AC/DC: AC Milan vs. D.C. United at RFK Stadium?

D.C. United is attempting to arrange a friendly with European titan AC Milan in late May at RFK Stadium, the Insider has learned.

United officials declined comment on the possible Milan visit, but in a press release Thursday announcing the details of its U.S. Open Cup game against Dallas this month, executive vice president Stephen Zack said that "additionally, the club is in the final stage of negotiating three major international friendlies against major European club teams."

Milan, a four-time world champion and seven-time European champion, would play several matches during this postseason tour, with one possibly in Canada. However, coming at the end of a long season and with the World Cup approaching, several star players wouldn't be available. With six league matches remaining, the Rossoneri is in third place in Serie A, just three points behind front-runner Inter Milan and two behind Roma

United's proposed deal with Spanish club Valencia this summer appears to have fallen through and .....

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

D.C. has been engaged in talks with several other teams, soccer industry sources said.

Milan visited Baltimore last summer to play English power Chelsea. Its previous stop in Washington was in 2003 for a friendly against FC Barcelona at RFK.

My first reaction when I learned of the potential Milan visit to Washington was, "Golly gee, Mr. Berlusconi, it sure would be neat of you to bring your world-famous club to our fair city!"

But upon further review, Milan would arrive here within 10 days of completing an exhausting nine-month calendar that included an intense Serie A race, European Champions League play and other domestic competition.

And the traveling squad would be without players bound for the World Cup: Andrea Pirlo, Gianluca Zambrotta, Gennaro Gattuso, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Washington's own Oguchi Onyewu. In addition, David Beckham is injured and Pato might be in Brazil's World Cup mix. That would leave Ronaldinho -- who, at the moment, does not appear to be in Dunga's South Africa plans -- as the star attraction.

We know why Milan wants to come: money and marketing. But what's in it for United? Money. A high-profile event. International exposure. A test for its players. But squeezed into the middle of the league schedule, does it really benefit Curt Onalfo's squad?

By Steve Goff  |  April 9, 2010; 10:36 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Italy , MLS  | Tags: AC Milan, Chelsea FC, D.C. United, F.C. Internazionale Milano, FC Barcelona, Serie A, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV listings
Next: Andy Najar out, Chris Pontius in for D.C. United

Comments

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Moneytalks

Posted by: VTUnited | April 9, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Let the crazy speculation begin:

This friendly is essentially a hand off of Clarence Seedorf. He'll play for Milan, and then at full time it will be announced that he's United's new designated player starting in the August transfer window. Also, beer will be free for the rest of the season.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Beyond Pato and seeing Gooch, I don't get excited about seeing AC Milan at all, especially a B team version. I hope the other friendlies are against more intriguing competition AND in the August timeframe, where we can see the stars getting minutes to get their match fitness back.

Posted by: daandre3 | April 9, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@Chest_Rockwell

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 9, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure we would end up going, the SO is a huge fan of Milan.

I do not have a lot of interest in seeing the B/C team of Milan. At least the match might be closer than 5-0 like it would be now.

Funny you should bring that up Chest...

Posted by: strago | April 9, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ronaldinho and Ben's Chili Bowl at Estadio RFK at the same time...if DC United picks up any concessions money for this, I think that's enough to guarantee profitability for the season.

Posted by: daandre3 | April 9, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Will RFK get a new pitch by then? Or will a top class team like Milan be subject to football lines and the tons of sand that was on display Sat. against NER?

Back in Black, of course.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | April 9, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Seems like a waste. Why wouldn't Milan come after the World Cup when the team is preparing for a new season? What does either side gain from playing in May? Well besides money...

Posted by: Solnoir | April 9, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Sounds to me that United has been given a mandate to become profitable at any cost, including the league product on the field.

Ca$h Grab United.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | April 9, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Once again, I want some of what Chest_Rockwell is smoking...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame the club for trying to make some money, I mean I ponied up big bucks in the scorching heat to sit at FEDEX with all the "white shirts" last summer with the knowledge that I was somehow helping the club. However, charity only goes so far. Granted, Milan's B team probably is pretty damn good but I'll pass on that one thank you.

Posted by: sbg1 | April 9, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

@Cest -- Sounds good to me. He could play a half with each team. Only problem is he still has a year left on his deal.

Posted by: fischy | April 9, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Anything that helps shore up the financial situation for DC United to help (a) keep the team in DC and (b) help build a stadium is perfectly fine by me. Plus, if they make enough money off the game like they did from the Real Madrid game, they can use it for special promotions like $2 Beer Night (and hopefully pull it off a little better this time)!

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 9, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't we try to compete with MLS teams before trying the best teams in the world?

Posted by: jake77 | April 9, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I just want AC/DC on Itunes.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 9, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor: These will work for AC/DC and all your vinyl.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Milan/Barca game in 2003. I can't believe it was 7 years ago. If I remember correctly, it was either Ronaldinho's first game for Barca, or his first goal. Either way, it was amazing to see all of the stars up close.

I'll still go see them to get a chance to see Abate, Antonini, and Milan's other rising stars. But it doesn't make sense why this is scheduled before the World Cup.

Posted by: wanker82 | April 9, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Hell's Bells, really?

Posted by: troy6 | April 9, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Steve, seems like a waste of time to me. Why don't we concentrate on MLS play for once?

Posted by: andrew23 | April 9, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

@Rand-al-Thor, pretty sure DCU will have a stadium before you see AC/DC on iTunes.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 9, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

It's A Long Way To The Top

Posted by: beergorila | April 9, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Milan also made a stop at RFK to win the Italian SuperCup over Torino. In 1993. So can't complain about them not playing an MLS side while in America, or about United needlessly clogging up their schedule.

Posted by: tellyunited | April 9, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

AC Milan Uber Reserves and youth players vs DC United? No thanks.

Posted by: delantero | April 9, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I saw Milan in Atlanta last summer, and it was a quality match.

That said...I don't think DCU is going anywhere this year, so go for the money. I don't mind the fixture congestion.

Posted by: Reignking | April 9, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Berlusconi is also probably coming along to "befriend" more teenage girls :-)

Posted by: Charisma_Man | April 9, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jake77 | April 9, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

=====================

It might be interesting to see if a team could lose to the Ocean City Barons and beat AC Milan in consecutive weeks.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

For those about to rock in Philly on Saturday, I salute you. Have a safe trip there and back, and if you see my cousins from Essington -- they're the ones throwing beer at you -- tell them I said "hi."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 9, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Milan's third team vs an assorted cast of United players? Sounds great and I'd go, if played at the Soccerplex.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 9, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

By the way, with this possibly coming to RFK, other friendlies and the Open Cup (not going to Boyds) - does anyone think the front office is trying to drum up a little "look how many matches we can plan at a stadium" for District politicians? Hmm

Posted by: Kev29 | April 9, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

One other consideration. Those 5 pesky "special games" they've promised season-ticket holders. I presume these international friendlies will be offered to the season-ticketholders as part of the package they've already paid for. Plus, it'll probably be in RFK, and they won't be able to charge anything like last summer's prices. So, it won't be the huge money-earner last year's Real Madrid match was. I think that one big reason for having these games is to keep faith with the plan ticketholders. The have to offer games like this, or stop charging for the special games in the yearly package.

Posted by: fischy | April 9, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

i don't know... i'm not saying i won't go. i went to the madrid game, after all, with its hellish conditions and ridiculous prices, but that had some obvious appeal, with madrid's new signings. milan without a lot of their best players? no onyewu, even? seems kind of pointless.

maybe milan should call this their "fleecing americans so we can maybe have enough money to buy some younger players" tour. i'd buy that t-shirt!

i don't think fixture congestion is any kind of concern, though, for a couple of reasons:

(a) it's just some leisurely friendly and probably shouldn't have a debilitating effect on the conditioning of a group of professional athletes;

(b) we suck this year anyway, so who cares.

Posted by: stairs | April 9, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

uh, fischy. how many season ticket holders to you think DCU have. I'm guessing it's really not that many. I mean, I know some of you, but seriously.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

So the friendly could be a perk to keep the ticket holders happy?

Wait for it...

You mean they might be Giving the Dog a Bone?

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | April 9, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Said it before, say it again:

In season Friendlies are STOOPID! The game does not matter. If a game DOES NOT MATTER, what's the point of watching it?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 9, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Danny Allsopp is Thunderstruck by this potential matchup. i'd love to see him play in an Angus Young replica kit.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 9, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I think Ronaldinho actually makes the Brazil squad for South Africa.

@Charisma_Man- I think the craigslist girls are below what Burlosconi is used to...;)

Posted by: alan19 | April 9, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I wish this team would worry more about trying to find the back of the net instead of arranging games with international teams. Why embarrass ourselves even more?

Posted by: stwasm | April 9, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stwasm

The good news is, it wasn't Moreno, Pontius, Allsopp and Quaranta scheduling the friendly, so this wasn't taking away from their focus on scoring. The bad news is

a) They still can't score
b) The guys scheduling the friendly likely are the ones that are supposed to be bringing in new players that CAN score, and all quiet on that front...

Posted by: daandre3 | April 9, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

AC Milan v United match should be talked about, but having it at the RFK venue is an insult to all footballing supporters. The District politicians should not get a penny of revenue from any and all internationals. They deserve nothing for their opposition to the soccer-specific complex. DC United have paid their dues at RFK.

Posted by: juke2 | April 9, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

why is anyone complaining about this? regardless of motive ($$), its pretty cool that one of the biggest clubs in the world thinks highly enough of DCU to consider coming here to play a friendly (when is the last time you heard about a huge Euro club coming over to play Columbus?). its an opportunity for the club to make some extra cash, get the brand in front of some new faces, and show the city that a soccer stadium would host more than the 15 or so league matches on the regular season sked.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 9, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Tie down Ronaldinho in the RFK locker room and make him sign a contract as our next DP.

He's lost a step anyway, and DC is a fun city. It'll work out for everyone.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 9, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

DC United have paid their dues at RFK.

Posted by: juke2 | April 9, 2010 1:03 PM

----------------------------------------------------

They pay their rent, too...which, I'm guessing, is why the team prefers RFK. It cost DCU an extra million dollars to rent FedEx last year.

@Dad -- my point was that the team wants more plan buyers. They have increased the amount of games and the prices with the addition of special games, but they can also enhance the appeal of the plans, if they make those games more attractive than just a lame USOC qualifier against Dallas.

Posted by: fischy | April 9, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The Milan friendly will be held at the Ravens stadium in advance of United's move to Aberdeen.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited

You think AC actually cares who they are playing? They would take on any team in any major US city. Heck, they played in Atlanta last year against America.

Posted by: Reignking | April 9, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

they're the ones throwing beer at you -- tell them I said "hi."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
-----------------------
wow, you have a LOT of cousins! I always thought all those people from Philly seemed related...

Posted by: troy6 | April 9, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

In a dream world, at the end of real time. DC United could announce that Berlusconi has purchased an interest in the team and will contribute to the building of a stadium in the District. Maybe then Mr. Fenty will wake up...

Posted by: jnel | April 9, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

------------

DCU actually had almost 13,000 season tickets sold - on par with the Caps and Bullets. but after being a sucking chest wound the last couple of years at the same time as a crappy economy its down to below 9,000.

However, the economy is not as big a factor as one would think: considering the cost of hockey tickets it is surprising that the Caps are 85% sold out for season tickets. KP just needs to ask Ted Leonsis what the benefits are of being a winner......

Posted by: Section107 | April 9, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

club friendlies should be in the summer, when it works for both teams.

MLS is on a league break for 2 weeks (during the first round of the WC) from June 11-25.

a night friendly at RFK wouldn't conflict with tv viewing of the WC games. June (and not May or August) seems like the time that United should be setting up international friendlies. But money talks, and United I'm sure will take these "high profile" games when they can get them, even if that means disrupting the MLS schedule.

Posted by: tab5g1 | April 9, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

How did Ronaldinho fall so far? Just a few years ago, he was arguably the best in the world, and unquestionably in the top five. Now he's not going to make Brazil's World Cup squad?

I know Brazil is full of outstanding players, but who is bumping him out?

Posted by: WorldCup | April 9, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

they're the ones throwing beer at you -- tell them I said "hi."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor
-----------------------

Posted by: troy6 | April 9, 2010 2:08 PM
================

Yeah, but MY cousins will be the ones smiling at you as the beer rains down. They do it in a nice way.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 9, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Why all the vitriol for an in-season friendly when United doesn't have many extra-curricular activities to worry about?

It's not like we're in ChampionsLeague, or Superliga... and likely won't be in the Open Cup either.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 9, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section107 | April 9, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't hurt that Ted is a marketing genius as well.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 9, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I know it's a catch 22 with season ticket sales and packages.
In a perfect world the rosters are deeper and MLS clubs continue to improve in Champions League as the tournament itself becomes stronger. Then instead of dreading those extra CCL games they will actually be bringing non STHrs out to the games. I'd prefer CCL games to friendlies, heck even super liga type tournaments if the prize money was legit for the players risking themselves in them.

I do say that for folks holding season tickets right now, it's gotta be a nice change of pace if they happen to get hooked up with the glamour games. Seattle ticket holders got Barca, Chelsea and the MLS Cup in their package. That's a fairly sweet deal.

I know STHrs are on the wane, but believe me, the day they break ground is the day we put a deposit down for tickets of my own.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

"...the day they break ground is the day we put a deposit down for tickets of my own."

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 5:04 PM
===================

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 9, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

The way they're playing now, DC United couldn't find its rear end with both hands and now there's talk of a friendly with AC Milan? Someone better pray it's the reserve team's reserve team they send. It's the only way DCU has a chance of even scoring.

Posted by: hofbrauhausde | April 11, 2010 6:03 AM | Report abuse