Emilio eager to return to MLS, play for Philly

Brazilian striker Luciano Emilio is losing patience with D.C. United to trade his rights and would like to join a new MLS club, preferably the expansion Philadelphia Union, as soon as possible.

"I am very frustrated with this situation," he told the Insider. "I am not happy they are keeping me from working."

Emilio, the 2007 league MVP, claimed he has a tentative agreement with the league on a new contract and that the trade negotiations are preventing his return. United retained Emilio's MLS rights after the sides broke off talks over the winter.

Much more.....

Emilio, 31, played for Brazilian club Rio Branco during MLS's offseason, and in order to return, his international transfer certificate must be requested by a new club before next Thursday's league deadline. Otherwise, he would have to wait until the summer window opens July 15.

"We told him through his agent to be patient," United General Manager Dave Kasper said. "We understand he wants to play in MLS, but there is more than one team interested."

Several weeks ago, the Insider reported that Philadelphia had shown interest in acquiring Emilio. Today, Emilio said that the Union has offered financial and draft considerations to United. Dallas was curious as well, but Emilio said he wouldn't play there.

Kasper declined to comment about specific offers and did not name which other clubs have entered trade talks. If United reaches a deal with a club for which Emilio is not interested in joining, the trade would be voided.

Union Coach Peter Nowak did not respond to an e-mail requesting comment on the matter.

"Luciano has shown to be a goal scorer in MLS; he's a valuable player," Kasper said of Emilio, who scored 41 league goals the past three seasons. "We obviously want Luci to be happy, but we want to do what is best for D.C. United."

United might be trying to turn the trade tables on Philadelphia. On the eve of the MLS draft in January, the Union drove a hard bargain in negotiations over the rights to goalkeeper Troy Perkins, whom United was eager to acquire. At the last moment, D.C. agreed to send starting midfielder Fred, a first-round draft pick and financial considerations to Philadelphia. Just as United needed a veteran goalie, the Union could use an accomplished scorer.

Emilio said he has options to sign in Brazil but prefers to return to MLS, and ideally would like to be in Philadelphia because it is close to his home in Washington and reunite him with good friend Fred.

"I love the league and the United States -- I am very comfortable here," said Emilio, who has been in Washington the past week and will return to Brazil on Friday before flying back to the United States next week. "My desire is to play this season with a team of my desire and not a club that [United] wants to send me to. All I want is my rights to be respected and justice as a professional."

By Steve Goff  |  April 8, 2010; 3:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS  | Tags: DC United, Luciano Emilio, Major League Soccer, Philadelphia Union, Troy Perkins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ben Olsen, Josh Gros and Philadelphia
Next: Biden to Philly, Fulham to semis, MLS, Emilio

Comments

Does the players' union have a comment?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Two words: Jack McInerney.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 8, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Philly doesn't beat us too badly on Saturday.

Is it too early to start up the Fire Onalfo bus?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 8, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Erif Oflano.

Posted by: Kenobi | April 8, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

FREE LUCI

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | April 8, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Fulham 1 up after 25 seconds (Zamora). Dempsey out of the team with a thigh injury

Posted by: Kev29 | April 8, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Too bad, Luci, but they owe DCU. Sorry you are stuck in the middle.

How did he do at Rio Branco?

Posted by: Reignking | April 8, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

They couldn't possibly trade him to Philly before Saturday, could they? I have to believe is part of this situation.

Posted by: jsm3 | April 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Re: PMcP--Get the engine running and crank the AC. I call back seat.

Posted by: Logan_Circle | April 8, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, Well, Well....
The tables have turned it seems.
I say drive a hard bargain with Philly.
Karma is a ....

Posted by: ussccr | April 8, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Continued from last thread,

Onalfo = Ralph Wiggum

"Me fail at soccer? That's unpossible"

"Mrs. Kansas City and Principal New England were in the closet scoring goals on us and I saw one of the goals and the goal looked at me!"

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 8, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

poor Philly. Now they have the tables turned and DC has the player they covet.
It seems DC has every right to play hardball for substantial payback after the Perkins fiasco. I know that it sucks for Emilio, but that is not DC's problem.
DC already got shafted, now it is Nowak's turn to get the shaft. I would say either Mcinnerny or Okugo would be comparable, or next year's 1st round pick.

Posted by: stephen_james2 | April 8, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

DC United should have them throw in Fred just for a real kick in plums

Posted by: jsm3 | April 8, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

My respect for the FO will double if we get a solid offensive player out of this. Bargain bargain bargain!

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 8, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jsm3 | April 8, 2010 3:20 PM
-------------------

That's what I think is holding up the final pull of the trigger here. Nothing's going to happen until after the game.

Posted by: Hokienautic | April 8, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't know the details of the MLS labor deal but this situation seems wrong. I'm assuming that DCU is not currently paying Emilio a salary and if they're not willing to put Emilio on their own roster then they shouldn't be able to prevent another club from signing him.

Posted by: nmeeker | April 8, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Poopy...You just put that fire the coach bandwagon back in the garage.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 8, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"I am not happy they are keeping me from working."

Hey Emilio, nobody's keeping you from working. You turned down a contract offer from DCU which I'll wager isn't that much less than you're about to get from Philly. You're turning down opportunities to get paid in Brazil. And you're passing on MLS cities, which neither helps your trade value nor motivates DCU to make a deal.

So just shaddup you whinging water bottle thrower.

Posted by: benonthehill | April 8, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@jsm3

I agree. We should ask for Mcinnerny or Okugo but NO DEAL unless we get FRED too!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | April 8, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

If Emilio wants to stay in the U.S. and close to home, I think he should seriously consider playing for D-2 Crystal Palace Baltimore and hope for a date against his former team in the U.S. Open Cup. Sure, he won't get paid much, but he'll be a star on that team and MLS might start to realize how messed up their system really is!

Posted by: paulp_00 | April 8, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

ben he kicked the bottles, it's the Seattle fans that throw them...
;)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

+1 to what benonthehill wrote

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Would be nice to see him in MLS. Though he is not the greatest goalscorer in the league, he does add to the quality...especially with all the new teams arriving this year and next...talent pool is thinning out.

Posted by: nico78 | April 8, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Luci for Orozco or Califf and a draft pick. Sounds like a deal.

Posted by: delantero | April 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

And have them throw in free cheesesteaks for the traveling supporters!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The rules may be unfair to Emilio, but they are what they are. He can continue playing in Brazil if he really wants to just play soccer. Otherwise, under existing League rules, DCU is perfectly entitled to engage in this manner.

It's time DCU played some hardball and extract something of value. I would not mind getting Fred back and inserting him as our CAM.

Posted by: jofij | April 8, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@ jofij,

I think we clearly are playing hardball, but I don't think Fred is the target, Nowak clearly wanted him enough to give us Perkins. However, DC could use either a young forward who can get us some goals or a promising central midfield stud.

Okugo or McInerney. If I was a betting man, I'd bet we're trying to snag one of them. If I was Onalfo, I would be going McInerney. From what I've seen, he's exactly what we need, not a dribbler as much as a ram it in the goal finisher.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | April 8, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

And have them throw in free cheesesteaks for the traveling supporters!
Posted by: I-270Exit1

No peppers, no deal.

Posted by: delantero | April 8, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: granadoskerry | April 8, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

With all this striker talk you have to ask, where is Allsopp?! So much big talk about him and he is MIA....

Posted by: lovinliberty | April 8, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Do I recall correctly that DCU voluntarily upgraded Luci to Designated Player status to get him more money, when it didn't have to, just to do right by him? Posted by: granadoskerry

That's about right. How 'bout Luci either stop whining or give United back the 300 K extra they paid him for a sub-par season(s).

Posted by: delantero | April 8, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Kasper has to look at Emilio in the eyes, and tell him "THIS is BIGGER then you"

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | April 8, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

Wish I could say I set you up for that one. But it worked out well.

-1 to everyone pining for Fred. We've seen that movie before. I'd sooner see Perkins at CAM

Posted by: benonthehill | April 8, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

jofij - Emilio agreed to the "rules" when he signed a contract with MLS. if he didn't want to play by the rules, then he should never have signed here in the first place. DCU has every right to play hardball with Philly. There is no sense in letting him go to a rival on the cheap, especially after what they made us give up for Perkins. and i dont want Fred back. hes worth way more to DCU playing for Philly.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 8, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

You are absolutely right, granadoskerry.

As much as I love Luci, DCU did right by him during his time here and he did not live up to expectations. They have every ethical right in the book (in my opinion) to play hardball and come out on top in a trade deal (for once in a VERY long time it seems).

Speaking of which, when was the last time that DCU made a trade that really made them look smart? My brain is too frazzled to attempt that hard of a scouring, but it probably wasn't as long ago as it seems to me right now.

Posted by: elopingcamel | April 8, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

The millions DCU paid Gallardo, that was out of the goodness of their heart.

Nowak can afford to wait this one out. Unlike some other 1st year coaches I can think of.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 8, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Send him back to hospital.

Posted by: Ron16 | April 8, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@elopingcamel I'd say shipping an unhappy Gomez, who would not sign the club's offer, to Colorado for a 1st round pick (Pontius/Wallace) and a DP slot was pretty good. now what they did with the DP slot wasn't, but that deal seemed very much in DCU's favor, in my opinion.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 8, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Funny reading the comments on a DC board -- give us your first pick and a starting player for a guy you turned out.

I know people are bitter because of how dumb the current DCU management is, but I'd love to hear some realistic ideas. My guess is they end up getting some allocation cash and not much more. It's not like they want the guy. They might as well get something.

Posted by: scott47a | April 8, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't this a situation that would invoke the new supplementary draft for players out of contract that want to stay in MLS?

Posted by: david93 | April 8, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I think all United is doing is avoiding having to play against him this weekend. The deal is probably done, it's probably for future draft pick (which we will inevitably squander) but it's conditional on the deal not being announced until next week.

Posted by: dsheon1 | April 8, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"I am not happy they are keeping me from working...

-Luci

Hey Luci: You signed the deal to play in this carzy league. Then took the DP money. You play for Dallas. Or you can sign USSF Second Division.

You prospered under the crazy leagues rules. Now you gotta deal with the flip side of the craziness...

You weren't whining about the jacked up rules when you got your DP money, or were ya? While other guys were getting $14k per year. Some of the rules were messed up when you signed.

Hope it works out for you and thank you for your service to the club.

All the best,
Yanki-yank

Posted by: yankiboy | April 8, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Bet we end up with Allen Iverson.

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | April 8, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

If Emilio wants to work, I say Ben's Chili Bowl should hire him as a celebrity cashier. I'd pay an extra $5 if he sang "you're beautiful" while he hands over the cheese fries.

Posted by: diego_r | April 8, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Funny reading comments on a Seattle board--hey Biff, check out my new pom poms and Rave Utilikilt. As soon as I get my hands on the matching saddle shoes my cheerleading out fit will be perfect!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Bitter? Whose bitter? I always dreamed of watching Luci and Fred playing for Nowak on a beautiful new pitch next to the river, so everything's working out fine.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 8, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Looks like there's a feature up on mlsnet.com or whatever that lame excuse for a Web site is, on Luci. Too bad the feature stories still don't open when you click on them. At least not in Google Chrome.

Posted by: dsheon1 | April 8, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@VTUnited -

That is a great example. Thanks. I needed that.

Posted by: elopingcamel | April 8, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 8, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 8, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

It's also being reported that the Union are trying to lure Carlos Ruiz. That could complicate some things for Emilio as well. Could they both be headed to Philly? Seems unlikely to me. I think it's one or the other. He's actually looked lively again in his stint in Mexico with Puebla. Ruiz could be a decent pick-up.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | April 8, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I sure some sort of deal will get finalized around 8 or 8:30 Saturday night.

Posted by: Tweaked | April 8, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't want carlos Ruiz to play for Puerto Rico Islanders so I sure wouldn't want that whiny little, flopping con artist on DC United.

If he brought a LOT of people out to UMBC stadium then I'd bite my tounge, take the good with the bad and just accept that he was helping Palace Baltimore establish themselves.

I can't stand that guy.

Posted by: yankiboy | April 8, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

crazy:
"Gallardo, Brewers agree to contract"

Who knew he could pitch??

Posted by: rockotodd | April 8, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I'll never buy a ticket from a club that signs Carlos Ruiz.

Posted by: OWNTF | April 8, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

"DCU upgraded Emilio in order to keep him, not out of the goodness of their heart...."

No, they did it to perk him up and try to get him scoring again after his slow start to '08. It didn't work, and was lost in the shuffle of a series of bizarre FO moves, but it's on the record.

The article also suggests that DCU was eager to deal Luci if he didn't earn his money. That was only two years ago, and it's the same management team today. None of this should surprise anybody!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | April 8, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I know what the rules are that apply to Luci's situation, but DCU has repudiated his services and unless they are willing to pay him, thay are exposing themselves and the league to an ant-trust action if they insist on compensation.

The MLS rules that are operating in Luci's case would not pass the "rule of reason" test under federal law, regardless of whether they were collectively bargained. Luci's opportunity to ply his trade is being unreasonably controlled by a business entity that has repudiated his services.

Posted by: lgm6986 | April 8, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

ahhh DadR, don't be jealous. I'm sure it's just a couple years until you can make the trip to Baltimore to see the new stadium.

As far as the actual topic here, I wonder how much of Philly announcing interest in Ruiz is just trying to turn up the heat on DCU?

And how funny would it be if the little coach with the Napoleon complex who complains about flopping not being "manly" has Carlos Ruiz on his roster?

Posted by: scott47a | April 8, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

lgm6986 - as a part of the deal Luci signed with MLS (not DCU), he accepted the terms that he is now faced with. he can go play in Brazil if he wants to play. but if he wants to play here, then DCU gets something for him.

Posted by: VTUnited | April 8, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Why do people not seem to understand that MLS was already sued for single entity and won the law suit? The league is legal. Single entity isn't going anywhere.

Okugo, cap money, and next year's #1 pick. Call it revenge for Perkins.

Posted by: florifischetti | April 8, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

scott47a, what part of my posts come off as jealousy? I'm making fun of your bandwagoning, male cheerleading, NOLA hand grenade barf color coordinating, micked up capo and crowd farce.

For someone who's got a freaking Orca for a coach and can't seem to see that there might be something to coaches league wide calling the Flounders a bunch of divers, I'd lay off the "little man" talk... LOL.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

While I understand why MLS has these rules they are still absurd, but they ARE the rules. Luci is stuck until DCU works something out with Philly or another team.

But...it's not relevant whether or not he performed up to expectations in his last contract. It's unfair to keep him from working in his chosen profession in the U.S. when (1) DCU does not want him, (2) he has a green card, and (3) a team that does want him (apparently).

That's messed up.

This illustrates perfectly one of the key issues that the players union had...and capitulated on (they had no choice in this go round--maybe next time).

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 8, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

lgm6986 -- I guess you slept through the last several times we went through this? And haven't read Fraser v. MLS? Or studied the MLS business structure?

The league's very design was an exercise in reverse-engineering to avoid anti-trust action; and the very concerns you're voicing have already withheld such an action once before.

But then again, I seem to remember this being explained to you several days ago, complete with links.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | April 8, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, dadryan, sounds pretty darn jealous to me.

Posted by: j_doe | April 8, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"Okugo, cap money, and next year's #1 pick. Call it revenge for Perkins.

Posted by: florifischetti"

I'd be PSYCHED if we got all that. Sadly, it will likely be less, given Luci's seeming determination to go nowhere but Philly.

Posted by: elopingcamel | April 8, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

BEONTHEHILL, you da man! Well said, very.

Posted by: cohenra | April 8, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

VercengetorixII:

Other than Le Toux, do they have an attacking player that's an improvement over what we have? Moreno is not a reliable source of goals, most of us do remember Fred without rose-tinted glasses, and everyone else is a teenager (and thus, a potential bust).

Le Toux is their only attacker that can be called both crafty and reliable. I suspect that he won't be going anywhere.

I suspect we'll be getting cash and a pick (not the 1st rounder we traded away for Perkins), or just the pick back. Some of the offers floating around here are absurd.

dsheon1:

Squandered draft picks...like Pontius and Wallace? Or Barklage?

Just because things are going poorly does not mean that every single thing is going to be a disaster.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | April 8, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

lemme guess j_doe, you're a Flounders fan too... We're all Green with envy right? Right...

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

DaddyR, you're a riot. For the record I'm rocking my best Sigi imitation belly at 6'5", 265 -- all in bandwagoning "rave green." It's like if Sigi grew a foot and ate Piotr Nowak.

I think DC would do best to get some allocation cash for Luciano and move on. He's not really a great player anymore. And clearly DC is hoarding cash at this point. Didn't Fischy say they are something like $500,000 under the cap?

I sure hope the club snag a couple new players for the sake of DaddyR and the rest of the DCU posters. People who have read my posts on here before know I have a lot of respect for the history of the club. I honestly feel really bad at what has happened to you guys. Here's hoping the Onalfo-induced reign of terror is short.

Posted by: scott47a | April 8, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

"Emilio, who has been in Washington the past week and will return to Brazil on Friday before flying back to the United States next week. "

The guy who writes the 'facts' for this blog, 'Steve Goff' wrote that up top, above the comments.

For those wondering if the coming Philly game had any impact on the deal...

Posted by: JkR- | April 8, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Well shucks scotty, you and I sound like we've got a little more in common than I realized. Tipping the scales at @235lbs and a mere 6' 2" sounds like you've got me beat in the Clydesdale category...;)
Never the less, I do know you are a knowledgeable and legit fan from here and elsewhere. Just curious though, DO you have a Utilikilt? :)

Posted by: DadRyan | April 8, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: florifischetti
============

Let's wait a little while. I'm sure someone will bring up the RICO Act, Brown v Board of Education and Miranda v Arizona.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | April 8, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Haha, what is it with the 1-95, intra-divisional trades between DC and Philly? Perkins? McNabb? Luci? Can we throw in Gilbert Arenas and get Chase Utley? Just as long as we don't give them any Caps . . .

Posted by: regularfan | April 8, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

And what, pray tell, is wrong with a Utilikit? If the women's soccer league can have skirts in their kits, why can't our manly MLS men trot around like true Scotsmen? And hey, now that we've lost the stripes, maybe plaid would bring our mojo back..

Posted by: daandre3 | April 9, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

"Asked whether United (no goals in two matches) was considering retaining Emilio, Kasper said: "No. We have our group of forwards right now."

Who? Where? This guy's an idiot who should have been fired years ago. Just like the rest of minority ownership and front office.

Posted by: bestmick1 | April 9, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse