Zidane, D.C. United, USA women, World Cup

*Zinedine Zidane tells Spanish publication El Pais that he will never apologize to Marco Materazzi for head-butting the Italian defender in the chest during the 2006 World Cup final in Berlin:

"If it was Kaka, a regular guy, a good guy, of course I would have apologized, but to this one. ... If I ask him forgiveness, I lack respect to myself and to all those I hold dear with all my heart. I apologize to football, to the fans, to the team. After the game, I went into the dressing room and told them, 'Forgive me. This doesn't change anything, but sorry everyone'. But to him, I cannot. Never, never. It would be to dishonor me. I'd rather die. There are evil people, and I don't even want to hear those guys speak."

*As expected, D.C. United midfielder Christian Castillo has been cleared to play for El Salvador against Guatemala on Wednesday night in Los Angeles. A sore knee prevented him from joining his national team last week for the friendly against the United States in Tampa.

*Reserve Lauren Cheney scored twice in the second half as the USA women advanced to the Algarve Cup final with a 2-0 victory over Sweden. The Americans will play Germany on Wednesday.

*In her latest column, Wife of Insider marks the passage of time with the approach of another World Cup.

By Steve Goff  |  March 1, 2010; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , D.C. United , France , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: March madness for World Cup-bound teams
Next: Tuesday kickaround

Comments

Kaka would also not have said anything like that.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Steven Goff is Mr. Snarkshelf. (said in the movie promo voice.)

Posted by: nairbsod | March 1, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Interesting interview with Zidane... the idea of "death before dishonor" is still going strong in the modern world. Reminds me of a study of 20th century homicide rates in the USA. The people in the areas of the country with the highest per-capita rates (generally, the South) also placed the greatest importance on the concepts of honor and pride, and stated a greater willingness to defend their honor through violence if necessary.

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | March 1, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"Every four years, my husband is gone for roughly six or seven weeks.""

The Cup's only 4 . . . is Mr. Goff on the Applachian Trail for the other three?!?!

Posted by: delantero | March 1, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

For the fill in the blank of "I want people to know that my Dad ___________." Ryan filled in "Does not live in Europe."

Priceless. Gotta love kids.

Posted by: CYork1 | March 1, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

DCU_Rick,
Kaka gives it up to Jesus but that doesnt mean he'd be immune from telling Zizou he was going to hell as an infidel (also warranting of a headbutt). I grew up as a holyroller, so I know how judgemental some can be.

Posted by: alespar415 | March 1, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

So has the writing bug hit Son of Insider, too? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John1 | March 1, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe I'm reading a Mom's blog. Funny stuff though.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Dag, Miles, this blog is a big enough distraction; your alias always gets that damn lyric running through my mind for at least half an hour. Glad there's at least someone else here old enough to remember REM's last good album.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | March 1, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Listening to the soccernet podcast, and they can't name who the starting back 4 (save Terry) will be, especially the left back. Sound familiar?

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

DCU_Rick,
Posted by: alespar415

I think DCU_Rick simply meant Kaka has more class than Materazzi. Definitely true if you ask me.

Posted by: KireDCU | March 1, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | March 1, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

-----------

Wow. What a bunch of BS.

Posted by: Atlanta4MLS | March 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

1. Kudos to Wife of Insider. Well done.

2. Atlanta4MLS--try reading Outliers (by Malcom Gladwell) where you find the statistical details about what Miles Standish wrote about. He's just talking about what someone else (Gladwell) wrote about statistically.

3. It bothers me tremendously that so much of DCU seems to be incomplete at this point. We pretty much need an A-mid and a striker and probably a central defender (plus a little depth). I admit that some depth could emerge. And we've got roster space and cap room. But it bothers me that at this point in the season we still have so many key roles to fill.

Posted by: JoeW1 | March 1, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

R.E.M. had a good album?

Posted by: DadRyan | March 1, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Just one, Fables of the Reconstruction.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

DCU_Rick,

Posted by: alespar415 | March 1, 2010 3:56 PM
=======================

Como se dice "hypocricy" en espanol?

Too funny, alespar415. You judge people you don't know for being judgmental. Precious!

@DudeRyan: Yes, "Murmur" is an excellent album. Actually, do we still call them "albums"?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 1, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Wife of the Insider's posting makes me really sad for her. I hope you will make it up to her (even though I remember you posting during vacations as well). I will never begrudge your lack of postings during downtimes, such as later this season when United are out of contention.

Posted by: familano | March 1, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

The South, particularly those in the South who identify themselves as "Southern Baptists" have the highest rates of alcoholism, rape, adultery, and violent crime in the country.

The lowest? Self-identifying atheists in the Northeast.

Full Disclosure: I'm a self-identifying atheist from the "Northeast" who has lived in the South for the last 4 years.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 1, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Atheists don't have any good holidays.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Chronic Town (enter DadRyan reference here) through Document, pretty much start to finish for REM.

How many days til the season starts? Man could I use a game about now.

Posted by: eadc | March 1, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

So Wife of Insider writes for the Times, that is the Washington Times. It must be awkward at times in the House of Insider.

Posted by: sofiaboy | March 1, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@alecw81

Not to get too metaphysical but if there's no God, why would atheists think alcoholism, rape, adultery, and violent crime are so awful?

So is Kaka a Southern Baptist? Who knew?

And when is he gonna be the AM for DCU?

Posted by: benonthehill | March 1, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Godfather,

Let me guess, you were in college in the mid-80's? Not that that is an insult, since I was too, just that I know a lot of REM fans who stopped liking them when you could hear them on something besides college radio. I'll give you 1994-2007, but I don't buy last good album thing...

Dad,

Sorry to hear you don't like REM, to each his own. One less person to compete with for tickets on the next tour.

DadRyan

Posted by: assocfoot | March 1, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

So there's a writer in the family too? Kidding, this is my number one destination for soccer, now topped by a favorite in Mom's blog.

Posted by: lands37 | March 1, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Actually the part of the Outliers book of most interest here were MG's observations about the Canadian youth hockey program and how the early segregation into strict birth years meant that some staggering percentage of the "best" youth had birth dates that made them the oldest (and therefore on average the biggest and most powerful) in their youth cohorts.

Not to digress back to soccer or anything . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | March 1, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Atheists don't have any good holidays.
Posted by: I-270Exit1

Au contraire, we celebrate most of the same holidays everyone else does. And many of us go to church at RFK. ;-)

Posted by: KireDCU | March 1, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

adultery, rape and violent crime are awful because they adversely effect other people. Just because atheists don't believe in a god doesn't mean we aren't human.

Posted by: fedssocr | March 1, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

There's some bands I'd like to name-check
And one of them is R.E.M.
Classic songs with a long history
Southern boys just like you and me

R.E.M.

Flashback to 1983
"Chronic Town" was their first EP
Later on came "Reckoning"
Finster's art...
Titles to match "So. Central Rain"
"(Don't Go Back To) Rockville,"
"Harborcoat"
"Pretty Persuasion,"
You're born to be a "Camera"
"Time After Time"'s my least favorite song
"Time After Time" was my least favorite song

The singer, he had long hair
And the drummer, he knew restraint
And the bassman, he had all the right moves
And that guitar player was no saint

So let's go way back to the ancient times
When there were no fifty states
And on a hill, there stands Sherman
Sherman and his mates...

And they're marching through Georgia
(They're marching through Georgia)
They're marching through Georgia
(G-G-G-G-Georgia)
They're marching through Georgia
(They're marching through Georgia)
They're marching through Georgia
(G-G-G-G-Georgia)

And there stands R.E.M..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | March 1, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

The lowest? Self-identifying atheists in the Northeast.

Posted by: alecw81
===================

In the south, all of those things you mention are crimes. In the Northeast, all of those things are called "parties."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 1, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | March 1, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Just one, Fables of the Reconstruction.
Posted by: I-270Exit1

Dead Letter Office.

Posted by: delantero | March 1, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | March 1, 2010 5:09 PM
__________________________________________

Whatever reasons atheists have, they must be more compelling than the reasons believers have, since the former are so much less likely to engage in these behaviors. If you need more, this may help:

Posted by: universityandpark | March 1, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Interesting thread....

Wife of Insider is an excellent writer and blogger. Check her blog early and often. She is no longer with the Wash Times (who is, anymore?).

It's always a fun read when certain soccer blogs are spinning off the rails...

Posted by: JkR- | March 1, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

When I saw the post subject line and it read "Zidane, DC United...."....well, I can dream, can't I? We need a CAM, dagnabit!!

I'm with those who vote for Chronic Town (my favorite, though it's technically just an EP), Murmur and Reckoning. Critics might like some of their later material, but I like the 80s melodies...before Stipe followed in Bono's footsteps and started taking himself way too seriously as an "Artist".

I can't agree with the vote for Dead Letter Office, though I really love the cover of the Velvet Underground's Femme Fatale.

If Mrs. Insider can't come to Africa, I could chaffeur...You could charge my travel to your expense account, right?

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Life's Rich Pageant

QED

Posted by: billq1 | March 1, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Femme Fatale, Pale Blue Eyes, and There She Goes Again, to be exact.

Lou Reed has never made a better REM album!

Posted by: delantero | March 1, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@delantero -- True dat. All three are good covers. The rest of the album is fairly uninspiring for me.

@benonthehill -- You've got to be kidding?!?! Is the only thing stopping you from going on a killing spree the admonition in the Bible or fear you'll wind up in Hell?

Irrespective of my theistic belief or lack of it, I have a firm moral foundation that rests on the Golden Rule. It's a pretty good yardstick for living, even if it is found among some pretty insane declarations of morality in the Bible that seem to contradict the Golden Rule.

There's a story of one Rabbi who was asked to sum up the Bible in a sentence or two. He said "Do unto others as you would have them do to you...and the rest is just commentary." You don't need to subscribe to a deistic religion to believe in and try to heed that standard of conduct. Also, if morality isn't enough for you, we have laws and there are consequences for violating them.

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Just to offer my own contribution to taking this blog down to road to perdition... but I am amused when theists question the motivation of us atheists for being well-behaved. It suggests that their motivation for avoiding sin is only fear of God's wrath. Look out! He can see into your very soul, and will detect that your motives are fear and self-interest. ;-)

Posted by: glfrazier | March 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Never discuss politics, religion, or Fredy Montero.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

As a Christian, I don't question the moral compass of atheists. I thank them that they have such a compass, whatever the source.

The fact is, everybody worships something. God, Obama, Ayn Rand, mankind, earth, money, your mirror... whatever. The challenge of the Christian is to proudly proclaim their faith in Christ.

The challenge of the atheist is to admit, "I am the ruler of my universe. I am my god."

BTW... how's that working for ya?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 1, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

To summarize this thread:

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight, I'm
Losing my religion

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of Tom Soehn's season, insert United for Olympic . . .

Insider Quiz: Name the Country:

"Those who bear the responsibility for Olympic preparations should carry that responsibility. It's totally clear," he said.

"I think that the individuals responsible, or several of them, who answer for these preparations, should take the courageous decision to hand in their notice. If we don't see such decisiveness, we will help them."

Posted by: delantero | March 1, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

""The fact is, everybody worships something. God, Obama,""

Fishing season doesn't start for a few months.

Posted by: delantero | March 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Everyone who stopped liking REM must have done so because most everyone they new suddenly started liking them because for some strange reason they got some air time. Well, too bad for all of you because REM never changed for the radio. They stayed true to their art. It's not their fault that they somehow became mainstream. REM never sold out. Even Michael Stipe was upset that "The One I Love" got too much radio play because no one understood what the song was really about. Document was a brilliant album. Green was lots of fun. After that, everyone stopped listening again. Oh well.

I-270, you have the best line. I should have let it end there, but I had to jump in.

Posted by: spata1 | March 1, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Ooooo! Soccer Insider has a Geo-Quiz!

Will be interesting to hear what Medvedev says in 2014, when the Winter Olympics are held in a summer resort town where the average low temperature in January and February is 38F. Will he fire all the weathermen?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

@fischy,

Not trying to pick a fight. Very glad so many live by the GR if that seems like the way to go. Just always wondered where that impulse comes from. Figured someone would've offered an evolutionary explanation by now. That's what I'd do if I were an atheist anyway.

Seems like atheists are more common among soccer fans than the general population. Not judging. Just intriguing from a sociological standpoint.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 1, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

My born and raised in Northern Virginia but ran off to Athens to attend UGA wife said, "Oh NO you DIDN'T" when I told her what I was giggling at on here before heading into the kitchen to cook.

And this:Actually, do we still call them "albums"?
Posted by: Rand-al-Thor

Well, I call the 1000 or so records on the shelves in my living room just that, or vinyl. Our collecting has slowed in the last few years due to raising a kid, but vinyl is still final in our household. They still press a lot of stuff on it these days. Believe me.

@bonghits4gomez: There's really NO ALTERNATIVE to Pavement is there? LOL.

Screw it, I'll throw the link in:

@delantero: did you go to the show? The VanillaxPegoretti SpeedVagen track bike was ridiculous. Not to mention everything else. Gold Plated Mountain Bike!?!

Posted by: DadRyan | March 1, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Never discuss politics, religion, or Fredy Montero.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | March 1, 2010 8:51 PM
---------------------------------------------------

I'm betting Fredy was raised in the Catholic Church. So, he would never rape or molest a woman...

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------

There are some recent studies on the topic. Can't quote them chapter and verse, but this level of socialization occurs at very young ages. Long before any sense of religious doctrine.

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

In soccer news, an interesting development:

"MLS is delaying the roster compliance date, originally scheduled for March 1, while discussions continue over related topics with the MLS Players Union. The roster compliance date will be set in the next few weeks."

So, no one has to be cut just yet. Roster decisions don't need to be made while the league tries to work out knew rules and salary caps. Can't wait for Goff's take on this...

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

REM never sold out.

Posted by: spata1

And I never bought in.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

This may surprise you...but the mountain events...will be in the mountains! And they are colder!

Very similar to Vancouver I think, except that their average low is 33-5.

Posted by: Reignking | March 1, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think all these people understand"

Posted by: billq1 | March 1, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

This one? Try turning that big ring up Wisconsin. It does look nice.

No, wasn't there . . got too many bikes . . or so I'm told by you know who.

Posted by: delantero | March 1, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

@fischy,

Not sure that explains where the impulse came from in the first place though. Socialization might explain forces today but it doesn't explain how those forces got so influential. The initial moral impulse came from somewhere.

But seriously. Who's our CAM? Religious affiliation optional.

Posted by: benonthehill | March 1, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you look too young to have a 14-year-old son!
Loved the WOI's blog.
Would not have expected to see self-righteous ignoramuses on here.

Posted by: Shortpump | March 1, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm no ignoramus....

Posted by: fischy | March 1, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

In Mrs. G's blog, I-270, Exit 1 said...

"Maybe he'll bring you a nice vuvuzela."

@I-270, Exit 1: That's not nice; stop trying to break up the Goff's marriage!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 1, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

26 days until United's first match!

Posted by: Curious99 | March 1, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

REM? I like a grand total of ONE of their songs: "Stand."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 2, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Broadcasting and P.A. Request: When speaking of the geographical area, please refer to the location as either "Northern Virginia" or "NOVA," but not "the Northern Virginia" or "the NOVA." We appreciate your cooperation.

Posted by: asfoolasiam | March 2, 2010 5:04 AM | Report abuse

There are no atheists in foxholes...but plenty in Scandanavia!

Posted by: dcarmy | March 2, 2010 5:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: benonthehill | March 1, 2010 10:15 PM
_________________________________________

Posted by: universityandpark | March 2, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | March 1, 2010 9:02 PM
__________________________________________

That is precisely backward. The universe rules us.

Posted by: universityandpark | March 2, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse