Biden to Philly, Fulham to semis, MLS, Emilio

*Vice President Joe Biden will participate in pregame ceremonies Saturday for the expansion Philadelphia Union's home debut against D.C. United at Lincoln Financial Field. He will be joined by Philly native Walter Bahr, 83, a member of the 1950 U.S. World Cup squad that upset England.

*In the works for weeks and now official: MLS will permit clubs to add two homegrown players (signed from their youth academy) to the first-team squad, increasing the roster limit to 26. United has been working under those guidelines all spring with academy signings Bill Hamid and Andy Najar in camp. With the roster expansion approved and Hamid and Najar essentially becoming the 25th and 26th players, the club may now formally add goalkeeper Andrew Quinn and defender Jordan Graye.

*Despite American midfielder Clint Dempsey's absence with a thigh injury, Fulham won at Wolfsburg, 1-0, to win the Europa League quarterfinal series on 3-1 aggregate. Fulham will be joined in the semifinals by Hamburg, Atletico Madrid and Liverpool.

*Following up on the earlier report about Luciano Emilio, the Brazilian striker told me late today that he hopes Philadelphia's hard bargaining with D.C. United as part of the Troy Perkins trade this past winter will not impact the talks involving his potential move to the Union.

"I understand that they need to do a trade that is fair, but if there is a problem [from the previous trade between the clubs], it should not affect me," he said. "I want it to happen, so I can play again and take care of my family."

When he returned to the United States from Brazil last week, he said he was under the impression that a deal was close to being finalized. He said he does not know what other team(s) are interested in acquiring him.

*DCU's U.S. Open Cup preliminary-round match against FC Dallas will be April 28 at RFK Stadium. The winner will face Real Salt Lake or San Jose in another prelim game.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 8, 2010; 8:44 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , England , MLS  | Tags: Atlético Madrid, Clint Dempsey, DC United, Fulham, Joe Biden, Luciano Emilio, Philadelphia Union, Troy Perkins, UEFA Europa League
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Emilio eager to return to MLS, play for Philly
Next: Weekend TV listings

Comments

Biden to Philly? That's a big f***ing deal.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

They did needs some help with some creativity up top.

Cool thing with the iPhone, I can sign in on the thing, like I couldn't on my blackberry. Remembering my login stuff is a different story...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 8, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Never mind the guilt trip Luci. If Philly wants it bad enough they'll pay, just like United had to for Perkins. You may be able to go crying to Goff, but this is business, not a congregation.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

"did needs"

Muy estupido.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 8, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Two Seventy, you beat me to it!

. . . great for futbol to be recognized and I like the 1950's touch, although I have a feeling we'll be hearing that 50's theme ad nauseum for months.

Posted by: delantero | April 8, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@270, world class strike good buddy! :)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

"did needs"

Muy estupido.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 8, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I-270 with the strike of the month!

Posted by: JkR- | April 8, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd say that the hold-up is DC's impending game with Philly. No sense in handing another team a potential goal-scoring threat right before you play them.

And, yes, even if Emilio hasn't had any practice time with Philly, I'm sure that Nowak would throw him out there just to screw with DC players and FO.

Posted by: jason1551 | April 8, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Emilio, who has been in Washington the past week and will return to Brazil on Friday before flying back to the United States next week. "

The guy who writes the 'facts' for this blog, 'Steve Goff' wrote that up top, above the comments.

For those wondering if the coming Philly game had any impact on the deal...

Posted by: JkR- | April 8, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | April 8, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Just looking at FIFA World Cup 2010 by EA Sports. There's a demo available if you have a PlayStation or Xbox Live... I don't have FIFA10 yet... For you gamer nerds out there, if you were in my position would you get it when it comes out or would you maybe take advantage of a price dip on regular FIFA10 when the FIFAWC10 drops?

Still playing my FIFA09... Still ok, but...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Good for United. I hope they continue to hard bargain Philly and Nowak!

Posted by: redskinsux | April 8, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

dont let Biden Speak...gotta be the most embarrassing VP in US History. I'd rather have Obama there and maybe he can get into Fenty's ear to get that stadium done.

Posted by: godpere | April 8, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

The most embarrassing VP ever? My, what short memories we have.

Posted by: fischy | April 8, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Ives says Philly is calling DC's bluff and looking to sign Carlos Ruiz back from Puebla....

Posted by: fischy | April 9, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Still playing my FIFA09... Still ok, but...

Posted by: DadRyan

Its such a ripoff the way EA does it with the fifa 10 AND World Cup versions, but ya gotta do it don't you? I know i will. 10 is worth it but then again i'll get both so i may not be the best person to ask. 10 has most of the international teams though so if you had to choose i'd go with 10. Then again i haven't seen the demo yet. Time to get on the ps3!

Posted by: Brian76 | April 9, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't have live...and as awesome as it is to have a hundred club teams you'll never bother playing with, there is something very intriguing about a game that could actually have the El Salvador, Honduras, Cuba, Guatemala, etc. in it. Not to mention the Netherlands.

When's EA really going to get to work and just make a World Club Cup game and just get it over with already...?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

downloaded the world cup demo today and it's an improvement over fifa 10. the goalkeepers are definitely smarter which makes it harder to score goals. the graphics and presentation are top notch.

tip: the online electronic arts website have a deal going on until tomorrow. $20 off any game. I preordered the world cup game for ~$43 with the coupon. Use code# PAXEAST842

Posted by: donosaur | April 9, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Donosaur's match rating: 10.3

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 9, 2010 4:25 AM | Report abuse

Maybe we should sign Bahr to a Generation Adidas contract before Saturday--we need all the help we can get!

Posted by: dcarmy | April 9, 2010 5:34 AM | Report abuse

If we sign Bahr, he'll pull a hammy.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 9, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

"Stand up, Chuck, let 'em see ya."

–-Joe Biden, to Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, who is in a wheelchair, Columbia, Missouri, Sept. 12, 2008

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 9, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

William Jeffrey (1950 US Coach), Walt Bahr, and JkR- all lived in Boalsburg, Pa...

Walt still lives there...

Posted by: JkR- | April 9, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

*I'd rather be one of 5,000 at the SoccerPlex for the Open Cup match than one of 5,000 (at best) at RFK.

*Speaking of the Plex, the home opener for the Freedom (v Breakers) and the Germantown Biergarten is tomorrow at 7. No Post coverage this year? No WPS preview, no Freedom update, just . . . . squadoosh.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Has anybody seen the giant Abby around town? Not regular Abby, this 50 foot Abby.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

And lastly, excellent coverage of last week's Freedom scrimmage v UNC from a familiar scribe . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century"
-Dan Quayle 9/15/88

"Conservation may be a sign of personal virtue but it is not a sufficient basis for a sound, comprehensive energy policy"
-Dick Cheney 4/30/01

OH and don't forget this one:
"Go f*ck yourself"
Dick Cheney--to Senator Patrick Leahy on the Senate floor during a discussion about Haliburton.6/25/04

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks that either Cheney or Biden is the most embarassing VP of our times is just not old enough to include Ted, I mean Spiro, Agnew within "our times."

Posted by: OWNTF | April 9, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

-"“The Taoiseach knows a lot about it. His Mom lived in Long Island for 10 years or so… God rest her soul…,” Biden said."

Biden speaking of Ireland’s Prime Minister Brian Cowen’s LIVING mother.

-Biden Reveals Location of Secret VP Bunker

There's plenty of Biden blunders, (Google Biden's Blunder's") he just gets a pass b/c he's a Democrat.

Let's keep this soccer, not politcal

Posted by: boda-united | April 9, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan - the World Cup versions usually have improved presentations/graphics over the regular game (as do the Euro and UCL versions, I think). but like Brian76 pointed out, FIFA10 has just about every major club/League in the world, and the international squads. So the World Cup edition is usually like half a game, the only real bonus is that it has the World Cup license. that being said, I'm a rube and will buy it too.

and as an MLS fan, I wish EA would come up with a way to accurately include the League in the game, rather than just akwardly fit it to the model it uses for the foreign leagues. the last time I checked, MLS isn't single table, and you cant pay transfer fees within the League (maybe I wish MLS was more like Fifa10...). and how about including the CCL or Superliga? no respect.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 9, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh please. Who started with the nit picking anyway? What's that? Another conservative who seems to forget the complete embarrassment that W was. Are you saying he didn't get a pass to be a dunce because he was a Republican?

Anyway, in case you didn't notice the Vice Prez's name is the first word in the header dude.

I avoid the political discussion most of the time, but if people are really going to wage their own personal smear campaign, don't complain when a "democrat" counters.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Biden was great at the NCAA women's final. Obviously having a good time, nice comments. No politics. Just what you want in a vice president at a sports event. I don't see why you can't think the guy's a bit of a goofball and still like him, leaving politics entirely aside.

Posted by: dccal | April 9, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: godpere | April 8, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Uuuuuhhhhh nnnnnoooooo! I give you Spiro Agnew, Dan Quayle, and Andrew Johnson (had to include him because he was probably the worst US president when he succeeded Lincoln) just to name a few. Biden isn't even in the conversation yet. Way too early for such a comment.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 9, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"...........

Let's keep this soccer, not politcal"

Nice, get your political digs in, then the half-hearted plea to keep it on soccer. Do as I say, not as...

Posted by: hogmesh | April 9, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@VTUnited, I heard FIFA10 has added the Netherlands, but are there more International selections than 09? More CONCACAF and CONMEBOL teams? That's what I'm missing.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 9, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan, found a list of the 41 teams here: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/fifasoccer10/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-51859198&pid=960428

so yeah, other than the Netherlands, not much new, if anything. World Cup version might be the one for you

Posted by: VTUnited | April 9, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Walt still lives there...

Posted by: JkR- | April 9, 2010 8:59 AM
________________________________________

My ex-Centre Hall friends speak highly of Duffy's Tavern in Boalsburg.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 9, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Walt still lives there...

Posted by: JkR- | April 9, 2010 8:59 AM
________________________________________

My ex-Centre Hall friends speak highly of Duffy's Tavern in Boalsburg.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 9, 2010 2:30 PM

Duffy's puts the Local in local tavern..

Posted by: JkR- | April 9, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse