D.C. United in Philly, Freedom at SoccerPlex

Primary logo (2008-present)

Image via Wikipedia

*D.C. United and 1,000 of its supporters will be guests at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia on Saturday for the expansion Union's home debut. Kickoff is 6 p.m. ET (Fox Soccer Channel). Join me on the Insider for the pregame scene and the DCU lineup.

*The Washington Freedom begins its second Women's Professional Soccer season by hosting the Boston Breakers at Maryland SoccerPlex in Montgomery County. Kickoff is 7 p.m. My colleague Paul Tenorio will provide coverage.

*The reorganized second division launches today with two matches, including AC St. Louis' debut at Carolina.

*With all due respect to our domestic circuits, however, the most anticipated match of the day -- and perhaps the spring -- is Barcelona at Real Madrid. Kickoff is 4 p.m. ET on GolTV, ESPN Deportes and ESPN3.com (formerly ESPN360.com).

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 9, 2010; 10:42 PM ET
Categories:  Barcelona , D.C. United , Freedom , MLS , Real Madrid , USA 2nd division , Women  | Tags: AC St. Louis, Boston Breakers, D.C. United, Fox Soccer Channel, Lincoln Financial Field, Maryland SoccerPlex, Washington Freedom, Women's Professional Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United news & notes
Next: Matchday: United-Union

Comments

Is Bahr still available as a potential GA signing? He might just give us that geriatric spark we've been missing.

Posted by: dcarmy | April 9, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

1000? Outstanding, and I'll be there!

Posted by: DCB23 | April 9, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tenorio, I get the chips out of your lunch box.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 9, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

North African Al Qaeda network vows to target USA-England

Granted, it is the Sun, but it's being reported by CBS too and of course CBS has waaaay more credibility.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 10, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

AP also reported a threat was made, but indicated that it wasn't linked to al-Qaida

Posted by: emanon13 | April 10, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

sh*t, at this point, if we score just 1 goal I'd consider it a "victory" for DCU.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

However, atleast Will Chang isn't Peter Angelos. God, what a horrible owner.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 10, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

On a more positive note I'd just like to leave everyone with (and yes if you know what song this is from you totally rock):

"And following our will and wind,
we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going."

Go DCU!!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 10, 2010 2:07 AM | Report abuse

North African Al Qaeda network vows to target USA-England

Posted by: benonthehill | April 10, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

I guess they will go to any level to assure that Slovenia makes it to the next round.

This should provide the US with the advantage. Our players are already used to playing Mexico at Azteca in front of 100,000+ angry people with weapons so AL-Quada, the Taliban, Somali Pirates or angry Israelis shouldn't phase them.

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 10, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

faze them

Posted by: GeneWells | April 10, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Los Hijos de Ben? Seran Los Hijos de la Gran ...?

Posted by: GeneWells | April 10, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Goff: thanks for putting ESPN3 in the listings. Otherwise, I would be missing the Madrid matchup.

Posted by: runningcloud | April 10, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm oddly comforted in knowing that Payne texts Nowak about Keilbasa.

Thank goodness he's not wasting his time getting a stadium sited and built. Or finding a proven goal scorer.

How do we text Will Chang to ask him to find a new front office?

"Will, about that letter you sent us a year ago. Keilbasa? Nevermind. Pass the mustard."

Posted by: dsheon1 | April 10, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

It brings me a lot of pride to see Cherundolo wearing a captain's armband for Hannover.

Though I do wish he'd kept the Gene Wilder look through the World Cup

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 10, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Though I do wish he'd kept the Gene Wilder look through the World Cup

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 10, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

If it were up to me I would go with the following lineup tonight:

Perkins
Talley Pena Jakovic Wallace
Quaranta Barklage Moreno Castillo
Allsopp Pontius

I can never figure why our coolest, best ballhandler is played as a forward and not as the #10. Especially now that we need one. Jaime has done it before when Etch was unavailable and did great. Use his assets (ball control, vision, passing, creativity) and minimize his weaknesses (speed and endurance). Let the young bucks run.

Just my opinion

Posted by: RRP1 | April 10, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The United fans heading up to Philly need to drink hot tea on the buses and save their voices for the game. Boooooooooooooooooooooo Biden! Boooooooooooooo every one of Union players and staff as they are introduced! Booooooooooooo their new stadium! Boo Philly!!!!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 10, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Jozy whipping in the cross to a wide own Kilbane in the 3rd minute. Hull up in the game that could save them

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 10, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Boooooo PowerBoater69.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 10, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Jozy whipping in the cross"

I'll stop short of calling it a bad cross as it did end up in a goal, but it was a floating balloon . . .

Posted by: delantero | April 10, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I was trying to give him some credit. You are mostly right though. From the Twitter feed.

SoccerInsider Latest buzz on possible D.C. United friendlies at RFK: AC Milan in late May, Glasgow Rangers in late July, Blackburn in early August #dcu
7 minutes ago

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 10, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

7 minutes ago

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 10, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double postings. Still trying to figure out this phone.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 10, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

On the bus to Philly. Good buzz going. ;-)

Posted by: KireDCU | April 10, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

And Hull loses at home to Burnley 1-4; Jozy goes90, at least.

Posted by: Reignking | April 10, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Cherundolo went 90 in a 4-2 Hannover win (hann)over Schalke.

Posted by: Reignking | April 10, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Dudes, I forgot to mention that I used that awesome coupon code yesterday and ordered FIFA World Cup 2010 for the XBox 360... That bad boy ships on the 27th....

Posted by: DadRyan | April 10, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Jumbotron at the Plex? Very cool.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 10, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm stuck at work.

Posted by: sitruc | April 10, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Our new scoreboard at the Soccerplex is awesome!

Posted by: kevinwparker | April 10, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I like the new scoreboard, but Freedom 8 - Boston 6, when we had 2 SOG and they had 4, makes me think that both teams need to work on not putting the ball in their own nets.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 10, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Further, the clock shows 0:00, so they did all that withour running any time off the clock.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 10, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope Nowak has become acquainted with Bridesburg, for kielbasa or anything else.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 10, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm still debating whether to head out to the 'Plex tonight. I wish the Freedom had adhered to last year's usual 4:00 p.m. kickoff time. Maybe there isn't that much overlap with United's fan base, and they've determined that they can make do without people like me.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 10, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Barca up by one early in the second half.

Posted by: universityandpark | April 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse