Americans abroad

With the World Cup approaching, our Sunday roundup is now limited to players in contention for a U.S. roster slot, well-known veterans and other notable performances. Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Stuart Holden (Bolton) and Charlie Davies (Sochaux) are recuperating from long-term injuries.

GOALKEEPERS
Tim Howard 90 (PK save) in Everton's 2-2 tie with West Ham
Marcus Hahnemann 90 in Wolves' 1-0 loss at Arsenal
("Hahnemann's excellent form was Gunners' main obstacle")
Brad Friedel 90 in Aston Villa's 1-0 win at Bolton

Jose Francisco Torres 90 in Pachuca's 2-1 win at Indios
Ricardo Clark in 18, didn't play in Eintracht's 3-2 win over Leverkusen
Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro at AIK on Monday
FORWARDS
Jozy Altidore 26 in Hull City's 2-0 loss at Stoke
Herculez Gomez last 45 (goal) in Puebla's 1-1 tie at Morelia
(Eight goals in 10 matches for the former MLSer)
Kenny Cooper 9 in Plymouth's 2-1 win at Doncaster
Freddy Adu, Eddie Johnson and Aris off this weekend

Edu's goal:

By Steve Goff  |  April 4, 2010; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United rewind
Next: Monday kickaround

Comments

Sign Gomez up! Goal is a great finish. Pretty good weekend for us aboard. Would have liked to see Beasley play -he does get time for Rangers but it has been bit part recently.

Now, lets get our remaining injured players back playing and I will be pumped.

Link to Gomez: (Goal starts around 30 seconds.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 4, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

At this point, you have to call Gomez into camp in May. It'd be silly not to do so.

Ching, Davies are injured. Ching should be back, but will arrive at camp without games. Davies is still a huge question mark.

Casey, Findley, Cunningham, Pontius, Cooper, Adu, and Johnson, and "insert name" just aren't going to cut it.

Posted by: delantero | April 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

At least, this video isn't an Auto-Play. Refresh this page without any fear. Edu made a heckuva run, coming across the width of the box to find an open area.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: delantero | April 4, 2010 2:33 PM |
-------------------------------------------------------

For a second, I thought you were talking about Christian Gomez and I was wondering why wait until May....

Posted by: fischy | April 4, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Delantro... I think you right none of those names will cut it. My only question is will Gomez? I am inclined to pick Gomez over all those names just because he is on form. I would take four strikers. On current form (excluding injuries), they are:

Altidore
Johnson
Gomez
Casey

(Not a good list, I know)

I hate Casey but Bob likes a target forward. Johnson can kind of do the target forward too. With these strikers, I would start Dempsey up top with Altidore. I would actually give Casey the nod over a healthy Ching but that is like picking bad over bad -they both probably won't be affective against top opponents. Johnson gets the nod because he is in Europe and Davies is still injured. Clearly, I want Davies over everyone. My list can change based on form. Edson Buddle anyone?

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 4, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Guti for DCU?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

With sincere respect to Mr. Casey, he has OVER ACHIEVED as an MLSer and is simply is NOT skilled enough to contribute on the INTERNATIONAL stage. Coach Bradley may like a "post up man", but the skill set requires footwork, ball control, and poise...Mr. Casey is severely lacking in these areas.

Dempsey has demonstrated these abilities as well as the sense lead runners into space. The fact that he can turn & link up is a plus :) and the occasional rocket on frame make him your best choice to tandem up top!

Posted by: oneborntwice | April 4, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

What is Kenny Cooper up to these days - is he on the injured list, or the not injured but not seeing any playing time with his club team list?

Posted by: emanon13 | April 4, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

oops - guess I need to work on my reading skills, on the second pass saw that Cooper was included in Goff's report . . . guess the better question is could he be an answer to the forward problem?

Posted by: emanon13 | April 4, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

It sure was nice of that Monarcas defender to bring the ball down for Herculez like that. Eight goals in 10 matches are impressive, but I'd have to see something more before believing that he's ready for a World Cup roster.

Of course, 'something more' could just be a list of lousy alternatives.

Posted by: hungrypug | April 4, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"Cooper was included in Goff's report . . . guess the better question is could he be an answer to the forward problem?"

If he isn't the apparent answer for Plymouth we are in bad shape if is an attempt at answering anything for the USMNT.

Posted by: csd1 | April 4, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't get why people us caps to make a point. Like yelling at me will get me to change my mind.

I agree that Casey has overachieved, and in my post, I said I would start Dempsey up top with Altidore. We need a back up as a target striker. Who else is this besides Ching or Casey (possible Johnson)? Neither Ching or Casey have the skills sets to be effective at the international level, but we need cover in case of injury. Who else is out there?

I want Davies but he has to see the field.

To change the topic. If taken to South Africa, Holden; Onyewu; and Davies all will have played around five games each (at this point) before the World Cup. Holden has played two and a half games since the end of the last MLS season. Davies last appearance was away in Honduras, and Onyewu home to Costa Rica at RFK. They are good players but they all are not playing a lot, or at all.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 4, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd go with:

Dempsey, Altidore

Donovan, Edu, Bradley, Holden

Posted by: delantero | April 4, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey, Altidore

Donovan, Edu, Bradley, Holden

Posted by: delantero | April 4, 2010 5:33 PM

I bet that's what we'll see, but with Donovan and Dempsey moving around a bit. More contemporary 4-5-1 than traditional 4-4-2.

I'm really not too worried about that end of the pitch (other than Jozy not really having a good spring). It's the back four that will determine our fate in South Africa. We always have to "over perform" to succeed in major tournaments - let's hope it's more 2002 and less 1998 (I though we were just in too tough a group in Germany).

Posted by: Kev29 | April 4, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Kev you right it is all about our back four. Though, Bradley really likes to defend, team shape wise, in a 4-4-2. It allows for easier higher pressure (Yes, Barcalona press high in a 4-3-3 but their Barcalona, were US). I do think when in possession Dempsey will be given the green light to do what he wishes. I, certainly, am alright with that.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 4, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

DC beat Philly today. By taking their QB.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

haha Reignking. I wonder what moves DC United has got in store now.....

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 4, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I might have to get traded to the Union -- DCU is the only non-Philly team I cheer for, so this McNabb trade is awful.

Posted by: Reignking | April 4, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm with delantero - please pair Edu with Bradley in midfield. Also great to have Hahnemann in good form in case Timmy gets hurt.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 4, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | April 4, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Back 4? or 6...

I'm assuming we will have four guys covering Rooney so we should probably have one or two others just in case he still gets through.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 5, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

My new Argy Bargy strategy is to start whomever DC is playing against. I'll be top of the table in two weeks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 5, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

No way I pick up a Union player :)

Posted by: Reignking | April 5, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Watford has another game today, vs. 2nd-place West Brom. Tough turnaround for a squad one point from relegation.

Posted by: Reignking | April 5, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Goodson 90 in Start's 5-3 win over VĂ¥lerenga. DeMerit 80 in Watford's 1-1 draw with West Brom.

Posted by: soccerman | April 5, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse