Early Thursday kickaround

*Adam Cristman scored twice and Andy Najar, 17, had his first professional goal plus an assist as D.C. United defeated FC Dallas, 4-2, in the preliminary round of the U.S. Open Cup. Coach Curt Onalfo was ejected in the first half for disputing a call. United will host Real Salt Lake in the next stage, with the winner advancing to the tournament proper this summer. Few cared enough to show up at RFK Stadium: Announced attendance was 2,804. Bonus quotes here.

*Toronto FC took the first step toward reclaiming Canada's domestic trophy, the Voyageurs Cup, with a 2-0 victory over the second-division Montreal Impact. Canada cares: Attendance was listed at 21,436. TFC defender Ty Harden received 22 stitches for a leg injury suffered in the first half and defender Nick Garcia left before the break with an apparent head injury.

*American midfielder Jose Francisco Torres is going to the Club World Cup. Thanks to a stoppage-time goal by teammate Edgar Benitez, Pachuca beat Cruz Azul, 1-0, in the second leg of the CONCACAF Champions League finals. The clubs were even on total goals, 2-2, but Pachuca's away goal in the opener was the difference. Torres played 80 minutes.

*For American midfielder Clint Dempsey and Fulham, a berth in the Europa League final is at stake in the second leg of the semifinals with Hamburg (3 p.m. ET, DirecTV Channel 461). The first match in Germany was scoreless. Liverpool will try to overturn a 1-0 loss at Atletico Madrid in the second leg of their semifinal (3 p.m. ET, GolTV). The championship match is set for May 12 in Hamburg, a predetermined location.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 29, 2010; 12:09 AM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , CONCACAF Champions League , Canada , Club World Cup , D.C. United , England , MLS , Mexico , U.S. Open Cup  | Tags: CONCACAF Champions League, Clint Dempsey, D.C. United, FC Dallas, Jose Francisco Torres, Pachuca, Soccer, Toronto FC, U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight - United vs. FC Dallas
Next: USA soccer team unveils home jersey

Comments

error in posted story (missing a name):

..... with a clever outside-of-the-foot lifted chip over a defender that sprung , who chipped a shot over FC Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman.

Posted by: decoi | April 29, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Apparent head injury? I'd say so. Garcia was knocked out by a Roberto Brown punch.

Posted by: KurtA | April 29, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Vamos, Vamos, Vamos United!
Vamos Los Tuzos!
El Gringo! Vamos, Vamos! Vamos!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

2804? Wow! I had low expectations for the attendance but that is just pathetic. The Freedom would be disappointed with that number. Heck, I've attended HS football games with more fans in attendance. They should play the next game in Germantown.

Posted by: croftonpost | April 29, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

After reading peoples posts on the game I just got to say I am glad for Najar.

Also, good for Torres. Can't wait for the Dempsey game. I am 50/50, do I watch the game on my computer or do I go to the bar below my apartment. My class tomorrow is also at a bar, so maybe I just start drinking at noon for the game and continue till class at 6. Can't hurt.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 29, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Many congratulations to el gringo and Los Tuzos. (surely that's already a band...)

hopefully we'll be able to say the same to Dempsey in 12 hours.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 29, 2010 5:44 AM | Report abuse

@ Dad, Grubbsy, and JacobfromAtlanta.
I agree!!! VAMOS United and Pachuca (only because of Fransisco 'El Gringo' Torres).

Bueno suerto Fullham!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 29, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

The weeknight games at the plex are just not that easy to get to.

Fun last night, Najar was on it, Castillo impressed me. I have always been a fan of Khumalo but I lost count of the times he simply passed the ball to nobody or straight to Dallas. Or worse, these weak taps that die out half way to the intended target.

And with nobody to block my view, you really do notice these things.

Posted by: DCB23 | April 29, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

The link to "Bonus quotes here" is broken.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | April 29, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

The memo finally arrived (during the bye) United is allowed to score. Does DC own Dallas in the USOC or what?

Congrats to Pachuca. I was actaully rooting for them yesterday for two reasons. For our boy Torres (duh) but also because they played the more attacking and attractive soccer. Torress has some sweet vision too. He looked very good in that game. Not to get ahead of ourselves here, but if their developments continue as projected, we are looking at a very talented and technical breed of players in the next cycle.

Posted by: Kosh2 | April 29, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Great game. Our #1 draft choice looked really solid. He was nervous, but got over it and did a solid job. It was a bonus to get home after the game and find out we signed Emilio. With the kids in last night, he won't have to worry where the next header is coming from. They did well. Even Perkins relaxed the last half of the final half.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | April 29, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: torrey151 | April 29, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Saw Pachuca play the silverbacks here in 08. Fans won me over as much as their style of play. Helps they had an American, but that was before he declared his loyalty to us. And yea, I do take credit for that, as in warmups I stood 15 feet away and suggested the stars and stripes, and he turned and nodded and pointed my way. So, you're welcome, America.

And for those interested in Gooch news:

OguchiOnyewu5 The kid is back!!!! Normal training from here on out, no restrictions.... Bless!!! God is Great!!!

How many more games does Milan have? 3?
about 1 hour ago

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 29, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

It wasn't lack of interest that kept me away, it was the weather . . . on a weeknight . . . after a hard week (already!) at work. I enjoyed every minute on the webcast . . . except for the jerki-ness of the stream.

Posted by: carnack | April 29, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

it was $28 per ticket that kept me and 10 to 15 of my colleagues from coming ($10 and all 15 of us would have come; fewer as the price increases). and we'd have averaged three beers apiece to boot, plus a few shirt sales. nice thinking, FO.

sorry; I'm a broken record on this subject and will stop now. (kids: google "broken record" for an explanation)

Posted by: troy6 | April 29, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I just read the Wicks story. Interesting stuff. It explaines a few things we all saw on the field from him. I hope he catches on somewhere, just not DCU.

Posted by: jjfooty | April 29, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

@grubbsbl

If you keep using the word till instead of until or even the slang version 'til then you will do just fine in class.

Posted by: no_recess | April 29, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Are there video highlights of DC United's game somewhere?

Posted by: sofiaboy | April 29, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Torres, Najar!

I try to dismiss superstition, but Onalfo should get ejected as often as possible.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 29, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Broken Record: a vinyl record with a scratch

still don't understand

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 29, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

What UnitedDemon said.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 29, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Whatever paper said this was a "meaningless exhibition game" was right. As much as we try to put lipstick on the pig and wave our hands and repeat over and over that the USOC means something, it does not change the fact that USOC means nothing. It is just a bunch of training matches, a good opportunity to get some guys some minutes who are not getting minutes in real games.

The crowd of 2800 was pretty good, I'd say, for a practice game. And at least DCU won.

We can also cheer ourselves remembering that the Capitals won the Presidents Trophy! The Capitals won the Presidents Trophy! Wow! Break out the champagne! When is the parade?

Posted by: Ron16 | April 29, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Was last night a justification of Kevin Hartman being discarded? He faced 5 shots on frame and made 1 save, if the statistics are to be believed. He looked awful, especially on the Najar goal and the 2nd Cristman goal.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | April 29, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

So, is the key for a DCU victory to not have Onalfo on the bench?

Posted by: rss317 | April 29, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Broken Record: a vinyl record with a scratch

still don't understand

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 29, 2010 8:44 AM
------------------------------------------------------------

I love this post!! Nothing like it to remind me how old I am. Back in the day, we cranked up the car before it started, we cranked up the phone before we asked the operator to connect us, and we cranked up the phonograph before we placed a vinyl record on the spindle and it dropped on the turntable. J/k

If a scratch was bad enough, the needle got stuck in a groove and kept repeating the same one second snippet -- so you'd keep hearing the same word over and over again, until someone went and moved the needle to skip past the problem area. "Sounding like a broken record."

Posted by: fischy | April 29, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

That Examiner piece on Wicks is a _must_ read for DCU fans.

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 29, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"To those who object to this notion, please answer me this: If the USOC is so great, then why does the DCU FO, from Chang on down, according to their public statements, consider the year we last *won* the thing a failure?"

-Ron16

Because we still didn't make the playoffs. Winning the Open Cup is important, but it's not THE most important thing, and by not making the playoffs, we cut ourselves out of even having a chance at winning The Most Important Thing.

And if you were at the Open Cup Final in '09, you wouldn't make assertions like the one above. Or maybe you were, but I have a hard time thinking that anyone could pooh-pooh the Open Cup's importance after being at that game.

I was there last night and had a blast. Yes, tickets were more expensive than I would've liked, but I got to watch our team win for the first time this year. It was an exciting and fun game, and while I understand if they move it to Germantown, that will probably eliminate me from attending because of rush hour etc. Oh well, do what you must FO.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 29, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I saw my mate the other day,
He said to me he saw the white Pele,
So I asked, who is he?
He goes by the name of Clint Dempsey,
Clint Dempsey, Clint Dempsey,
He goes by the name of Clint Dempsey...
COYW!

Posted by: harkes4ever | April 29, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@Ron16
At this point, I'm not sure DCU has anyone left who ISN'T getting minutes in real games...

Posted by: jburksva | April 29, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

That attendance is pretty shocking, given that ALL season ticket holders and "A" half plan holders (whether they attended or not) were probably counted in the number. Doesn't make you feel good about our season ticket base.

Posted by: the_slammer | April 29, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

@croftonpost from the previous thread:
I was a drunk idiot and just pissed off about the Caps myself last night. Please excuse my stupitivity... ;)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU_Rick | April 29, 2010 9:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------

You're overlooking a salient fact: He looked even worse on Castillo's free kick goal. Sure sometimes you see a goalie get beat on those long curling kicks into the box, because they hold their ground waiting for a header that never comes. This was one of those moments, except that Hartman was still in position and had time to make the save. He just missed it somehow.

Even some of his punts were weak. It's been a long time since I saw a goalie have such a lousy game.

It was a sparse crowd. I took in the beginning of the second half from the "Corona Beach" porch while I ate my pupusas. Being away from the Barra, I could actually hear a Dallas player yelp in pain when he went down near the corner.

I doubt there would have been a better crowd at the 'Plex -- not with a Game 7 Caps game, little advance publicity for this match, and a very cold, school night. I love the 'Plex, but the problem wasn't RFK. It wasn't just United fans that stayed home. The roads were mostly empty, which was nice -- since I missed a Metro train and the wait was too long for the next one. I left Bethesda just after 7, and made it in time to see the opening kick. That might have been a broken record!!

If the northern Beltway was normally this empty at night, United could build in Montgomery County -- but I'd say it was unusual. Interestingly, I'd say the crowd was mostly United diehards, so Castillo's improved performance and his goal weren't received by wildly enthusiastic (not season-ticket-holding) Salvadoreans. Maybe, they'll hear about it and keep coming....

Posted by: fischy | April 29, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | April 29, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

==================

. . . or, under certain circumstances, one might listen intently with the vague notion that somehow the scratch was not coincidental, and you were meant to hear a message from, say, Pink Floyd . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | April 29, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

crofton: continuing last night's Caps-bashing, I grew up in Philly and DC, and I love all Philly teams -- except when it comes to soccer, since Philly didn't have a team. Just like DC, you are going to get a mix.

I miss making fun of Nutralite.

Posted by: Reignking | April 29, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Attendance was about what it should be at a weeknight US Open Cup play-in game. Actually it was probably one of the highest attendances in the history of US Open Cup play-in games and easily dwarfed attendance I've seen at similar quality reserve games on the RFK Auxiliary fields.

Still had a lot of fun.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | April 29, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

If anything is dating anyone, it's the fact that you guys are talking like vinyl records aren't being produced anymore.... I don't pay for music any other way.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 29, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

1)any game that get's our new guys gelling is worth playing. 2) I'll take the weather last night to 95 degrees and humidity
3) Tino still sucks
4)We found a new free kick taker, Castillo was great

Posted by: knape1 | April 29, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I kept blinking, so I was missing some goals...DCU_Rick, I didn't know that was the vaunted Hartmann in goal. What a disaster that last Cristman goal was.

He committed the cardinal sin -- getting caught in no-man's land. Did he not trust his CBs?

Posted by: Reignking | April 29, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy

You are correct, sir. I incorrectly recounted that goal as having been Najar's. Yes, Hartman looked the worse there. He may have misjudged the depth of the ball played to Cristman on his 2nd goal, causing him to be stuck in no man's land, but to be so abused by the Castillo free kick was unbelievable. To Castillo's credit he did not run around screaming in celebration, as even he must know he had no business scoring there.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | April 29, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCU_Rick

Unlike DeRo v Seitz the other week...

Posted by: Reignking | April 29, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@fischy

hahaha, I hope you know I'm kidding. I'm a graduating GIS major at JMU, I better know what a broken record means by now.
On a related note, if anyone knows any entry level GIS jobs available in the DC area so I can get season tickets to DCU games I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 29, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Talking about the attendance of US Open Cup games is meaningless. No one attends because it is poorly marketed to begin with. No one even knows the games are happening and no one seems to understand what the tournament is in the first place or what its relevence is. I'm surprised there were over 2000 there, frankly.

Will Herculez Gomez make the World Cup Squad?

Posted by: dwreck1971 | April 29, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

S-Offender, It would be helpful to know what GIS stands for.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 29, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@Ron -- I'm guessing that if you and I don't know what GIS stands for, there's no chance we can be much help.

Posted by: fischy | April 29, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Ron16 - That would be Geographic Information Systems. Its spatial analysis work using sophisticated computer software

btw - are there really 15 other Rons??

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

and yes, you are right fischy

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 29, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I wondered why the match was staged in cavernous RFK instead of SoccerPlex, where 2,000+ might have looked OK, and was told that when it is MLS v. MLS Garber insists that the match take place in an MLS stadium. When we play USL teams SoccerPlex comes into play.

Posted by: b18bolo | April 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo | April 29, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

fischy and S-Offender, now that I know what GIS stands for, I'll check our co's DOD and Civil Sector openings.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 29, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

last night's video up on United site...

win was gifted by Hartman. Caught in no man's land twice and gaffed on Castillo's free kick. Najar looks pretty nasty though, must say.

Posted by: inzzo79 | April 29, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Despite the mid-week play date, small crowd and windy conditions the game was entertaining and positive. Granted, we had at least one and maybe two soft goals but I look at it as a confidence builder. Dallas put pressure on our defense in both halves and Perkins was busy. Sure, special game A was in my package but its about supporting the club - even the reserves as they obviously will need to play an important role with all the injuries. Good to see Clyde out there again as a second half sub.

Posted by: sbg1 | April 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: b18bolo
________________________________

If true, this must be a (relatively) recent declaration. The DC United/Chicago Fire USOC match when Blanco got ejected for punching Clyde Simms was played at the Soccerplex.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | April 29, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

There was also the matter of a little game played at the corner of 7th and Abe Pollin Way ....

Posted by: bs2004 | April 29, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

wow thanks Ron,
I guess if you see anything leave a note here and i'll shoot you my email

Posted by: SexyOffender | April 29, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Hartman looked terrible in general. He gave us three goals.

Sure it was our B-ish team against their B-ish team, but I think a win is good no matter what.

I am surprised the crowd was that big. It didn't seem like much more than 1000.

Najar is awesome. I think he's earned that "14". MotM two games in a row. He's got quick feet. How many times did he steal the ball right off the foot of one of the Dallas players?

Castillo finally had a good game, but I think he will continue to struggle against better teams.

Graye looked pretty solid. Boyzzz was the weakest link out there last night.

Posted by: fedssocr | April 29, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

A win of ANY kind is such a breath of fresh air right now. It almost makes me wonder if the U.S. Open Cup SHOULD be the top goal for this year, at least at this point (I don't mean to be a downer, because I actually am feeling great after watching most of that game last night). If things really start gelling and we bring in some fantastic talent during the summer transfer window, then we can re-evaluate the team's goals and set our sights higher, but for now... I'd GLADLY take USOC champions.

Posted by: elopingcamel | April 29, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure it's already been mentioned but everyone knows why we won last night, right?

Because our "head coach" wasn't on the bench for the 2nd half.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 29, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse