assocfoot

I'm in. Much easier format than mfls (and I have a team in the Bigsoccer division there).

Posted by: Reignking | March 24, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow, on MFLS there's Soccer By Ives "The Official Soccer By Ives Fantasy MLS League"" run by Ives himself.

Time to up the ante. Throwdown MFLS style. Ives vs. Goffinho. Granted, they have 82 teams vs 20, but it's quality, not quantity.

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I never figured out why the Flock of Seagulls sang about Iran. Yes, it is "so far away," but so is India, Australia, etc.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm in, assocfoot, thanks for the password. The MFLS group is full, last time I checked. Good Luck to all!

Posted by: Throwin64 | March 24, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- I think it was because the Red Rockers had "China" covered:

Danced with wind and danced with fire
Killed the truth and called the liar
Bleeding in its mystery when the moon began to fall
Dreamers are not all they seem,
sleeping in her silent dream
She locks it all inside and hides it all away

China, China

Calling out to history
Is that the way it will always be?

China, China

Questions in my hand, and then
answers gone till I don't know when

All you speak and all you hear
Hand that's strong and voice it's clear
An unforgotten memory when the moon begins to call
Called you right and called you wrong
Time, the shadow, sings your song
Don't lock it all inside and hide it all away

China, China 4x

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

More obscurely, the Kinks nailed "Australia:

Opportunities are available in all walks of life in Australia
So if you're young and if you're healthy
Why not get a boat and come to Australia

Australia, the chance of a lifetime
Australia, you get what you work for
Nobody has to be any better than what they want to be
Australia, no class distinction
Australia, no drug addiction
Nobody's got a chip on their shoulder
We'll surf like they do in the U.S.A.
We'll fly down to Sydney for our holiday
On sunny Christmas Day
Australia, Australia
No one hesitates at life or beats around the bush in Australia
So if you're young and if you're healthy
Why not get a boat and come to Australia
Australia sha-la-la-la sha-la-la-la
Australia sha-la-la-la sha-la-la-la
Everyone walks around with a perpetual smile across their face
Australia sha-la-la-la sha-la-la-la
Australia sha-la-la-la sha-la-la-la
Everyone gets around and nobody can ever get you down
We'll surf like they do in the U.S.A.
We'll fly down to Sydney for our holiday
On sunny Christmas Day
Australia, Australia.

Personally, I'd rather be "Big in Japan"

Posted by: fischy | March 24, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"The Football Supporters’ ­Fed­eration’s Kevin Miles said: “Even our allocation was hard to sell. Other countries have been unable to sell theirs.” He blamed “the price of flights, hotels and transport... a winter tournament and safety issues”."

When race walking doesn't sell out during London Olympics will they blame that on having the Summer Olympics in the middle of the winter for half the planet.

Posted by: csd1 | March 24, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or have all the MLS clubs that recently let veterans go just finished reading "Soccernomics?"

Posted by: Juan-John1 | March 24, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@VercengetorixII

The writing is on the wall for the departure of United from DC. RFK is not a viable stadium for a professional franchise. The location is terrifc. And that's what we will be left with in DC in two years time, in my opinion. Memories, an old stadium, and a very nice location. Thanks, Fenty et al.

And if you think I am over the top about my pessimism, go back and see what the MLS commissioner thinks about DC.

Two years. Mark my words.

Posted by: rcdwriting | March 24, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Ragball, eh? That Hinkle guy rings a bell...what the... That's it! Einhorn is Hinkle! Hinkle is Einhorn! Einhorn is a man! Oh, my GOD! Einhorn is a man!

Posted by: greifie | March 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Well in, greifie...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 24, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

To continue yesterday's discussion of stadium issues: Here is an article from this morning's Post about the White Flint area. I'm not sure how a stadium would fit in with the rest of this development:

To continue an even earlier discussion (from nearly 24 hours ago, ancient history in terms of this blog): I knew about Bill Jeffrey, but I did not know about his connection to Boalsburg. (As an aside, I remember going to that Irish pub in Glen Echo with friends who once lived in Centre Hall. Almost the first words out of their mouths were about how much the joint reminded them of one of their favorite haunts in Boalsburg.)

Posted by: universityandpark | March 24, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The Mexico v Iceland friendly should have been held somewhere in Raleigh/Durham instead... local Mexicans call the Triangle "North Puebla" because most of them hail from the Puebla region of Mexico.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 24, 2010 10:28 AM
________________________________________

Will the beer garden be up and running?

Posted by: universityandpark | March 24, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Great news for Quinnie -- and for Tony.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | March 24, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Hate to keep reposting but just in case.

"Argy Bargy Outsiders" for those left out of the "Argy Bargy Insiders" mfls.com league

password: united