FIFA rankings: Brazil #1, England #8, USA #14

For entertainment purposes only, FIFA has released the latest world rankings: Brazil skipped over Spain for the No. 1 position, Portugal passed Netherlands for the third slot, England dropped a spot to No. 8 and the United States rose two positions to No. 14 (three ahead of CONCACAF nemesis Mexico).

Besides group favorite England, the Americans' World Cup opponents are ranked 23rd (Slovenia) and 31st (Algeria).

By Steve Goff  |  April 28, 2010; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Brazil , England , FIFA , U.S. men's national team  | Tags: Brazil, England, FIFA, United States men's national soccer team, World Cup, soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday kickaround
Next: D.C. United vs. Glasgow Rangers on July 24

Comments

Hell if you take away the #4 out of 14 we are number... ;-)

Posted by: elfelixg | April 28, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah and if you take away the 1, US is #4, our highest ranking ever--2006. Please, these FIFA rankings are such BS, the US was NEVER a 4 and I'd put lots of money on lower ranked teams in a game against the US today. For example, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ireland or Czech Republic just to name a few. Agree with Goff ... FIFA rankings are for entertainment purposes only.

Posted by: lovinliberty | April 28, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

On the Shalrie Joseph thing - are we to assume that since he has not been suspended that we're talking about a Santino-type situation and not a Jon Conway 'roids-type situation? In other words, does the "League's Substance Abuse Program" refer to abusing both PEDs and drugs/alcohol, or just the latter?

I only ask because it changes the way I feel about the situation - if he was using PEDs, I have no sympathy. If he was in a Tino-type situation, I have all the sympathy in the world and wish him the swiftest possible recovery.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 28, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

If I could edit here, I'd do it - info from Grant Wahl and others suggests that it is an abuse situation and not a PED situation.

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Shalrie.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 28, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Accident info for GeneWells.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 28, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

270 gettin' stuck in!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

No UnitedCast? Why does the CWG hate the US Open?

I'll just have to guess as to the game time temperature, and wear my Benny Olsen Jersey.

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I thought united was webcasting? Did something change, run out off power?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | April 28, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Chuck", "Burn Notice", "24", "Leverage", "In Plain Sight"... they entertain me.

The FIFA rankings? Not so much.

Did someone say "Shalrie"?!

"You should've been gone!
Knowing how they made you feel
And they should've been gone!
After all your abs of steel
Oh... they must have been dreamin'
(must have been a dreamer, yo)
And they must've been someone else
(someone else)
And you should've been over
(over now)

Oh Shalrie
Our mids hold on
Hold on
Oh Shalrie
Our mids hold on
Hold on..."

Steve Perry, "Oh Sherry" (slightly modified), 1984

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 28, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VercengetorixII
==========

Tino was a young kid from a lower middle to middle income family who suddenly came in to a lot of money (for him) and a lot of pressure. Joseph is a 31 year-old man. I have less sympathy for him, but I wish him well.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 28, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@WashDips, I'm pretty sure JkR is referring to the Capital Weather Gang's UnitedCast...

Not going to tonight's match, might have the fee running while we watch the Caps... Still, been sporting the black and red all morning and will continue on through the night.
Vamos United!

Really looking good for the whole Ryan clan to come out for the match vs BrondoFC on Saturday. The LilRyan's first match!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

We can talk about this until we are blue in the face. The US has NO chance of going far, they never will. Our talent and skills can't match that of the Europeans.

Posted by: greginstafford | April 28, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If it doesn't annoy you guys too much:

CharlieDavies9 Thank you all! Didn't pull the Stanky legg out, when I get back in a match you know it's coming! Received 1st tackle today, felt good lol!!
25 minutes ago

That dude, whether he's in South Africa or not, is amazing. It seems to me that the one thing that drives him through is a passion for the game, and the enjoyment out of it. I love seeing that. Love it. Just goes to show what people can so when we care about something and push ourselves to better ourselves and the world around us. That's what I get the most out of his comeback.

And if he gets the chance to do the dance, dang straight I'll be doing an absolutely dreadful version of it myself.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | April 28, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: greginstafford | April 28, 2010 12:44 PM

Thanks for checking in, King George III.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 28, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@Jacob, Davies remark about the tackle feeling good reminds me of the love hate relationship I always felt for the pavement when riding skateboards... Never really felt like you were trying hard enough until you slapped the pavement a time or two...:)

A good way to get rid of any fear is to get it knocked out of ya!
Keep Rockin' Charlie!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson scored for Aris. 1-0, start of 2nd half. Freddy apparently started as well...

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Freddy draws a penalty! Schools the defender in the box with a nice little overhead flick, but his dope team mate misses the resulting PK!

The PK was far from magisterial...

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

BTW the Capital Weather Gang relented under my withering comments and have posted the UnitedCast.

I pledge to use my not insignificant powers for purposes of good, and not for e-vil...

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

JkR: I don't know where you're getting the info or if you're watching a feed, but keep the updates coming! Thanks, man.

Posted by: troy6 | April 28, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I've got the streaming thing sorted out. ATDHE has this match, but SOPcast is the way to go.

That said, I would never encourage anybody to load up on unusual software from web pages with funny languages on any PC that is critical....

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Poor Kia Kamara. His miss made the Telegraph for his awful miss. They are calling it the miss of the decade.

I know we all have seen it but I find it funny that Kamara is making such head-ways across the seas.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 28, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

In an attempt to distract any celebrity obsessed US attackers(I'm looking at you, Freddy), Olympiakos has started George Clooney in goal...

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Adu out in the 89th, EJ gets a goal...

Posted by: Reignking | April 28, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Giorgio Clounopolis?

Posted by: troy6 | April 28, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Freddy takes a seat in the 90th. Looked to be a decent showing.

EJ making a real nuisance of himself to Oly up front with strong hold up play and dangerous pace.

Level of effort in this match by both sides is admirable.

EJ Scores!!!!!! 2-0 93rd min! Hustles in on a lazy backpass, nicks the rock, rounds Clooney and rolls it home!!!

Posted by: JkR- | April 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Spain is the best team in the world and in the last three years has lost only one game (vs. USA in 2009) Brazil has lost more. The problem is that previous results are conjectures. Do not think this list is silly. For example, Portugal is 3rd and in 2009 had horrible results.

Posted by: noonan_17 | April 28, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Rankings look pretty good to me..How could Spain be #1 after losing to the US?

Posted by: mizage | April 28, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

So this means we could play a home-and-away series against Serbia and win, right?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | April 28, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

JkR thanks for the updates on EJ and Freddy. Seems they both had a good showing. For the record, Freddy now has one less appearance than Beasley this year. I'd personally call both EJ and Adu in for the primary 30. No guarantees on either making the final 23 but I can't really think of 30 better players.

Posted by: grubbsbl | April 28, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

+1, grubbs

Posted by: troy6 | April 28, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Wish I was at the bar for this Barca/Inter instead of watching on a computer at home.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Barca will be at the final again; again through bad officiating.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | April 28, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Barcelona have won the Inter 1-0 with a goal from defender Gerard Pique, but not enough because I had to win by two goals (the referee annulled a goal two minutes later legal) Inter was always defending. The Italian coach, Jose Mourinho brought to the fans of Barcelona (typical of this character is a bully and an arrogant)

Posted by: noonan_17 | April 28, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse