Euro results, DCU injury, Dempsey out

*With Bayern Munich's stirring comeback at Old Trafford and the French derby settled, the UEFA Champions League semifinals are set:

Inter Milan vs. Barcelona (April 20 and 28)
Bayern Munich vs. Lyon (April 21 and 27)

The final is May 22 in Madrid.

Bayern trailed Manchester United 3-0 late in the first half (and 4-2 on aggregate), but Ivica Olic scored just before the break and, after Rafael's ejection for Man U, Arjen Robben struck a stunning volley from 18 yards in the 74th minute. The German side advanced on away goals (2-1). Meantime, Lyon lost at Bordeaux, 1-0, but went through on aggregate, 3-2.

*Americans abroad: Midfielder Maurice Edu went 90 minutes in Glasgow Rangers' 3-1 victory over Aberdeen. DaMarcus Beasley was in the 18 but didn't play. ... Clint Dempsey will miss the return leg of Fulham's Europa League quarterfinal at Wolfsburg on Thursday with a thigh injury.

*Claudio Reyna, a member of four U.S. World Cup squads, was introduced as the U.S. Soccer Federation's youth technical director.

*D.C. United is awaiting the prognosis for rookie goalkeeper Andrew Quinn, who hurt a knee in training this morning and was taken to the hospital for tests. Starting keeper Troy Perkins returned from illness to resume training today and No. 2 Bill Hamid (shoulder) was upgraded to probable for Saturday's match at Philadelphia.

*More than 25,000 tickets have been sold for the United-Union match at Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia's inaugural home game. Capacity is set at 37,000. Several hundred DCU supporters are expected to attend.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Steve Goff  |  April 7, 2010; 4:50 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , Euro Champions League , MLS , USSF  | Tags: Arjen Robben, Claudio Reyna, D.C. United, DaMarcus Beasley, FC Bayern Munich, Manchester United F.C., Old Trafford, UEFA Champions League
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: Rooney starts for Manchester United
Next: Thursday kickaround

Comments

Has Sir Alex ever admitted that Man U screwed up or just lost?? Seems to be that they are always robbed.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson on Rafael's sending-off: "Young boy, inexperience, but they got him sent off. They all rushed towards the referee. Typical Germans. You can't dispute that."

Posted by: rockotodd | April 7, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with what he said? It was stupid of Rafael but the official didn't look as if he was going to book him until Ribery and the rest started shouting at him.

Does it really matter what Sir Alex says? If he had all the praise in the world for BM then no one would even mention it.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 7, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Personally I still think you should get carded for asking for them. I hate the protesting and jibber jabber. The ref looked like he was going to give Rafael a final warning but was then convinced otherwise. Then the Germans started doing the other thing I can barely stand: the time wasting... Someone should have thrown a bottle them...;)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"Typical Germans. Beating the English in an important match."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 7, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rockotodd

They were Robben'ed.

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"Typical Germans"

Yeah, that kind of stuff doesn't happen elsewhere in the world...

Posted by: rademaar | April 7, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Sitting back in 3rd in the Argy Bargy. This has been a lot of fun. Will be interesting looking at the transfers.

Is anyone NOT available in the next matches due to cards?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Remember just 2 years ago, Bayern Munich could only qualify for the Cup, so they went on a spending spree? Ribery was the key, but Robben has out them over.

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Was pulling for Man U but hard not to give Bayern credit.

They didn't lose their cool when Man U had them on the ropes in either leg and in both legs they managed to score the final 2 goals.

Posted by: david93 | April 7, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

25000-18500=6500

That's at least 6,500 people that won't be able to buy a ticket to a Union game (or concessions) once the new PPL Park opens.

Mayhaps they underestimated the soccer market in Philly just a wee bit when they planned the stadium...?

Posted by: Juan-John1 | April 7, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Typical Germans, like Franck Ribery, the Frenchman.

Posted by: hungrypug | April 7, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John:

Or maybe it's a combination of

1) A larger crowd than normal for the first ever home game for a new team

and

2) Philly wanting tickets to be scarce (Seattle and TFC style) to drive up demand, pricing, and planholders?

Posted by: the_slammer | April 7, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to know the attendance for the inaugural MLS game in every city if someone has that lying under their TPS reports.... did DC draw more than 25k for the first game at RFK?

Posted by: IamAM | April 7, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Ivan Carter just stumped for a new stadium for DCU on Washington Post Live. This was during a discussion with a person from the FO of the Washington Kastles, who have their own stadium.

Posted by: AbuSamra | April 7, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Who's Ivan Carter? Any relation to the Hurricane?

Posted by: OWNTF | April 7, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: IamAM | April 7, 2010 5:44 PM

First home opener... 35,000+ vs LA, if I'm not mistaken.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 7, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@IamAM - according to the dcunited.com site, the forst home game against the Galaxy (a 1-2 United loss) drew 35,032. the 2nd game against the Burn (a 3-1 victory) drew only 11,253.

in their 3 home playoff games that year, they averaged over 21,000.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 7, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

video (screen size drop and language shift after the first 2 goals):

a pixelated look at Robben's goal:

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | April 7, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

37,000? That's it? I would have figured they could sell the place out for the first ever game against a regional rival. And only several hundred DCU supporters? That's much lower than I would have expected, too...

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 7, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 7, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

A couple of interesting stories on the MLS site.

1) Houston city council voted to approve the latest plan for a Dynamo stadium, by Minute Maid Park. All that remains is for the Harris County board to sign on. They may vote next week.

2) Schelotto says he has not been contacted by Boca mgmt about taking over Juniors as coach. However, it seems that the team President is headed to Columbus to speakto him about the position. This could impact DC in several ways. First, Columbus would take a big hit if they lose GBS. Second, rumors are that if Schlotto takes the job, Riquleme will soon be sent packing. Schelotto basically "no commented" about Riquelme.

Where would Riquelme go next? Let's see -- what team is desperate to have someone who can direct an offense and score on a free kick -- where his age would not be a deal-killer? Dave Kasper, meet Juan Riquelme.

Posted by: fischy | April 7, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

"nd only several hundred DCU supporters? That's much lower than I would have expected, too...

Posted by: kdiff813 | April 7, 2010 6:34 PM"

Some of us have little ones that prevent us from making the trek. If they can get more than 300 DCU supporters to the game, I'll be impressed.

Posted by: nairbsod | April 7, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Not per individual home openers, but the new site does have season attendance averages.

1996 Stats - Attendance (Home Avg)
Colorado - 10,213
Columbus - 18,950
DC - 15,262
Dallas - 16,010
KC - 12,877
LA - 28,915
NY - 23,897
New England - 19,024
San Jose - 17,232
Tampa Bay - 11,678

Posted by: emanon13 | April 7, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

SAF made a bad move keeping Park off of the roster. He could have used him after Rafael was booked and sent off.

Posted by: nats_fan | April 7, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

270:

*slow clap*

fischy:

Riquelme to DC. We need to start this thing from the ground up. I'm writing my senator!

nairbsod:

Read somewhere that there are already 500+. I have no idea if that's true, but it sounds reasonable.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 7, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Riquelme would be perfect. Ah well.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I wonder if this is the year Lyon makes the final. They've been a remarkable organization for years now. Statistically, you think it would happen sooner rather than later, and clearly Bayern is kind of suspect in the back.

US soccer's entire right flank is hurting.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 7, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, several hundred will still be significant.

And, we get a police escort in and out of the stadium.

So, are you going.

If not, STF up.

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 7, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Let's see how good Kasper really is. He's spent many years making "scouting" trips to Argentina and supposedly through a family member has a contact who barters in Argies (Gomez, Erpen can through this pipeline). Let's see if he really does something or is nothing more than a fraud.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 7, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

just made my move in Argy Bargy

Posted by: inzzo79 | April 7, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

After watching those goals, I cannot believe ManU lost. That Olic goal was weak!

seahawkdad, what are you whining about?

Posted by: Reignking | April 7, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Fear not, several hundred will not be just three hundred.

I know the Screaming Eagles alone account for 300 folks for this match, so I suspect the final number of DC United supporters at the match will be at least twice that.

However, you shouldn't expect a particularly visible presence since the usual flags, banners and tifo will not be permitted at the Linc.

Our voices from on high will have to suffice to spur the team on to the victory ;oD

Posted by: SEOutreach | April 7, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts of Philly Opener:

Wish I was going. I'll be looking on with pride that those who do and represent. Vamos Barra Brava, Screaming Eagles, and La Norte! Not to mention the Dark Cyde!!!! Booyah Kaaah!!!

I'll go next year when they have the new stadium open. Or if we meet in the playoffs....

As for attendance numbers, I know a guy here in Arlington that has drummed up at least a party of a dozen after I mentioned the match. He's going back home to PHilly to see his favorite team(United) play in the old home town with BOTH sides of his family. Wouldn't be surprised if similar stories are being played out all over the Eastern Seaboard... right?

I sure hope DCU don't sell their fans short when they finally get the investors to get their stadium done. I don't care if it's in PG, MOCO, Dulles, Haymarket, DC. I'll be buying season tickets. 26K+ minimum.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

How can the Philly FO move 6 or 7 sections of people 3 days before the game after printing and sending out the tickets? It was stupid of them to put us above the Sons of Ben to begin with but to move everyone 3 days beforehand seems like it is going to exacerbate the poor planning.

Posted by: rockotodd | April 7, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Olic looks like Frank Gorshin who played the Riddler in the old Batman TV series

Posted by: GeneWells | April 8, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

@rockotodd

From my understanding Bayern should have had at least one player sent off. I get that Ferguson whines about officiating, but I think he has a case in this match and against Chelsea.

Posted by: no_recess | April 8, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Finally saw Robben's goal -- very, very impressive.

Sorry, BaRRD...

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 8, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

the officiating in the MANU game was not terrible but the red card definitly changed the game. a second Bayern goal was inevitable after the sending off. I was suprised it was off a set piece. I did not feel that bayern were all that dangerous out of the run of play. Robbens goal was quite good, if not a bit lucky it did not hit someone and go wide, but quite good. I agree that the bayern players basically bullied the ref into giving the red. a bit disgracful if you ask me. Ribary was the one leading the charge at the ref. I lost a lot of respect for him as a player after watching him whine and complain everytime he was breathed on. he was lucky not to get booked himself for swinging his arm at raphael after the foul.

Posted by: jjfooty | April 8, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

We have a dozen or so (that I know of) making the drive from Richmond, VA. to Philly for the game.

Posted by: rwhgeek | April 8, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

not to pile on, but Rafael's move was stupid and was clearly a bookable offense. knowing he already had a yellow, MU has only the player to blame. that said, footy has a point that Ribery could well have been booked himself for the shot he took at Rafael (but Ribery wasn't carrying a card, so that wouldn't have changed the outcome).

and I doubt seriously that any ref has ever said, "oh, what's that? you disagree? I'm sorry, I'll change the call then."

Posted by: troy6 | April 8, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

How could adidas use a template for the design?!?!?!?!

;)

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | April 8, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"Several hundred DCU supporters are expected to attend." Let's hope the team shows up, for once this season.

Posted by: Dew930 | April 8, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

It is nice to see the Champions League semi-finals without ANY teams from the most over-rated league in Europe.

Posted by: DCUSince96 | April 8, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | April 7, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Dad,

By the time it finally happens, I just hope I'm still around to buy tickets. :)

Posted by: Gambrills4 | April 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: emanon13 | April 7, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the season averages are going to be thrown off by the July 4 fireworks game - if I remember correctly Dallas drew over 50k for that one game, as did many other cities.

My point was, with all the expectations from Seattle and Toronto, and the grass roots efforts that have been in place for years, and the size of the market that a 25k pre-sale was really low.

Posted by: IamAM | April 8, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Sir Alex Ferguson is one of the best managers in the game, but he's also a tool. Excusing your team for letting a 3-0 lead slip through their fingers just demonstrates a lack of class. Perhaps I don't blame him for not taking his players to task in the media, but never did he credit his opponent, and I find that weak.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | April 8, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse