Friday kickaround

*Some thoughts on Thursday's MLS matches:

Jamison Olave's fouls 2 1/2 minutes apart that led to Brad Davis's penalty kick goals, turning Real Salt Lake's 1-0 advantage into a 2-1 away deficit (and eventual defeat) at Houston, stirred memories of John Wilson's double infractions in 2006 that dissolved a D.C. United lead on the road after Jeff Cunningham's conversions. The beneficiary: Real Salt Lake. The difference was Olave's missteps came early in the second half, Wilson's in stoppage time.

Houston striker Brian Ching injured a hamstring chasing a ball heading over the end line in the first half before 18,197 at Robertson Stadium. The severity of the injury will probably be revealed today, but if it is as serious as DCU midfielder Clyde Simms' hamstring ailment suffered last weekend, Ching would not be available until just before U.S. World Cup training camp starts. Calling Conor Casey.....
Get Microsoft Silverlight
Edson Buddle continued his early-season scoring surge with two goals in Los Angeles' 2-0 victory over toothless Chivas USA before 19,805 at Home Depot Center. Full video highlights here.

From Landon Donovan's Facebook page.....

Awwww, goat meat always tastes so good

*A lengthy and scathing look at MLS's Web site mess.

*American midfielder Clint Dempsey played 90 minutes in Fulham's 2-1 home victory over Wolfsburg in the first leg of their Europa League quarterfinal.

*The Washington Freedom, which will open its WPS season next Saturday, finalized its 22-player roster.

*The weather outlook for D.C. United's home opener against New England on Saturday night at RFK Stadium.

*United will play West Ham in the final of the U-17 Tiffany Trophy Cup today at 4 p.m. at Bretton Woods Recreation Center in Germantown, Md.

By Steve Goff  |  April 1, 2010; 8:33 PM ET
Categories:  Americans Abroad , D.C. United , Freedom , MLS , U.S. men's national team , Youth soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV listings
Next: D.C. United news & notes

Comments

Man - you know that Fake Sigi has arrived when he's getting links from Senor Goff. I quite enjoy FS's writing and perspective, even though I don't always agree with him, and it's nice to see him getting some recognition.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 2, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Good for the anonymous blogger.

Posted by: jbdavis1 | April 2, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Whew...thanks for the retweet, SG, because I thought Chivas was sponsored by the tabloid Hollywood show.

Posted by: Reignking | April 2, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

no, please, no! do NOT call conor casey! go with one fewer forward and take an extra midfielder if Ching can't go. or take Gomez...or anybody else!

and goat meat does taste good, by the way.

Posted by: troy6 | April 2, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Surfing through the site for the first time was like watching my dad come home drunk and beat my mom, and the sight sent me into an angry, sick depression for days."

Really? I stopped right there. If that is true blogger really needs some therapy. If that isn't true blogger needs to talk to someone else that went to therapy.

Posted by: csd1 | April 2, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Well, the site is pretty awful. The video quality is better, nothing else.

It's hard to feel mournful over the loss of either Ching or Cooper, as long as one of them remains. Does anyone actually believe that they will score in the world cup?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 2, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I think Ching could score in the World Cup and based on form and car accidents would have been much more likely than Jozy or Davies. More importantly, he can hold the ball, pressure defenses, make runs off the ball, battle around in the box, and pass better than any other forward the US has.

Posted by: Dancy1 | April 2, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Are we all looking at the same site? Site may not be the greatest but it's not that bad. I haven't tried to watch live videos on it but the ones I see there right now are pretty good. And the quality is better than the flash crap on the old site.

Besides fakesigi calls the Wizards blog an absolute stunner? Again are we talking about the same site (http://www.hillcrestroadblog.com/)? That looks like crap. Blue text on blue background? Come on!

To me it seems like this fakesigi has a personal axe to grind with Schlosser. Silverlight may not have the adoption rate of flash but it's not too bad. After all, it's good enough for NBC's Olympics.

Finally, asking MLS to create an iPad site is just premature. It just shows this fakesigi is either drunk, needs therapy or had his girlfriend stolen by Schlosser.

Posted by: tundey | April 2, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

This can't be the real DC United. The DC United I know only plays in the rain...

Posted by: asfoolasiam | April 2, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

BTW, can anyone say the quality of the video embedded in this blog isn't better than anything from YouTube? I can see the freaking blades of grass :)

Posted by: tundey | April 2, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

The quality's nice but I can't get the darn thing to stop auto-playing every time I refresh the page.

And I think that's more FS's point - MLS didn't even do the video, it's contracted out. Everything else to do with the actual MLS site itself that's actually under the control of MLS is a disaster - lots of little things tied together, and the lack of content reminds me of the ESPN website where you've got big Flash stuff and headlines on the front page, but you've got to dig ridiculously hard to find actual content (not to mention the fact that MLS content is pushed out by EPL content). Then when you find the actual content, instead of being an IN-DEPTH LOOK AT X or whatever the headline promised, it's more of a boilerplate couple of paragraphs.

And have you gone to the video page? It's the same flash outline at the top as the main page, with the exact same links, and you'd have no idea you were in the "video" section unless you scroll down. Then you find an unorganized collection of videos and it's incredibly difficult to find what you want. The same is true with the photos page. I give you this: http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/hot-players

This features photos of MLS players with what appears to be the filename of the photo in question in the description: "Hot_Men_Beckerman" etc.

It just looks so...sloppy. So minor-league. And if we're going to be a Big Boy League With Big Boy Problems like The Don wants, this isn't going to cut it, especially given the central role that the Internet plays in the life of the vast majority of MLS and American soccer fans.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 2, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm as big a Brian Ching fan as there is, but I've been saying for months that the team shouldn't risk bringing him as the sole traget forward. Once those hamstring issues creep up, they don't really go away. I don't think Casey is a world-class talent, but I do think it's not an either/or with those guys. Casey -- or perhaps Gomez -- should be added as insurance in case Ching goes down again.

Either that, or Ching needs to talk to the Mets' Jose Reyes and find out about the program he went into to get over chronic hamstring issues.

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know anything about tv viewing for el classico next weekend? I know gol has it, but I'm hoping espn or espn2 has it so I can catch it in HD...

Posted by: gregegeg | April 2, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregegeg | April 2, 2010 10:27 AM

GolTV and that's it. They're clinging to Real-Barca for dear life. So no HD - but I'm betting that GolTV's recent announcement of HD coming this summer is no coincidence. They're basically saying, "you have to watch the biggest club match in world football this season in putrid GolTV SD, but maybe you can watch next season's games in HD... maybe!"

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Enjoyed the play of Espindola last night for RSL, until the final minute and his mugging of Boswell. And in true NBA fashion, referee Salazar gave the dreaded double yellow. Not sure how Espindola is allowed to swing an arm around Boswell's neck and tackle him and escape red. Class act from a frustrated player.

Posted by: jojosbo | April 2, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, ref Marrufo for the RSL game.

Posted by: jojosbo | April 2, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

um...I had to give up my tix to dcu's opener. is direct kick still on free preview?

Posted by: troy6 | April 2, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Much love for the link.

csd1 - I don't think I really got a handle on the simile. I played with the language a number of times and it just never came out like I wanted it too. I wanted to convey seeing people you care about doing something that makes you ashamed and angry while they are engaging in substance abuse. I do think I could have done better on that point, and I don't think the way it came out was altogether appropriate. I think you have a good point.

tundey -

As for Hillcrest Road, yay for actual design principles showing up and breaking the monotony of blog design. The blue links have never bothered me.

Also, as I said, nothing personal with Schlosser. This is strictly business.

-FS

Posted by: fakesigi | April 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Both PKs for Houston were arguable, but that's about it - arguable. If they hadn't been called, they'd be arguable the other way, too. I think the first one was too soft, but that's just one idiot fan's opinion.

But what the heck was that double yellow with Espindola and Boswell? A yellow for Boswell using his neck to attack the inside of Espindola's elbow? Was there something going on before that play with those two?
Also, an MLS ref again tolerates a LOT of jawing by the offended team after calling a PK...

As far as phone calls after Ching went down, is it impossible to dial up Buddle? I know, there's lots of personal baggage there, but does he deserve another look over at this point?

Posted by: CDRHoek | April 2, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Disaster? Really?

Will anyone not working for MLS care within days of all the mistakes ending?

Posted by: teo_68 | April 2, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@fakesigi -- That's why simple expositional prose really does work best. I know that in the internet age, people strive to be as outrageous, inflammatory or just as over-the-top as they can because they think it brings eyeballs. Why bother with the simile? It isn't like anything that is so dissimilar, so why try and contort yourself trying to concoct a meaningless and inappropriate image? Just say it plainly.

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CDRHoek | April 2, 2010 11:03 AM
----------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to Jair Marrufo's world....

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Why does Tracee Hamilton get an online Q+A session every other day, seems like, but none for Goff? Other sports writers get them too, regularly. Does Goff not want to do them? Que pasa? I can't believe he does not draw the traffic in those chats that the other sports writers do, if that's the issue.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | April 2, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm just too much of a civilian in these matters, but I thought the prior MLSnet.com website was fine. Why the need to change it? If it ain't broke...

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 2, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I understand the ingrained desire for our players to have hustle and a can-do attitude, but the sad truth is that Ching is McBride minus natural talent. He only exists as a cog in a team that is on par with the opponent. When it comes to beating the big boys, he will be absolutely useless. He wasn't even able to hold up the ball against Mexico.

I've watched him for too many years with the national team, and my the only positive I have ever noted is his connection with Landon. He only scores so enough to be lumped in with Conor Casey and Eddie Johnson, and wins because he works much harder. dancy1, there is no way that Ching scores at the world cup and Jozy doesn't.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2010 10:39 AM

Thanks! I thought Goltv and Deportes had the first classico, but that wouldn't solve my HD dilemma anyways..

Posted by: gregegeg | April 2, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

fischy,

I'll spare the other commenters here the long discussion about writing style that I could easily get sucked into, but I appreciate the feedback. I hear you loud and clear.

-FS

Posted by: fakesigi | April 2, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

===

It seemed like Boswell slammed him into the ground unnecessarily after the other dude jumped on his back. Might have been some elbows in his screening of the ball, as well. Caution 'em both for abject stupidity, tell everyone to cool it, and get the game to it's finish.

Posted by: mason08 | April 2, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregegeg | April 2, 2010 11:23 AM

Sorry, it is going to be on Deportes and ESPN 360. But you're right, that doesn't help our HD craving. Though I imagine the picture on Deportes would be slightly less blotchy than GolTV's.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 2, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Whoa Dc united is offering a great deal on season tickets (with a free dc jersey with name and number and a monthly payment plan option) to bad I can't afford it or else I would be all over it. I never knew they offered payment plans.

Posted by: Norteno4life | April 2, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

*******

Darn, 'cause I wanted to hear you discuss the difference between a simile and an analogy.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 2, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

An analogy is a vertical similie.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

@fakesigi: You may say it's nothing personal with Schlosser, but couldn't you have critiqued the website without including your comments about his qualifications?

And if you think Hillcrest Road is an example of great design, have you looked at the site lately? Give me a break man! That is not an example of breaking the monotony of blog design. White text on dark blue background; light blue text on dark blue background; centered paged design; blank left column, blog content in the middle column, archives and search on the right column...is that what you call breaking the monotony of blog design? A vast majority of blogs have this exact 3-column layout. Without the horrible color scheme.

Posted by: tundey | April 2, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

An analogy is a vertical similie.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2010 11:59 AM

---------------------------------------------------------

Bang! Pow! Squadoosh!

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

tundey,

I think Schlosser's qualifications are directly related to how the project went down, and felt it was appropriate to bring that up. I do think you could make the argument that I focused too much on him, as there is plenty of blame to go around.

Re: Hillcrest Road, while the layout is nothing exciting and new (is there such a thing in the blog world? should there be?) I like the heading, the bold blue and white diagonal stripes, and the image overlays. Those are very nice design elements. I'm a readability stickler, and have never thought the site was illegible. Looks like the search box does suffer from some image overlay issues.

As for similes and analogies, I'm a grammar republican, not a grammar nazi. Although I will defend america when I have to, like when L.E. Eisenmenger and I got into it over what constitutes the subjunctive mood.

-FS

Posted by: fakesigi | April 2, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

An analogy is a vertical similie.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 2, 2010 11:59 AM

---------------------------------------------------------
With all the trouble you've had in the region of your analogy, I'm glad to see you can still simile about it.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's my thinking on the whole simile question -- If you're not from the Deep South, you probably shouldn't even attempt simile. For the Southerner, the simile is the Joga Bonito of language. They've grown up immersed in it and they are the most adept practitioners on the planet. The rest of us can just admire it when we see it and stick to the run and cross, the direct approach being all that we can handle.

Posted by: fischy | April 2, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Bless your heart, fischy.

Posted by: Reignking | April 2, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, that was as clear as a bell. With a methaphor thrown in for good measure. Well done.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | April 2, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

fischy,

Well, that's the great advice that I just didn't take.

And who would've thought it'd figure?

-FS

Posted by: fakesigi | April 2, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I really would have a lot more respect for "fakesigi" if he would come out and use his real name and take responsibility for his comments -- good or bad.

He often says very intelligent things. I agree with some, not others. But I don't have a lot of respect for someone who has an actual blog that refuses to come clean about his identity. That is a lot different than the rest of us just coming on here and posting a one-off comment.

Put another way, would any of us appreciate the work Goff does if we didn't know and respect him as a professional? I'd like to have the same kind of respect for the work of this MLSsoccer.com criticism. But I can't because "fakesigi" doesn't stand behind his work.

Posted by: scott47a | April 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

is your last name 47a or something?

Posted by: DadRyan | April 2, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

My name is Scott Ayers. What's yours?

Perhaps you missed the point where I said I find it different to just be a commenter than to have a blog where you want to be taken seriously making serious points. I think in the latter case using a real name creates credibility. Any idiot can rant and rave.

But we all know who Goff is. And Ives. And Bruce McGuire at Du Nord. And Beau Dure And Grant Wahl. And even Dan Loney and Bill Archer. If "fakesigi" wants to be taken seriously when he criticizes MLS, he shouldn't do so behind a mask.

My opinion.

Posted by: scott47a | April 2, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

With a methaphor thrown in for good measure.

Methaphor addiction is dangerous.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | April 2, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I liked the write-up about the web site. I just went there to watch highlights of last night's games and I think everything FS says is basically true (and amusingly said). One thing I hate, HATE! Is when they don't have a full game highlight package. They had one for the LA-Chivas game, but they didn't have one for RSL-Houston. For the latter, you have to watch individual clips... that's just dumb. In a similar vein, last week there was a game that ended 2-0 and the complete game highlights only showed one of the goals. That's stupid.

Posted by: TwoIsle | April 2, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Man, that "dad/mom" quote from this "Fake Sigi" fruitcake is absolutely demented; I mean, that's beyond-the-pale f'ed up! Goff, seriously -- what the devil is wrong with you that you actually thought this soccer-specific Rush Limbaugh knock-off deserved greater media exposure? And what the devil is wrong with anyone who actually thought it was the least bit amusing?

I've seen more than one blogger or commentator get roasted to a crisp by outraged fans for comments that weren't half as sick and shamelessly offensive as those...and yet some fans actually think this sociopathic whack job of a blogger is amusing? Well, I suppose this is how we know MLS is finally starting to arrive -- the league has obviously begun to attract the lowest common denominator into its fan base!

Posted by: WorldCitizen1 | April 2, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I also think scott47a makes a very good point. There are very, very, very few people in this world that I respect less than Limbaugh, but I'll at least give Rush, sick and bigoted as he is, this much: He at least has the stones to spew his filth under his real name. How pathetic that "Fake Sigi" can't even be as brave as a guy who begged out of serving in Vietnam due to an anal cyst!

Posted by: WorldCitizen1 | April 2, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

whatever, my favorite writers are BikesnobNYC and MF Doom. If you want to argue about how much more relevant someone is because they've been syndicated is your own opinion. IMHO someone who can keep their identity a secret for as long as possible is living every kid's fantasy.

I don't care who "anyone" claims to be or pretends not to be if what they're pushing keeps my attention for longer than five minutes.

The MLS site IS A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. MY Name is Matt Ryan. There, does that make it more palatable for you?

Do I really need to sign up for a whole season of Match Day live tomorrow, and then cancel my subscription just to get a one day pass?!

Just my opinion: I have no problem with artists keeping their anonymity as long as they can pull it off. Stop player hating.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 2, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Face it. MLSSoccer.com is complete garbage. MLSnet.com used to be one of my favorites, and it had the information I needed. Now it doesn't even have basic info, such as which games are televised and where they can be seen. I now go to ESPN for scores and schedules, and am finding ESPN Soccernet to be much improved. If the idea of MLSSoccer.com was to compete with other websites for page views, revenue, etc. it fails because now I don't even go there. Period.

Posted by: DCU4LIFE | April 3, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse