D.C. United friendly vs. AC Milan on May 26

AC Milan crest

Image via Wikipedia

Negotiations between D.C. United and European titan AC Milan have been completed, and the clubs will face one another in a May 26 friendly at RFK Stadium.

Kickoff is 8 p.m. for the Wednesday night match. For DCU season ticket holders, it is part of your annual package. Individual seats are available starting next Monday for $35, $50, $65 and $75. The match falls between weekend league games at Houston and home against Chivas USA.

Though the game comes just 10 days after the completion of the grueling Serie A season, Milan "is committed to fielding all of its star players not obligated to World Cup duties," United said in a written statement. Injuries and fatigue are another matter, I suppose. Still, AC Milan in the nation's capital is a rare treat. DCU will make some much-needed cash and the Rossoneri will continue building its North American brand. (Expect one or two other matches on this tour; Montreal has been mentioned as a possible destination).

More.....

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

AC Milan is in third place with five matches remaining, four points behind Roma and three behind Inter Milan.

Who should you expect to see at RFK? Ronaldinho, Clarence Seedorf, Filippo Inzaghi and perhaps Alexandre Pato. Don't count on Andrea Pirlo, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Gennaro Gattuso, David Beckham and Washington-born Oguchi Onyewu.

Milan visited RFK in 2003 to play Barcelona and in 1993 for the Italian SuperCup against Torino.

United is also in talks concerning two additional friendlies against European clubs: Glasgow Rangers in July and Blackburn Rovers in August. DCU will also play El Salvador's national team in a charity match this summer.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 12, 2010; 2:10 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Italy  | Tags: AC Milan, Andrea Pirlo, Clarence Seedorf, D.C. United, David Beckham, FIFA World Cup, Gennaro Gattuso, Serie A, Soccer, World Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS and WPS attendance watch
Next: Tuesday kickaround

Comments

After our stunning performance against the Philadelphia Union, minnows like A.C. Milan should be no problem.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | April 12, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Undecided about this one. Great that it's not at Fed Ex. But I'm not too excited about Milan these days even with their World Cup players.

(Does Gattuso have a long-term injury? I don't think he'll make the Italian team this time around, so he should be available if healthy. Unless Leonardo has benched him.)

Posted by: Miles_Standish_Proud | April 12, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I am gonna be so pissed if our wayward band of misfits, pretenders and ne'er do'wells actually play well in a meaningless game but continue to embarrass in a second rate domestic league.

eh, still going to the game though.

Posted by: Section107 | April 12, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to this very much, even without all of Milan's starpower. Perhaps our dedicated fanbase (certainly not our facilities, of course) can make a positive impression on someone like Seedorf or Ronaldinho for the future.

It'll be fun and it will make money for the club. I've already written off the season, practically - let's enjoy ourselves a bit. I get a huge kick out of watching our boys take on giant names like AC Milan, even though we're going to get whooped.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 12, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I saw them play the Galaxy last year and Ronaldinho put on a master class in being a superstar. It was ironically the same night Beckham got into the fight with the Riot Squad fan

After playing the 90, Ronaldinho came out and walked the entire field at the Home Depot signing every request for an autopgraph, posing for photos and then when he got to the end which is where the wheelchair section is, he took off his jesery and threw it to a kid in his wheelchair. They kid didn't even ask. It was a spectaular thing and all done well after the cameras and news media left.

Several of the players, signed things for fans afterward even without cameras present but Ronaldinho when above and beyond what he was required to do

Posted by: Shanoni | April 12, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I doubt I will pay $75 to watch a 5-nil shellacking.

Posted by: MBUSA | April 12, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'll spend my soccer money that week on US v Turkey in Philly - May 29.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 12, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

$35 not bad compared to that grueling $60 charge for RM.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 12, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I was at that Super Cup game in 93. I believe Torino featured Enzo Francescoli. AC Milan may have been the best team in the world at the time but the game was played on a hot summer afternoon and lacked intensity.

I believe it was the official pre-season championship between the previous Serie A winner and Copa Italia winner a la Charity Shield match in England.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 12, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I have half season package B. Special game C is not a part of it. Hopefully, Special game B will be the Rangers.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 12, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I am still waiting to be slaughtered by UMD. Can't wait for this one.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 12, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

How angry are you if you play for Milan? Do these guys ever get a break?

Posted by: Reignking | April 12, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I might pay $35 to watch near the papusa stand

Posted by: Kev29 | April 12, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@VirginiaFan: The friendly with the Terps has been postponed/cancelled via DCU's twitter a couple hours ago. Possibly to be played at a later date I suppose... Maybe Goff should add that news to his next post...?

Sorry Milan match, you're happening a little too closely to the US/Turkey match in Philly. I'll be saving my money for that road trip.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 12, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@croftonpost
There is a good chance that special game B will be the AC milan game. DCU just anounced that the USOC game vs dallas in April will be game A, and usually the do the special games in order. I have plan A and we got one less regular game and three special games. I am hoping that the Gers will be game C to.

Posted by: jjfooty | April 12, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

@Joel
+1 for USA in Philly

Posted by: assocfoot | April 12, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

It's still unbelievable to me that Ronaldinho will not be playing for Brazil this summer.

Posted by: CYork1 | April 12, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

forget my last post. I checked the press release. the ac milan game is game C. strange to go out of order like that.

Posted by: jjfooty | April 12, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Once again Steve is robbed by the Pulitzer panel. The rest of the Post did OK, winning four.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 12, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@jjfooty -- My guess is they're anticipating this will not be out of order. If DC beats Dallas and hosts the next USOC game, maybe that will be "B".

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I can even begin the imagine the scoreline.

Posted by: zackvanderhoof | April 12, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so this is what he get in lieu of a playoff team. Excellent.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 12, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Haha I must be more tired than I thought

Posted by: zackvanderhoof | April 12, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by.
The moon just went behind a cloud
To hide its face and cry.

Did you ever see a robin weep,
When leaves began to die?
That means he's lost the will to live,
I'm so lonesome I could cry.

Congrats to Hank on the posthumous Pultizer

Posted by: OWNTF | April 12, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Great! Now let's go out and find some quality players fit for such a match. The current crop couldn't handle a bunch of pregnant women.

Posted by: Hoost | April 12, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@fischy
YOur right, The MLS Open cup qualifiers need to completed be may 31st, So if DCU beats dallas they could host another USOC game before the AC milan game. But there are two BIG assumptions there.
1. that the actually beat dallas, that would require them to score more goals than they give up, which so far they dont seem to be able to do.
2. They get awarded the home game in the next round.

Posted by: jjfooty | April 12, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if I will attend. My girlfriend wants me to take her to the Union game on the 15th (her best friend works for the Union so she has chosen to become a Union fan... boo) and I want to go to the USA Turkey game on the 29th. I probably won't have it in the budget to see a B Milan squad trounce DC United.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 12, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I think both Ronaldinho and Pato will be in South Africa....I hope those rumors of Seedorf coming to the MLS are true. DC United could really use a player of Seedorf's caliber to help stabilize the free fall the organization seems to be in.

Posted by: alan19 | April 12, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

@grubbsbi: dump her or, if you like her, connive to get her friend fired.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 12, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grubbsb

Might I suggest a new GF? :-)

Posted by: rockotodd | April 12, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

DCU agreed to one condition for the match -it gets an extra goalie - to retrieve the balls from the back of the net.

Posted by: dcpsycho | April 12, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Unless they got it wrong, their announcement said Ticket C. I wondered about Ticket B also.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 12, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I really couldn't care less about a game like this. Get me a team that can compete in MLS.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | April 12, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

If we get Seedorf and Riquelme then Barklage and Morsink would have to raise the level of their game in practice just to hang onto to their starting positions.

Everybody benefits!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 12, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Dear FO,
Why would I want to watch MY home team get slaughtered?

Usually when United plays an international friendly we have a respectable team. We beat Celtic 4-0 in 2006. We tied Real Madrid in Seattle in one of the most exciting games I have watched. And here we are planning several friendlies against European power-houses with a team that is 0-3? Ever think about the confidence factor?

It doesn't make any sense to me. I thought United has held itself to a higher standard of pride, to take on teams it can actually compete against, not just in it for the money (as with other MLS teams). Last summer's game against RM I took as a fluke, but let's not make a habit out of it.

Posted by: redskinsux | April 12, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm, NO THANKS with a capitol N!!! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 12, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Ticket B will surely be the next USOC game. FC Dallas/DC United won coin flip today. Whichever team wins on the 28th @RFK will host the next round, against RSL-SJE winner.

In the latest DCU stadium Kremlinology....
SI.com: If D.C. United continues to have issues finding a stadium plan in D.C., what are you going to do?

Garber: We are going to continue to fight the fight as hard as we can to get D.C. an appropriate facility. To think that what was and probably is one of the most valuable brands in MLS and arguably one of the most recognizable sports teams in the Mid-Atlantic states (emphasis mine), to have them in the situation where they are now is inexcusable and unacceptable. We have teams that are starting as expansion teams and a few years later are moving in to brand-new buildings. So I continue to talk with [United honchos] Will Chang and Kevin Payne and try to work with them to figure out a solution beyond just continuing to play at RFK.

Garber getting his Mid-Atlantic vibe on, preparing to move Mid-Atlantic United to Baltimore?

Feel free to read your tea leaves...

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Mid-Atlantic!! United!! Mid-Atlantic!! United!!

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

What's the point?

Posted by: peridigm | April 12, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

You could make "Mid-Atlantic United" into MA United for purposes of carrying over to existing songs using DC United

In fact, you could even call them MAn U if you wanted to. I mean all those letters are in there, in that order . . .

So I'm down with it.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 12, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

the real question Goff-man is: which of those AC Milan players will be dressed in DCU outfit? Dont discount an audacious move for a DP on United's part, just to add some intrigue and spice.

Posted by: alespar415 | April 12, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

....actually, lets not kid ourselves here. DCU is a 2nd rate team in a 3rd rate league.

Posted by: alespar415 | April 12, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I believe Curt Onalfo is going to suit himself up this game and pair himself with Kurt Morsink.

Posted by: scott47a | April 12, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I was toying with the idea of making the trip up to Philly, watching the US game, then racing down to RFK for United's match, but that would mean no pre-game tailgating with the Barra... which will obviously be the highlight of any match at RFK this year.

For those hoping that this will be a hand-off of someone like Seedorf or Gattuso as mid-season DP signings for United, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 12, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I remember that Brca vs Milan game in '03. Great game in which Ronaldinho scored his first goal in a Barca kit. After accomplishing so much since then, he returns to RFK in a Milan kit. Pretty cool.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | April 12, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Any word if RFK will have electricity that night?

It's always sad to have great foreign teams come to a stadium blocks away from the center of US power that most third division European teams would never consider playing in. FedEx may have a narrow field and be far far away but at least its a somewhat respectable stadium.

Hopefully we will have the right football lines.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 12, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a great place to host a world class team...

From ESPN (in case you didn't already know):

D.C. United play in one of the league's worst accommodations. Walking into the grim football stadium turned baseball stadium turned soccer stadium named for the assassinated Robert F. Kennedy, it isn't hard to ascertain why anybody would want to move out -- and why other teams have (the Washington Redskins in 1997 and the Washington Nationals in 2008). Cavernous, outdated and poorly designed for soccer, not even United's devoted and relentlessly rowdy Barra Brava or Screaming Eagles fan clubs can compensate and make the place feel the way a soccer stadium should.

"Our current stadium is 50 years old and has been in disrepair for some time," United team president Kevin Payne said. "The concourses are too small. The seating area is too large. The lake of the seats is too shallow. The food-and-beverage facilities, both on the concourse and behind the scenes, are just inadequate. That's not counting the air conditioning not working in our offices in the summer and the heat not working in the winter. We have leaks everywhere, which is the case in my own office. It is what it is; it's a very old stadium. We need a new home."

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 12, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

"All of you saying you're going to Philly to watch US vs Turkey are aware that United has a home match that night as well?"

Yep, I'm guessing that some hardy Barra and SE's are planning on the double now, but no preeminent plans from either group led me to purchase from AO. I'm just crossing my fingers I can make it back home or to a neighbor's place to watch the Chivas match with my feet in an ice bucket...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 12, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Just in case you thought that DCU should have come out of the game with a draw, but for Perkins' ineptitude on Le Toux's free kick, the guy at the USSF in charge of referees says the second DCU goal shouldn't have counted and Moreno should have gotten a yellow card.

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alespar415 | April 12, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

....and you're a 4th rate intellect. Vamos United!

Posted by: croftonpost | April 12, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

fischy,

This part of the explanation sounds a little odd to me:

“The goalkeeper needs to be free of interference and he can do whatever he wants in those six to seven seconds.”

Seriously, does it say in the rules of any sport that a player can do whatever they want for 6 to 7 seconds?

Posted by: csd1 | April 12, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

"When you have the possession of the ball you have exactly 6 seconds do distribute it into play. You can distribute the ball by kicking or throwing it to one of your teammates. You may also drop the ball at your feet. However, if your drop it on the ground the ball is deemed to be in play and you should watch for opponents around you as they may steal the ball and score a goal on you."

Posted by: csd1 | April 12, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Southeasterner,

3rd Division European teams almost all play in dumps far worse than RFK and would be honored to play in a stadium which has hosted World Cup games and many other top matches.

I'm not saying RFK is in any way perfect or a good money making venue for the team but your statement stretches exaggeration to the breaking point.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 12, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of what I posted above from Garber's SI interview: He was more tight-lipped after the Philly-DC game. MLS-rumors has the video of his presser. About what it will take to get a DC stadium, he said "I don't know. I wish I had something to say about that, but I don't. It's frustrating."

Also, he seemed to be putting a second NYC team back at the top of the MLS agenda and suggested that the Red Bulls might actually be looking forward to having a local rival. I'm guessing -- though I've been wrong before on this -- that he'll be pushing as hard as possible to find investors to make NYC the 20th team, after Montreal joins in 2012.

Maybe, with all this expansion money coming in, the league could get creative with financing in DC. Instead of having the city pay for it, recouping costs with rent and taxes, the league could float a bond (like the Yankees did) which would be repaid based on taxes and stadium revenue. That said, I still think the biggest sticking point with DC isn't money, it's getting a commitment from the city for land to build on.

Posted by: fischy | April 12, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

So far this year it looks like DCU has been taking offensive tips from the Baltimore Orioles.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 12, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Southeasterner,

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 12, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I was a season ticket holder at Stade de Reims (Championnat National) and visited many away venues. I wouldn't expect the French league to be any better (but maybe worse) than the German, Italian, English and Spanish leagues.

While attending games (at the old stadium not the new one-yes they built a new stadium for a 3rd division team) we never had any power outages, I never saw the players trip up on pitching mounds or confused by American football lines, they had three natural gas training fields and every seat (never had a broken seat) in the stadium had an amazing view of the field.

The new stadium blows RFK out of the water and yes this is a facility for a French third division team...

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 13, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

What a gorgeous little stadium that is.

Sigh...

French 3rd division stadium porn: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/Stade_Auguste-Delaune_2_Trib%C3%BCnen.JPG

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 13, 2010 1:29 AM | Report abuse

That really is a gorgeous facility. Very jealous.

Posted by: fischy | April 13, 2010 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Dallas vs. DC United is Special game A on April 28 (plan A).
AC MIlan vs DC United is Special game C on May 26 (plan A).

Posted by: AlbertHall1 | April 13, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop
-----------------------
I was wondering if you meant to stress the first syllable or the second in "offensive". Either way, I agree.

Posted by: troy6 | April 13, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Cost: 50 mil Euro, 2004-8. Remodel of stadium from 1935. Capacity 21k.

The location, though, is awesome -- on the river through downtown Reims.

I don't see anywhere to tailgate though.

Posted by: Reignking | April 13, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

they had three natural gas training fields
Posted by: Southeasterner
==========

That's why they could afford a new stadium.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

they had three natural gas training fields
Posted by: Southeasterner
==========

That's why they could afford a new stadium.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 13, 2010 9:26 AM
---------------------------------------------------

That sounds like an explosive situation, but I'm sure T. Boone Pickens would love to get involved in a similar venture here.

Posted by: fischy | April 13, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

oh man, those stadium pics are just painful to look at. So nice. Tuck that little 21k right on in to Buzzard Point but make it a 25k job.

Posted by: DCB23 | April 13, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Southeasterner, that is a nice looking stadium in Reims. They were a top French team and may have big aspirations about getting better again.

Complaints about aging European stadiums are legion. Folks even complain about Wembley. Parc des Princes (if I got the name correct) has gotten plenty of criticism, recently too.

Hyperbole is fine but you wrote this about RFK: "It's always sad to have great foreign teams come to a stadium blocks away from the center of US power that [b]most third division European teams would never consider playing in[/b]."

Reims has a nice looking stadium. But your statement is not credible.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 13, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Reims has a nice looking stadium. But your statement is not credible.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 13, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I want to help you with something

Sarcasm: a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

This is a soccer blog not the economist...lighten up!

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 13, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse