D.C. United's injury list grows

The cold rain at the RFK Stadium training grounds was an appropriate backdrop for D.C. United's session Tuesday morning.

As the winless club resumed work following Saturday's 3-2 loss to the Philadelphia Union, midfielder Brandon Barklage (minor concussion), suspended defender Dejan Jakovic (shaken up after getting kicked in the chest and head) and midfielder Clyde Simms, who has been out since the opener with a strained hamstring, watched from the sideline.

Defender Juan Manuel Peña, who will miss two to three weeks with a hamstring injury suffered Saturday, and reserve keeper Andrew Quinn (knee surgery) wandered by to watch practice. Defenders Bryan Namoff (post-concussion) and Marc Burch (foot) continue their long-term recovery.

Barklage, who has started the past two matches, apparently bumped heads with a Union player Saturday. He will be evaluated this week.

Check back with the Insider in a bit for more on United's personnel issues and the outlook for Saturday's match against the Chicago Fire at RFK Stadium.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 13, 2010; 12:59 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: Brandon Barklage, Bryan Namoff, Clyde Simms, D.C. United, MLS, Marc Burch, Philadelphia Union, Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday kickaround
Next: What's next for D.C. United?

Comments

Can we field the Academy team on Saturday night?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

And it's a rainy Tuesday. :-(

Ugh...

Can you hook us up with some good news in the next post, Steve? I don't need much, maybe just something like a deal between DCU & the DC govt on a Poplar Point stadium.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 13, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, can we just forfeit the season until August. Shocked to hear about Barklage, I have enjoyed watching him so far. Not so shocked about Pena, I'm surprised he lasted this long. Sorry for the negativity, but the team is not giving me much to be positive about.

Posted by: kris77 | April 13, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Cold rain?

Well I married me a wife,
she's been trouble all my life
Run me out in the cold rain and snow
Rain and snow
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Posted by: OWNTF | April 13, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The eagle inside me is screaming. We need good news, a win, and a fast.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 13, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

In fairness to Pena, what caused his injury was an awkward lunge to clear the ball, rather than just pulling up lame.

Still, this week's lineup is looking pretty soft, even by our standards. Najar is probably in line to start if Barklage can't go, and the back four will feature just one person (Wallace) that would start under ideal conditions.

On the plus side, the Ben's Chili Bowl stand is supposed to be open for this game.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 13, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Five starters on the bench. Ouch! Onalfo may never have the same 11 on the field two games in a row. It's tough to develop any type of flow under those circumstances.

I'll ask again: any way we can get Man United's trainer over her for a week? He/she got Rooney on the pitch quickly... maybe the same magic will work for our guys.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 13, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

No chili for United Demon until "the screaming eagle has landed"

Posted by: OWNTF | April 13, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

DCU fan, check.
O's fan, check.
'Skins fan, check.
'Zards fan, check.
Caps fan, check.

Talk about being a glutton for punishment.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 13, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Check back with the Insider in a bit for...the outlook for Saturday's match against the Chicago Fire at RFK Stadium.
######################################
I'll give you the outlook now: Prognosis negative.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 13, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Brandon Barklage should be considered for the center mid spot. Better suited for it than Tino at this point. Maybe Tino in the center should have been experimented first in the Open Cup before MLS play.

Posted by: ihillvt | April 13, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I feel like I ask this every year lately, but is there any other team with as many hamstring injuries as this one? Is it common to all teams and I just don't know it because I don't follow them closely? Or is there something weird going on with DCU? It just seems weird.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 13, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@ Poopy_McPoop
How many coaches can you fit on the Fire the Coach bandwagon?

Don't let the Cap's coach on!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 13, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Just checking in on the Fire before this weekend and...

"The requested page could not be found."

Posted by: Kev29 | April 13, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Or is there something weird going on with DCU?

Posted by: fedssocr | April 13, 2010 1:26 PM

Something weird besides The Curse of Poplar Point?

Posted by: Kev29 | April 13, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

So...

Perkins, with Hamid (who did not look good against Real Maryland) backing him up.

Wallace, James, Talley and McTavish, with Adams and Graye in reserve (Rice left after taking a knock on Sunday -- is he OK?)

Pontius, Morsink, Najar and Quaranta, with Castillo and Khumalo and Shipilane (does anyone know definitively how to pronounce his last name? I've heard Ship-i-lane and Ship-uh-lah-knee) in reserve. Is Yates eligible for an emergency call-up, or is that only for goalies?

Allsopp, Moreno and Cristman up top.

It's not good -- the team isn't good -- but, I think we're deeper than we were last year.

Posted by: fischy | April 13, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Or is there something weird going on with DCU?

Posted by: fedssocr | April 13, 2010 1:26 PM

Something weird besides The Curse of Poplar Point?

Posted by: Kev29 | April 13, 2010 1:44 PM

zoinks scooby!?!

Posted by: VTUnited | April 13, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

continued thread:

Good story about the Frenchman. Have I heard it before? Unqualified trialist with no credentials bluffing way onto major stage, quickly falling short, but parlaying the stunt into a reality show and an autobiography, and hoping his "fame" will land him his next job. "In terms of marketing, I am someone very, very valuable," he says.

========================================

It would have been the Rush Limbaugh story but ESPN thankfully fired him.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 13, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

the jerkstore called...

Posted by: VTUnited | April 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This gives DC United fans the following prospect to look forward to:
Perkins
Talley McTavish James Wallace
Morsink
Pontius/Najar Castillo
Quaranta
Moreno Allsopp

Bench: Pontius/Najar, Adams, Khumalo, Shipalane, Christman, Rice, and Hamid.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | April 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

DCU fan, check.
O's fan, check.
'Skins fan, check.
'Zards fan, check.
Caps fan, check.

Talk about being a glutton for punishment.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 13, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Poopy,

Caps fan, check? Seems like a pretty good time to be a Caps fan. I haven't seen one hockey guy pick the Habs series to go any further than five games.

I feel your pain on the others as I am a fan of all them as well.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 13, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

the jerkstore called...

Posted by: VTUnited | April 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

=================================

If you're referring to Rush, it's not jerk but big fat idiot.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 13, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTUnited | April 13, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

=================================

If you're referring to Rush, it's not jerk but big fat idiot.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 13, 2010 2:00 PM |

i wasnt.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 13, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Great... yet another match with Morsink starting... I've said it before, in reference to other dead weight on United, and it's been mainly tongue-in-cheek, but in this case I say this with all seriousness: I'm a better central midfielder than Morsink.

I might have to resist the urge to catch the ball at the top of the 18 and hit a dropkick over the crossbar, but that's a small price to pay.

Does anyone think we're going to hold on to Burch after he heals up? I hope he's let go.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 13, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad thing now to be a Caps fan. In fact it's the opposite.

I was merely pointing out the 5 "major" sports teams I enjoy, only 1 of them put a watchable product out. That's not a good percentage. Heck even Liverpool is stinking it up this year.

As for the Firing Coach bandwagon, Shannahan gets a pass. But Trembley and Saunders are on it right behind Onalfo. The 3 of those jokers need to start worshiping at the shrine of Boudreau.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 13, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

When it rains, it pours.

Posted by: Reignking | April 13, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

alec,

I completely agree with you about Morsink. I haven't been impressed at all.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 13, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Morsink is DCU's Vagenas. Not saying he's coach's pet or anything, but there's something that Onalfo likes about him. He has shown some leadership qualities that continue to be lacking for the club, so I give him some credit for that.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 13, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan: I'm sure there are some competent leaders in the French Military, but I damn sure wouldn't want to go into a firefight with them.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 13, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse