D.C. United news & notes

Forward Danny Allsopp (hamstring) and defender Julius James (groin) have joined the massive D.C. United injury list and will not play Wednesday in the U.S. Open Cup preliminary match against FC Dallas at RFK Stadium.

The other unavailable regulars are defenders Dejan Jakovic (shoulder), Juan Manuel Pena (hamstring), Marc Burch (foot) and Bryan Namoff (head/neck) and forward-midfielder Chris Pontius (hamstring). Reserve goalkeeper Andrew Quinn is also sidelined.

On the bright side .....

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

midfielder Clyde Simms is close to full fitness after straining a hamstring in the season opener and might play Wednesday.

"He is ready to go, and if makes sense to get him some minutes from a tactical standpoint and a physical standpoint to help him progress, we will do that,": Coach Curt Onalfo said.

Said Simms: "I still have to be careful with it and take it slow, especially tomorrow."

Pena has recovered from a hamstring ailment and participated in training Tuesday. However, he is being targeted to return for Saturday's league match against the New York Red Bulls rather than risk a setback Wednesday. "He is doing fine, but we're thinking more toward getting him ready for Saturday," Onalfo said.

The injuries do not leave Onalfo with many lineup options. But who is going to start against Dallas? Keep in mind that this is an Open Cup preliminary match, and if you can't trust inexperienced players in this game, when can you? Also consider that this is the first of four games in 11 days -- and possibly five in 15 days if United wins Wednesday and sets May 12 as the match date for the next Cup qualifier against Real Salt Lake.

Regardless of the event, DCU (0-4 in league play) needs a victory, any kind of victory -- if it takes overtime or penalty kicks (as might be necessary in an elimination match), they'll take it.

So expect a mix of regulars and reserves: Andy Najar, Brandon Barklage, Christian Castillo, Boyzzz Khumalo , Devon McTavish, Rodney Wallace and Adam Cristman, among others.

What about the goalkeeper? It seems to be a prime opportunity for Bill Hamid to make his professional debut.

"Bill is ready. He has been very, very good in training," Onalfo said. "We will make that decision as we get closer to gametime. ... What we like about Bill is that he is a gamer. The times we called upon him in preseason he did a good job. He's a huge kid with a good organizing presence for a young player and he continues to get better."

Asked if he is prepared to start, Hamid said: "No doubt. I'm ready."

Hamid cited fitness improvements in his development this spring, saying, "If you are a little heavyset, it is harder to move, it's hard to get to certain shots and crosses into certain areas. I feel a lot quicker and a lot stronger."

Goalkeepers coach Mark Simpson: "He's still a work in progress but he has made great strides. What better prospect are you going to find at [age] 19?"

Commenting on No. 1 keeper Troy Perkins, who has struggled in the first four league matches, Onalfo said: "He really looked like himself in training. The time off benefited him. ... It was big of him to put a lot on his shoulders. He didn't need to -- we win together and lose together -- and the biggest thing is him finding his form and knowing that he has a coaching staff that believes in him. We know he is going to get through it."

Added Simpson: "We need him to go out and be the old Troy, and we've seen signs of that lately. In his defense, we have thrown together some patchwork lineups. So many guys have been out."

By Steve Goff  |  April 27, 2010; 12:53 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: D.C. United, FC Dallas, Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday kickaround
Next: Bayern Munich to Euro Champions League final

Comments

Let's be careful with our old guys Pena and Moreno.

But at my back I always hear
Time's winged chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity.

(Barry Manilow, "Mandy" extended version)

Posted by: OWNTF | April 27, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Not a fan of the club punting in any competition, but they really could do without the bother of the Open Cup. They really need to get guys healthy for the upcoming meaningless friendlies...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 1:06 PM

But how can We Win Trophies if we're out of the running in every competition...

Posted by: sec133row5 | April 27, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

ANOTHER hammy!??!? This is ridiculous. I demand an investigation.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I hope we do not risk Simms. Give him another few days. Who knows who wins this one, our B team could always come through....

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

What's the over/under for hammy injuries from the Open Cup match?

I say 2, place your bets...

Posted by: ihillvt | April 27, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

DCU?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Mandy? MANDY?!

You're killin' me, Old Women's National Team Fan.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 27, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Red Bulls will be streaming their play in match vs the PU on their website tonight...

Will DCU or Dallas do the same? What's the over and under on that?

And where the hell is the UPS man with my FIFA10 World Cup game!?!!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Motion for Onalfo, Kasper and Paine to personally stretch every players's hamstring muscles before practice everyday?

All those in favor say aye. All opposed, well, I don't think anyone will oppose this.

Posted by: DonDraper | April 27, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Will DCU or Dallas do the same? What's the over and under on that?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 1:32 PM

Per FCDallasWeb twitter: "The USOC game v DC United will be broadcast live online at www.fcdallas.com on Wednesday. Stay tuned 4 more details"

Posted by: emanon13 | April 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to Clyde Simms starting at left back tomorrow, going 75 minutes, and getting injured somewhere else.

Posted by: Section117 | April 27, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Just kiddin Rand-al-Thor

It's really a poem published in 1681 but I didn't want to give away my true age.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 27, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

curt, don't play simms yet!!!! wait.

you put him in too early once this season already.

Posted by: hamlin_todd | April 27, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow will be the last RFK match w/o a bag over my head.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 27, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

we're cursed. must be a lot of black cats roaming RFK or something.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 27, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

they may be as big as cats, but those things at RFK are rats. which are even more unlucky.

Posted by: troy6 | April 27, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

If only we could get our injured starters back. Then we could be mediocre!

Posted by: Ron16 | April 27, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

What's most irritating about this rash of injuries isn't so much that it makes it more difficult to compete, but that it obscures just how rancid a job the front office did this past off-season. Now the talking heads can blame an abysmally bad season on injuries when there was no realistic hope in the first place.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 27, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@Ron16 I'd take it in a heartbeat over where we are now.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 27, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there a German doctor who repairs injured hamstrings?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 27, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

we're cursed. must be a lot of black cats roaming RFK or something.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 27, 2010 1:49 PM

According to a Brazilian friend's brother, who lives down there and follows DCU since going to a game with us last year, there's a frog that's been buried somewhere on the pitch and all we have to do is remove it and the season will turn around. I don't know if this is a common Brazilian theory when seasons are crappy or if he's just a little crazy:-)

I say we all storm the field looking for a frog carcass.

Posted by: DrBeaker | April 27, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The fans need to get their message across; if we don't lose Payne and Kasper, we will lose our franchise to another city.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 27, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

DC will also be streaming from its website

Per DCUnited facebook: "dcunited.com will web cast tomorrow's U.S. Open Cup play in match. Matchday Edition (line-ups and twitter chat) will start at 6:30 PM and the web cast will begin at 7:15 PM. Tony Limarzi will offer play-by-play."

Posted by: emanon13 | April 27, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Wonder whether it was Fred or Emilio who buried the frog.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 27, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I almost wish I wasn't going to the game tomorrow so I could hear Limarzi's return to the booth.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 27, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"there's a frog that's been buried somewhere on the pitch and all we have to do is remove it and the season will turn around."

WTF?!?!?! I mean, Hoffa or something makes some sense - but a FROG?!

Speaking of frogs, when I was in Brazil a few years ago there was a great show on their country's MTV called "Kiss The Frog" (except in Portuguese). It should have been imported to the US, along with sugar cane ethanol.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a doctor, but I watch them on TV, and I know for sure that hamstring and groin injuries are *preventable*. All you need is the right warm up and stretching routine, in addition to regular hydration.

Has there been any replacement of physical training staff? 'Cause I may not be able to train guys to peak physical fitness, but if I were hired, at least I would be able to prevent muscle strains. Our best players wouldn't be especially fast or strong, but at least they would be on the field.

Posted by: WorldCup | April 27, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

WTF?!?!?! I mean, Hoffa or something makes some sense - but a FROG?!

Posted by: nairbsod | April 27, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

It's an old Brazilian curse, apparently - it's referenced in the most excellent "Soccer In Sun And Shadow" by Edward Galaeno.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 27, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Dr. WorldCup Kildaire..

you are awesome :eyes roll:

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 27, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Does DCU not stretch their hamstrings before playing or training? This is insane for their to be 4-5 players injured that could have been prevented by proper stretching or it may be that Onalfo is running them too hard in practice. Either way it needs to stop and staff (coaching or training) should be held responsible with their jobs. There is no excuse for this kind of bush league treatment of DCU. What are we the Mets of MLS?

Posted by: no_recess | April 27, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Haven't been able to really play the game yet, but FIFA10 South Africa did arrive conveniently 20 minutes before this Champions League started... Long enough to boot it up and let it make the necessary update to my XBox. It looks freaking AMAZING! I'll try to get a quick match in during halftime.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorldCup | April 27, 2010 2:36 PM
***************************

Ever since Emilio kicked over that tray of Gatorade drinks on the sideline last season, the team has needed to cut back on refreshments.

It would have been overkill and/or bad form for Luci to bury a Brazilian voodoo frog under the turf.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 27, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@emanon, thanks for your always much appreciated due diligence.
The lady keeps it thorough!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The German doctor Rand-al-Thor asked about specializes in groins, but hamstrings might be a sideline.

Posted by: b18bolo | April 27, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Have the supporters re-worked Oh Danny Boy for Allsop?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 27, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Last I heard, OWNTF, there was a movement afoot for "Allsop the world and melt with you/we've seen the difference and he's getting better all the time/there's nothing United can't do/Allsop the world and melt with you."

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 27, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh86 | April 27, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

VercengetorixII & OWNTF

Allsop needs to do something before we sing his praises..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 27, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we could be heading towards a Bayern Munich-Inter Champions League Final that would bore all potential Fox viewers to tears.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

given the timing (just prior to S Africa), is AC Milan likely to send any of their key players for the May 26th DCU match at RFK?

Posted by: nnelson1 | April 27, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I expect AC Milan to bring players from their youth system and fringe players here. I can't imagine any of the starters or regulars coming here after a long season.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 27, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Goffer said there is a contract in place that requires at least some of their first team players (outside of World Cup squads members, obviously) to make an appearance in DC.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Holy Oli!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

And fischy continues his climb up the standings...

Posted by: Reignking | April 27, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

WorldCup:

By your logic (that all muscle strains are incredibly easy to prevent), literally every athletic trainer on every sports team in the world is grossly incompetent.

Also, for what it's worth, your methods of making the players stretch would actually go against what many trainers recommend now, which is actual dynamic movements rather than static stretching.

***

Argy Bargy players, I may have just left the door open to someone making a huge comeback. My one transfer was to bring Lisandro in and cut Ivica Olic loose. Now Olic has a hat trick. Since this is a family blog, I will leave out my opinion on this development.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 27, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Dude, I just checked our points and was surprised to see you'd transferred Olic out man! Have you played a wildcard yet?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Allsopp, who's Allsopp? Does DCU have a PLAYER named Allsopp? Brilliant front office, just brilliant....

Posted by: lovinliberty | April 27, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Lyon was at home, and Lisandro is usually dangerous. At the very least, I was figuring Bayern would need either another Robben moment of brilliance or a goal on a set piece (making Olic an unlikely scorer). Now, I feel shame.

I don't remember if I have my wildcard, but I'm leaning towards yes. However, I think we get 6 freebies between rounds again, and I'll already have players from both finalists, so I may end up just not using it. Chalk that up to showing off.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 27, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Man o' man, Innzo and Rocko knocking me out of second on the day... Chest, you did that just to make it interesting didn't you?
Still have 7 players one of which being my captain to play tomorrow... This has been a lot of fun this year guys.
Cheers!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I honestly don't put a whole lot of merit in the idea that static-stretching will actually prevent anything.

I've seen just as many studies that say static-stretching weakens muscles if anything, as those that say it will decrease your risk of muscle injuries.

I do a very minimal amount of static-stretching before rugby matches, and instead rely on active-stretching exercises like plyometrics. I'm closing in on 29, and I've yet to suffer any sort of muscular strain/sprain or hammy-pull in a rugby or soccer match. Of course now I'll probably completely ruin myself this weekend at the Baltimore Rites of Spring Tournament.

Posted by: alecw81 | April 27, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd be willing to wager, we have had more groins and hammies than any other team in MLS for the past three or so years. Has anyone in the FO questioned Brain Goodstein about this? Something is obvioulsy not being done correctly when it comes to fitness, conditioning and stretching. How can he get the award for MLS Athletic Trainer of the Year in 2007?

Posted by: boda-united | April 27, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Groins and Hammy injuries are not due to a lack of stretching. In most cases its a matter of OVER exerting your muscles after playing for a while. It does however mean that our fitness coach has been on vacation throughout the preseason. You cant fix it by simply stretching before and after each match. You must have weeks/months of training and stretching to be able to sustain your muscle agility through 90 minutes. Thats why you see moreno at his age not pulling anything, because he is well prepared. He probably has his own methods in preseason.

Posted by: g3impreza | April 27, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

ha...I'm reading about the Brazilian Dead Frog curse. Wonder if those MetroBullsRojos put a dead black cat in our goalpost.

Posted by: godpere | April 27, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Will DCU or Dallas do the same? What's the over and under on that?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 1:32 PM
------------------------------------

Sir, you cannot have an over/under on something without numerical value.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | April 27, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Chest_Rockwell:

You said "your methods of making the players stretch would actually go against what many trainers recommend now".

I didn't specify any method. I said "All you need is the right warm up and stretching routine". I didn't say which one is right. Dynamic stretching could well be be it - it's what I use.

Your broader point - that I've made muscle strain prevention sound easier than it really is - is surely true. That said, something is apparently wrong with DC's efforts to prevent muscle strains.

Posted by: WorldCup | April 27, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Y'know, if you google "brazilian dead frog curse" (without quotes) this thread is the first link returned.

Y'all scare me. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 27, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

what? munich?

Posted by: godpere | April 27, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Gentlemen: Prepare for locust. A waft of desperation prepares to descend upon us...

Posted by: MikeCinDC | April 27, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse