D.C. United drawing crowds, but ...

Despite a poor start on the field, D.C. United has performed well at the box office, averaging 19,535 in two home dates. Only three MLS teams that have hosted at least two matches have drawn better: Seattle, Los Angeles and Toronto.

United (0-4) has benefited from substantial walk-up crowds, primarily from a re-engaged Salvadoran community excited by midfielder Christian Castillo's arrival. Marketing efforts targeting younger fans also seem to have paid off with pregame concerts and college initiatives.

United should enjoy another decent turnout Saturday with the first-place New York Red Bulls (and perhaps some traveling supporters) in town as part of a doubleheader that will include a WPS game between the Washington Freedom and St. Louis Athletica. However.....

United's healthy attendance numbers seem certain to slip if the losing continues. Anger over offseason decisions and the club's early-season performances have prompted some longtime supporters to question their financial commitment. I have received e-mails from several fans who say they have seen enough and will not attend matches until significant improvement is shown.

Michael Lemov, an attorney from Bethesda who canceled his season tickets after 14 years, said he will "simply not support an inferior product and an unresponsive management. ... It looks like they think we fans will pay endlessly for a losing team. They are wrong about this market. We know soccer. And there is no better MLS fan base around, for now."

A Salvadoran-American, who did not want his name used publicly, said the Latin American community welcomed the signing of Castillo and the addition of Honduran-born teenager Andy Najar. There was a real buzz in Spanish-speaking circles, he said. But Castillo's ineffectiveness and the team's poor play have tempered some of that enthusiasm. "I don't know if people will pay to see these games anymore," he said.

United has been perhaps MLS's strongest market over 14 years, averaging 17,542 for regular season matches. Annual attendance has ranged between 15,262 in the inaugural year to 21,518 in 2001. Last season, however, the 16,088 rate was the fourth lowest in club history, and while the turnout this year has shown promise, even the most exhaustive marketing efforts will be futile unless the team's results improve.

United will host FC Dallas on Wednesday night in a U.S. Open Cup preliminary game. Although it is part of the season ticket package, these mid-week, non-league domestic matches never draw much of a crowd. A bigger test will come a week from Wednesday when United welcomes the Kansas City Wizards to RFK for a regular season affair.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 26, 2010; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: D.C. United, FC Dallas, Kansas City Wizards, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, MLS, Major League Soccer, RFK Stadium, Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday kickaround
Next: Davies, Joseph, Beckham, Movsisyan, Euro TV

Comments

I'd also note that the mid-week game against Kansas City on May 5 is on national TV on ESPN2.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 26, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as how I'm a season ticket holder, and this post is the first I've heard about Wednesday night being a Special Event ticket, yeah, I'd say it's gonna be a sparse "crowd"...Dallas should feel right at home.

And while I'm certainly not pleased with either the offseason moves or the in-season start, I don't think any MLS team is deep enough to deal with the injuries DC have suffered...of course, we're less deep than just about any other MLS team, so that makes it extra bad for us, but still...Namoff, Pena, Jakovic, Simms...it's naive to think we can play much in the way of defense without those guys in the lineup.

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 26, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I am going to imagine 4500 will show up at DCU game on Wednesday.

Posted by: TheJim1 | April 26, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"there is no better MLS fan base around" = "I will only show up when we're winning..."

Oh, c'mon, we kid the front runners, it's all in good fun...

Posted by: JkR- | April 26, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow. We may not even be 3rd Runners-up for the Attendance title. C'mon FO, distribute more tickets!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I've a Nats 20-game *and* DCU season-ticket holder for three years now, and I'm not about to stop going anytime soon.

And totally OT, but saw this photo montage on SI.com about Freddy Adu...

Posted by: Juan-John1 | April 26, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

... And a REALLY cool ESPN video of Tino:

Posted by: Juan-John1 | April 26, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It's a difference in metrics. While we count bums in seats, the FO counts dollars in the bank. I would have brought 15 people on Wednesday at ten to fifteen dollars per ticket. Instead, I'm skipping it altogether.

Posted by: troy6 | April 26, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Mid-week games have always drawn poorly, regardless if it's a USOC or MLS match.

Posted by: Tweaked | April 26, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Troy, I agree some tickets are too expensive. Last season my brother and I came to the US Open Cup game against NYRB (the 5-3 thriller) and were totally put off by the price. Like 30 bucks a piece. We both have purchased and 8 game pack for this summer but I would attend more games if individual prices weren't so high.

Also, I agree EdtheRed we are really hurting with injuries. Though, the FO made no moves to improve our offense. Even when we get healthy I do not see us creating any more chances than we already have. This is my biggest problem. Our FO should have gone out and got some quality attacking players. Other teams have found quality players, why haven't we?

I may complain but I will still use my tickets and probably go a few other games.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 26, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

They shouldn't play these USOC games at RFK. They are probably losing tons of money on rent. Seems like it would be cheaper to play at the SoccerPlex and maybe get a better atmosphere.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | April 26, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'll keep going.

However, bag on head, starting when the league play resumes on Saturday.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 26, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CACuzcatlan
==============

It's cheaper, but the atmosphere isn't better. It's a long, rush hour, drive on a school/work night, so attendance is usually lower than at RFK. I've only been to one USOC match at the Plex where the attendance was good. It was a July evening with temps in the mid 90s and humidity about the same.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 26, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

*insert snarky "It Takes More" comment here.

Posted by: Section117 | April 26, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Lets see what the attendance numbers are for the Saturday May 15 match against the Crapids...oh nevermind we are playing the Crapids. Yawn.
Posted by: Tweaked"

You know that DCU has ZERO points, don't you? I'd gladly take half of the success Colorado has had on the field this season.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 26, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I'll continue to renew my season tickets no matter what. I have shunned every person who says "I am not renewing my tickets because we haven't won a trophy in two years". Those people might as well be Red Puke fans.

Posted by: rockotodd | April 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

but We Won Trophies!

Posted by: FatSickBoot | April 26, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention, this Wednesday some fans will either be at Verizon Center or watching on TV when the Capitals choke away their 3-1. At least after that, there won't be any more DC United-Caps conflicts. Heh.

And yes, I bet the guy who says he's stopped renewing his season tickets sat on quiet side.

Posted by: BDR232 | April 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

+1 to rockotodd.

I may be complaining about price because I am fundamentally a cheapskate, but it's still my team. I'll be there for every league match until it is time to up stakes.

Posted by: troy6 | April 26, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The issue isn't just that we're not playing well. We didn't make the playoffs last year and I renewed. It's that every possible thing that could go wrong has gone wrong this season, and we're just 4 games in. Injured veterans, underperforming new signings, crap defense/goaltending, no offense at all. Plus the fact that we have enough cap room to sign a DP right this second but of course we blew it with the signing window and have to wait until July at which point we'll be worse than Red Bull last season.

There is literally no indication right now that we will win a single game. We get back Simms and Namoff and we'll be getting scoreless draws at best.

Posted by: M__N | April 26, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

What happened in 2001 that helped us average 21,500 per game? That's a pretty good number!

Posted by: WorldCup | April 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

DCU is fortunate to have a good fan base, but let's face it -- these are trying times.

I've been a supporter since '96 and I don't ever remember the nearly hopeless feeling that many fans currently have. Injuries? Sure, it's been brutal, but the roster moves have not been inspiring and the stadium situation is zzzzzz (as usual).

I'm still bleeding back-and-red, but I'm really grabbing at straws here. We need something to be hopeful about.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 26, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

What happened in 2001 that helped us average 21,500 per game?

Doubleheader with USA vs Honduras = 54,000

Doubleheader with Freedom 1st game = 37,000

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | April 26, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I think a big part of the reason why this game is at RFK is that they need to use up the 5 "special game" tickets they make part of the season ticket plan somehow. And this is an easy one for them to throw away on us. And if we somehow win this game and advance to the next play-in round that will be another easy one for them to cross off the list.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 26, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Season ticket holder here, I probably won't make the Wednesday game because that little thing called "work" will get in the way. Otherwise, I'll be there, groaning, shaking my head, drinking beer and waiting 'till next year.
2 other comments:
To the Bethesda lawyer who dumped his tickets -- if you base your attendance on watching a "winning" team, good luck in the DC area. You are either a fan or not -- you're not. Instead you are a consumer.
To those who gripe about the cost of tickets -- you want a better product? Well how will that get paid for? Will Chang is not going to empty his pockets to entertain you, you will have to pay for it in ticket prices. If MLS ever gets a TV deal like the NFL, well maybe you've got a gripe, but until then -- suck it up.

Posted by: griffin1108 | April 26, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Whats interesting about the Castillo/Najar story. Most Hondurens dont know who Najar really is? Even if he is a catracho he doesn't carry the name as Pavon or Costly. So many Hondurens haven't jumped ship to DC. Not to mention Castillo still over-shadows his story to be honest.
Last Saturday I saw more Guatemalan flags then Honduras.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 26, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Just a little off topic here but when has that ever stopped anyone?? :)

I kinda like the vertical banner ad for the DCU-ACM game next month, and how appropriate that it is being run next to the Insider. But, ummmm...when I looked in the dictionary under "mismatch," I saw "Chris Pontius vs. Ronaldinho." :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 26, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I griped about the ticket prices. not for the league match but for the USOC match. the gripe was that they were being foolish with the price point. I would have brought 15 people at 15 dollars per. Instead, they get nothing. so when they realize the 3k who show are mostly those with the "free" ticket included in their season package, they will have a gate receipt of near zero.

Posted by: troy6 | April 26, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The Good News: My tix from American Outlaws for the USA/Turkey match arrived in my mailbox this afternoon!

I think it's a shame that United Drives doesn't do their collection on Open Cup match days or on Champion's League match days in years past. They also don't let you use the "buy one, get one free premium ticket" vouchers that you get for making said donations on these match days. I've often gotten friends to come out to games with me by using these vouchers, and the FO would be wise to at least accept them on some of these inherently weaker drawing games.

The Other Good News: My copy of FIFA World Cup 2010 for Xbox360 should be arriving tomorrow!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 26, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday's nights crowd should be minuscule. But overall the team should draw pretty well on Saturday evenings if we have decent weather and don't schedule too many home games in a short time period.

I'm just as disillusioned with the team as most Insider posters. But lots of the fans on any given Saturday are there without knowledge of the team's position in the standings or much knowledge of who's on the team roster.

Consistent losing is bad though and should eventually impact attendance.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 26, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Season Ticket holder who thought long and hard about not renewing this year based on last year's poor performance and the apparent lack of improvements to the squad during the offseason. In the end, I chose to renew 1) because I'm still a devoted fan and 2) because I had faith that the Front Office had some surprises in store.

In the end, the Front Office has been a letdown, and the product on the field has suffered (and let us all down). DCU has my money already. But I can still vote by not showing up. I skipped the Chicago match because of the poor results of the first 3 games. It doesn't make me less of a fan. I just watched the debacle from home instead, and got just as mad at the outcome.

I do not feel that being a die-hard fan obligates your money to the team. The team has to put out a product that people WANT to pay to see. We all own a ton of DCU merchandise, so they're getting their piece. Results pay bills. There was hope in 2001, but the team underperformed. This team could not beat that team.

Posted by: DWE4 | April 26, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BDR232 | April 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Remember you said that traitor. The Caps will not lose the series to Montreal. FYI-Ovechkin & Co have NEVER blown a 3-1 series lead as you are implying. That pre-dates this group of players. In fact, they have only come back from such a deficit tying the Flyers before losing 4-3 and defeating the Rangers 4-3.

I will continue to purchase season tickets. In good times and in bad......

I have a problem with the criticism of the FO for not spending. MLS and DCU are losing money hand over fist with this franchise and I do not see them spending money until a stadium deal is in place. I am amazed that so many think this is irrelevant. They are a business and businesses try to make money. It's that simple. As I said before, think Florida Marlins. That is where DCU is right now and it isn't going to change until the SSS deal is in place. Get used to it.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 26, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Luckily I'm a former season ticket holder and only have to shell out money to see them play live 2 (possibly 3) times a year.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 26, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Get used to what exactly?

It's a pity that the team's last year in DC isn't shaping up very well.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 26, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Re:
I will continue to purchase season tickets. In good times and in bad......

I have a problem with the criticism of the FO for not spending....I am amazed that so many think this is irrelevant. They are a business and businesses try to make money.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 26, 2010 4:02 PM |

The same thought process should go to protecting fans who vote with their wallets. Kudos to you for continuing to purchase tickets. It's disingenuous to chastize people who stop buying tickets if you're satisfied with the team being run like the Marlins.

Posted by: DWE4 | April 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

My father and I had season tickets for the last 12 seasons. This spring we sat down and decided that there was really no point in giving this organization anymore of our money. The moves they made this offseason were atrocious. Everyone seemed to be aware of it, but no one within the organization seemed to really care. If this is their last season in DC then I will be very sad. I hope it doesn't look to some that I'm a rat deserting a ship, but really at some point you have to sit back and remember that its just a game. We used to the best at it, and we most definitely aren't anymore. Why sink with a ship when there's a lifeboat just off the bow? They haven't really done much to make me want to stay. I mean Andy Najar at center mid?? Give me a break.

Posted by: pittmancb | April 26, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this sounds like EXACTLY the same discussion and criticism that happened in Dallas last season when FC Dallas went on its long losing streak. The answer -- get better on the field or look forward to sub-10K crowds and the Soccer Insider making fun of you. ;)

I hope United turns it around more quickly, but the negative impact makes for a long road to recovery.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | April 26, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll pay to watch a club that's losing but going in the right direction. I don't want to pay to watch a club in free fall play in stadium that might collapse at any second. There is nothing fun (for me) about going to RFK these days, it's just depressing.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 26, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 26, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry but this argument just doesn't wash. Houston has been the class of the league, generally speaking, for the past 4 years and didn't have a stadium deal in place until only recently. Also, the Florida Marlins have somehow managed to be competitive year in year out even with a ridiculously low budget. It all comes down to hiring the right staff and selecting and developing the right players within your budgetary constraints. DC United may not have a good hand to work with but even on a generous curve they have earned a grade of F.

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | April 26, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

From Charlie Davies' twitter account:

"I've resumed full training with my club!! It's about time & it feels great! My speed is getting there too! Today was a good day!"

As for the season ticket discussion......

I've had full season tickets for 7 straight years, and this was the first season where the thought of not renewing entered my mind. I did end up renewing, but I'm disappointed in two things.

-- The lack of competitiveness by the team. The losses don't bother me as much as the team being simply outclassed in three games, and the one game where they were competitive was against the expansion team.

-- The status of the parking lots - I recognize that this isn't DCU's fault. But they pay rent to be at RFK and to use the parking lots correct? Can't they pull a Nationals and withold rent until the Stadium Authority repairs the parking lots?

Will these things keep me away from games? Probably not. But will I spend far less money at the stadium until these things are addressed? Absolutely.

Posted by: isaac101 | April 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I was never complaining about ticket prices for regular games. I understand that. I was with Troy and complaining about USOC prices. I love DC, and when I am in DC (14 days), I try to go to every match I can. I even go to road matches -can't wait for the game in NY. Upset I missed the game in Philly.

In reality, DC needs their own stadium. Unfortunately, I do not think DC United is very politically savvy. They need to frame this issue in a way which forces the DC's government hands.

I am just really disappointing with the current roster. We are a shell of past DC teams. And like it or not we are an 0-4 team.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 26, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

That's a good point ^^^^^^

The parking situation is doing more to discourage me than the quality of play. The tailgating experience is terrible and it's added 20 minutes of 'night driving' to my trip home.

Quality of play? Pshaw, I sat through some pretty dire youth and high school games, this is still a walk in the park...

Posted by: JkR- | April 26, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DWE4 | April 26, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

=======================

Posted by: cmjhawk86 | April 26, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

===========================

I'm not satisfied with Payne and Kasper nor do I grade their personnel decisions highly. My point was not about the criticism of the personnel management. I was directing my criticism at those who are demanding that they spend money which I consider unrealistic or naive. The Marlins have done an amazing job under the circumstances but they don't spend money and won't until their stadium is constructed. The same I believe to be true for United. If they are to be successful then it will be done under a budget with shrewd personnel decisions. I don't believe they will be active in the DP market. They lose too much money already from both a MLS and a DCU perspective.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 26, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

As long as United remain UNDER the salary cap, Will Chang isn't spending a dime on players. The league as a single-entity pays the salaries of all non-DP players (and the first 400k of a DP).

Payne, Kasper, and Ashton have failed miserably at bringing in players who can actually contribute. Last time I checked, that was job #1 for a Technical Director.

Will Chang, if you're reading this, you need to clean house.

Say goodbye to Payne, Kasper, Ashton, Onalfo, and the training staff.

Bring in Garth Lagerway from RSL (who originally was with United), he's done fantastic with that club, and I'd have much more confidence in him than anyone currently with United.

Bring Richie Williams in to be head coach. He's always done well when he's been named the interim-manager at RBNY, and if he can succeed in that land of suck, how could he not do better than Onalfo here?

Posted by: alecw81 | April 26, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

alec,

I know DCU doesn't spend money on the payroll. That is exactly why I mentioned MLS and DCU. I do not see Garber enthusiastically driving up their payroll. Their business model stinks so it doesn't make any sense to do it.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 26, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The Metrostars/RBNY organization has consistently added noticeable additional stink to the already existing stink of North Jersey since the league came into existence. They've been embarassing, year after year. And you know what? A lot of their supporters stuck with it the whole way, right up to today. Masochists? Hey, it's easy to be a supporter when things are going well. It's hard when things aren't. I may ridicule their team; but I have tons of respect for their supporters; by comparison to the Metros, we've had it pretty easy. It's easy to support a winning team.

If you can't afford to go, you can't afford to go. Certainly no shame in that. But if it's just that you have no interest in supporting a team that loses, well, now we know who the fairweather fans are. It's when things are going awful that the *players on the field* need support the most.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | April 26, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

"

It ain't about "sucking it up." it's about a front office making wise business decisions."

On the other hand, if the special game is an international friendly, they have to guarantee a certain amount of money to the visiting team. If they can't sell enough tickets, they could actually lose money - so just breaking even might be a positive for them.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | April 26, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Steve, the next time you have a chance to ask Will Chang a few questions, might you include something like this?

Will, there is a belief among many supporters of DC United that the club is significantly under the salary cap. Is this true, and if so, why?

(Of course, maybe we will see some new signings in the next transfer window or after the WC, rending this question moot.)

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 26, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I have had two season tickets and a parking pass since 1996. I started out with a group of about 20 season ticket holders. That number has dwindled to 7 during the past 3 years. There have been a lot of factors involved in the shrink, but the driving factor has been a terrible product on the field. If they played like this club used to, we would still be in the high teens.

The sad truth of the matter is that I'm the only die hard fan left in my group. The rest show up simply because we enjoy tailgating and it's a good excuse to get all of us together on a regular basis (kids, travel, new homes, etc.) DC United is working on its 2nd generation of fans. They have to convince gen new to come on board and convince gen old to stick around. They are doing a horrible job of it right now.

Yesterday I went to a Nationals game for $10 with 11 of my regular soccer group. The experience was much better than I expected. The stadium speaks for itself, the weather was great, and we really had a good time. The only missing ingredient was tailgating. You add some restaurants, pubs, etc to that baseball stadium and DC United is in serious trouble competing for new fans.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | April 26, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Fear not, United fan types -- MLS's ingenious micromanaged mediocrity will yield some points for your hapless side soon enough. Honestly, if teams that suck as hard and play as bad as Philly and Toronto can rack up a win or two on sheer luck (which of course they have) thanks to the fact that, however much they may suck, even the "best" MLS teams are barely any better, then it'll surely be D.C.'s turn any day now. Turn those frowns upside down and have some faith in boring averageness, for pissakes!

Posted by: WorldCitizen1 | April 26, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

As a season ticket holder its frustrating to see so many losses and injuries. It doesn't change that fact that I am still a DCU fan. WIll I go on Wed? Probably not. I will chose to play my game instead of watching DCU. The reason is that there are so many injuries and I would rather watch on Saturday. In addition transportation/ parking is a frustration this year. I purchased a parking pass for the first time ever, and its in Lot 8. Or the remains of Lot 8. :)

Posted by: mmsq | April 26, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

"The stadium (Nationals Stadium) speaks for itself, the weather was great, and we really had a good time."

Posted by: mbyrd28 | April 26, 2010 7:08 PM

====================================

Now turn that around. The stadium speaks for itself (a dump), the parking lot is a disaster but the backstabbing DC government still charges United stadium rent anyway, and now a beer costs $10 (which mostly goes to the backstabbing DC government). Fenty sucks!

Posted by: croftonpost | April 26, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

====================================

While you're at it Will please ask why the DC government is charging stadium rent despite the condition of Lot 8. Is this not a violation of the lease?

Posted by: croftonpost | April 26, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I guess everything goes down to the stadium situation! We're witnessing the demise of United in front of our eyes! Since 07 when the stadium talks were really put out there, United have gotten worst and worst! Each year with a new but yet same problem. Coaching, the staff, owners have just put the nail in the coffin for United. I want to be optimistic but DC has no future in DC! No one respects DC anymore in or out the field! The whole marketing thing worked for awhile but Salvadorians know bad quality when they see it. DC has lost it's mojo!

Posted by: rigs88 | April 26, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

This page contains email addresses for the "Executive Staff" at DCSEC.

They all deserve to know your thoughts. On a daily basis if possible, at least on a day of or day after game experience.

Posted by: footballfan9 | April 26, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I've had my season tickets since 1995 (and I have the original plan holder's certificate to prove it) and won't stop going anytime soon. But my reason for going has changed over time. I tend to go, more and more, to see the soccer friends I've made over the years and less to watch the game. That's likely to change some this year.

More social; less soccer.

Posted by: Curious99 | April 26, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

This page contains email addresses for the "Executive Staff" at DCSEC.

Posted by: footballfan9 | April 26, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

This isn't the post of the day, it is the post of the month. Send your sincere regards daily DCU fans.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 27, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

This was one of the most interesting SI posts and comment strings I've read in a long time. Wish it didn't have to revolve around our problems.

Posted by: DCB23 | April 27, 2010 4:51 AM | Report abuse

Both Richie Williams and Colin clarke contacted Kevin Payne about the job, but he said no to both of them. He already had his next puppet in his sights...

All you have to do is look at the players Onalfo didn't think were worthy of being on the field last year in K.C., what they're doing this year, and that's all you need to know...

Posted by: eldiablo | April 27, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse