Davies, Joseph, Beckham, Movsisyan, Euro TV

*American forward Charlie Davies has resumed full training with his French club, Sochaux. Nevertheless, he is not scheduled to play in a competitive match the remainder of the season. So if he is invited to U.S. camp at Princeton in three weeks -- yes, I do believe he will be there, as long as he regains fitness -- he will need to prove himself in training sessions and in the friendlies against the Czech Republic and Turkey in order to secure a spot on the 23-man World Cup roster.

*Midfielder Shalrie Joseph, the most important player for the New England Revolution, has been granted an indefinite leave of absence to attend to "personal matters." People will always think the worst when vague terms are used, but from I'm told, this has nothing to do with his injury problems or any possible contract or legal issues.

*David Beckham, sidelined with an Achilles' tendon injury, "won't be running for another three months, so I will be playing again in, probably, November," he said. Which means, after wishfully thinking he would return to the Los Angeles Galaxy lineup in September, he will not play in MLS this season.

*In Denmark, former Real Salt Lake forward Yura Movsisyan maintained his fine form with a pair of goals in 12 minutes of the first half to lead Randers over Midtjylland, 2-0.

For the UEFA Champions League TV schedule this week.....

Tuesday
Lyon-Bayern Munich 2:30 p.m. ET, Comcast SportsNet/DC, Fox Sports Net, Fox Sports Espanol (tape at 5 and 8 on Fox Soccer Channel)

Wednesday
Barcelona-Inter Milan 2:30 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Sports Espanol

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 26, 2010; 4:53 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Americans Abroad , Beckham , Euro Champions League , MLS , TV  | Tags: Charlie Davies, David Beckham, Los Angeles Galaxy, Major League Soccer, New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake, Soccer, UEFA Champions League, Yura Movsisyan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United drawing crowds, but ...
Next: Tuesday kickaround

Comments

Hate to say it, but I think that is likely the end of Beck's on field soccer career. Worst kind of injury to recover from and at his age it doesn't get any easier.

Posted by: Ruthie1 | April 26, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Blitzkrieg!

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Bavaria again!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 26, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Got my tix for the USA/Turkey match in the mail today, really mind blowing to think that we could be seeing Davies in that match. Seems like it was yesterday that we were holding up those 9's at RFK for him.

Keep it up Charlie!

I need some secret weapon Fantasy Tactics to get past Chest_Rockwell in the Argy Bargy CL this week. With very similar lineups, there has got to be some formula that will pay out big with a little luck...

Also looking for any news about Geoff Cameron's knee. Did he get that scan yet?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

The return of Charlie Davies is possible!

Steve, Wesley Sneijder (Inter Milan) is a serious doubt for Wednesday's game in Barcelona.
And a new story that you should write: Give a ring (as in the NBA) voted best player at World Cup.
Greetings from Spain.

Posted by: noonan_17 | April 26, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Beckham have one year left on his contract after this season? If he does then I would expect him to give MLS a shot next season. He would have nothing to lose and his chances of not making the roster would be slim and none.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 26, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Yura Movsisyan, but I'm not.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 26, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know Movsisyan's international status? Does he have interest/citizenship to play for the USA? I don't remember being terribly impressed when I saw him in MLS but he can't be worse than the last few strikers we've tried in friendlies.

Posted by: EricVilhelmsen | April 26, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

continued thread:

"The stadium (Nationals Stadium) speaks for itself, the weather was great, and we really had a good time."

Posted by: mbyrd28 | April 26, 2010 7:08 PM

====================================

Now turn that around. The stadium speaks for itself (a dump), the parking lot is a disaster but the backstabbing DC government still charges United stadium rent anyway, and now a beer costs $10 (which mostly goes to the backstabbing DC government). Fenty sucks!

Posted by: croftonpost | April 26, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Yura holds a green card and has stated his interest in gaining full citizenship and wearing the stars and stripes. He's not Jozy, but the dude scores goals and plays with passion and desire, and I'd be happy to have him.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 26, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Per wikipedia: "Movsisyan came to the United States seeking asylum in "late 2001 or 2002." Upon coming to the US, the family settled in the Los Angeles area, with its large Armenian community."

and from armeniapedia [citing to an MLS story from 2006]
"The United States, Yura Movsisyan says, is "a dream world," and he knows only one way to demonstrate how thankful he is to live here. "The only way I can show my appreciation," he says, "hopefully, I can make the U.S. national team. That's my dream, that I can play for the U.S. national team, go to the World Cup, and that's how I can show my appreciation."

Posted by: emanon13 | April 26, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Rollin' down a backwoods Denmark by way
One arm on the wheel
Holdin' my lover with the other
A sweet, soft, Scandinavian thrill

Worked hard all week, got a little jingle
On a Denmark Saturday night
Couldn't feel better, I'm together
With my Midtjylland Delight

(Alljbymma, 1980's)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 26, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stig1 | April 26, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan... Ives is reporting Cameroon is out for the season with a torn PCL.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 26, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm convinced that you're doing that on purpose grubbs....Cameroon? ;) I did see that. Uh, everyone got their Argy Bargy set?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure LAG are awaiting a big check from Lloyds of London anytime now. What do you think they are going to do with the 15-20+ M ? Buy Ronalidinho or bank it?

Posted by: Charisma_Man | April 27, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Serves Cameroon right for only having one PCL for the whole team. Now the question is whether FIFA will ban them from the next two world cups.

Posted by: BooThisMan | April 27, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

This page contains email addresses for the "Executive Staff" at DCSEC.

They all deserve to know your thoughts. On a daily basis if possible, at least on a day of or day after game experience.

Posted by: footballfan9 | April 26, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

This isn't the post of the day, it is the post of the month. Send your sincere regards daily DCU fans.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 27, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Well, things aren't going well for DC United this season, but HOW 'BOUT THEM **CAPS**?

Oh, wait...

Posted by: Ron16 | April 27, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Ron16,

There's still game 7 to be played and last night showed how hard it is to beat a team three times in their own building in one series. Statistically, it just doesn't happen very often and I like the Caps chances tomorrow night to continue that statistical trend. Remeber, the Caps only lost five games in their building all season. I don't think Montreal can win three games here. I just don't, but we'll see and we'll talk Thursday morning.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 27, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Video of Mosysian's goals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVVK5OL0YU

Posted by: Alsatian1 | April 27, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

croftonpost, Well, I hope the caps win, but I must say overall their play in the playoffs has been underwhelming. To win the Stanley Cup, which is the general expectation for the caps this year, a team has to raise their game in the playoffs. The Caps have not. If anything, their game has regressed. Here's to hoping they turn it on in game 7 and win.

If they do, I like their chances against the Flyers. If they win that series, sooner or later they have to play the Penguins, and I like their chances less against them.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 27, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

The NYTimes article on Davies has this: "Davies apologized for his decision to break curfew, and said he had become a more responsible person.
“It was clear on both sides that he made a bad decision, that he let himself and the team down,” Bradley said. “People make mistakes. He has thought a lot about it and has taken responsibility for his side of things.”

There is finally a public apology and I now consider this matter over. Davies can now compete for a spot at the World Cup.

Posted by: GeneWells | April 27, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Now CD can rest easy -- he has GeneWells' stamp of approval!

Posted by: Reignking | April 27, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

My eyes just rolled out of my head...
Thank goodness for your seal of approval Gene.LOL.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Charlie looks to be a lot slimmer and less muscular than he was pre-accident, which makes sense. I hope he is invited to Princeton, but I also hope BB is smart enough to invite Buddle and Herc, who are tearing it up. Leaving them out would send a terrible message, along the lines of "we don't care how sensationally you are playing, I'm sticking with the guys I know."

Posted by: b18bolo | April 27, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

GeneWells,

I'm sure Davies is delighted to have your blessing and approval.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 27, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse