Bayern Munich to Euro Champions League final

logo

Image via Wikipedia

Croatian forward Ivica Olic scored three goals Tuesday as visiting Bayern Munich overcame the absence of suspended star Franck Ribery and advanced to the UEFA Champions League final for the first time in nine years with a resounding 3-0 victory (4-0 on aggregate) over Lyon.

Thomas Mueller beat two defenders to set up Olic in the 26th minute and, after Lyon captain Cris was sent off in the 59th, Olic collected Hamit Altintop's timely pass to score on an angled one-timer in the 67th. He added an eight-yard header on Philipp Lahm's cross in the 78th.

Olic has scored seven goals in the tournament, one fewer than Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

Bayern -- which won the first leg at home last week on Arjen Robben's superb goal from distance -- will face Inter Milan or Barcelona in the May 22 championship match at Madrid's Estadio Bernabeu (Fox's national network, 2:30 p.m. ET). The Inter-Barca series will conclude Wednesday at Camp Nou with the Italians holding a 3-1 lead over the reigning champions (2:30 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports Espanol).

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 27, 2010; 4:32 PM ET
Categories:  Euro Champions League , France , Germany  | Tags: Arjen Robben, Bayern Munich, Camp Nou, Fox Soccer Channel, Ivica Olic, Lionel Messi, UEFA Champions League, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes
Next: Bob Bradley's salary and USSF finances

Comments

I don't know if Lyon could have scored with another 90 minutes, but the decision to send of Cris was ridiculous

Posted by: teo_68 | April 27, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Pretty petty second yellow to Cris, but no way Bayern was going to lose that tie regardless. It would have stayed 1-0 on the night.

Posted by: rss317 | April 27, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Not only Cris, but the first yellow awarded as well (to the 21 y/o, not sure who...). As the commentators stated, for him to miss the final because of a tackle that wasn't even a foul, much less a card, would have been heinous. But, now that is a moot point... Hope Bayern puts up a fight against Inter/Barca

Posted by: carmines757 | April 27, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Germany rolls over France! (Again)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 27, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: teo_68 | April 27, 2010 4:40 PM

Yeah, the tie was pretty much won when Munich scored first. Lyon needed three from there on.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Just gotta say that the new FIFA10 South Africa is awesome from my first impression. Unless of course you don't like vuvuzelas...I'm sure you can turn them down, but the game itself is very nice and I'm stoked I took advantage of the presale and coupon code to knock 1/3 of the retail price.

I played a quick US/England match and went up on a Donovan to Dempsey header corner only to have a boneheaded defensive breakdown in the last ten minutes allowing Jermain Defoe to equalize. Held out for the draw....
My lineup

------Timmy-------
Spector-Gooch-Demerit-Boca
--Bradley--Clark----
Donovan---------Gringo-
----Dempsey--Altidore--

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Awful lineup DadRyan, I would fire you..... Is Davies in the game? Is he fit in it? These may be stupid questions but I gave my 360 to my brother a year ago. Of coarse I regret this decision and miss FIFA very much. Also, I can no longer afford a 360. Man that was a mistake....

Olic could be the worst good striker I have ever seen. It always seems that he is stumbling over the ball and doesn't have a good touch. Yet he scored 3 today in a CL semi and twice against Man United. I think this Bayern team is a lot better than people (English Press) give them credit for. They really do keep the ball well. I still think they got lucky against United though.

I kind of want Inter to win tomorrow. People can say what they want but a Bayern Inter final will be exciting. Snjider v Robben anyone? Plus I have grown sour of watching half the Barca team fall down, roll around, and scream at the ref every three seconds. (I am mainly talking about the cry baby known as Daniel Alves. Can't stand him.)

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 27, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl -- If you have watching people fall down and then yell at the ref, you'll have problems watching Robben... He's got amazing skill, and most of the time, he is fouled, but he protests just as much when he isn't fouled.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 27, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

edgeonyou... Certainly he dives. In fact, most do. I can't ever win a debate trying to say one team in pure. I admire Barcelona's style of play. I really do not care who wins tomorrow. I just want to see a good game -unfortunately in non-HD. Having said that, I have currently grown annoyed of Barcelona's antics. At times they play the game as if no one should be allowed to tackle them.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 27, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

dude, I think Arizona is getting to you. Next thing you know you'll be asking to see Xavi's "papers"...

I haven't used Davies yet in the game. His numbers aren't as high as others, then again why would anyone really expect them to be?I was trying to experiment with line ups that are a little more likely IMHO. He shone bright in the Confed, and endeared himself to many scoring at Azteca, but he really had just started to come out of the woodwork when he found himself way on the outside looking in.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Try this very fast lineup and you'll never lose in FIFA south africa. I used it during the online world cup mode and was unstoppable because of the player's acceleration ratings.

--------------Howard-----------------
Dulo-----demerit--boca-----bornstein
Holden---Bradley-----torres--dempsey
----------davies-----donovan------------

Posted by: donosaur | April 28, 2010 3:47 AM | Report abuse

word donosaur, you were the one who dropped the coupon code on us originally, no? Thanks again!
Cheers.