D.C. United news & notes

*D.C. United has acquired reserve midfielder Stephen King (Maryland) from the Seattle Sounders for a 2011 second-round draft pick. He scored twice in his rookie season with Chicago in 2008 and made 10 appearances for Seattle last year but has not played this spring. United will have to make a roster move later today to clear space for King.

*Luciano Emilio's eligibility for Saturday's home match against the New York Red Bulls at RFK Stadium (4 p.m., Comcast SportsNet/DC, Telefutura) remains unresolved as United awaits his international transfer certificate. If cleared to play, it would be in a reserve role because of fitness issues, Coach Curt Onalfo said. Emilio has not played a competitive match in more than a month.

*Defender Juan Manuel Peña (hamstring) has been participating in full workouts and said he is fit to play.

*United's negotiations with Blackburn Rovers for a friendly in early August at RFK fell through and DCU is exploring other options, the Insider has learned. United is already set to play AC Milan on May 26 and Glasgow Rangers on July 24.

*The second preliminary game in U.S. Open Cup qualifying, at home against Real Salt Lake, might be played in early June. However, May 12 and 19 remain options.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 30, 2010; 12:09 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United  | Tags: Blackburn Rovers, D.C. United, Luciano Emilio, MLS, RFK Stadium, Seattle Sounders, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday kickaround
Next: D.C. United releases Shipalane, Adams

Comments

"United's negotiations with Blackburn Rovers for a friendly in early August at RFK fell through and DCU is exploring other options"

How about focusing on the freaking league? Is that an option?

Posted by: beach3 | April 30, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Perkins

R BACK (?), Pena, Talley, Wallace

Tino, SIMMS!!, Najar, Castillo

Cristman, Allsopp/Moreno

Posted by: delantero | April 30, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Once again, the DCU front office looks just plain stupid or desperate. They could have had King 2 years ago with their 3rd round pick. Now, they've dealt away a second round pick to get him. I'd love to get a chance to play poker with these guys.

I'd say they're abandoning any sense of a coherent plan to stem the rush to the exits at RFK.

At least, the team's getting healthier.

Posted by: fischy | April 30, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy
________________________________

I really hope they don't think this particular move will do that.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | April 30, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

graye at right back, he did a decent job in the open cup, but i like the way your thinking delantero

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 30, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Yesterday, I wrote of Kasper's dishonesty with resepct to his statements about DCU not wanting Emilio at all. I was admonished by other posts which essentially said I should cut him a break because Emilio may have softened his demands, and that may have changed the dynamics, etc.

Bottom line is that Kasper could have said if he were smart, which he isn't, that DCU is open to Emilio's return under the right circumstances, or something conditional like that instead of flat-out saying Emilio would not be returning to DCU. But because Kasper is MLS's village idiot, he instead makes a 100% false statement and now looks like the fool that he is for opening his mouth that way.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 30, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

et tu, fischy? Bitterness from you, too?

We need a small winning streak just to lighten the mood around here...

somebody over egg the pudding, or something...

Posted by: JkR- | April 30, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd also say the DCU FO is getting a reputation in MLS for being easy-pickings. A 2nd round pick for a third-year player who hasn't even played a minute this year? They needed a goalie, so they overpaid for Perkins. They need depth in the midfield, so they've overpaid for King. These aren't smart deals they're making. Hopefully, they haven't hamstring their options later in signing Emilio.

The one thing I offer in their defense is the knowledge that they probably have to start winning some games in order to entice some real foreign talent to sign with the team. When Seedorf comes next month, they want to make a decent impression.

Posted by: fischy | April 30, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

R BACK (?), Pena, Talley, Wallace

Posted by: delantero
_____________________________

Talley, Pena, James, Wallace

Posted by: DCU_Rick | April 30, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

RSL hosts Houston in an MLS league match on May 13. Hard to imagine that the DCU-RSL match will be played May 12.

Posted by: yodawearsadidas | April 30, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

@DCU_Rick
There is no way that Talley can handle the speed of Nielsen who seems to be their first choice left winger

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 30, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

NYRB at DCU on Comcast Sportsnet? I guess with the Caps done, that opens that cable channel up.

Didn't there used to be a CCN-2 that was supposed to handle the overflow at NBA-NHL play-off time? Maybe KP's demand for a rights fee kiboshed that option.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 30, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Good job on getting King he played very well in U.S Open Cup last year scoring two very good game winning goals. He was buried in Seattle after we brought in two more mid fielders. I was a little disappointed we gave him up so cheaply.

Posted by: Gilby2 | April 30, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Kasper loves those ex-Terps: Mediate, Burch, now King. He floated hiring Cirovski as head coach and is behind his use as a back-up broadcaster on the team's TV.

Imagine that on your resume: You're 2nd string to the Great Rongini.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 30, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

If you're looking at ex-Terps, you're overlooking Rodney Wallace. Given Maryland's success, it's a no-brainer to like them. Not sure where you're getting the notion that Kasper floated the Cirovski to DC idea. Seems to me I read a lot about the possibility in comments here, but nothing that ever came from the inside.

Don't get me wrong -- I like the idea of bringing King in. The only hardware this team might win is the Open Cup. King would be a bigger contributor in that effort than, say, Fred's 18 year-old brother. I'm guessing he'll see time in MLS matches, too. I just think they've overpaid in trading what's likely to be an early pick in the second round. I also think they blew it in not picking him 2 years ago -- so, they don't love Terps that much.

Posted by: fischy | April 30, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

More likely Kasper was dishonest when insisting that some other MLS team had an interest in Emilio.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 30, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I thought fischy's first post was by lgm, who doesn't seem to understand that the heads of major organization, be it government, sports, or companies, aren't paid to tell the truth. They are paid to negotiate.

Posted by: Reignking | April 30, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 30, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

---------------------

Lighten up, man. Since when does anyone take as gospel truth anything that a professional sports team GM says about player acquisition? Much of it is posturing for other teams and public negotiation with the player.

I have issues with some decisions Kasper has made, too, but not with anything he said about signing Emilio. He's not obligated to keep us informed on such things.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 30, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I just took a look at that draft from 2008 - in which United could have taken King with its third rounder. Interestingly, United could have also had Geoff Cameron or Stephen Lenhart too. It's hard to predict how a player is going to pan out...I think the two years experience King gained by playing for Chicago/Seattle increases his value though.

Also interesting is that out of that draft, United now has had on its roster 9 of the 56 players selected despite only having three actual picks:

Julius James (#9 overall)
Ely Allen (#21)
Andrew Jacobson (#24)
Mike Zaher (#30)
Ryan Miller (#31)
Ryan Cordeiro (#33)
Stephen King (#40)
Tony Schmitz (#52)
Jeremy Barlow (#56)

Posted by: combedge | April 30, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Not DCU related, but regarding the future MLS Whitecaps:
"Crosley said BC Place operator PavCo is close to a deal that would see the Whitecaps commit to playing in the renovated facility for 15 years, meaning the team’s vision of playing in a soccer-specific Vancouver waterfront stadium couldn’t happen until 2025."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lions+Empire+Fields+takes+stadium+shape/2967969/story.html#ixzz0mbcQAaHk

Posted by: nairbsod | April 30, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Not a big fan of Talley at an outside spot. He just doesn't have the wheels.

Too bad we gave up Lawson Vaughn. He did an ok job there last season.

Posted by: delantero | April 30, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I like the combination of Talley, McTavish,
Pena and Wallace on the back line. Graye is to inexperienced right now for league play. We need consistency back there and the experience of Talley and McT are needed. Remember what happened last year when every game had a different back line?

Posted by: patrick18 | April 30, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and how did I miss the news about the Sister City tourney in Chicago? Really wish we could get something like that in DC, rather than just friendlies.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 30, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

oh, and finally - continuing my non-DCU comments - how nice of an agent to throw MLS and his client's seemingly only prospect under the bus (regarding Rui Marques going from Leesds to Toronto):

Evans (his agent) said: "Like hundreds of players, his future's up in the air at the moment, but he has got an offer to go to Toronto. It's a distinct possibility and I'd imagine he'll fly out there in the next few weeks to investigate it.

"But it's obviously a big contrast to the club he's with at the moment and a complete change of scene.

"I certainly think that a fully-fit Rui is capable of playing at Championship level and I wouldn't want him to drop below League One.

"We have to take the assumption that he's not going to get another deal with Leeds.

"Any player this close to the end of his contact has to look at his options, but Rui's priority would still be to stay at Leeds."

Posted by: nairbsod | April 30, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad United took a strong Stand to pick up Stephen King. Perhaps we'll have a Different Season as a result, and put the early part of the season out of its Misery. I know my friend, Christine, is excited about it. Though her friend, Carrie, is less so. King could be The Shining example the club needs right now. It could be better, but It could be worse, too.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 30, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | April 30, 2010 1:22 PM |

----------------------------------------------

Huh? I was pointing out they've done a lousy job in negotiating with other GMs. I don't care what they say or how they get there -- I was pointing to the end results.

Now -- my turn to sling an arrow:

Lawson Vaughn? Seriously??

Posted by: fischy | April 30, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I think you guys will actually like King and I could see him working into your midfield rotation pretty quickly.

He never performed poorly here in Seattle. But Sturgis has seemingly improved and moved ahead of him on the depth chart, and Sigi will never give up on Vagenas.

Posted by: scott47a | April 30, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

You are correct about that; I just happen to believe that the truth is the truth, and not subject to negotiation when stated in public,

PrinceBuster21: I'm not sure I agree with the "gospel truth" statement about pro sports GMs. I think they are more likely to give themselves enough wiggle room when commenting on player acquisitions. They make well-qualified statements that border on the disengenuous at worst, but seldom are they stupid enough like Kasper to box themselves in with a flat, unambiguous statement. There is too great a chance of looking like a liar or a fool later on if proven wrong, as Kasper was.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 30, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Rand-al-Thor: that schtick was thoroughly covered hours ago on Big Soccer. Posting it here just looks desperate for attention.

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | April 30, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I think I was last on Big Soccer in 2008, though it could have been 2007. Not sure.

But I am always desperate for attention. And Coke Zero. I love that stuff.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 30, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I like the team picking up Stephen King (of course I do, he’s a Terp). He will compete with Barklage and Najar for playing time, especially if the team is set on continuing with this new 4-2-3-1 formation that was so successful on Wednesday night. But I do agree with Fischy that they gave up a little bit more than I expected for a player who hasn’t played a minute in 2010. Allocation money would have been a fair trade. But a second round pick sounds like Seattle might have gotten the better of us again. Especially if the Sounders didn’t really want him anymore, and there probably wasn’t anyone else asking about him.

Posted by: DCUMD | April 30, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised it too you this long to write that.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 30, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

fischy, I kind of mixed my thoughts there. I was surprised by your use of "stupid", but I wanted to continue my train of thought through to respond to lgm.

Posted by: Reignking | April 30, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

i know the Emilio stuff may have been covered, but what does bringing him back now really accomplish besides confusing things? is he a starter? injury insurance? weren't they going to give Pontius time to get used to being a full-time striker? is the Allsopp experiment already over? didn't Cristman just play well enough to deserve more consideration?

i could go on, but all i remember from last year was dismay at how far Emilio's skills had eroded and how he was a drag on the team. hard to believe he's going to be the catalyst for a turnaround.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 30, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@I-270. It's that whole "work" thing getting in the way of play time on this Internet thingy. Squeezing in SI is about all I can do. The kids gotta eat.

Speaking of eating, looking forward to Saturday's double-header. Peanuts and a cold beverage, watching soccer. Good stuff.

Q: Why did the muffler mechanic fail to finish the job?

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 30, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me the difference between a 2nd round and 3rd round draft choice is worth a big can of Modelo, and little more.

I'm puzzled by the very personal bitterness towards Kasper. It seems well beyond the pale...

Posted by: JkR- | April 30, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

dimesmakedollars, I don't think Emilio was brought back as part of a turnaround.

I think he was brought in because it improved their chances of actually fielding 11 players for the games on the schedule. Most of the other player movement 'windows' are closed.

Posted by: JkR- | April 30, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

DCU is quickly becoming the Baltimore Orioles of MLS.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 30, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Modelo? Or Negra Modelo? Big difference.

Posted by: Reignking | April 30, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Lawson Vaughn. Better at the position than Talley, McTavish or James, who represent our current options. Not a long term answer, but neither are Talley or McTavish or James. I can't speak to Graye as I've never seen him play.

When's Namoff heading back to the pitch, anyways? The longer he's absent, the more me thinks he might not make it back, a la Gros.

Posted by: delantero | April 30, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I am bitter again today, thank you for asking.

Posted by: hungrypug | April 30, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero |

*************************

Namoff Twittered the other day that he was receiving some kind of injections into the base of his skull, as part of his rehab treatment.

I didn't find the bright side of that info...

Posted by: JkR- | April 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I have no real problem giving up a future second rounder for a role player today (especially with this team now) second round picks are basically a crap shoot, with worse odds. How many players taken in the second round? Besides Zusi and de la Garza? Where is Evan Brown these days?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | April 30, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, why you smacking on tne O's?

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 30, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm on edge of seat for muffler mechanic answer.

So how much does Emilio look like Maradona after a whole entire month without a competitive match?

Speaking of Gros he probably could have skipped six months and still been match fit.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | April 30, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming the muffler mechanic was exhausted. But not too tired to whack Kasper's muffler with a wrench...

Posted by: JkR- | April 30, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@JkR-

right, and i forgot about Pontius being injured for some reason. still rather see anyone but Emilio out there right now.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 30, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

lgm6986, Don't get me wrong. I love the O's. It's just that I'm very quickly becoming as apathetic to DCU as I am towards the O's. That's all.

Both seem to have people in their respective front offices that would really, really excel in politics or selling used automobiles.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 30, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

How about focusing on the freaking league? Is that an option?
Posted by: beach3
******************************************
10 4 on that good buddy; couldn't agree with you more.

More international friendlies? Re-freeking-dickulosis!!!

Why don't we just drop out of the MLS and schedule international friendlies?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 30, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I just found out Lionel Messi wanted to play for DC United, but they missed the window of opportunity because Kasper was on the phone with Blackburn! Which also fell apart!

Now what will we do for Special Game D?!?

A pox on the house of Kasper!

Posted by: JkR- | April 30, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

So from the looks of the internet research I just did, the injections in Namoffs skull were botox. Done in hopes of keeping the movement of everything in there as little as possible. However he has to constantly get this for it to work. Don't know how I feel about that

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 30, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

So how bad does the parking situation suck in Lot 8? The odds are starting to look really good that we'll be coming to the match tomorrow. I swear I read something about being re-routed to lot 7?
I'm in that group of people who live in VA who have long valued the convenience of getting off the SW/SE freeway and straight into the lot and also straight back out when the match is over....what's da 411?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 30, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Hooray! Emilio's got his transfer certificate. Maybe he'll score a goal to celebrate? If he had a sense of humor, he'd toss a bunch of water bottles into the crowd.

Posted by: fischy | April 30, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Twitter says:

SoccerInsider - D.C. United received Luciano Emilio's international transfer certificate, making him eligible for Saturday's match vs Red Bulls at RFK #dcu

They would have had it earlier, but Kasper was emailing Blackburn!

Posted by: JkR- | April 30, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming the muffler mechanic was exhausted...

Posted by: JkR- | April 30, 2010 3:56 PM
==============

(In my best NetFLix commercial-guy voice):

You're RIGHT!

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 30, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

They would had it earlier, but Kasper was on the lot showing off some used pickups.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 30, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 30, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Does constantly mean for the rest of his career or did you mean constantly during his rehab?

Posted by: elopingcamel | April 30, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse